Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone own a motorcycle?

Back when I was in the Marines, I had a 1991 Yamaha FZR 600 street (sport) bike. I sold it when I went to Japan and after getting married and having kids, the thought of getting another one never crossed my mine. Until....

My wife just told me I could get a bike and yet again I want a sportbike, so I've researched and I think I'm going to get a 2003 Kawasaki Ninja Zx-R636.

Anyone have one of these? or another sportbike?

What about reviews on the Kawasaki? I couldn't find much about them on google.com.?

Todd

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm too chickenshit.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I don't own one, but I'm a faithful fan of American Chopper. One of the first things I would buy if I won the lottery would be an OCC bike... ::drools::
Old 08-06-2003, 01:59 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Your wife is encouraging you to ride a donorcycle? Do you have kids?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:00 PM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Nope. My brother-in-law keeps telling me I need to trade in my car and get one, but I don't think riding the highways of DFW on one would be very safe. Plus my hair would look like crap once I got to work and school. Plus I don't want to get decapitated...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:09 PM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Your wife is encouraging you to ride a donorcycle? Do you have kids?

Perhaps he has an insurance policy...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:17 PM   #7
Rich1033
High School Varsity

I have always wanted one, but being 22 I have to wait 2 or 3 years beore I can handle paying the insurance.

I know a lot of people with them, and I hear only bad things about the Susuki bikes(Katanas?). The best seem to be Kawasaki, Yamaha, and the Honda CBRs.

I myself prefer the Honda CBRs.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Perhaps he has an insurance policy...

His wife just tripled his coverage.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:55 PM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Used to be into bikes, mainly Trail/MotoX ones (partially to do with me being 6'6'' tall and partially to do with me enjoying madly whizzing through forests at breakneck speeds ) ...

My favourite bike has probably been an old KX125 MotoX bike which took a huge amount of punishment from myself and my mates when I was a teenager. My last bike was an Aprillia Pegaso which rocked ... apart from the somewhat volitile engine which had a tendency to blow-up now and them (somewhat annoying when it took 3 months to get spares for it).

My sister is still very much a biker-chick and currently works in a bike-shop and owns around 5 bikes (ranging from very old commuter plodders to race replicas).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:03 PM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

PS. I'd second the call for a CBR if you really must get a sports bike, from all reports they're quick and nimble - yet better behaved than most psuedo racers.

If you want something 'better' than a sports bike get a TDM second hand, they look awesome, wheelie like made and are lots of fun (plus their top speed is only around 100mph so you're more likely to keep you licence (this is partially down to the outrageous gearing on them (very very fast pickup) ... but mainly due to the fact that you sit bolt upright and get buffeted by the wind so physically its hard to control the bike at much higher speeds than that).

Please be careful though and don't speed madly until you're used to the power of the bike (what-ever it is you get) .... the most common bikers to be in accidents are ex-bikers returning to the scene.
This is mainly because they are cocky or simply aren't used to the power bikes have these days (sitting on the back of my sisters boyfriends ZZR-1100 going at over 160mph scares the shite out of me personally (not that I'd admit it to him ) and the pickup/braking on it is incredible compared to the bikes I used to ride).

To put this into context (and explain my note of caution), my sister sells bikes for a living and is feeling guilty that one she sold to a long-standing customer who'd always rode commuter plodders was involved in a fatal accident within days of him purchasing it ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:11 PM   #11
bbor
Pro Starter

I don't o0wn a motorcycle anymore...but i stillown a motorcycle licence

Imyself was into the Enduro/off road bikes...never got much over 250cc....but as mark said...whizzing through the forests and such you don't need much more power than that

As for race rockets..i would'nt touch one.....car dirvers are too big idiots to ride a bike near.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:21 PM   #12
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I'm a cyclist, and I second the above statement about car drivers being idiots. I've been struck by a car on 5 different occasions since I seriously began cycling in '97. 6 if you count when I got bopped way back in H.S. Only one of them was in any way, remotely close to being my fault. Not much you can do though, when you're on a 19lb bike.

I have, however, always wanted a motorcycle. The two I like are the frequently mentioned CBR's, and a Ducati Monster. The CBR I like, because it is wide. I just like the look of the fat rear end on that bike. The Ducati, well hell, it's just a work of art.

Luckly or not, I've never freed up the $$ to buy one. I readly admit, even though I very much would like one, that I'm also afraid of owning one. As poorly as I've experienced drivers to be, I'm afraid for my mortality riding a motocycle.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 09:52 AM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've already owned one for two years and simply had a blast with it. A new purchase would be mainly for backroad cruisin, not highway speed racing, especially after hearing about Skydog's friend.

I'm almost 32, so I just want a bike for fun with the wife on the back and I love the looks of a crotch rocket, always have. I just can't ride a normal bike.

CBR's are definitly on the top of my list, but for the 2003 models, I like the looks of the Kawasaki 636R, plus they are cheaper than the Honda CBR, by a tad and have a good financing program going on right now.

I'll have to pay off the Best Buy card first, but the thought of owning a bike makes me smile.

Todd
Old 08-07-2003, 10:48 AM   #14
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown
I'm a cyclist, and I second the above statement about car drivers being idiots.

Lol when you are in a car, motorcycles are occaisionally very difficult to see, a function of being smaller than a car. I find it funny when motorcyclists complain about car drivers being idiots. Wouldn't that be a good reason not to ride a motorcycle, knowing how poor the average driver is, and how little protection you have?
Old 08-07-2003, 11:48 AM   #15
heybrad
Norm!!!

Yes, car drivers are idiots. They are nothing like the incredibly intelligent motorcycle riders who ride 3 inches from my bumper then attempt to pass between me and a Mack truck while swerving to avoid hitting side mirrors in traffic.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 12:23 PM   #16
clintl
College Starter

I never liked them to start with, but any chance that I might change my mind ended when my dad was in serious accident while riding a motorcycle. A car hit him almost head-on while trying to make an illegal pass, and he was in the hospital for two months with pretty much every bone on the left side of his body broken, and then several months more recuperation at home before he could return to work. He was very lucky, but it messed up his left leg permanently. Both his knee and ankle had to be completely reconstructed, and he has walked with a severe limp ever since.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 09:19 PM   #17
Craptacular
College Starter

Make sure you get an insurance quote before buying a bike. My brother had a Honda cruiser and a Honda crotch-rocket. Partially due to the outrageous insurance premium for the crotch rocket, he just traded both in for a Honda Gold Wing.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:34 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Insurance is only $60/MO with my car insurance company, it's nice (Progressive) is the largest Motorcycle inusrance company.

Todd