Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2003, 04:53 PM   #1
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

NL Central Heating Up

It's now August 14th and the NL Central is seperated by 1/2 games up at the top.

What a great series for the Cubs, their strength (Pitching) really just mowed through the Houston lineup. It's a shame Wood couldn't be rewarded with a win with his fine effort but we'll certainly take 3 out of 4!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Last edited by Neuqua : 08-14-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I hope the grid doesn't fail!

Seriously, the baseball's been great this year. I've enjoyed staying up way past the time I should be sleeping to watch the west coast games. Haven't seen many Cubs game this year, though.

The Marlins are becoming quite a fun team to watch, as well.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:20 PM   #3
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Cards and Astros now tied atop the NL Central
Old 08-14-2003, 05:30 PM   #4
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

With the Cubs only a 1/2 game behind
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 08-14-2003, 10:19 PM   #5
Craptacular
College Starter

Are the Brewers 50 games out yet?
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 12:35 AM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

The Astros finally break their Kerry Wood jinx but now they can't beat any of their other pitchers. Ugh...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:08 AM   #7
tucker342
Pro Starter

Great to see the Cubs still in it this late into the season. Cubs Vs. Red Sox world series!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:09 AM   #8
SteelerFan448
High School JV

I was hoping the Buccos would have played better spoilers against the Cards. They have the Marlins coming up, so maybe they can knock them a game or two back.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular

Give them a break Crappy. They are only 26 games under .500 this season.

Did you see the fact that Miller Park drew 14,000 people for a minor leage (A) game yesterday. People just want to see competitive baseball in this town.

When is the last time we were in a pennat race...what 1987?

SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 01:42 PM   #10
Easy Mac

NL Central Heating Up

What, did a team in the division win a game?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:34 PM   #11
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Cubs are in first place!

Old 08-15-2003, 09:53 PM   #12
Cuckoo
College Starter

Go CUBBIES!!!

Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 04:51 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by SplitPersonality1
Give them a break Crappy. They are only 26 games under .500 this season.

Did you see the fact that Miller Park drew 14,000 people for a minor leage (A) game yesterday. People just want to see competitive baseball in this town.

When is the last time we were in a pennat race...what 1987?

Having been in Kansas for nearly 6 years now, I can sympathize. KC is so desperate for a winning team- the energy in the stadium is just electric this year. I was at the game last night and while we were down 9-1, people were going nuts any time we had anyone on base.

The only time I really felt this in Houston was the year we got the Unit for a rental and felt we had a real shot for the World Series.

As for the central, I'm kindof torn. I guess, if a gun is put to my head, I go Cubbies since it's genetic and that will never go away (4th gen Cubs fan). But I was raised in Houston so I really like the Astros. Unfortunately, I've been removed from exposure to both for a while since WGN keeps cutting back on Cubs games (I remember when I could see at least 3 weekday Cubs games a week- it was great: come back from school, flip on the Cubs). Houston gets no media exposure at all, save the occasional jab for that Boston tool, Peter Gammons, who apparently has some grudge against McLain because he's one of the hard line owners.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 06:53 PM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

Woohoo! Astros swept the Cards for the first time since '97! We're now two games up on the Cubs and 5 1/2 up on the Cards...

Quote:
HOUSTON (AP) -- The Houston Astros just about ended the playoff chances of the Cardinals.

Tim Redding combined with three relievers on a three-hitter and Craig Biggio drove in three runs as the Astros beat St. Louis 4-1 Sunday to complete a big three-game sweep.

Houston boosted its NL Central lead to two games over the Chicago Cubs and dropped the third-place Cardinals 5½ games back with two weeks left in the regular season. The Astros and Cardinals play three more times in St. Louis next weekend.

"You can't start talking about scenarios," Cardinals catcher Mike Matheny said. "We're not going to give up. The guys in here believe in each other, and that's what's gotten us this far, and it's going to continue to get us through the rest of this season."

It was the first sweep over the Cardinals for the Astros since a three-game series in April 1997.

"These games do end up counting more because if you win three you're in great shape and if you lose three you end up being in even more of a mess," Astros third baseman Morgan Ensberg said. "You have to put them away, and we did in this series. It was a great series for us."

St. Louis has lost four straight overall, dropping to just two games over .500 at 76-74.

"Obviously, it's going to be tough," Tino Martinez said. "But we're not out of it yet. We've got ... three more against these guys, so we've just got to stay in striking distance until they have to play us at home, and then maybe we can get back in it."

Houston outscored the Cardinals 20-6 and outhit them 29-13 in the three-game series. The Astros are 10-5 against St. Louis this season.

"We came down here thinking we pretty much had to win two out of three," the Cardinals' Kerry Robinson said. "That's our approach to every series, but it just didn't happen."

Redding (9-14) allowed one run and three hits in six innings. He had been 0-5 in six starts since beating Florida on Aug. 1. The Astros scored an average of 1.6 runs in those losses.

Brad Lidge, Octavio Dotel and Billy Wagner pitched one hitless inning apiece, with Wagner getting his 43rd save in 46 chances, his 21st in a row.

Dan Haren (3-6) lost his fifth straight decision, allowing four runs and five hits in 3 2/3 innings. He is 0-4 in six starts since defeating Pittsburgh on Aug. 11.

"They did everything better than we did," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "I never thought we'd come in here and lose three, but we've got to find a way to turn the page, and we will."

Lance Berkman tripled to start the second and scored on Richard Hidalgo's sacrifice fly, and Houston made it 2-0 in the third when Redding doubled and scored on Biggio's single.

Scott Rolen grounded into a run-scoring double play in the fourth. Biggio had a two-run single in the bottom half after Brad Ausmus singled and Adam Everett was hit by a pitch.

Old 09-14-2003, 08:00 PM   #15
Cuckoo
College Starter

I just wish the Cubs could've found a way to win today. While I was hoping that the Cards would at least win one from Houston, I can't really say this is that bad of news. Now, for all intents and purposes, the Cards are out of the race. It's going to be tight down the stretch b/n the Astros and the Cubs. Cubs have an easier schedule but they need to gain two games now. Ahhh, September baseball for Cubs fans. It's a fine, fine world when it means something.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:32 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Congrats to the Astros, even though they caught that ahole winking at the Astros manager.

GO CUBBIES, beat those A-Stros!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:34 PM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
they caught that ahole winking at the Astros manager.

Eh?

Old 09-14-2003, 10:57 PM   #18
tucker342
Pro Starter

Come on Cubbies win the division!

wouldn't that be great if it was a White Sox Vs. Cubs World Series? Or a Red Sox Cubs World Series?
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 11:15 PM   #19
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Eh?

Typical LaRussa not admitting to his team being beat at a fair game.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:01 AM   #20
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular

They are ahead of the Reds though.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 07:02 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You have to admit that Umpire winking at the Astros manager and smiling after he throws out Duncan, Matheny, and Page was pure bs. They have that a-hole on tape and I hope he gets shit canned.

Stros played a great series, I'm not denying that.

Todd
Old 09-15-2003, 07:12 AM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
You have to admit that Umpire winking at the Astros manager and smiling after he throws out Duncan, Matheny, and Page was pure bs. They have that a-hole on tape and I hope he gets shit canned.

Stros played a great series, I'm not denying that.

Todd

That's the problem with being LaRussa or Phil Jackson or Krew-Ja-Woo-Ski. No one's going to take you seriously if you ever have a real beef with the officials because you always bitch and moan with them trying to play it. LaRussa is a well known user of the officials just like the guys I named above and you can't have it both ways. I like to complain about the refs probably more than the next guy, but he's known for crying wolf and this is what comes of that. If he saved his bitching for actually legit beefs than this would be getting a lot more credence.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-15-2003 at 07:12 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 07:30 AM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You may be right, but that Umpire went way out-of-bounds, I don't care how much LaRussa 'cries wolf'. Un-professional and downright stupid to get caught on tape doing that.

It could have happened to any team, but it's still wrong. There's no doubt LaRussa is frustrated about the end of this season, but I'm sick and tired of baseball umpires thinking their shit don't stink.

Todd
Old 09-20-2003, 04:53 PM   #24
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Nice to see there's been no love lost in arguably the biggest rivalry in baseball.

Prior raises heat in feud with Cards

By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter

September 20, 2003, 12:10 AM CDT

PITTSBURGH -- Starting pitcher Mark Prior added fuel Friday to the already intense Cubs-Cardinals rivalry in an interview on Sporting News Radio.

"I dislike the Cardinals so much that I will not even root for them," Prior said. "I hope that Houston beats their brains in and just sends them all the way back to whoever is in fourth place now.

"Hopefully, I'll leave it up to San Francisco next week, or Milwaukee. You know Milwaukee has a good offensive team. In talking with Richie Sexson, he would like to see us win. I think he might do us a little favor there."

Matt Morris, who had said earlier in the week he wanted the Astros to win the Central rather than the Cubs and had been 2-1 with a 1.29 ERA in his last five starts, pitched for St. Louis against the Astros on Friday night and lost 8-1 at Busch Stadium.

= = = = = = = = = =

There's silly talk on sportsradio here in Chicago that the Cardinals are embarassing themselves on purpose just so Cubs don't make it. While I don't necessarily think something like that would go down it certainly is great to see the Cardinals getting their asses handed to them. The only problem is that it's against the one team the Cubs are trying to catch.

Last edited by Neuqua : 09-20-2003 at 04:55 PM.