Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2003, 09:49 PM   #1
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

offsides versus encroachment

I have been wanting to ask this for a couple of weeks now, and the movement unnatural to the game penalty thread brought it to mind. During the Tampa Bay Philadelphia game earlier this year the commentator kept bringing up the astounding number of penalties. They put up a graphic listing them by category. Both encroachment and Off Sides were listed, but seperately.

I was wondering the distinction. I took a shot, and answered that Off Sides was lining up offsides, while encroachment was coming across the line and making contact. I mean I had to answer. It was either that or admit I didn't know.

Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
sooner333
College Starter

Yeah, you're right about the difference, but I would usually think that they count them as the same. Its basically the same penalty, and some refs don't even say encroachment.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:10 PM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Re: offsides versus encroachment

Quote:
Originally posted by Glengoyne
I have been wanting to ask this for a couple of weeks now, and the movement unnatural to the game penalty thread brought it to mind. During the Tampa Bay Philadelphia game earlier this year the commentator kept bringing up the astounding number of penalties. They put up a graphic listing them by category. Both encroachment and Off Sides were listed, but seperately.

I was wondering the distinction. I took a shot, and answered that Off Sides was lining up offsides, while encroachment was coming across the line and making contact. I mean I had to answer. It was either that or admit I didn't know.

Exactly. You'll also hear "encroachment - unabaited (sp?) to the quarterback" to signify that if the play were to be allowed to continue like a normal offsides play, the QB would be on the verge of death.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 11:14 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

From the NFL rulebook:

"A player is Encroaching (7-2-2) on the neutral zone when any part of his body is in it and contact occurs prior to the snap.

"A player is Offsides when any part of his body or his person is beyond his scrimmage line...when the ball is put into play."

So your answer isn't entirely correct. If contact is made and the whistle is blown prior to snap, it's encroaching. If no contact is made, the snap is allowed to continue (unless unabaited to the QB). Which the commentors oftan refer to as "a free play". (So offsides is not just merely lining up past the line of scrimmage, but it is part of it)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 12:04 PM   #5
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Very succinct Sabotai.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

Suc-what?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 02:38 PM   #7
KevinNU7
College Starter

how do people not know this! Come on this is a football message board!