Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2003, 09:37 AM   #1
Jon
High School Varsity

OT: second hand smoke in apartment a/c

I live in a four unit brownstone with central heat and air. My girlfriend and I are not smokers and are allergic to the smoke. But we have a guy that lives above us that smokes. He doesn't ventilate so it comes through the A/C unit into our apartment. He also keeps his door open and the smoke gets into the hallway, stinking up the entire building.
Does anyone know of anyway to keep the smoke smell from coming into our apartment w/o our having to stop using the a/c?

Last edited by Jon : 09-27-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:43 AM   #2
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Well besides the obvious of beating him and cutting his lips and hands off, I suppose you could ask him. Otherwise maybe just try to throw some extra filters in it.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:45 AM   #3
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
Well besides the obvious of beating him and cutting his lips and hands off

Hey, you stole my idea
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:49 AM   #4
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

There are some high-priced filters out there that do make a big difference in air quality. You could also purchase an air-purifier.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:01 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'd ask him to stop smoking in the hall. Tho, he may get belligerant about that. I'm pretty sure he's not allowed to smoke in the hall, tho. Might want to check with your apartment manager on that.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:09 PM   #6
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Well, being a "former smoker" (it has been a week and 2 days) I can say that this guy is being an ASS. I never smoked inside, unless i was at the home of a smoker, and only then if it was the type of situation where i was isolated. I didn't even smoke outside at home if the weather allowed to have the windows open for fear it would drift inside a neighbor's home.

If you know the guy at all the least you can do is approach him nicely and explain your situation. It could be that he just never thought about what he was doing. However, if you get any sort of weird vibe about the man, don't bother as you could wind up in his freezer, chopped into little bits.

Not that this is right, but any sort of snide comments or loud coughing to give hints to a smoker only piss them off. Doesn't seem like this was in your plan, but I have found that approach never works. Smokers are discriminated against enough (at least in their minds) that when they are in a situation where they are allowed to smoke, they don't want to hear any gruff about it.

Good luck, and I feel bad for you. That sucks.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 09-27-2003 at 01:09 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:15 PM   #7
bbor
Pro Starter

People still smoke?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote