Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 07:01 PM   #1
CrashDavisSports
n00b

Angry FOF Problems and Piracy

First off, I want to let everyone know that I am andallthatjazz's friend from Ohio that he was telling you about on the boards last night.

In no way were we trying to pirate any software. I know the importance of intellectual property.

I owned the very first FOF game ever out on the market. I loved it, played the thing all the time. However, my computer went down, and it was almost impossible to contact anyone about my lost software, so the game I bought and downloaded online was gone, and so was my money.

When he came up to Ohio for a weekend we wanted to see how playing this game would be over the net. However, I told him before I buy another game from this company I want to make sure it works and does exactly what we want it to, otherwise I am not interested. There are many other great Football management games out there.

He owned this game so we were going to give it a shot, I borrowed his other license only long enough to see if it would work, and then I was going to buy the game. However, last night proved to be a failed attempt at using this game. I understand that people want to protect their property, and that is cool with me.

However, we were not stealing, and never intended to. If he rents a car from a car dealer, and decides to let me borrow it long enough to drive around the block to see if I like that car, is that stealing?

Wouldn't the car company be greatful to him for helping talk someone into buying their product, in this case car?

He would have explained this if he hadn't been banned from this board, but no one gave him a chance to explain what was going on. His first concern was getting the game working so he could prove to me it would be fun to play back and forth online.

Basically, all that needed to be said to him was, you are both using the same copy of the game, it will not work, you will need to buy a second copy to make this function work. Obviously the problem would have been solved, because I was going to buy a copy anyways. But after seeing what everyone had to say, forget it.

A great football management game is coming out at http://www.400softwarestudios.com. Check it out! You will not get criticized so badly. Solecismic Software just lost one customer. Not that I think they care, but before jumping to conclusions, maybe they might be a little more helpful next time instead of just banning people.

I know he was upset about his game "possibly" being stolen, but I am also upset that his licensing deal had problems when I owned the first game and stole my freaking money. So who is more at wrong in this case? Someone who is testing something to see if it works before buying, or someone that sells you something and then won't do anything to help you replace your license when your computer gets eaten by a virus?

Whatever!

Old 08-13-2003, 07:08 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Re: FOF Problems and Piracy

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashDavisSports
[b]Solecismic Software just lost one customer. Not that I think they care, but before jumping to conclusions, maybe they might be a little more helpful next time instead of just banning people./B]
Solecismic Software didn't ban anyone. I did.