Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Question OT - Watching TV on my computer ??

Hey, just wonderin if I could get some advice/help:

Ok, so I'll be going back to college in about a week and am living in an apartment for the first time, me and two roomates. The thing is, I am one of the two people who have a tv of my own, so there is a good chance that my tv will end up in the living room. I have no problem with this as long as I would also be able to watch tv in my bedroom. I know that it is possible to watch tv on a computer, but I'll admit I'm pretty clueless as to what it entails or what is required.

I am also looking to buy a new computer so I guess what my question is what exactly do i need on/in my computer, and how hard is it to set somethin like this up? I'm lookin into a few PC's w/ the 64MB ATI All-in-Wonder 9000 Pro video card. Is this an acceptable card ? I dont necessarily need awesome graphics or quality, just basically the ability to watch tv in the morning w/o havin to roll outa bed. (Some long nights ) Do I need any other components for this to be doable? Do you just hook the cable line into the back of the computer? Or what??

Any information about this or experiences with doing this would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks..

- zums

PS: One more quick ?, there is only one cable outlet in the living room, if we split that and run it to the bedrooms will both have to be on the same channel or do they become independant of each other when you split it?? Thanks again

zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:28 PM   #2
Easy Mac

PS - answer: independent

First answer: Yes, just plug in the cable. Cheapest I see an ATI 900 AIW on pricewatch is $150. You can get a 7500 for $110.

I was thinking about doing this, but I'm just going to keep my TV in my room. Got to get some while watching movies with the girl.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:52 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have an AIW 7500 and it works nicely (tho a Radeon 7500 is a bit slow for some people now). All you do is hook up the cable into the back of your computer and you can watch. All AIW cards come with their little proprietary tv tuner program so all you have to do is install the cd that comes with it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:07 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

No no no.

You don't need one of those all-in-wonder cards. Just get a TV Tuner card. I got mine for $50 and I get TV and radio. I also got a little remote with it. It's better to get the graphics card and TV cards seperate.

A TV card is a TV card. I doubt (if you only want to watch TV) that you'll ever need to upgrade it.

Comp-USA Cards
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

^^^ THe correct answer

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:36 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah- this all depends on what you're looking for. You said you were looking at new PCs and the AIW is the way to go. If you are content with your current computer, you can get a tv tuner card for $50 max and quite a bit less on a good day.

SI

Old 08-06-2003, 07:51 PM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

I may be wrong here, but are you able to get TiVo like features with an All In Wonder?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 12:02 AM   #8
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks guys......just to clarify I dont currently have a computer at all so buyin just a tv tuner card isnt really an option. I guess i could buy a tuner card after i get the new PC but I would have to install it and with my luck i just feel more comfortable with gettin a new PC not to have to mess with it too much right away.

Also, yeah supposedly you get the same sort of features of TiVo like pause/record/etc. of live tv so that would definately be a plus. However, does anyone know do you need a broadband connection or always on dial-up for the guide and stuff to work or does it just d/l it ahead of time or what?? Thanks

-zums
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 02:05 AM   #9
44Niners
In The Penalty Box

umm - you can usually pickup a TV for about $50 or the same amount you will pay to have your card have a TV in and then of course you have the ability to watch TV and be on the computer at the same time - not sure why anyone would want to watch tv on thier computer
44Niners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 02:39 AM   #10
sooner333
College Starter

I'm only watching TV on my computer next year at school because I have to. Northwestern doesn't wire for cable so they digitize the cable signal and give you 20 channels through your ethernet connection. You don't need a card though since it comes through your internet cord.

TV's though, are more than $50 if you want a 19-20 incher...which would be computer moniter comprable. I've done my shopping on this at Wal-Mart and Best Buy and the best deal is the Apex flat screen at Wal-Mart for about $110 (not the best price, but the best deal based on quality and price). If my roommate doesn't bring one, I'll probably get one because of video gaming and movie watching that will eat away at my study time.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:18 AM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by zums
Thanks guys......just to clarify I dont currently have a computer at all so buyin just a tv tuner card isnt really an option. I guess i could buy a tuner card after i get the new PC but I would have to install it and with my luck i just feel more comfortable with gettin a new PC not to have to mess with it too much right away.

Also, yeah supposedly you get the same sort of features of TiVo like pause/record/etc. of live tv so that would definately be a plus. However, does anyone know do you need a broadband connection or always on dial-up for the guide and stuff to work or does it just d/l it ahead of time or what?? Thanks

-zums

You know what- I never really thought of that since I just go to Zap2It instead of using the guide that comes with it. I think the one that comes with it requires downloading but I've never really played around with it. Actually, I'm sure you can download it from ATI's site if you're that curious.

BTW, what kind of net connect are you going to have? Dial up? Cable? DSL? I have cable modem and all I did was take the cable outlet in my room and split it behind my computer so that one branch goes into the back of the cable modem and one goes into the back of the TV tuner card.

(Ok, no, I really didn't- I have this obscene setup where I have my computer and two VCRs and TV all hooked together by seemingly miles of spaghetti wire that doubles as an electronic monstrosity of a borg cube but that's another story that involves video editing and watching downloaded shows on my tv... but I digress- for the cable we're talking about, that's all I did)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-07-2003 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:42 AM   #12
Philliesfan980
Banned

Yeah you can get TIVO like functions with your video capture card. If you really want to spoil yourself , get the ATI Radion All In Wonder 9700. Great card for everything (games and tv watching). The All in Wonder comes with all the software you need to watch, and record TV programs on your computer.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 06:01 AM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I watch computer on my TV. Just like the VIC 20 days baby....
Old 08-07-2003, 08:04 AM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I watch computer on my TV. Just like the VIC 20 days baby....

Long live Commodore.

The local government channel in Frederick - channel 99 on my cable system - is basically a windows program which rotates through school lunches, open government positions, etc. It cracks me up when the program crashes, and they broadcast the blue screen of death and nobody seems to notice.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:06 AM   #15
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dola - I don't actively seek out this channel, but get there occasionally when I mean to channel down on the satellite, but the remote is on TV mode.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:09 AM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Long live Commodore.

The local government channel in Frederick - channel 99 on my cable system - is basically a windows program which rotates through school lunches, open government positions, etc. It cracks me up when the program crashes, and they broadcast the blue screen of death and nobody seems to notice.

The Lawrence Public Access station does this, too. Sometimes for an entire weekend because no one is manning the station

SI