Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2003, 10:17 AM   #1
Bee
Pro Starter

Question Jim's new game...

I have a question for anyone who might follow things closer than I do (or at least a better memory). Since Jim announced that the sport his new game will be based on has changed, has he made any statements that he hasn't gone back to football? I'm thinking a new TCY would be a very welcome addition.

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I have not seen where he has confirmed or denied going back to football.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:24 AM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

Well here's his statement:

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic
It is a sports game. But I had to change plans a few months ago, and am now working on a different sports game.

I don't know for sure, but I don't see anything wrong with making an announcement this fall.

And that was posted in the middle of August. While I still think it's baseball, I'm really hoping that he's decided to go with TCY2.

At least we know that it's not auto racing or horse racing, from his latest post.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:26 AM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

He also hasn't denied baseball yet, if you want to read into his statement in the thread on classifying the types of text sim game players.

As long as whatever it is runs on ME I'll be happy.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:35 AM   #5
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
He also hasn't denied baseball yet, if you want to read into his statement in the thread on classifying the types of text sim game players.

I noticed that too. If anything that post strengthens my belief it will be baseball but I'm still holding out hope for TCY2.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:47 AM   #6
primelord
Pro Rookie

Well I am not certain I am supposed to share this with you guys, but what the hell. Jim told me that he was well into development on Front Office Curling when the Canadian Curling Association sent him an immediate cease and desist letter. Apparently they had gotten wind of the fact that he had used the likeness of several of curling's superstars without getting the proper licensing. So the project known as Front Office Curling is now dead.

However I am pleased to let you know that you can expect Front Office Ring Toss to be available in the very near future! In fact assuming things go as planned. (As they always do) Jim plans a sequel FORT: The Lawn Dart Years. Things are looking VERY bright on the Solecismic horizon!

Edit: p.s. this is very hush hush insider information so don't let Jim know I told you.

Last edited by primelord : 08-26-2003 at 10:48 AM.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:50 AM   #7
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Naughty primelord! Bad!

*spank*
Old 08-26-2003, 10:53 AM   #8
TroyF
Coordinator

With the "Lawn Dart Years" will there be suspensions for drunk competitors who have wild throws that kill family dogs, cats and the occasional child?

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:53 AM   #9
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
Well I am not certain I am supposed to share this with you guys, but what the hell. Jim told me that he was well into development on Front Office Curling when the Canadian Curling Association sent him an immediate cease and desist letter. Apparently they had gotten wind of the fact that he had used the likeness of several of curling's superstars without getting the proper licensing. So the project known as Front Office Curling is now dead.

While your attempt at defending Jim is noble, we all know the truth. Jim dropped the Front Office Curling sim when he found out that HornsManiac was developing the game "Curling - The Cocky and Funny Way". Fearing the head to head competition with a superior mind, Jim quickly dropped the project.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:56 AM   #10
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
...several of curling's superstars...

Right.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:57 AM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Geez, this is all news to me (well, not the curling info...). I do recall Jim mentioning some bad news, but I figured it was personal and didn't feel it was appropriate to ask him to expand on that statement.

So...what's it take to get actual info about the status of Jim's new game in a separate thread? Or, maybe we can have a sticky thread called "Jim's Comments" where people who happen across a Solecismic post can post the quote into that thread (related to game development, of course).

Since this IS the FOFC, isn't that the least we can do to keep us all informed?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:07 AM   #12
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
With the "Lawn Dart Years" will there be suspensions for drunk competitors who have wild throws that kill family dogs, cats and the occasional child?

TroyF

I've said too much already.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #13
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Geez, this is all news to me (well, not the curling info...). I do recall Jim mentioning some bad news, but I figured it was personal and didn't feel it was appropriate to ask him to expand on that statement.

So...what's it take to get actual info about the status of Jim's new game in a separate thread? Or, maybe we can have a sticky thread called "Jim's Comments" where people who happen across a Solecismic post can post the quote into that thread (related to game development, of course).

Since this IS the FOFC, isn't that the least we can do to keep us all informed?

Ksyrup,

All joking aside I think you have the latest update if you read the thread where he talked about suffering a set back. As far as I know he hasn't given any more of an update past that he plans on making an announcement this fall.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:16 AM   #14
Ksyrup

I know I saw that post, but not the one quoted above. Was that in the same thread, just later on? I probably never returned to that thread for whatever reason (I don't even recall what it was about).

The point is, Jim shows up here and there and posts in off-topic threads about football, media, or whatever else, and even the most active members probably don't read every thread here. It would be nice to have a place to go - or for new members or just passersby to go - to quickly read what the latest update on game development is, in Jim's words (even if through you).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-26-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:21 AM   #15
Ben E Lou

Ksyrup:

I agree. If someone will do the research, I'd certainly be willing to sticky such a thread.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:27 AM   #16
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I know, he's doing a baseball sim and will be affiliated with .400 Software Studios. .400 has brought him in to create a rival for OOTP as there is more bad blood there than what is showing.

In all of this we will learn that Jim was spotted in the grassy knoll and that the staff from .400 were the creators of the infamous Alien Autopsy films. This will cause such a stir that we will become blinded to the fact that Markus is harboring Saddam and his sons (who we find out are still alive) and will be employing them as beta testers for OOTP6 as they introduce a new feature that will allow owners the option of torturing their players if they have not played up to expectations. To cover up all of the controversy .400 Software will hire the Iraqi Information Minister who will immediately come forward to issue this statement "TDCB was released as a complete and finished product on it's release date. The infidels who have claimed likewise are committing suicide by or front doors out of the shame caused by their lies."

Maybe my wife was right, I need to get out more.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:48 AM   #17
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
even the most active members probably don't read every thread here

Some of us try
Old 08-26-2003, 11:59 AM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

I don't read threads about soccer or poker. Besides that, everything's fair game!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, I don't read the soccer ones. Poker, yes. If it's outside of General Discussion then I likely haven't seen it either.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:03 PM   #20
Bad-example
College Starter

"Will there be a Front Office Football 5 or a College Years 2?

At some time in the future, it's likely we'll create new versions of these games. This will not happen in 2003."

That is the quote from the Solecismic FAQ page.

TCY never caught my interest much. I will buy any sports game Jim releases as long as it isn't a college game.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 12:05 PM   #21
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm with Kysrup - I saw the 'personal setback' thing, but I completely missed the 'new sport' thingy.

perhaps Bee Fritzed a quote?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #22
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
I'm with Kysrup - I saw the 'personal setback' thing, but I completely missed the 'new sport' thingy.

perhaps Bee Fritzed a quote?

Nope. I bumped the thread with the quote so people wouldn't have to go searching for it.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:09 PM   #23
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad-example
"Will there be a Front Office Football 5 or a College Years 2?

At some time in the future, it's likely we'll create new versions of these games. This will not happen in 2003."

That is the quote from the Solecismic FAQ page.

TCY never caught my interest much. I will buy any sports game Jim releases as long as it isn't a college game.

I was hoping this was put up before his change in plans and he just never updated it...
Old 08-26-2003, 12:30 PM   #24
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

gee, you'd think if I posted in it, I would have read it...
Old 08-26-2003, 12:35 PM   #25
Samdari
Roster Filler

Well, I see it this way. After FOF4, he announced his next product would be a different sport. His August post seemed to indicate that he was switching from THAT project to another one. I agree with SkyDog that there has been no confirmation or denial of him switching to a football game. TCY2, here we come.

And you would think he would at least have the courtesy to come to this thread and taunt us for how ridiculous all this speculation is.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:40 PM   #26
Ksyrup

So let me get this straight...

For all of our detective work and analysis over the past 9 or 10 months, we've progressed from "Is it a sport?" to "Is it a new sport?"

That's swell.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-26-2003 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:45 PM   #27
Bee
Pro Starter

We also know it's not auto racing or horse racing...
Old 08-26-2003, 12:47 PM   #28
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
We also know it's not ... horse racing...

::sobs::
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 12:54 PM   #29
Ksyrup

*Shameless attempt to drag the thread off-topic*

Come on, everyone knows auto racing and horse racing aren't sports!

Seriously, I guess that narrows it down a little, but I didn't really consider those to be very high on the list anyway. However, I guess we can cross them off the list, and that counts for something.

Considering the fact that he changed games in mid-stream, I guess Jim's rationale for keeping quiet until he's sure about what he's doing was well-thought. Imagine what this place would have looked like had he announced baseball, for instance, as the next game early on, got everyone either excited or disgusted, then switched to something totally different or just a new and improved version of FOF or TCY.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:55 PM   #30
Ksyrup

Woops. I guess QS has already taken this thread WAY off-topic!
Old 08-26-2003, 12:58 PM   #31
Bee
Pro Starter

My guesses in order of liklihood:

Front Office Baseball
TCY 2
Front Office Hockey
Front Office Basketball
FOF5

I have a feeling that he was working on Hockey and hit problems that forced him to switch to Baseball. Just a gut instinct though.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:02 PM   #32
Ksyrup

Well, do we know when this "setback" occurred? Given Jim's thoroughness in gathering data to make the game as accurate as possible, if this setback was relatively recent, I seriously doubt he would have the time to do all of the research necessary to begin the next game and feel comfortable about announcing what it is within the next couple of months. If it occurred a while back - maybe even during the data-gathering portion of his preparation - then I can believe that he'd be far enough along on the new game that he would fee comfortable making that announcement. Otherwise, I think we're getting TCY2.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:08 PM   #33
The_herd
College Starter

If we got TCY2 I think my wife would give up and get her own place to live.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:16 PM   #34
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, do we know when this "setback" occurred?

According the quote above it was a few months ago.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:36 PM   #35
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
The point is, Jim shows up here and there and posts in off-topic threads about football, media, or whatever else, and even the most active members probably don't read every thread here. It would be nice to have a place to go - or for new members or just passersby to go - to quickly read what the latest update on game development is, in Jim's words (even if through you).

I would be willing to put together the intial compilation of Jims posts if the demand is there. I preformed a quick search and there are 44 threads Jim posted in on the new board. I would want to know how much if any of the stuff at the old board would be relevant also. In some of these threads, Jim's post was a statement that had nothing to do with his company or his games. An example of that is the "30 Year Draft files" thread, where he stops by to say congrats. Then there is the middle ground, such as the thread about his baby, where he talks about his life in general, and how he is taking some time off and also doing some preliminary reaserch for his next game. And then there are his posts directly concerning his next game, such as in the recent jims next game thread. PLease let me know if there is the demand, and I would gladly put together the compilation of all his relevant statements. YOu can PM me or just respond on this thread.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:40 PM   #36
mrsimperless
College Prospect

This sounds too much like stalking to me. If we hold every single post he makes up to the magnifying glass and then compile them and put them on display for all to see, do you think he is going to want to post here anymore? Give him some space. We will find out about the game when he is ready to tell us.

The way I see it we can continue to have Jim as a part of our community (granted, he doesn't post too often now) and not find out about the game until he is ready to tell us. Or, we can harrass him and drive him away from our community. And still not find out about the game until he is ready to tell us. Or perhaps even later.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:49 PM   #37
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

I worry that extra GM function often goes too far down the RPG road. Owner and media behavior is often so arbitrary in professional sports.

This qoute tells me all I need to know. Jim is uninterested in the "arbritrary" things that flesh out a sim and makes them more than just number crunching. I guess whatever Jim makes next, I'll wish him the best of luck and not buy it. Since playing CM, I'm getting less and less interested in playing a glorified calculator, and more in a game that makes me feel I'm a coach, GM, or owner in the real world.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:01 PM   #38
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsimperless
This sounds too much like stalking to me. If we hold every single post he makes up to the magnifying glass and then compile them and put them on display for all to see, do you think he is going to want to post here anymore? Give him some space. We will find out about the game when he is ready to tell us.

First of all, I am not neccissarily a proponet of this idea. I just volunteered to do it if the demand is there. With that said, we would not look at every post, we would only look at the posts relevant to his next game. How would that be any different than what we are doing in this thread, except it would be with the full amount of information avaliable, in one place. However, I do think we should talk to the people who know Jim the best(Primelord,ect.) and find out if this would make him mad. I doubt it, because we already do anaylze his the same posts.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:03 PM   #39
Bee
Pro Starter

It would mostly be a service for those who don't come here often. Keep all relevant data in one spot. I think it's a good idea myself.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:05 PM   #40
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
It would mostly be a service for those who don't come here often. Keep all relevant data in one spot. I think it's a good idea myself.

I agree, this site is probably a little overwhelming for people coming here thinking its going to be FOF discusions. It would make things a lot easier for new people and actually help Jim out some.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:13 PM   #41
Ksyrup

This isn't stalking. I would not want any of his posts about his baby or his thoughts on the price of tea in china in such a thread - simply the posts in which he makes some comment related to the development of a new game and/or patches or updates to existing games.

I'm not suggesting we do this just so we can hold his posts up to a magnifying glass (although I don't deny that that would happen), but rather, to give people an idea of what Jim is doing now and what, if anything, to expect in the near or far off future. Someone who bought FOF4 last year, but doesn't participate in the FOFC community, enjoyed FOF4 and is wondering what Jim's next venture is. You can't get that info from anywhere around here, nor even on Solecismic.com. I understand that's the way he wants to do things, but when he publicly comments - at a forum entitled Front Office Football Central, no less - it ought to be made readily available to anyone who would want to know what he has said.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-26-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:20 PM   #42
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
I don't read threads about soccer or poker. Besides that, everything's fair game!

Jeeber, you ESPECIALLY read threads about Sock Her or Poke Her!
Old 08-26-2003, 02:22 PM   #43
Ben E Lou

What Bee and Ksyrup said.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:24 PM   #44
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee

Agreed. It is not unlike any other form of entertainment (movies, television shows, etc) in that fans keep track of what is known and what is unknown. I think it is a nice idea, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:47 PM   #45
wbatl1
High School Varsity

I am working on it right now.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:40 PM   #46
primelord
Pro Rookie

Until we get that sticky thread.

Quote:
I couldn't care less about licensing. Personally, I think it's a liability because you have to wait for some professional idiot to approve your game before you can release it. You also have to remove features like player suspensions and point spreads.

The decision was a very tough one to make because it wasn't something I was forced to do.

I certainly didn't lose the work I did, and will go back to it some day if a new opportunity arises.

From this thread.

Last edited by primelord : 08-26-2003 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:44 PM   #47
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsimperless

The way I see it we can continue to have Jim as a part of our community (granted, he doesn't post too often now) and not find out about the game until he is ready to tell us. Or, we can harrass him and drive him away from our community. And still not find out about the game until he is ready to tell us. Or perhaps even later.

It was difficult at first when I realized people were doing that with my posts.

If you look back on the old forum, you'll see a couple of posts where I say I enjoy participating, but I can only do so as just one of the guys.

After a few years of this, I have a different view of things. I try to watch what I say a little more, and that it's nice that people are actually interested in what I'm working on.

I am fairly certain I'll have an announcement early this fall.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:44 PM   #48
Bee
Pro Starter

You can almost sense the fear of HornsManiac's "Curling -The Cocky and Funny Way" in that quote by Jim.

Last edited by Bee : 08-26-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:48 PM   #49
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Well, remember it was a licensing delay that cost EA the opportunity to put FOF2001 on the Madden disk. That changed everything. FOF went from something even the top people at EA cared about to something they refused to put another dollar into.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:50 PM   #50
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, remember it was a licensing delay that cost EA the opportunity to put FOF2001 on the Madden disk. That changed everything. FOF went from something even the top people at EA cared about to something they refused to put another dollar into.

That's a shame too because I think Front Office Football Online would have been a nice little money maker for everyone involved.