Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2003, 08:58 AM   #1
Cuckoo
College Starter

PC Help

Over the years I have read a thousand of these computer help topics, always thinking to myself "Ahh, good thing it's not me."

Well, now it is me, and I need some help, so do your usual outstanding FOFC job and solve all my problems for me. Here's the situation.

I installed a couple of new sticks of RAM (256 each) a couple of days ago. As soon as I turn on the computer, the BIOS recognizes all the RAM, but Windows only sees the two new 256s, but not the 128 that was there before. Overall, this isn't that big of deal to me. 512 is plenty, and I just figured that the 128 might be bad or something. To answer any questions at this point, yes I did all the proper grounding during install and yes the RAM is all of the same speed.

The bigger problem is, however, that for some odd reason, my computer is stalling now every time I turn it on. It simply won't boot up and the monitor isn't coming on at all. The funny thing is that all I have to do is pull the computer out, unplug the monitor, and plug it back in, restart and it's fine. I really don't want to do that everytime I boot up my computer, though, and I can't figure out any reason why it'd be doing that other than the simple fact of a connection problem. But, if it was a connection problem, wouldn't it come in and out during the time the computer's on?

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. I consider myself fairly knowledgable in the ways of the computer but certainly not as much as many of you around here.

Thanks in advance.

Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 09:14 AM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

This may or may not be your case, but on many motherboards, they have the option of various types of memory that can be use, but sometimes they have certain limitations. Many motherboards might not let you mix memory types, or even some motherboards might not let you mix memory sizes.. ie: it will only recognize certain memory.. .

Not alot of help I know, but that would be my guess if all of the memory works independantly, but not together all at the same time. (note this is not the case for all motherboards, as some will let you do what you are trying just fine).

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 09:17 AM   #3
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan T
This may or may not be your case, but on many motherboards, they have the option of various types of memory that can be use, but sometimes they have certain limitations. Many motherboards might not let you mix memory types, or even some motherboards might not let you mix memory sizes.. ie: it will only recognize certain memory.. .

Not alot of help I know, but that would be my guess if all of the memory works independantly, but not together all at the same time. (note this is not the case for all motherboards, as some will let you do what you are trying just fine).

I checked this before I added the RAM, but I two 32s installed with the 128 before that were even of different brands than the 128 and it all worked fine. Plus, the motherboard's book doesn't say anything like that, so I assume that's not the problem.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:28 AM   #4
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

two thoughts -

1) if you aren't running Win2000 or WinXP, you may run into flakiness trying to run more than 512 of memory - never heard of that casusing troubles in bootup, though.

2) any chance that you jarred your graphic's card loose while installing the memory? if that's not seated properly, the computer will refuse to boot.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:31 AM   #5
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
two thoughts -

1) if you aren't running Win2000 or WinXP, you may run into flakiness trying to run more than 512 of memory - never heard of that casusing troubles in bootup, though.

I'm running Win2000.

Quote:

2) any chance that you jarred your graphic's card loose while installing the memory? if that's not seated properly, the computer will refuse to boot.

Yes, this could be it. In fact, it's about the only thing I can think of too. I'll probably open it up as soon as I get a chance and make sure, but I was just wondering if there was maybe something else causing it of which I wasn't aware. And also what would be causing Windows not to recognize the other 128 of RAM.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:56 AM   #6
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Some motherboards also require the "smaller" memory to be in certain slots. Check the manual to see if the RAM needs to be in a specific order.
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:13 AM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Kam
Some motherboards also require the "smaller" memory to be in certain slots. Check the manual to see if the RAM needs to be in a specific order.

I was just thinking about this, as I have had this same problem before. Just a matter of ordering.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:50 AM   #8
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kam

I thought about that too but didn't see anything in the manual about it. To be safe, though, I installed them the same way as before with the lesser one at one end. Didn't make any difference.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:09 PM   #9
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Are all the memory cards the same speed? i.e.) are they all PC2100 or PC2700, or are they different? Also if your video card is intergrated it can steal memory.
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:36 PM   #10
Cuckoo
College Starter

Yes, they're all the same speed. And my video card is an add-on ATI card. I think that's what you're asking. It's not integrated.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #11
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

The general rule for ordering of RAM is put the largest sticks closest to the processor.

May be an old wives tale, but it has always worked for me.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote