Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2003, 11:03 PM   #1
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

NCAA 2004

I just finished the first year of my regular season dynasty, 9-3, 6-1 (Conference) with New Mexico State. We won the bid to New Orleans, to take on 7-5 Houston in the New Orleans Bowl. I love this game, and I LOVE the SI covers. This game is much much better.

We did have a convotersy though, as Ohio State clinched the Sugar Bowl berth, beating Michigan to cap of a 12-0 season as Big 10 Champs, and held on to the No. 1 Ranking all season long.

No. 2 Georgia went into the SEC game, with No. 3 Tennessee sitting, watching the rival (the only team the lost to all year, which is why the 'Dawgs are in the SEC title game), and pulled it out. A lost would of meant the Vols would be like Nebraska a few years ago, no championship conference title.

No, Georgia won, giving us a true title game. However, the Rose Bowl gets first dips since Ohio State was No. 1 in the BCS.

Tennessee and Iowa get the at-large BCS Bids, but they replace the No. 1 team with the highest BCS team, giving us Tennessee and USC in the Rose Bowl. In real life, Rose Bowl would of took Iowa-USC. I like to see this worked out alittle more next year.

l. I hope they fixed this next year, with the top team's bowl getting the right to pick the team if that conference is one of the either one of those two teams. Are the BCS bowls in the game have tie-ins like real life?

Also, are bowl teams below the 7-5 record knocked off off bowls?

Also, anyone know what the computer polls in the game are based on, the BCS Ranking one?

Last edited by SunDancer : 08-17-2003 at 11:13 PM.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 12:24 AM   #2
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Tennessee and Iowa get the at-large BCS Bids, but they replace the No. 1 team with the highest BCS team, giving us Tennessee and USC in the Rose Bowl. In real life, Rose Bowl would of took Iowa-USC. I like to see this worked out alittle more next year.

What makes you so sure about that? Don't you remember last years Rose Bowl?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 01:39 AM   #3
mrskippy
Banned

I believe Rose Bowl is supposed to be Big 10 Champ vs Pac 10 Champ. The exceptions:

-- When Rose Bowl is the BCS title game
-- When the Big 10 or Pac 10 Champ is #1 or #2 and gets the BCS title game bid
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 01:44 AM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Last seasons Rose Bowl:
Oklahoma 34
Washington State 14

Last seasons Orange Bowl:
Iowa 17
USC 38

I don't like it any more than you do with what the BCS has done to the Rose Bowl, though that is the way it is.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:50 AM   #5
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Yes, but the way the bowl system works is in the game (remeber, this is on a video game, doesn't involve the money part), that they should involve something where if the Rose Bowl loses the top team to the title game, and one of the two BCS at-large teams is from same conference, they should get replaced with them. The same deal with the other regional tie-ins. I believe the Bowl that loses the No. 1 team in BCS gets first pick.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:53 AM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
Yes, but the way the bowl system works is in the game (remeber, this is on a video game, doesn't involve the money part), that they should involve something where if the Rose Bowl loses the top team to the title game, and one of the two BCS at-large teams is from same conference, they should get replaced with them. The same deal with the other regional tie-ins. I believe the Bowl that loses the No. 1 team in BCS gets first pick.

Why? That doesn't happen is real life.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:04 AM   #7
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I understand your point, but remeber, NCAA 2004 doesn't take in factors such as money, like the Bowls do.

But also, Ohio State was the No. 1 team. So the Rose Bowl would get the first pick of who they would of picked to come, and they would of plucked Iowa (one of the two BCS teams), over Tennessee anyday. That would happen in real life. The Rose Bowl would want to try to maintain that matchup as much as possible.

Last edited by SunDancer : 08-18-2003 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:24 PM   #8
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Re: NCAA 2004

Quote:

Also, are bowl teams below the 7-5 record knocked off off bowls?

I've seen Notre Dame get in at 5-7 so thats a no. I see alot of the C-USA #6 and other bottom teams in coferences with less than bowl eligable records going to bowls.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:47 PM   #9
Celeval
Pro Starter

I've posted the full bowl lists with records in my Georgia Tech dynasty in the reports board - after two years, I've seen a number of 6-6 teams get in; but nothing below that yet. Now, they'll list sub .500 teams in the Bowl Previews before the bids are officially extended - but that seems to be entirely based on conference standings; it looks like At Large bids replace teams who don't qualify.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:21 PM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I understand your point, but remeber, NCAA 2004 doesn't take in factors such as money, like the Bowls do.

But also, Ohio State was the No. 1 team. So the Rose Bowl would get the first pick of who they would of picked to come, and they would of plucked Iowa (one of the two BCS teams), over Tennessee anyday. That would happen in real life. The Rose Bowl would want to try to maintain that matchup as much as possible.

Didn't you say that Tennessee was the #3 team? If Ohio State was #1 and Georgia was #2, then why wouldn't the Rose Bowl pick the highest available team? As mckerney has already stated, the whole Pac-10/Big Ten Rose Bowl deal is no longer a certainty. I don't remember where you said Iowa was ranked, but if Tennessee is the top available team, why WOULDN'T the Rose Bowl pick the Vols?