Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

OT - Bicycle Advice

Since I know I need to get exercise somehow, and I haven't felt comfortable running since I broke my ankle last year, I'm considering buying a bike. Problem is, I haven't ridden a bike in about 16 years and don't have a clue about what kind I should get and what manufacturers to stay away from, etc. I'm hoping not everyone around here is as sedentary as I am, and might be able to give me some advice.

I'm looking for something to ride on the streets around our neighborhood and surrounding areas, perhaps even out on an actual road (although the area we live is fairly expansive and I could probably bike for miles without hitting a heavily-trafficked area). So I know I don't need something like a mountain bike. What should I be looking for?

Also, as far as price range, I don't want something too expensive, but I also don't want the $50 special at KMart/WalMart.

Thanks!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Well, seeing as how I've been working in specialty bike stores for the past 7 years or so, I might be able to help you out.

The MOST important thing about the bike is the fit. It doesn't matter if it's a K-Mart special or a Custom Ti frame. If the fit isn't good, the bike isn't good. This can -usually- be taken care of by going to a true bicycle shop with good personel. It's not always the case, however. Some bike shops are just there to sell.

If you're on the road, you should not be looking at mountain bikes, period. There are the remaining 2 styles then to look into. One is a hybrid, the other is a road bike.

Hybrids are a bit of a mix between mountain bikes & road bikes. They are not good at going off road, so if you ever aspire to that, get a mountain bike. They are not good for going at any sort of speed. If you even think you may want to get fit & explore cycling as anything more than a once in a blue moon endeavor, don't go here. What the hybrid does wonderfully though, it provide an easy, low cost, accessable bike. It's perfect for cruising around the neighborhood or a paved bike trail. If your aspirations lay no further than say a 20 mile ride, you'd do well to look here. Some other nice features about hybrids are their fit. They are extremely easy to fit, in fact, most people will fit on to 2 different frame sizes. The geometry on the frame makes it such that the bike is very upright. You're sitting up, not in a "racing" position at all. These bikes are all about comfort & easy riding. You could, with a good deal of effort & some hills, elevate your HR on these bikes, but these are not really meant for training. This is not to say that the bikes are totally wimpy. Their range can extend out as far as you want for the most part. Many untrained cyclysts would use these bikes for century rides or similar endeavors, so they do have a good bit of utility in that respect. Expect to pay $320-$675 for a good hybrid from a real bike shop.

The other bike you should look in to is a road bike. Now, with this bike, the fit is of paramount importance. A $100 junker that fits you is better than a $2,500 ride that doesn't. It's that simple. Road bikes range anywhere from $650 to as much as you could want to pay. A lot of people are scared by them, saying they're not "racers" or anything of that nature. There's no need. These bikes are just beautiful to ride. Most people, when they do their first few pedal strokes on a real road bike, just get big grins on their face. It's like nothing you ever imagined. Refrain from repeating phrases such as "This is way better than my Huffy", or "The last road bike I had was my Schwinn Varsity." Suffice it to say, they're not the same thing. If you aspire to "get into shape", a road bike will likely serve your needs much better than any other form of bike. If you aspire to extend distances out, again, a road bike is your best bet. If you don't know where you're going with the bike, but want to leave your options open..again, the road bike is the best bet. There are some down sides to the road bike. They're more expensive, and they -require- a good fit to be enjoyable.

The thing is, you're not just shopping for a bike. There are a bunch of other things you'll need and need to consider. First, you'll need cycling shorts. Yeah, go ahead & do a ride for an hour on your new bike without a pair. Complain & whine about your bum. Well, guess what, we don't wear the shorts cause we like lycra that much. Those things have a pad in there which helps comfort more than any saddle in the world. The material is made to get moisture off the skin, and it's tight so that you won't chaff. It is the single highest dollar to enjoyment utility you can spend on yourself when it comes to your bike. Expect $40-$90 there. Oh, don't wear underwear with 'em. It defeats the whole purpose.

You'll need a handfull of other stuff too. You'll need a helmet. I've been tagged by cars a half dozen times, only one of which was my fault. I've had 2 helmets fully split on 2 of those occasions. A helmet is not just for you, it's for your family. Wives don't like taking care of vegetables for life. Helmets run $25-$150. Important note, cost is not relative to protection. Pretty much all helmets meet the same ansi/snell standards. The difference is in weight & the number of vents. The less the weight & the more the vents, the higher the cost. Make sure it's fitted properly, or there's no point.

You'll need a tube or two and a pump you can mount on your bike. A good shop or salesperson will show you how to change the tube & use the pump. Don't expect the lesson the day of. If they've been helping you find a bike for an hour, they probably will ask you to come back another time for the 20-30 minutes or so it takes to instruct in how to change the tube. It takes a while for your first few times, but it's a skill that must be learned if you expect to go farther than a few miles from home. That's another $30.

Other "toys". Padded gloves. These absorb a good amount of road vibration for comfort, but also serve to protect your hands should you ever take a fall. Road rash on the palms prevents proper internet surfing.

A HUGE one for anybody expecting to put in any amount of time on their bike are clipless pedals & cycling shoes. They work like ski bindings. These stiff soled shoes have a protrusion on the bottom of the shoes that lock you into special pedals. Most novices balk at this their first time, but if they stay on their bike for any amount of time, they come back in the store & get 'em. It provides for a vastly more efficient transfer of power to the pedal & in the end, a more enjoyable ride. If you ever climb, the difference is beyond startling. This is not a must have right off the bat if you're hesitant. Pedals & shoes don't come on the bike so are easy adds later on. Anywhere from $100-$600 for pedals & shoes.

You're also shopping for a store. It's hard to tell who's good and who isn't. Just go with your gut. If you have a friend who's into riding, ask them their opinions. Remember though, they're just opinions. The most popuar shop in our area, the one most lay people would recommend, is utterly incompetent. Nobody who is in the community ever would take their bikes there, and yet, they are by far the largest shop and make by far, the most $$. Biggest shop doesn't mean best shop. I've generally had the feeling that if your salesperson doesn't actually ride, they're just there to sell you a bike. A guy who rides though, they want you to love it like they do. They'll sit there & talk with you just about riding & maybe what would be good or bad for you. They don't want you to leave the store with a bike & never see you again. They want you to love it & never regret buying it. Try going in at off-peak hours, just to get a feel for the place. Best bike shops I've ever been in enjoyed having people just hang out & learn.

With bikes, just as with much in life, you get what you pay for. Bikes in the $250-$1,400 range are all extremely similar. Companies will have little differences, but for the most part, you're looking at the same bike. Always ride the bikes...as many times as you like. I like to tell people that you generally won't find a bike that feels great. A bike that fits will just be. What you want to pay attention to when you ride are things that you don't like, or feel uncomfortable. That's the easiest way to narrow choices down.

Feel free to hit me with any questions you have. My shop just went belly up so I'm sort of free atm. . .

Last edited by damnMikeBrown : 08-09-2003 at 04:20 PM.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:04 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Damn! Thanks.

After reading that, I think I'm just gonna sit on my ass a little longer...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote