Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-08-2003, 04:01 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Question Which is the best bad team in NCAA Football 2004?

The reason behind this question is I'm bored with my USC Trojan dynasty where I've won the last 4 championships and am repeatedly getting the top recruiting class in the nation. I'm also bored with my Eagles Dynasty as I've managed to win several superbowls in a row with McNabb and Company. I want a really hard challenge and can't decide which team I should pick to try to build up for an NCAA Dynasty. Of course, this answer would be different if I was continuing my current career and just changing jobs, but I can't leave my beloved Trojans, so I will be starting a new dynasty with the default rosters that come with the game. Any suggestions?

Edited to Clarify: I am looking for suggestions for the hardest team to win with and build up for dynasty mode.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-08-2003 at 04:02 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I like to take one of the worst schools in a BCS conference. Indiana, Baylor, Vandy, something like that.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:06 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

Can't go wrong choosing UTEP...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:09 PM   #4
dfisher
High School JV

Rice. I'm in the middle of a dynasty with them. Holy crap they are bad. Hope you like the option though; they only have 2 quarterbacks who are both very injury prone. I spent 6 weeks with both knocked out, rotating receivers in at quarterback depending on formation.

Dan
dfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:12 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Actually since I've run a pro style offense at USC, the option does appeal to me in some ways for something different. I'm going to start a dynasty this evening with my favorite of all the suggestions that come on this thread. Thanks for the quick replies already.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:18 PM   #6
Daimyo
College Starter

My experience is from NCAA 2003 using the coach contracts option without playing or coaching any games so it might not apply. Playing this way, my dynasties usually last a long time (I think my current dynasty is in the 40's right now) and I only focus on the dynasty aspects of the game.

I found middle of the road teams in great conferences to be the biggest challenge. For example, I can take Indiana from 1 star to 4 stars in my sleep and if I can get them to 6 stars I'll never drop down again. But in the 4-5 star range it seemed nearly impossible. I think you had to finish in the top 20 2/3 seasons or win the Big Ten 1/3 to keep the job and after coming up from 1 star so quick (and thus lacking the organization depth) that is really hard to do (you essentially add another really good team to an already loaded conference).

The other thing I would do to inrease the challenge is take on a 1/2 star Big Ten team, bring them up to the 4 star level and then switch to another 1/2 star Big Ten team. After you do that a couple times you have all the original Big Ten power houses plus your old teams to compete with it becomes nearly impossible to finish in the top 20 and keep the 4-star job, let alone do well enough to raise the program to 5/6-stars.

Last edited by Daimyo : 10-08-2003 at 04:19 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:21 PM   #7
Celeval
Pro Starter

Wyoming sucks, they're consistantly near the bottom of all my dynasties.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:23 PM   #8
Vince
Pro Starter

Troy State's pretty bad, plus as independents they have the flexibility of scheduling whoever they want, so you can make the game as difficult/easy as you wish.

I'd think, however, that Daimyo's got the better idea. If you're looking for a real challenge, take a mediocre to crappy team in a tough conference. With games against top flight schools locked in from the get-go, you're practically guaranteeing yourself losses every year for the first few years. If you combine that with putting yourself in a tough area to recruit, that would be one hell of a challenge.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:39 PM   #9
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Don't take any team in Texas, Florida or California. It is really easy to make any of them a powerhouse.

Wyoming and UNLV are pretty bad teams. Maybe Hawaii, as its a little difficut to recruit from there.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:55 PM   #10
Daimyo
College Starter

Another thing I did in one dynasty was substitute in two more Indiana schools for Central Florida and another of the MAC teams just to overcrowd the state and make recruiting tougher. I made both of those teams 4-stars to begin with so they were pretty tough to recruit against. Indiana is small to begin with and even without adding schools you have to compete with Notre Dame, Purdue, and Ball St so with those two added there weren't many leftovers for IU.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:58 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming. How many stars does Wyoming start with? I think they might be a good start just because of location and competition within their conference.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:37 PM   #12
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I like my University of Alaska 2* team. Always a bitch recruiting. I made us in the independants replacing Troy St. Still waiting after 2 seasons to win more than 3 games in a season.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 06:06 PM   #13
General Mike
Pro Starter

Rutgers!
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 06:13 PM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Being from NJ and having gone to school at Rutgers Medical School (now renamed Robert Wood Johnson Medical School secondary to a large donation he made,) Rutgers has definite sentimental appeal to me. However, I'm concerned the proximity to NY and PA will make recruiting them into a powerhouse too easy. Anyone who has had Rutgers' dynasties who can comment on this?
Old 10-08-2003, 06:58 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, I checked the game and the following are the 1 Star Teams to start (did not check 1AA teams): Arkansas State, Army, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Idaho, Kent State, Mid Tennesee State, Navy, UConn, UL - Lafayette, UL - Monroe, UTEP, New Mexico State, North Texas, Ohio, Rice, San Jose State, Troy State, Tulse, and Utah State.

So, I'm likely to pick one of these teams, however, I'm also considering Rutgers which is a two star team facing tough competition in the Big East. I'm also considering putting a team in from Alaska for the recruiting challenge. I really like the idea of UL - Lafayette or Monroe cause they are in my new adopted home state, but I just can't decide. I'll look around at teams for another hour or so and then decide. Who knows, I might even try my hand at a dynasty report.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-08-2003 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:01 PM   #16
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Eaglesfan27
Being from NJ and having gone to school at Rutgers Medical School (now renamed Robert Wood Johnson Medical School secondary to a large donation he made,) Rutgers has definite sentimental appeal to me. However, I'm concerned the proximity to NY and PA will make recruiting them into a powerhouse too easy. Anyone who has had Rutgers' dynasties who can comment on this?

I have a Rutgers dynasty going on over in the dynasty forum, and I've turned them into a power house, but I did use alot of cheat pennants the 1st year to get them off on a good start.

If you really want a challenge, Wyoming may be the hardest school to use, because of their low prestige, and the size of their state allows few in-state recruits. I would put Idaho on the same level as them.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:47 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Your Rutgers dynasty is nice. I'm going to have to work on my writing skills before I post a dynasty. I've narrowed my choices to Rice, Idaho, Army, Navy, Wyoming, and UTEP. I'm debating setting up my first poll ever on this board to help me make the final decision.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:02 AM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

Woohoo! Go Miners!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 04:48 AM   #19
Balldog
Pro Rookie

What about a D1-AA school?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:53 AM   #20
Butter
Coordinator

My unfinished Rice dynasty (I had to abandon it since I'm going back to school now) is still going, just without write-ups.

It's not all that hard to recruit there, really. If you plan to play the games out, there are a lot of teams that just can't stop the Flexbone, if run properly. Lots of FB dives and QB following the FB up the middle runs to soften the corners, where the REAL yardage is to be made. If you can recruit a scrambling QB with a good arm, this dynasty becomes cake. The problem running the option is your QB will get hurt. I have a stud who has never played more than 4 full games in 1 year, and is now a senior, out for the year with a broken leg.

I am currently in year 7, I believe, year 3 in the Big 12. Year 2 in the Big 12, I went unbeaten, and played #1 Oklahoma in the Big 12 Champ. game, and lost 21-13. Went to the Cotton Bowl and thumped Georgia, finished #3. This year, we have been #1 ever since week 1, after we were preseason #3 and killed Miami in game 1. You will still have some good games on All-American. I beat #3 Wisconsin 23-14. I beat Missouri 59-7, and had nearly 500 yards rushing. I barely beat unranked Colorado 16-13. If you face a team that can shut down those corners consistently, it's tough, especially if you have a QB who can't throw real well.

If you want a real big challenge, try taking a I-AA school and throw them in the SEC or Big 12 or something.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:23 AM   #21
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
I like my University of Alaska 2* team. Always a bitch recruiting. I made us in the independants replacing Troy St. Still waiting after 2 seasons to win more than 3 games in a season.
Same goes for my Anchorage State team...very little recruiting options.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:39 PM   #22
SFL Cat
College Starter

Re: Which is the best bad team in NCAA Football 2004?

Quote:
Originally posted by Eaglesfan27
The reason behind this question is I'm bored with my USC Trojan dynasty where I've won the last 4 championships and am repeatedly getting the top recruiting class in the nation. I'm also bored with my Eagles Dynasty as I've managed to win several superbowls in a row with McNabb and Company. I want a really hard challenge and can't decide which team I should pick to try to build up for an NCAA Dynasty. Of course, this answer would be different if I was continuing my current career and just changing jobs, but I can't leave my beloved Trojans, so I will be starting a new dynasty with the default rosters that come with the game. Any suggestions?

Edited to Clarify: I am looking for suggestions for the hardest team to win with and build up for dynasty mode.

Yeah, right! How could you win several Super Bowls with an overrated QB like McNabb?
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote