Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2003, 01:49 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

IE Question

Can someone tell me what setting I need to change to stop this from happening:

I have two web pages open at once, and I want to keep one page on its current page but go to another site on the other. On my work computer when I try this, it always changes the page I don't want to change. So, if I have ESPN on one page, and I open another browser page to my home page, and want to leave ESPN up while going from my home page to another link, it will change the ESPN page, not my home page - unless I manually type in the link.

On my home computer, this is not a problem. Any solutions?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 01:54 PM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wha? That's strange. You don't have your homepage written to open links in a named browser window, do you?

Using IE....someone is bound to come around and label you an infidel!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:10 PM   #3
Ksyrup

It's not just from the home page, either. It's any two pages - if I try to go to a favorite from one page, it will automatically do open that link from the other page.

All I know is, it's freakin' annoying as hell.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-30-2003, 02:48 PM   #4
Subby
lolzcat

Just get Mozilla Firebird and all of your problems will be solved.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 02:50 PM   #5
Ksyrup

I may eventually do that at home (although this problem doesn't occur at home ), but this is not my computer and they are rather strict about what can and can't be put on it, so I'm not changing the browser. In fact, I don't even have a sound card.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:52 PM   #6
Subby
lolzcat

Then I think you need to talk to they
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Old 09-30-2003, 03:00 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Ksyrup, I'll have to check at home, but there's something in the internet option that would loosely translates from French to English to something like "reuse windows to launch shortcuts"...

Here at work, I have IE 6.0 in French, but I'll check at home. Anyway it's under "tools", "internet option", would be the "advanced" tab (the one the most to the right), then it's under "Navigation" in French...

FM
Old 09-30-2003, 03:07 PM   #8
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by FrogMan Here at work, I have IE 6.0 in French, but I'll check at home. Anyway it's under "tools", "internet option", would be the "advanced" tab (the one the most to the right), then it's under "Navigation" in French...
Tools>>Internet Options>>Advanced>>Look under Browsing heading, choose Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:12 PM   #9
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
Tools>>Internet Options>>Advanced>>Look under Browsing heading, choose Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts.

Thanks Subby, don't know if that's what you meant, but I think he should uncheck the option "Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts" so that way IE won't try to launch the shortcut in the previous window (let's call it the ESPN one )...

FM
Old 09-30-2003, 03:13 PM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, looks like my first translation was quite close to what MS went with

FM
Old 09-30-2003, 03:17 PM   #11
Ksyrup

Thanks guys. That's got it.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:30 PM   #12
Ksyrup

Dola.

BTW, I tried Mozilla tonight and I wasn't impressed. IE pages come up for me instantly, Mozilla was like watching golf. Plus, it looked just like Netscape. Not sure what the big deal, is, but the speed killed it for me.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:41 PM   #13
McSweeny
College Starter

opera is where it's at, not your foolish mozilla firebirds or ie or what have you
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:35 AM   #14
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Dola.

BTW, I tried Mozilla tonight and I wasn't impressed. IE pages come up for me instantly, Mozilla was like watching golf. Plus, it looked just like Netscape. Not sure what the big deal, is, but the speed killed it for me.
That's funny - I had the opposite experience.

Oh well

PS. Opera is for sissies...
Old 10-01-2003, 06:26 AM   #15
Easy Mac

Related IE Question:

Whenever I use IE and I click on a link, it attempts to open in a new browser window. However, everytime it tries, The window freezes and nothing loads. Anyone know why?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:40 AM   #16
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
Related IE Question:

Whenever I use IE and I click on a link, it attempts to open in a new browser window. However, everytime it tries, The window freezes and nothing loads. Anyone know why?

Any link or just one particular link?

FM
Old 10-01-2003, 07:05 AM   #17
Ksyrup

Actually, back to my original question...

Now that I've made that change, when I only have one browser window open and want to go from, say, ESPN to FOFC, it opens in another window. Every time I change pages, it opens in another window - 5 different sites, 5 pages open. I think that's more annoying than the problem which originally led me to ask the question in the first place, so I've unchecked that option again and am back to square one.

I just want each window to act separately from the other (when two are open), and I don't want a second (or third, or fourth) window to open every time I change pages.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:13 AM   #18
Buzzbee
College Starter

KSyrup - There is a "manual" way to acheive what you want, I think. When you want a link to open a new browser, right click (or left click if you are setup for lefthanded mouse use). This will give you a menu and one of the options will be "Open In New Window." This will most likely acheive what you want, but you'll have to remember to right click, and make an extra click on the menu.

OS's on work and home the same? IE versions the same? If they are the same, then you might compare the two. If the IE versions are different and you home version is more current, you might check into updating your work IE.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:17 AM   #19
Ksyrup

Don't even get me started about what we use in this office. We're actually on Windows 98 - 1st Edition. We can barely run any software that's come out in the past few years, simply because we're not on 2nd edition, let alone 2000 or XP.

That might be the issue right there...
Old 10-01-2003, 02:12 PM   #20
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by FrogMan
Any link or just one particular link?

FM

any
Old 10-01-2003, 02:26 PM   #21
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

that may be the same thing Ksyrup had happen after he had unchecked the option mentionned above...

FM
Old 10-01-2003, 02:34 PM   #22
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Wha? That's strange. You don't have your homepage written to open links in a named browser window, do you?

Using IE....someone is bound to come around and label you an infidel!

Damn it! I missed my cue. Thanks for calling attention to this, cuervo, even if I didn't hold up my end of the bargain.

Big thanks also to Subby for filling in.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:34 PM   #23
Ksyrup

I get no freezing though. Just a crap load of pages open at once, if I don't close them while I surf from page to page.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:37 PM   #24
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake
Damn it! I missed my cue. Thanks for calling attention to this, cuervo, even if I didn't hold up my end of the bargain.

Big thanks also to Subby for filling in.

Any time

(happy convert)
Old 10-01-2003, 11:11 PM   #25
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by FrogMan
that may be the same thing Ksyrup had happen after he had unchecked the option mentionned above...

FM

Nope, the window just opens a new window, and the window freezes. If I copy a shortcut, it will work, but it just won't open the page on its own. I would think it is a popup blocker, but I don't have one.