Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2003, 08:13 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Question OT: Mercy Me's "I Can Only Imagine"

OK. What is the story here??? How is this song getting such serious airplay on major mainstream radio stations? It isn't even one of the "less overt" Christ-oriented songs that have gained popularity in the CCM genre. This one is a very straightforward, direct worship song. I'm stumped. HERE is a link where you can listen to the song, and the lyrics are below.

Quote:
I can only imagine
What it will be like
When I walk by Your side
I can only imagine
What my eyes will see
When Your face is before me
I can only imagine

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus, or in awe of You be still
Will I stand in Your presence, or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine

I can only imagine

When that day comes
And I find myself standing in the Son
I can only imagine
When all I will do
Is forever, forever worship You
I can only imagine

repeat chorus

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-07-2003 at 08:25 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:24 PM   #2
FBPro
College Starter

I've been curious about the same, my thoughts were that it may be touching a "deep nerve" in our society and it's current state. I've heard it at more than one "memorial" services and I also think that it delivers a big message of hope.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:32 PM   #3
Easy Mac

we need more dc talk and jars of clay.

oh, and i think christianity isn't as small a culture as most people want to think it is. I think the feel of it also sounds a bit like a love song, so it kind of transcends its "Christian" roots.

Not my kind of music, but whatever works for you.

Jesus Freak rules!
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:48 PM   #4
FBPro
College Starter

Jars rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
markprior22
High School Varsity

I've wondered too Skydog...but it is an awesome song and I'm glad it's getting the airplay
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
ahbrady
High School JV

I like the song too, but I think it is strange that it is getting so much airplay as well. It's not a brand new song either is it? I am pretty sure that I had heard it a while back. I knew all of the words a couple of weeks ago when I first heard it on the radio, so I don't think I'm insane. I guess I could just be psychic though.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 10:36 PM   #7
sianews
Mascot

It is a relativly old song and being a stanger of "normal" radio stations I'm glad to hear it's getting alot of airplay. I remember hearing it a good year ago and thinking what a great song.
sianews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 02:19 AM   #8
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I have also wondered about this, since as you say, its lyrics aren't hidden or anything.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:44 AM   #9
Drake
assmaster

Could it have something to do with the Make a Radio Request app on the webpage?

Last edited by Drake : 08-08-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:45 AM   #10
Drake
assmaster

dola...

Of course, I'm not yet convinced that this is a Xian band "trying to spread the Word" rather than a record company trying to find another way to cash in.

Last edited by Drake : 08-08-2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:46 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake
Could it have something to do with the Make a Radio Request app on the webpage?
I doubt it seriously. The tune is over 2 years old, and similar campaigns by CCM artists in the past for mainstream radio play for much less "overt" songs have been failures by and large. Again, why THIS song is my question...
Old 08-08-2003, 11:49 AM   #12
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
I doubt it seriously. The tune is over 2 years old, and similar campaigns by CCM artists in the past for mainstream radio play for much less "overt" songs have been failures by and large. Again, why THIS song is my question...

Did you get the mailing from Carmen a couple of albums ago asking Xians to all go out and buy his album on the day it was released so it would set sales records that would make the world notice God's great work? You know, buy his album as a way to reach the lost.

Not as a way to make money. No, never. That still kills me.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:52 AM   #13
Drake
assmaster

dola...

Recognize also that this isn't antagonism, SD. I almost exclusively listen to CCM these days. (Check out Canadian-transplants-to-Nashville Downhere if you want some great new music.) But I'm extremely skeptical of the "ministry" of CCM record labels, especially now that most of them aren't independent anymore. When secular labels took over Word and Sparrow, I realized that those distributors should be treated like any other big-entertainment content providers. They have an agenda that may not be mine.

So you'll forgive me if I sound a bit cynical.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:47 PM   #14
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I haven't read most of this thread, but I'd like to thank you SkyDog for posting the lyrics.

I've been without email and internet for over a week now and so there's no possible way I could have seen this thread until now.

Often as I roam the passageways of my ship I'll sing a "Christian" song or hum it. Usually, it's one of my church's hymns, but it sometimes will be a Third Day or some other band's song.

Two days ago this song popped into my head and I've been singing it like crazy, well the parts I remembered. I don't have the CD out here, so I didn't remember all of it and didn't have a way to listen to it, either.

One of my goals today (since obviously email and internet are back up) was to make sure I got the lyrics so I could sing the whole song.

I do appreciate it!

AE
Old 08-08-2003, 01:10 PM   #15
Drake
assmaster

AE -

Go here . Create an account by clicking on the "Please login for Archives" link under the Video Archive section (It's free). When you have time, catch the Third Day set from this summer's Creation festival in Pennsylvania.

Lots of other live gigs are available from that festival as well.

Last edited by Drake : 08-08-2003 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:20 AM   #16
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Drake,

Thanks, could you PM this to me? I'll take a look at it when I hit a port.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:43 PM   #17
Hawaii Warrior
n00b

Is Evanescence a Christian band?

"The only way I will come back to the NFL is if the Lions hire June Jones as Head Coach..." -Barry Sanders

"When he threw the ball 38 straight times the other day, I said, 'That kid is my son,' " Mouse Davis said of June Jones.
Hawaii Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:31 PM   #18
ahbrady
High School JV

No. Evanescence is from Arkansas, and there was an article in the paper here a little while ago. It said that they were often confused as a Christian band, and several Christian bookstores even sold their CD's for a while. But they said they weren't.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:18 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

SD -- You've just asked the same question I came back from a recent roadtrip asking ... after hearing the song what seemed like every 10 minutes or so for 3 straight days.

The best answer that I've come up with is that it's a song that has an incredible hook. It's just ... catchy. The kind of song that sticks in your head for days at a time.

I suspect it'll have a high "burn factor" and when it's chart run is finished, it won't last long after that.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy seeing its success and fall back on the words of an old IT supervisor I once knew -- "some things just are"

BTW, did you get the song links I PM'ed you a week or so ago? Just curious if you'd checked them out & what you thought of them, figured this was as good a time as any to ask.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:50 AM   #20
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
BTW, did you get the song links I PM'ed you a week or so ago? Just curious if you'd checked them out & what you thought of them, figured this was as good a time as any to ask.
Yup. I stuck them in a file to listen to the next time I'm putting a full show together. Thanks!

--Ben