Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2003, 06:58 PM   #1
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Nagging Question

so, we've got this Do-Not-Call List, which is all fine and dandy.

but...how does it work? How does the telemarketer know not to call? I'm picturing a big printout that each telemarketer has at their desk with all 51 million numbers...and they just leaf through before calling?

(yes, I know...it's all autodial computerized technology...but are they designed to be able to handle checking against a 51 million number database?)

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 07:45 PM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Which is why I still contend that it would be much more effective to have the blocks on your end (as in the Solicitation Call Blocking feature I have with Qwest).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:00 PM   #3
bbor
Pro Starter

When i first read this title i thought it said "Napping Question",I was like DAMN...Finally something i am an expert at

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:01 PM   #4
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I have no napping questions. I am an expert already in that field.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:21 PM   #5
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

Re: Nagging Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
so, we've got this Do-Not-Call List, which is all fine and dandy.

but...how does it work? How does the telemarketer know not to call? I'm picturing a big printout that each telemarketer has at their desk with all 51 million numbers...and they just leaf through before calling?

(yes, I know...it's all autodial computerized technology...but are they designed to be able to handle checking against a 51 million number database?)

I can answer this question accurately and the answer is yes. The DNC numbers are removed before the numbers ever reach the dialer database, so removing DNC numbers does not impact production calling. I would imagine the DNC's are broken down by area code and possibly exchange code to optimize the process, but it still would take awhile to run.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:23 PM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I have a nagging question: my wife thinks that if she starts a sentence with "I'm not nagging, but...", and then blatantly nags me, it's somehow not nagging. How can I get her to stop doing that?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:29 PM   #7
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Which is why I still contend that it would be much more effective to have the blocks on your end (as in the Solicitation Call Blocking feature I have with Qwest).

Nobody is forcing you to sign up. At least 51 million people want this, and almost any industry would be extremely happy to have that kind of market share for a service.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:47 PM   #8
Buccaneer
Head Coach

clintl, I know but how many of the 51 million will be satisfied. It seems that like with many federal programs, the expectations are high but the reality shows a different story.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:50 PM   #9
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
I have a nagging question: my wife thinks that if she starts a sentence with "I'm not nagging, but...", and then blatantly nags me, it's somehow not nagging. How can I get her to stop doing that?

haha! good stuff!
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:52 PM   #10
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:

which is why i still contend that it would be much more effective to not have a phone at all.

Without a phone in my apartment i have gotten exactly zero (0) telemarketing calls over the past 2 months! how about that for results?
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:56 PM   #11
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
clintl, I know but how many of the 51 million will be satisfied. It seems that like with many federal programs, the expectations are high but the reality shows a different story.

they'll all be satisfied...right up until election time and those same politicians start leaving messages on my machine 24/7.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:14 PM   #12
Tasan
College Starter

Well, if the national works anything like the state level here in Texas, you'll be REAL satisfied. I was averaging about 1-2 calls per day from telemarketters. Since signing up, I've gotten ONE in 4 months.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:25 PM   #13
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
which is why i still contend that it would be much more effective to not have a phone at all.

Without a phone in my apartment i have gotten exactly zero (0) telemarketing calls over the past 2 months! how about that for results?

And yet, you still have unusually high phone sex charges on your phone bill... funny how that works.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 11:24 PM   #14
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny

How is your dial-up working

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 10:48 AM   #15
clintl
College Starter

Quote:

So far, it seems to be working very, very well. In the last week, I have had exactly one phone call from someone who shouldn't have been calling (i.e. a business I had no established business relationship with).
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 11:48 AM   #16
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs

the Chippah