Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

[NationStates] The Rogue Nation of SterlingIce

Introduction

I figured I would take a stab at nation states for a little bit. At least as long as it holds my interest. It seems in the FAQ that it has a built in playing time of about a month since there are only 30 issues. But, what the heck, I'll start up a mini dynasty until I'm bored. I don't really want to spend too much time since time dump is hattrick's job, but I'll update it a little bit whenever something interesting comes along.

The Republic of SterlingIce (At A Glance)

Motto: "It's my first real stab at cliched villainy."
The quote is from Xanatos, villain (mostly) of the cartoon Gargoyles from the mid 90s. The entire quote was actually ""It's my first real stab at cliched villainy. How am I doing?"
UN Category: Corrupt Dictatorship
Flag:
They'll never suspect anything evil from someone with a flag like this
Civil Rights: Some
Economy: Fair
Political Freedoms: Few
Description: The Republic of SterlingIce is a tiny, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its compulsory military service. Its hard-nosed, cynical population of 5 million are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.
The enormous government devotes most of its attentions to Law & Order, with areas such as Social Welfare and Religion & Spirituality receiving almost no funds by comparison. The average income tax rate is 35%, but much higher for the wealthy. A small but healthy private sector is led by the Information Technology, Arms Manufacturing, and Trout Farming industries.
Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. SterlingIce's national animal is the hippopotamus, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the hippopotamus.

Comments: I got just what I wanted- a nice little dictatorship where everyone knows who to fear. I love the line about civil rights and my all-pervasive police force. Also, due to the lack of portability of the currency (the hippopotamus), our economy may suffer. Lastly, I have quite the mix of industries with technology, guns, and trout farming

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-27-2003 at 05:13 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 03:34 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"Location, Location, Location"

We're Moving!

Action: Move to an existing region:
Success! SterlingIce is now located in FOFC.

Comments: Through the miracle of giant winches and pullies along with lots and lots of balloons, the Rogue Nation of SterlingIce will be picking up and moving from the Pacific to FOFC.

Thanks, but no Thanks

Comments: No sooner than I had set down in my new location than some other location wanted to recruit me. After mulling it over some more, I think I will politely decline.

Initial Message:

Quote:
To: The Rogue Nation of SterlingIce
Good day to you –

My name is Agent Martin Simms and I am the ambassador to the region of The Syndicate. We are on the lookout for progressive nations who are interested in a little action of a military nature. You see, The Syndicate is a black ops division. Our sole purpose in the Nation States world is to liberate regions from hostile oppressors. Would you like to know more?

If so, shoot me out a telegram of interest and I will get back to you. If you are happy where you are and don’t feel like moving, I wish you the best in the years to come as your nation grows and prospers.

With utmost respect,

Martin Simms, Ambassador
The Syndicate

Our Response:

Quote:
To: The Colony of Mendanau
I will mull over your form message that you send every new nation. My country is intrigued with your policy of "liberate regions from hostile oppressors" for many view us as hostile oppressors and we would like to change that image. We feel this is an unfair label and many who have called me "a hostile opprssor" would agree with you if they still had tongues. Again, I will consider your offer.

Cheerful Regards,
SterlingIce

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-27-2003 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:38 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Our First Issue

Should Democracy be Compulsory?

The Issue
In response to a slow news week, certain highbrow newspapers have stirred up the debate over voluntary vs compulsory voting.

The Debate
1. "Compulsory voting makes about as much as sense as having the death penalty for attempted suicide," says civil rights activist Hack Jefferson. "You can't force people to be free! You can only give them the choice. Besides, if all those derelicts who can't be bothered to get off their ass once every few years voted, who would they elect? I shudder to think."

2. "It's not contradictory at all," argues political commentator Buy Utopia. "The fact is, if not everyone votes, the outcome isn't truly representative. Some groups--like elderly gun nuts--vote more often than others. That's why always we always end up with such terrible politicians."

3. "This raises an interesting issue," says Jazz Barry, your brother. "And that is: why do we need elections, anyway? Seems to me it would be much simpler if you just decided what was right, and did it. Wouldn't that save everyone a lot of time?"

The Government Position
The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.

Comments
While I love my brother and his groveling ways, I much prefer the image of my secret police dragging people out of their homes to vote. Not only that, but after they are forced at gunpoint to vote, then I will remind them how futile their lives are as the government policies enacted are completely the opposite of what they voted for. I love my job.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-27-2003 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:51 PM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Hippos DO NOT frolic, SI. They trample. I'll be reading despite your inaccuracies.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:09 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

Nice, SI. Once you become endorseable, I'll endorse you.

The FAQ says 30 issues, yes, but then in the news section he says he's slowly adding new issues from fans' input, and he has nearly 2,000 issues to sort through.

That's a good thing.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:35 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Hippos DO NOT frolic, SI. They trample. I'll be reading despite your inaccuracies.

I have no control over that, it's computer generated. Hippos frolicking sounds very much like Fantasia.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-26-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:55 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"It's a Nice Place to Visit, But I Wouldn't Want to Live There"

How to Visit The Rogue Nation of Sterling Ice

Text on my Main Page: Want to show a friend your nation? Send them this link:
http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/...on=sterlingice

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-27-2003 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:03 AM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
Nice, SI. Once you become endorseable, I'll endorse you.

The FAQ says 30 issues, yes, but then in the news section he says he's slowly adding new issues from fans' input, and he has nearly 2,000 issues to sort through.

That's a good thing.

That is a good thing.

I believe only RendeR is endorseable right now, being our Region Rep in the UN. But I could be wrong.

And those hippos do indeed appear to be frolicing (though it looks like they are in grassland and not jungle).
Old 09-27-2003, 12:17 AM   #9
RendeR
Coordinator

Actually, any UN member is endorsable if you too are in the UN.

I am only the Delegate because right now I have the most endorsements.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 12:44 AM   #10
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Attention Sterlingice.

You are hereby requested to approve the Global Protection Initiative, proposed into the United Nations by your dear friends to the west, the Holy Empire of Coffee Warlord.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 02:40 AM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

See- here's the problem. I'm not entirely sure I want to be in the UN. Sure it adds to the somewhat limited options of the game, but there's a lot of fluffy bunnies in there which I'm just not sure I can cozy up with. I mean, really, education for all? No slavery? No privacy intrusion? Fair trials? No discrimination at all? NO CHILD LABOR?!? THE METRIC SYSTEM?!? I have applied to join the UN to see what options it would open up for me, but it's just not in my country's best interests, or at least not in mine.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-27-2003 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:07 AM   #12
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

I'm going to stay in it until it becomes a nuisance or passes something that isn't in my best interests.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 03:54 PM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Nyarlahotep
I'm going to stay in it until it becomes a nuisance or passes something that isn't in my best interests.

Ditto...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 05:11 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"So long as it suits my purposes"

United Nations

UN Application Successful
Congratulations! The Rogue Nation of SterlingIce has been accepted into the hallowed halls of the United Nations.

Recent Events:
* Seconds ago: The Rogue Nation of SterlingIce was admitted to the UN.

Comments: Well, I was divided on this decision. We'll see if I actually stay in the UN for very long. At least for now, I'll keep my friends close and my enemies closer. They will come to rue this day!

On an not entirely unrelated note, I have now decreed that everyone must be taught English units in schools (do we even have schools). Let's see the UN come down on this! I thumb my nose at you and your metric system ways!

For now, we will hide behind this little banner whenever someone stirs up trouble. Maybe we will even join up with someone whenever they need a "coalition of the willing" so we can get some much needed aid. Now where's that evil grin smiley...

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-27-2003 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:36 PM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Issue Number Two

Daily Update
(NOTE:I think I'll update with the new issue every day)

Last Issue: Should Democracy be Compulsory?
Our Position: Yes!
Why, In a Nutshell: Because it's fun to make my subjects do things that amuse me. I forsee this being a common justification.
Results: "Voting is compulsory." added to our description

Political Freedoms: Few
Tax Rate: 36%
Population: 6 million
Daily Stat: SterlingIce is ranked 22nd in the region and 37,900th in the world for Largest Public Sector.

Traffic Cops Needed on Information Superhighway?

The Issue
Certain shadowy ministerial figures have proposed government monitoring of individual internet usage.

The Debate
1. "In these days of terror and uncertainty, it's exactly what we need," says Buy Spirit, signing an arrest warrant. "Every pervert, terrorist, bomb-building maniac and anti-government idiot is currently online. I'm not saying that we should block citizens from seeing it, but let's also watch who's seeking it out. This will give our law enforcement officers the chance to prevent crimes before they happen. If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to hide."

2. "Well, I AM saying we should block out that filth," says a man in a dark hat, stepping from the shadows. "If people want to use the internet, they can view our government-approved sites. Those are swell."

3. Privacy activist Jack Hanover is outraged, as usual. "Tyranny is the natural result of limiting information! Someone, somewhere, will always find something offensive -- mimes for example. Those scare the hell out of me. But should we ban them? No! Free the internet! We have nothing to fear from free information but pop-up advertising!"

The Government Position
The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.

Comments
I was torn on this issue. Without money, I will never get anywhere in my plans of world conquest and information technology is one of our main industries. However, my peons can't possibly think I'm going to allow them free access to information so I went with the one that most strengthens my secret police. I'll need to keep an eye on the man in the dark hat who stepped out of the shadows. I don't recognize him from my very small circle of people I can "trust" or from my much longer enemies list.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-27-2003 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:46 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"Hey! Look! It's Poland!"

Our First "Allies"

The Rogue Nation of SterlingIce
Endorsements Received: 1 (Shorty3281)

The Community of Shorty3281
Endorsements Received: 14 (Vexroid, JeeberD, Trogdorany, HFPland, Klayman, Qwikshot, PsychoCopia, Lcjjdnh, Rendland, Swaggs, Hattrickism, HopiSheep, Nyarlahoteporia, SterlingIce)

Comments: I have allied up with the pot smoking environmental hippies and peacenicks of some nation. I have no idea why they wanted to ally up with me, but I'll be stabbing them in the back as soon as I am powerful enough to. This country might as well have a giant sign saying "Free Land! Come and Get It!". Guns with flowers in them still shoot bullets.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-27-2003 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:22 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"It's a Nice Place to Visit, But I Wouldn't Want to Live There", Part 2

Dynasty Report on Nation States Board

["Dynasty Report"] The Rogue Nation of SterlingIce

Comments: My country could use some free pub especially with one of the ideas I have planned (it involves my trout industry). Plus I put in a shameless plug for FOFC and it only takes a couple seconds to update (the only difference in the code is the size tags). There's no downside to this. Well, unless I put it in the wrong forum and then they delete it or something. So go over there and mix it up in character already!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-27-2003 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:30 PM   #18
korme
Go Reds

Re: "Hey! Look! It's Poland!"

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Our First "Allies"

Endorsements Received: 1 (Shorty3281)

The Community of Shorty3281
Endorsements Received: 14 (Vexroid, JeeberD, Trogdorany, HFPland, Klayman, Qwikshot, PsychoCopia, Lcjjdnh, Rendland, Swaggs, Hattrickism, HopiSheep, Nyarlahoteporia, SterlingIce)

Comments: I have allied up with the pot smoking environmental hippies and peacenicks of some nation. I have no idea why they wanted to ally up with me, but I'll be stabbing them in the back as soon as I am powerful enough to. This country might as well have a giant sign saying "Free Land! Come and Get It!". Guns with flowers in them still shoot bullets.

SI

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 09:38 AM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Third Issue

Daily Update

Last Issue: Traffic Cops Needed on Information Superhighway?
Why, In a Nutshell: My secret police like what they do
Results: "The government snoops on private internet connections" added to our description

Political Freedoms: Rare (Few)
Population: 7 million (6)
Daily Stat: SterlingIce is ranked 75th in the region and 58,573rd in the world for Most Politically Free Nations.
Like in hattrick, I am still striving for what CW has, only instead of a great run and shoot soccer offense, I'm trying to get a more oppressive regime, which could also be called the "run and shoot": Political Freedoms: Unheard Of

Child Casino Shock

The Issue
Children as young as eight have been spotted gambling in some of SterlingIce's seedier casinos.

The Debate
1. Social activist Miranda Love is outraged. "Gambling needs to be outlawed immediately. It's no wonder children are becoming sucked into the vice, with adults setting such a poor example. Gambling is a stain on SterlingIce's international reputation and it must be stopped!"

2. However, Crown Casino chairperson Thomas Spirit says, "What's wrong with children gambling? It prepares them for the realities of life, teaching them that success or failure is not due to hard work or intelligence, but the roll of the dice. Besides, if kids weren't gambling, they'd be spraypainting trains."

The Government Position
The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.

Comments
They're helping the economy, what's wrong with that. If they're all compulsive gamblers by 15, they won't come after me. The vote passes my office with a resounding 100%-0% victory.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-28-2003 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:03 AM   #20
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

I went the same way on that issue the other day. I figure it helps make us more of a vacation hot spot since parents don't have to worry about kids not being allowed in the casinos.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:25 PM   #21
Desnudo
Coordinator

Re: Third Issue

Quote:
Daily Update

Last Issue: Traffic Cops Needed on Information Superhighway?
Why, In a Nutshell: My secret police like what they do
Results: "The government snoops on private internet connections" added to our description

Political Freedoms: Rare (Few)
Population: 7 million (6)
Daily Stat: SterlingIce is ranked 75th in the region and 58,573rd in the world for Most Politically Free Nations.
Like in hattrick, I am still striving for what CW has, only instead of a great run and shoot soccer offense, I'm trying to get a more oppressive regime, which could also be called the "run and shoot": Political Freedoms: Unheard Of

Child Casino Shock

The Issue
Children as young as eight have been spotted gambling in some of SterlingIce's seedier casinos.

The Debate
1. Social activist Miranda Love is outraged. "Gambling needs to be outlawed immediately. It's no wonder children are becoming sucked into the vice, with adults setting such a poor example. Gambling is a stain on SterlingIce's international reputation and it must be stopped!"

2. However, Crown Casino chairperson Thomas Spirit says, "What's wrong with children gambling? It prepares them for the realities of life, teaching them that success or failure is not due to hard work or intelligence, but the roll of the dice. Besides, if kids weren't gambling, they'd be spraypainting trains."

The Government Position

Comments
They're helping the economy, what's wrong with that. If they're all compulsive gamblers by 15, they won't come after me. The vote passes my office with a resounding 100%-0% victory.

SI

My 8 year olds currently smoking in the streets. I need to provide them with a safe place to do it.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 01:07 AM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Brothers In Arms

An Axis, Perhaps?

Endorsements Received: 3 (Shorty3281, Nyarlahoteporia, Vexroid)

The Rogue Nation of Nyarlahoteporia
Endorsements Received: 17 (Trogdorany, HFPland, Vexroid, JeeberD, Shorty3281, Qwikshot, Klayman, Lcjjdnh, Hattrickism, Lumenia, HopiSheep, High Test Gasoline, EagleFan, Sublime-Nation, Ravnoria, PsychoCopia, SterlingIce)

The Empire of Vexroid
Endorsements Received: 21 (HopiSheep, Trogdorany, HFPland, JeeberD, Nyarlahoteporia, Gagneck, Qwikshot, Digamma, Shorty3281, Klayman, PsychoCopia, Lcjjdnh, Rendland, Hattrickism, Back Stabbers, High Test Gasoline, Ravnoria, Sabotland, Davidlandidia, Sublime-Nation, SterlingIce)

Comments: Aah. These are much more like brothers in arms than our previous "ally". Nyarlahoteporia is a nice Father Knows Best State and Rogue Nation. He gives his people too many civil rights but more than makes up for it with few political freedoms. Vexroid is trying to build an empire and far be it for me to stand in his way as long as he doesn't take my land. He gives lots of political freedoms but few civil rights. What the heck is an Authoritarian Democracy?!? That seems like a contradiction.

SI

Old 09-29-2003, 09:48 AM   #23
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Brothers In Arms

Quote:
An Axis, Perhaps?

Endorsements Received: 3 (Shorty3281, Nyarlahoteporia, Vexroid)

The Rogue Nation of Nyarlahoteporia
Endorsements Received: 17 (Trogdorany, HFPland, Vexroid, JeeberD, Shorty3281, Qwikshot, Klayman, Lcjjdnh, Hattrickism, Lumenia, HopiSheep, High Test Gasoline, EagleFan, Sublime-Nation, Ravnoria, PsychoCopia, SterlingIce)

The Empire of Vexroid
Endorsements Received: 21 (HopiSheep, Trogdorany, HFPland, JeeberD, Nyarlahoteporia, Gagneck, Qwikshot, Digamma, Shorty3281, Klayman, PsychoCopia, Lcjjdnh, Rendland, Hattrickism, Back Stabbers, High Test Gasoline, Ravnoria, Sabotland, Davidlandidia, Sublime-Nation, SterlingIce)

Comments: Aah. These are much more like brothers in arms than our previous "ally". Nyarlahoteporia is a nice Father Knows Best State and Rogue Nation. He gives his people too many civil rights but more than makes up for it with few political freedoms. Vexroid is trying to build an empire and far be it for me to stand in his way as long as he doesn't take my land. He gives lots of political freedoms but few civil rights. What the heck is an Authoritarian Democracy?!? That seems like a contradiction.

SI

I won't take your land, I'm just after world domination, which only my allies will share in. Now as for the Authoritarian Democracy, I have no clue.

Last edited by vex : 09-29-2003 at 09:48 AM.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 10:50 AM   #24
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

The Empire of Vexroid's status was just changed to......

"Moralistic Democracy"
Old 09-29-2003, 10:58 AM   #25
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

HA!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:07 PM   #26
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by vexroid
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

The Empire of Vexroid's status was just changed to......

"Moralistic Democracy"

You are starting to fall out of my favor. Get back to work oppressing your citizens!

SI

Old 09-29-2003, 12:11 PM   #27
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I shall oppress to the best of my ability.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:19 PM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Issue Four

Daily Update

Last Issue: Child Casino Shock
Our Position: Sure
Why, In a Nutshell: What do I care if kids gamble
Results: "young children are regularly seen wagering pocket money at blackjack tables" added to our description

UN Category: Father Knows Best State (Corrupt Dictatorship)
Economy: Good (Fair)
Political Freedoms: Rare
Tax Rate: 33% (36)
Population: 8 million (7)
Daily Stat: SterlingIce is ranked 25th in the region and 25,619th in the world for Largest Soda Pop Sector.

People Request Not So Much Dictatorship, If That's All Right

The Issue
While effusively praising SterlingIce's leadership and bowing repeatedly, a delegation has humbly requested that the government take a more "modernistic" view in the future.

The Debate
1. The High Minister for Finance, who also happens to be your brother, dismisses the claim. "What these people fail to realize is that you know what's best for them. The alternative is anarchy! I say stick to your course. And execute these wackos for treason."

2. "Perhaps the people could be given some more political freedoms," muses your Chief of Staff, who is your sister. "Is there really such harm in allowing public discussion of ideas? We could even have a real Opposition Party. One that isn't just full of your puppets, I mean."

The Government Position
The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.

Comments
First, we shed our Corrupt Dictatorship title. I'm not sure whether that was a good or bad thing as Father Knows Best State sounds more pleasant but really isn't. As for the issue of the day, I am seriously considering putting my sister to death. How dare she legitimately question my right to rule. I mean, I understand her job is to offer up token issues and then we laugh heartily in the cabinet over some big dinner paid for by the taxes on our $1 a week sweatshops. But she was serious this time. She might be plotting a resistance as we speak. I need to keep an eye on her now. At least my dear brother is still the groveling fool he's always been.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-29-2003 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:38 PM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

I'm listed as an "Iron-fisted consumerist"

Sweeeet...
http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi/target=display_nation/nation=trogdorany
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 12:49 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
I'm listed as an "Iron-fisted consumerist"

Sweeeet...
http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/...ion=trogdorany

I'd love to have that status and will be striving for it- good oppressive regime with a strong economy: it's close to perfect. However, I don't think I'll ever get it because I want some environment left since I live in my land (I've been banned in most others). On top of that, I really *don't* care enough to crush all of my people's civil rights. Not only that, but I'll sacrifice some civil rights to my people instead of my environment to keep a robust economy.

SI

Old 09-29-2003, 12:49 PM   #31
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

A New Friend and a New Land Farm

One Ally and One Enemy

Endorsements Received: 5 (Shorty3281, Nyarlahoteporia, Vexroid, Klayman, PsychoCopia)

The Holy Empire of Klayman
Endorsements Received: 15 (HopiSheep, Vexroid, Trogdorany, JeeberD, HFPland, Back Stabbers, Shorty3281, Qwikshot, Ravnoria, Hattrickism, Lcjjdnh, Nyarlahoteporia, High Test Gasoline, Sublime-Nation, SterlingIce)

The Armed Republic of PsychoCopia
Endorsements Received: 9 (HFPland, Vexroid, Trogdorany, JeeberD, Shorty3281, Qwikshot, Klayman, Nyarlahoteporia, SterlingIce)

Comments: Klayman is my kind of dictator: "The Holy Empire", the Evil Canadian Flag (have you considered having the Canadian flag only make the white part black?), and Iron Fist Socialists. Sure, he likes to let his citizens run free with those excessive civil rights but maybe he's onto something here because it allows his people to be distracted as he crushes their political freedoms. I like a tighter rein on my people but it works for him.

As for PsychoCopia... they're a bunch of gun toting crazies with an all-pervasive police force and we love them for it. However, they are everything else we look for in a soon-to-be-conquered people. They are a socialist paradise with average civil right and excellent political freedoms! Hell, they have uranium mining (useful) and their other two industries are the really annoying pizza delivery and door-to-door insurance sales industries. Or do they just claim those last two when it's really an extension of their porno industry (*cue 70s porno music* nerdy looking guy goes to door where a hot blonde in a pizza uniform is waiting...)? If that's the case, then we gain the utmost respect for them and will immediately set up an embassy where I send political enemies to placate them with ambassadorships

SI

Old 09-29-2003, 01:08 PM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

By the way guys, I've been moving these comments over to the board on the Nation States board, too. So if you just want them over here only or want me to delete the ones already there, just message me.

Also, I have added this to my profile so it's an easy link from any number of my inane posts on other parts of the board.

Lastly, there's a link to the Nation States board in my profile, too. Go. Now. Frolic like Hippos in my thread.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-29-2003 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:14 PM   #33
Franklinnoble
Banned

I think the guys over at the NationStates boards see us as bizarre outsiders. As long as they learn to fear what they do not understand, that's fine with me.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:14 PM   #34
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Re: A New Friend and a New Land Farm

Quote:
One Ally and One Enemy
(*cue 70s porno music* nerdy looking guy goes to door where a hot blonde in a pizza uniform is waiting...)?

SI

But I don't have enough money to pay for the pizza.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:43 PM   #35
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think the guys over at the NationStates boards see us as bizarre outsiders. As long as they learn to fear what they do not understand, that's fine with me.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment all the way around. Then again, we are a pretty bizarre bunch

That said, if our proliferation in other online games like hattrick is any indication, we will be a block to be reckoned with.

SI

Old 09-29-2003, 03:44 PM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Re: Re: A New Friend and a New Land Farm

Quote:
Originally posted by Nyarlahotep
But I don't have enough money to pay for the pizza.

"Well, then we'll have to find some other way to pay the bill" *blonde pulls the door shut* (fade to black)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-29-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:56 PM   #37
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I guess since it's my own dynasty report, this can't really be considered dola'ing but I do kindof feel bad about the short choppy posts. But to add to the other post about finding our spot in the community there, I have a pretty good idea.

Anyone read how stores work? You basically find how much cash you have based on population, taxes, and per capita (there are some methods of doing it, if you search the boards). Then you just say "I buy X" in one of the store threads on the roleplaying boards.

Now, most of the stores are something like "Pay $100 million and get a stealth fighter"and other such military gear for war. There quite a few rules about godmodding (i.e. saying "someone invades me but all my men are invincible", etc) and most of them center around the fact that if you aren't a large country, don't go off and start a war unless it's against other small countries.

Rather than doing that, I want to create a roleplaying store. I have a nice trout industry. I want to create a fish (and more) store. Basically, what you would do is say you you buy some stuff and it acts as a virtual restaurant/store where you can just go and spout off some nonsense about whatever. I would have (mostly) low price items such as fish for $5 that are basically a negligible hit on your income so you can "spend" cash there and not worry about it at all.

Any interest? Basically, it could become the large, unweildy thread over there that's the place for FOFC'ers to post and be visible for roleplaying purposes and give us some standing over on the Nation States boards. They would know that this is a large, somewhat organized community and we would gain political standing in a roleplaying sense and that is the only power commodity there anyways- it's not as if there are stats for troops or anything: politics are everything. However, it would be not unlike a thread killer (tho, a bit more on topic perhaps in the way that talking about the run-and-shoot and crawfish is on topic for the hattrick board here) in that you can just go there and talk about whatever you feel like at any given time.

SI

Old 09-29-2003, 03:59 PM   #38
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Souds like a cool idea.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:45 PM   #39
Franklinnoble
Banned

I would like to buy a rubber trout. They're easier on the rectum than the live variety, especially after they've been there for a few weeks.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:46 PM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

With two tests this week, it won't get rolled out until the weekend but I'll certainly publicize it here when I have things up and running.

SI

Old 09-29-2003, 05:48 PM   #41
Franklinnoble
Banned

Alright... I suppose I'll have to make do with my plastic lobster in the time being.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:44 AM   #42
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Now introducing, the NEW, UN Delegate, The Empire of Vexroid!

Ok, now that we're one step closer to world domination, how should we approach this?

Also, I just realized that the UN Delegate can ban countries from a region
Old 09-30-2003, 11:43 AM   #43
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Ok, now that we're one step closer to world domination, how should we approach this?

Don't let it go to your head, pal. You're only the delegate as long as you have the most endorsements from countries in the region.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:13 PM   #44
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Don't let it go to your head, pal. You're only the delegate as long as you have the most endorsements from countries in the region.

Very true.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:52 PM   #45
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Excellllent *steeples fingers*

No need to ban anyone. In fact, invite anyone you can. The more nations that FOFC has, the more powerful the delegate is because they have more votes. At least, I think I read that in the rules.

SI

Old 09-30-2003, 05:16 PM   #46
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Issue Number Five

Daily Update

Last Issue: People Request Not So Much Dictatorship, If That's All Right
Our Position: Fat Chance
Why, In a Nutshell: Do you even have to ask?
Results: "political activists are routinely executed" added to our description

UN Category: Iron Fist Consumerists (Father Knows Best State)
Economy: Good
Political Freedoms: Outlawed (Rare)
Tax Rate: 33%
Population: 9 million (8)
Daily Stat: SterlingIce is ranked 63rd in the region and 41,465th in the world for Largest Retail Sector.

International Community Comes Doorknocking

The Issue
The international community has appealed to SterlingIce to increase humanitarian aid to the world's poorer nations.

The Debate
1. "We must increase foreign aid," says beaded local peace activist Hack Winters. "Compared to some of these nations, SterlingIce is swimming in hippopotamuss. Let's face it, not every nation in the world is lucky enough to have a government like ours. Let's show some compassion to our less economically gifted neighbors."

2. "Talk about a way to flush hippopotamuss straight down the toilet," argues Think Tank member Chastity Falopian. "What I've noticed is that whenever we do give something, it's never enough: a few years later they're back asking for more. The best way to help these poor nations is to stop shielding them from the logical consequences of their idiotic, long-debunked socialist economic policies."

3. "Relief wouldn't hurt us... if we 'relieved' the right countries," suggests government advisor Buy Utopia. "We give them a little humanitarian aid, they give us access to their Gambling markets... it's win-win. Nothing wrong with a little quid pro quo, especially for a good cause."

The Government Position
The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 3.

Comments
Our second government status title change in as many days, we are now Iron Fist Consumerists. Plus political freedoms are now outlawed. Huzzah! As for the issue at hand, I think we'll go with the man whose name sounds like what we are going to do: Buy Utopia. Sure, we'll give aid under the guise of actually caring for people (that whole PR problem) in exchange for glorious industry. Then, once our businesses are established, we'll cut the funding short and still have a foothold in their country.

SI

Old 09-30-2003, 05:30 PM   #47
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Milhouse: "So this is what it feels like...when doves cry."

Let's All Sit Around the Campfire and Sing Songs About Money!

Endorsements Received: 9 (Shorty3281, Nyarlahoteporia, Vexroid, Klayman, PsychoCopia, JeeberD, Trogdorany, Qwikshot, Digamma)

The Rogue Nation of Trogdorany
Endorsements Received: 23 (Qwikshot, Nyarlahoteporia, HFPland, Vexroid, Digamma, JeeberD, Gagneck, Shorty3281, Klayman, PsychoCopia, Lcjjdnh, HopiSheep, Hattrickism, Sublime-Nation, High Test Gasoline, Sabotland, Roncomatic, Bearcat, Lumenia, Marmelicious, Swaggs, Tcutia, SterlingIce)

Comments: It's not technically our newest endorsement, but those other three land farms that endorsed will get written up tomorrow (lousy peaceniks). Trogdorany, like ourselves currently, are Iron Fist Consumerists. The country has an oppressive government and "measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as 'human resources'." That kind of poetry brings a tear to my eye. Both civil rights and political freedoms are rare.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-30-2003 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:14 AM   #48
Franklinnoble
Banned

Re: Milhouse: "So this is what it feels like...when doves cry."

Quote:
Let's All Sit Around the Campfire and Sing Songs About Money!

Endorsements Received: 9 (Shorty3281, Nyarlahoteporia, Vexroid, Klayman, PsychoCopia, JeeberD, Trogdorany, Qwikshot, Digamma)

The Rogue Nation of Trogdorany
Endorsements Received: 23 (Qwikshot, Nyarlahoteporia, HFPland, Vexroid, Digamma, JeeberD, Gagneck, Shorty3281, Klayman, PsychoCopia, Lcjjdnh, HopiSheep, Hattrickism, Sublime-Nation, High Test Gasoline, Sabotland, Roncomatic, Bearcat, Lumenia, Marmelicious, Swaggs, Tcutia, SterlingIce)

Comments: It's not technically our newest endorsement, but those other three land farms that endorsed will get written up tomorrow (lousy peaceniks). Trogdorany, like ourselves currently, are Iron Fist Consumerists. The country has an oppressive government and "measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as 'human resources'." That kind of poetry brings a tear to my eye. Both civil rights and political freedoms are rare.

SI

Such an honor - I shall sacrifice 100 spotted owls in your name.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:48 PM   #49
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Re: A New Friend and a New Land Farm

Quote:

[
Comments: Klayman is my kind of dictator: "The Holy Empire", the Evil Canadian Flag (have you considered having the Canadian flag only make the white part black?), and Iron Fist Socialists. Sure, he likes to let his citizens run free with those excessive civil rights but maybe he's onto something here because it allows his people to be distracted as he crushes their political freedoms. I like a tighter rein on my people but it works for him.

High Praise indeed. We allow our people their excessive civil rights for the sole purpose of using the threat of taking them away to keep them in line. We've taken their money, political freedom, and good looking women. They really have nothing left.

The Holy Empire looks forward to continuing relations with the Rogue Nation, with secret Beef for Arms deals, asylum (followed by swift and quiet execution) of political adversaries, and friendly football matches. Of course, our hockey team will always be better. I like your suggestion for a new flag, and shall place it before the council for a vote. Oh look, it passed 1-0.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:53 PM   #50
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Issue Six

Daily Update

Last Issue: International Community Comes Doorknocking
Our Position: Sure, we'll give aid if you let us if you let us access your markets
Why, In a Nutshell: Good PR and some cash in the coffers of our businesses here
Results: "the government extracts trade concessions from poor nations in exchange for humanitarian aid" added to our description

UN Category: Iron Fist Consumerists
Economy: Good
Political Freedoms: Outlawed
Tax Rate: 33%
Population: 10 million (9)
Daily Stat: SterlingIce is ranked 61st in the region and 45,988th in the world for Largest Manufacturing Sector.
Other Changes I Didn't Notice Originally:
In first section: "measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as 'human resources'."
In second section: "A substantial private sector is dominated by the Gambling industry."
I'm kindof disappointed: I lost my trout farming industry. Well, it's still there, it's just not the primary one. Then again, that may not be true if the Utopia family is screwing with me (see below)

Corporations Demand Political Say

The Issue
A well-heeled lobby group is pushing for the elimination of regulations that prevent corporations from donating money to political parties.

The Debate
1. "This is supposed to be a democratic country," Gambling industry spokesperson Al Utopia says. "Yet these archaic laws say I can't donate money to support a political party. They put ceilings on the amount any party can spend on advertising. It's time to stop treating voters like children, and trust them to make up their own minds. Free the ballot box!"

2. "You say political freedom, I hear vote-buying," says popular anarchist Calvin McAlpin. "If these fat cats get their way, politicians will buy their own seat in Congress. And let's face it, a slick advertising campaign can convince a lot of apathetic voters. We need to tighten the laws, not repeal them. Money should have no place in politics!"

3. "Frankly, I don't see why we need to have elections at all," says your brother, Buffy Utopia, over a late-night malt whiskey. "You always seem to know what's best. Why not scrap the whole political system? It would make things so much simpler."

The Government Position

Comments
Is there something my "brother", Buffy Utopia, isn't telling me? Then again, I was pretty sure this buxom broad was not my "brother". Not only that but Al Utopia was today's gambling spokesperson and yesterday's government advisor was Buy Utopia and he was advising in favor of the gambling industry. Apparently the Utopia family is trying to consolidate their power in the gambling industry and are going to run a coup in my country.

However, this will take some planning to counter. Clearly they have infiltrated many levels of the government and private sector. Plus, I think my brother has now been kidnapped and as much as I hate him for being a weakling, he is still family. I need to find some way to weaken them from within. I am not a fool, I realize there are limits to my power, currently. For that reason, I will go for the solution not suggested by any Utopia and keep the laws that limit contributions to political canidates. I'm not sure how that helps or hurts us at all but it apparently hurts them.

Now, I have to set to the task of destroying the Utopias and purging them from my government and private sector. Not only that but I will be formulating a plan to recapture my brother. And if they have destroyed my beloved trout industry that I made my fortune in and still have a weakness for, so help me god! No one screws with the Ice family and gets away with it, ESPECIALLY NOT IN MY OWN HOME! *slams fist against desk*

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-01-2003 at 02:54 PM.