Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2003, 01:04 AM   #1
JeeberD
General Manager

Newsflash: Idiots rioting in Boston

Taken from a poster at a different site who took it from a a third board...

Quote:
riots rocking fenway area in boston
Oct 07, 2003: 00:14

anyone else there? I was at Jillians, fucking GROUND zero for the event. as i walked back to Northeastern I saw the exodus of thousands of people literally storming over to fenway, destroying everything around. cops couldent do anything, but try to wave nightsticks. i saw at least 3 dozen cars being trampled and smashed. someone even managed to find a mattress and crowd surf with it. anyways, this is just the first round, whats gonna happen when we beat the yankees.

Why do people feel like they have to go out and destroy stuff when their team wins? Friggin morons...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:08 AM   #2
jerem77
Mascot

At least they don't have to worry about a repeat next week.
jerem77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:19 AM   #3
Blade6119
Coordinator

glad my team didnt make the play-offs....wait...dangit...both sides are negative
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:21 AM   #4
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Uhhhh, didn't they just advance in the playoffs (against a team that everyone beats), not actually win anything yet?

I guess they know this is the end of the road.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:26 AM   #5
mckerney
Coordinator

Hell, here in Minnesota we don't even need a reason to riot:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/breaking_news/6940180.htm

Posted on Sun, Oct. 05, 2003

45 face charges in riot at MSU
BY AMY BECKER
Pioneer Press

People set trash bins and cars afire and blocked streets near Minnesota State University, Mankato overnight Saturday as a riot broke out following the homecoming football game.
It took more than 150 police officers from 41 agencies to disperse the crowd, estimated to have been as many as 3,000 people.

Forty-five people were arrested, 20 of them MSU students. Four police officers and a dozen onlookers or participants were injured, none seriously, authorities said.

The trouble started about 10:30 p.m., on the 1500 block of Monks Avenue, just a few blocks from where North Dakota State University’s football team beat the Mavericks 20-9. Jim Franklin, Mankato’s public safety director, said two of his officers were called to a disturbance, unsuccessfully tried to quiet a crowd of 200-300 people, then backed off to await reinforcements.

In the meantime, the crowd grew to about 500 people, leading police to return and retreat a second time before soliciting help from all available area agencies.

When the full complement of police arrived, officials said they found thousands of people milling around on residential streets next to the campus.

It was a daunting scene, witnesses said.

The tumult prompted Mankato police to summon an armored personnel carrier with a dozen officers inside to respond to a 911 call that a woman had quit breathing in a building in the area.

The vehicle “began taking incoming bottles, rocks and bricks,” some chucked from the roof of the building, Franklin said. Officers retrieved the woman and she was fine, but Franklin called the incident one of the saddest parts of the riot.

“It started out as just rowdiness but then everybody’s ego kicked in — like, let’s see how far you can push it to the limit,” said Myron Medcalf, a junior and the editor of the campus newspaper, who witnessed the riot.

People were swarming cars, throwing bottles, ripping landscaping fence up from around student apartments, dragging Dumpsters and lighting cars and trash afire.

“Every person you talked to to say why is this happening — nobody knew,” Medcalf said. “It was madness to watch five and six people push a Dumpster.”

“People just started going crazy,” said Ross Kuesel, a freshman. “Everyone was throwing everything at the cars … screaming ‘M-S-U.’ ”

As police surrounded the crowd, some people dispersed and others were forced into the Campusview apartments area.

Many apparently entered unlocked apartment buildings, prompting police to spray pepper balls into some of the buildings to encourage people to stay in their apartments. The spray left a fat orange splat on the wall of one building that was still visible Sunday.

“I gagged for half an hour,” said sophomore Nicole Lemke who was in one of the buildings.

She agreed with campus and city officials that drinking was largely to blame. “There wasn’t a sober person around,” following MSU’s football loss, putting the team’s record at 0-6. Lemke’s friend, Tyler Pekar, said one afternoon party included 10 kegs of beer. Police said that some of the people they took into custody had blood-alcohol levels as high as .22 percent. One person was taken to detox.

The disturbance finally settled down about 4 a.m., and streets in the area were reopened by 6 a.m. But in the neighborhood and on campus, consequences will play out for far longer.

City and university officials held a press conference at MSU Sunday afternoon to clarify that events did not take place on campus and that only a small percent of the large crowd actually did any damage.

University President Richard Davenport said he was “extremely disappointed,” about the riot and emphasized that the campus is a safe, sober environment.

Unfortunately, such events happen often enough that Davenport said he is able to draw on the experience of other colleges and universities. MSU will review policies including looking at whether homecoming events need to be changed. The students involved will face possible prosecution by the city as well as a student judicial process that allows for suspension and even expulsion.

One person was arrested in connection with third-degree riot, a felony. Many of the other 44 will face gross misdemeanor or misdemeanor charges, said Franklin, who added that there wasn’t room in the local jail, nor need to jail all of those arrested overnight.

Police are still investigating the riot. They also are seeking video and still photos from witnesses to help them piece together all that happened.

MSU junior Ben Nelson echoed the feelings of city officials and other Mankato residents Sunday afternoon.

“I’m really upset,” said Nelson, who was working on campus Saturday night. “I was making fun of the Gophers when they did it and said this could never happen here.”

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:32 AM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

Did that used to be Mankato State University? I remember that UTEP beat them pretty badly in football some time in the late eighties...

Old 10-07-2003, 07:25 AM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The kids now a days don't even know how to riot properly...

back in my day... half the city would be burning!

errr nevermind

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:26 AM   #8
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Re: Newsflash: Idiots rioting in Boston

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Taken from a poster at a different site who took it from a a third board...

(images SNIPPED)

Why do people feel like they have to go out and destroy stuff when their team wins? Friggin morons...

The funny thing about this is that, Earth to Red Sox morons, YOU HAVEN"T WON A GAWD DAMN THING. Big friggin' whoop, you won a divisional series. So did three other teams. If this is all it takes for you to get fired up and start trashing places, you are idiots.

Of course, since the Red Sox never can beat the Yankees in postseason play, maybe they figure this is their only chance.

Last edited by WussGawd : 10-07-2003 at 08:28 AM.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:46 AM   #9
KevinNU7
College Starter

lol, those pics are from the Pats Super Bowl win
Old 10-07-2003, 09:00 AM   #10
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinNU7

ROFL. OK, this might make a little more sense.

Hmm. If i read it on the Internet, it must be true. I suspect a Yankees fan was having a bit of fun.

WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:53 AM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Really? Damn, I hate when I get tricked., Bastard...

Old 10-07-2003, 11:16 AM   #12
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Out here at UMass, people rioted Saturday night after we won a game, about 3000 kids that eventually ended up with some people flipping a couple cars and bringing in the riot police who shot pepper spray bullets and tear gas. So last night that prompted this pre-emptive response by the police;

http://umass.servebeer.com/gallery/v...e=riot2&id=aba

There are about 200 or so there. It didn't escalate as much, but there were still fires, bottles being thrown, fireworks, and eventually the riot police marching through and using tear gas. This is the 4th straight week out here they've had to break up a party with tear gas and riot police. Luckily, this weekend most people go home so there might not be anything huge, but it seems to be building up to an eventual huge event. Unfortunately, I'm predicting someone is going to die before it's all said and done.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 11:44 AM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Are you sure? The celebration, car flipping and stuff was all over the radio this morning. They even had interviews with someone who's car got destroyed supposedly...
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 11:51 AM   #14
KevinNU7
College Starter

Those pictures were from teh Super Bowl. However there was some rioting in Boston last night. It's disappointing to see and I'm disappointed in everyone who takes part in it. To me it just shows how much we are still jsut basic animals deep down.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:19 PM   #15
Sublime
High School JV

I think those pictures were from last night, i was there, and there was definetly a white Volkswagen Passat flipped right in the intersection next to Cask n Flagon. Not to mention about 40 ppl on top of the Red Sox Billboards...the one on the left of the Jillians billboard was a pic of the whole Sox team, adn to the right, was the Cowboy Up billboard. Not to mention all the cops had the riot gear out forming a circle around the Passat.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:24 PM   #16
Sublime
High School JV

dola

For the most part it really wasn't a big time "riot." One car was flipped (in that area mind you), and a couple of cars that were right in the middle of the crowd had broken mirrors and waht not. I mean it wasn't all that violent, a lot of cheering, chanting. Just a few overly drunk ppl made asses out of themselves. One jumped off the billboard and wound up okay, but dumbasses like that were the only violent part. The fire engines came, and for the most part let ppl take pictures of the firefighters, who were slapping ppls hands on there way in. And there definetly was a guy on a mattress "crowd surfing."