Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2003, 07:21 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

SimCity 4: revisited

Anyone have this one and still playing it?

I've been wanting a new game and logically, hockey was my next choice, but I'm really wanting to get the SimCity 4 pack which includes the newly released 'RushHour' expansion pack.

Is this game really immersing? Time to check out Walmart for a bit....

Todd

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:24 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

FWIW,

It recieved a 9.2 on IGN, but an 8.4 on Gamespot?

Todd
Old 09-24-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I've played it for a total of about an hour, and I was REALLY looking forward to it.

I'll try again someday...but it hasn't hooked me yet.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:41 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

Tried it. It seemed...empty. Like there were things that should have been in it but wasn't. Of course, we all know they did that so they could release an expansion for it. And here we have it. I wonder if it'll actually feel like a complete game now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:18 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

sab, I quit buyin' the SimCity games after the SimCity 3000 debacle.

Disasters and features that were present in SimCity 2000 were removed from the original version of SimCity 3000, and then later released in SimCity 3000 Unlimited.

That was when I knew the EA mentality had infected Maxis, and I haven't bought a SimCity product since.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:25 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

I didn't get SimCity 3000 until Unlimted came out. Features that were in Unlimited were not in SimCity 4.

I think I've seen the ned of my Maxis buying days. Shame too, had a ton of fun playing "the other" games (SimLife, SimEarth, SimTower, SimAnt). It's all SimCity and The Sims now. I doubt we'll get a cool, innovative game from them again.

Here's something from an EA site:

"Your City is on the Move!
Put your metropolis in motion by employing a vast range of all-new transportation options in the SimCity 4: Rush Hour Expansion Pack*. From one-way roads to passenger ferries, create the ultimate transportation infrastructure, mapping out a seamless regional network to whisk your citizens around your city and from one city to another. Take a hands-on approach by seizing control of vehicles, and complete all-new U-Drive-It missions to boost your Mayor rating and earn rewards. In SimCity 4: Rush Hour, it's time to get your Sims on the go! "

It sounded cool and almost worth buying until the "U-Drive-It" thing...

And then it hits you!!! Rush Hour is ONLY transportation stuff. Leaving plenty of room for several more expansions of rmany other areas....

So basically, I'll buy when the time comes 7 years from now when they package SimCity 4 with all of its expansion for just $30. Until then, I'm not buying any expansions.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:27 PM   #7
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I played the hell out of SC3000, but like most everybody else, SC4 is just lacking something. I don't really like the interconnected maps, and it's much more difficult to get a booming metropolis up and running. It seems like I lose interest around 12,000 people or so.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:29 PM   #8
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Just a thought . . . you might consider waiting for a patch or two. You might enjoy it more, in the end.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:35 PM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

sab - sounds like history repeating itself, doesn't it? Add stuff, remove it for the next version, add it back in, and charge another $50 for the privilege.

Lovely stuff.

This is why I'm done with Maxis.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:41 PM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

also, at least one of the major features of rush hour - (the one way streets - or parkways), were supposed to be in the original version. they were pulled right before the release date
Old 09-24-2003, 08:47 PM   #11
STK
H.S. Freshman Team

shameless plug.
STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:48 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow, not the kind of comments I was hoping for.

I think I'll do some more reasearch on this one. I wonder if there is a demo?

Todd
Old 09-24-2003, 08:50 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by STK
shameless plug.

Would you sell Sim City 4 by itself?

Todd
Old 09-24-2003, 08:52 PM   #14
STK
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah

Todd

yes... a week from today if that bundle doesn't sell.
STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 09:03 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by STK
yes... a week from today if that bundle doesn't sell.

Great, let me know.

Todd
Old 09-24-2003, 10:20 PM   #16
Craptacular
College Starter

I wonder if I can get it with the Rush Hour expansion and use it at work?? It's gotta be better than some of the old crappy transportation software out there.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:29 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I bid on one for $15 on ebay, if I can get it for $20 shipped, I'll give it a go.

I've also read enough on NHL 2004 on the pc, I think I'll pick that one up as well.

Todd
Old 09-25-2003, 12:00 AM   #18
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Just got Rush Hour. I had SC4 and played it a lot b4 CM4 came out. Then it was on to GalCiv and then to more EU2 and then Madden 2004. I was hoping the Rush Hour pack would get me hooked again. I installed it tonight and we'll see over the weekend.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 12:13 AM   #19
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Mizzourah: Hate to drift off topic here, but if you don't mind, what specific things about NHL 2004 do you like?

I'm a much bigger fan of 2k3 than 2003 - 2003 was just too flashy. But I now have a PC capable of running such software (before I was soley on X-Box) , so that aspect of 2004 is interesting - what about the PC would be better, and what about 2004 is improved in general?

Thanks!
~kyle
Old 09-25-2003, 12:24 AM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I agree with others, SC4 just lacked something to hook you. I also thought it took up too much computer resources and was a bit too difficult.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:47 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by RPI-Fan
Mizzourah: Hate to drift off topic here, but if you don't mind, what specific things about NHL 2004 do you like?

I'm a much bigger fan of 2k3 than 2003 - 2003 was just too flashy. But I now have a PC capable of running such software (before I was soley on X-Box) , so that aspect of 2004 is interesting - what about the PC would be better, and what about 2004 is improved in general?

Thanks!
~kyle

I don't have the game yet. FWIW, I've been reading comments over at thunderpuck.com. Most people who are praising the game have it for the PC. I'm debating getting it for my ps2 though, as I'm not sure my Geforce 4 MX420 card will run the game very well.

I haven't seen a review for the PC version yet either, I'm curious as to how much different the game is on the pc. Most people think the game is smoother and of course much better looking.

I'll post some thoughts if I get it today.

Todd
Old 09-25-2003, 09:48 AM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

I agree, NHL 2003 was maybe the worst of the series since its inception.

Todd
Old 09-25-2003, 10:25 AM   #23
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Todd

I'm willing to sell or trade my copy of Sim City 4 right now... make me an offer.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 11:17 AM   #24
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Hey MizzouRah,

I bought SimCity 4 when it first came out and have been playing it on rainy days....it is alot of fun...a good time teaser.

I picked up SimCity 4 expansion yesterday(alonf with C&C Generals expansion Zero Hour $29.99)....at EB for $19.99.

And get this, it has 2 rebate offers on the box. 1 for EA for $10 cash and 1 for EB for a $10 gift voucher....which equals.....FREE!!! (Or 9.99 since you have to use the EB gift voucher at their store later on for another purchase.

The expansion really adds alot to the game and has made it alot more fun to play(no kidding).

You can even catch criminals who break in to your businesses.

Pick it up....not bad for $10 bucks after rebate.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:33 PM   #25
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
I'm willing to sell or trade my copy of Sim City 4 right now... make me an offer.

Ok, here is what I have:

Privateer 2 The Darkening
Baseball Mogul 2000
Out of the Park 2
High Heat Baseball 2000
High Heat Baseball 2001
High Heat Baseball 2002
High Heat Baseball 2003
Ceasar II
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
FPS Baseball 96
FPS Football 97
Police Quest SWAT
Fallout
Black & White
Tony LaRussa Baseball 3
Civilization
Virtual Pool
MDK
Pebble Beach Golf Links
Total Annihilation
Lords of the Realm II

One or some of these or I will give you $20 for SimCity 4 (hopefully includes shipping).

Todd
Old 09-25-2003, 08:35 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by cincyreds
Hey MizzouRah,

I bought SimCity 4 when it first came out and have been playing it on rainy days....it is alot of fun...a good time teaser.

I picked up SimCity 4 expansion yesterday(alonf with C&C Generals expansion Zero Hour $29.99)....at EB for $19.99.

And get this, it has 2 rebate offers on the box. 1 for EA for $10 cash and 1 for EB for a $10 gift voucher....which equals.....FREE!!! (Or 9.99 since you have to use the EB gift voucher at their store later on for another purchase.

The expansion really adds alot to the game and has made it alot more fun to play(no kidding).

You can even catch criminals who break in to your businesses.

Pick it up....not bad for $10 bucks after rebate.

Sounds good. They have the multi pack out which includes Simcity 4 and the expansion pack. I almost bought it today. So, if I get the expansion, I could get it for $9.99 and simcity 4 for $10 off?

Todd
Old 09-25-2003, 08:53 PM   #27
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Sounds good. They have the multi pack out which includes Simcity 4 and the expansion pack. I almost bought it today. So, if I get the expansion, I could get it for $9.99 and simcity 4 for $10 off?

Todd

Yeah thats right, I just got SimCity 4 Deluxe which includes the expansion pack for 39.99. Don't buy them seperatly or you'll pay 10 dollars more after rebate.
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:43 PM   #28
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Yep!
Old 09-25-2003, 11:56 PM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

pjstp20,

Let me know what you think of the game. I'm definitly getting SimCity 4 deluxe for PC, Tiger Woods 2004 for ps2, or NHL 2004 for ps2.

Ahhhh!! Too many choices... too little money.....

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-26-2003 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:04 AM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

After reading the Tiger Woods 2004 review for the ps2, that one's coming home with me tomorrow.

Todd
Old 09-26-2003, 07:28 AM   #31
Philliesfan980
Banned

If you have a PC, why not get Tiger Woods for that MizzouRah?

Could be fun setting up some tourny's on here.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:39 AM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Philliesfan980
If you have a PC, why not get Tiger Woods for that MizzouRah?

Could be fun setting up some tourny's on here.

From the review (PC):

We ran the game on a P4 2.6GHz machine with 1GB RAM and a GeForce 5200. At a resolution of 1024x768, it ran fairly well, but with framerate hitches occasionally and an overall inability to keep at 60, we preferred to bump the graphics settings down a bit. It has a built-in optimizer that will examine your system specs if you don't want to fiddle with it.

My PC is a P4 2gig, 512 ram, and a Geforce 4 MX 420 video card. I would have to upgrade my card to really play the game well I would think. It's cheaper to go the ps2 route and much easier to have friends over to play.

Todd
Old 09-26-2003, 08:08 AM   #33
Philliesfan980
Banned

Interesting. There's something about golf games on consoles that I just can't get into. I'll have to give the PC version a try before going out and looking at the XBOX version.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:16 AM   #34
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

As far as SC4 goes...ugh.

I think they suffered from the 'great ideas, horrible implementation' syndrome. I was never really able to get a decent city running, and it seems to me the ONLY way to get things moving is to utilize the region maps, and have your cities relying on each other.

Which, is too much work. I want to focus on one city, build it up, and if I feel like it later, expand to suburbs or whatever later. I just don't think you could do that in this one. You about had to build a bunch of towns first.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord

I think they suffered from the 'great ideas, horrible implementation' syndrome. I was never really able to get a decent city running, and it seems to me the ONLY way to get things moving is to utilize the region maps, and have your cities relying on each other.

Which, is too much work. I want to focus on one city, build it up, and if I feel like it later, expand to suburbs or whatever later. I just don't think you could do that in this one. You about had to build a bunch of towns first.

Thanks CW. If I can get this game at a bargain price, I'll pick it up - not for $39 though.

Todd
Old 09-26-2003, 03:32 PM   #36
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I liked Sim City 4, and I hadn't played any SC since the original on Super Nintendo. I like region play, I like the expanded game, and I'm trying out Rush Hour to see if I like that as well.

-Anxiety

Old 09-28-2003, 01:42 PM   #37
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord

I'm not sure what to say here, i really liked this game and may go back to it now if i get the expansion pack. I had no big problems at all building a viable, self-sufficient city on one sindle map. But i would always build on the adjacent maps because i thought it was so much fun. And really i considered the WHOLE thing 1 city and each map was just kind of a region or neighborhood. With this mentality i didn't feel i had to fill in every single block on the map with something. Look forward to trying Rush Hour and hearing te reviews of others.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:23 PM   #38
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I agree.. I enjoy Sim City 4. I often play it on one computer while doing work on my laptop... It doesnt have to be an all in-single focused game which is great for me and my work.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 05:46 PM   #39
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan T
I agree.. I enjoy Sim City 4. I often play it on one computer while doing work on my laptop... It doesnt have to be an all in-single focused game which is great for me and my work.

Hmmmm... that's good to hear. Everytime I bid on it, I have to leave and someone outbids me right before the aution ends. I need to find one I can come back to close to ending.

Todd
Old 09-28-2003, 08:34 PM   #40
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

REPORT -

I am really liking Rush Hour. I started on the Middle Earth Region, and I'm naming cities after places and mayors after the people who fit that region in the stories. I started in Dunland but I've moved east into Fangorn. Fangorn's mayor, of course, is Treebeard.

Lots of fun. The missions is a greaat way of pumping your rating, getting some cash, unlocking gifts, and changing the game up. It also makes you want to build things that you don't normally do in order to get a vehilce. I never build an Army Base, for example, but I hear that the Tank missions are a blast...

The new options are nice too. Police Kiosk, Large Elementary Schools and Large Water Pumps, all of the additional transportation options, etc.

Fun!

-Anxiety

Old 09-28-2003, 08:49 PM   #41
sabotai
General Manager

Hmmmm.....well, I do have a birthday coming up. I guess I could tell someone to grab it for me.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:20 PM   #42
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

I think it is Best Buy that has Rush Hour for $9.99 this week with the $10 mail-in rebate. Thus free.
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:07 PM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kam
I think it is Best Buy that has Rush Hour for $9.99 this week with the $10 mail-in rebate. Thus free.

I know SimCity 4 deluxe (includes both), is on sale for $34.95 this week. It's tempting....

Todd