Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2003, 03:06 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Official CM4 Net Game signup thread

Ok: Here's the rules laydown:

1. We will be running the following leagues (the lowest league being run will be in parenthesis) We will be using the real players that come with CM.

English (Conference)
Italy (Serie B)
Germany (Bundesliga)
French (Div 1 only)
Holland (Premier)
Spain (La Liga)
MLS (MLS)

2. Teams will be based in England. No Premiership teams may be taken, however teams may be taken from Division 1 to Division 3.

3. We are limiting this to 16 players. Please do not sign up if you do not think you can play long term. We will have a waiting list for coaches to fill vacancies by those who drop out. Please use this topic to sign up for the primary positions, or the waiting list.

4. We will be playing roughly 2-3 times per week in the late afternoon and evenings, a session would generally run 1-2 hours, and may run longer. Players will need to be up to date with patches (EP5 needed)

5. Please post your choice of team in this thread.

6. I will update the current list of signups and waiting list in this thread.

(last update 8/9, 12:07 AM EDT, Server UP!)
Current List

SirFozzie- Cambridge United (Div 3)
VTBub - Hull City (div 3)
RPI-Fan - Boston Utd (Div 3)
Neuqua- Carlisle United (Div 3)
condors- Rushden and Diamonds (Div 3)
Chief Rum- York City (Div 3)
BriezhManu- Swansea City (Div 3)
The Afoci- Lincoln City (Div 3)
Radii -- Bristol Rovers (div 3)
Winkingpirate- Southend FC (Div 3)
bbor- Exeter City (Div 3)
McSweeny -Bury (Div 3)
GoldenEagle- Bournemouth (Div 3)
cschex- Kidderminster (Div 3)
Atatange1- Leyton Orient (div 3)
Easy Mac -- Darlington (Div 3)

(MAIN LIST FULL, all signups will now go on mailing list)

Waiting List
(NONE YET)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 08-09-2003 at 11:07 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:15 AM   #2
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Hmm.. I guess I'll have to give Foz some company down in Div 3, let's go Carlisle United!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:31 AM   #3
condors
College Starter

I will take Rushden in the 3rd divison
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:37 AM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Updated the sheet. Nice to see a couple folks joining me in Div 3. Maybe we ought to set up a preseason tourney for bragging rights..
Old 08-06-2003, 04:32 AM   #5
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Cardiff (Div 2)
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 05:26 AM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm in. But I'll get back to you on a team.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:07 AM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok. Put you guys on the list. Will check this thread when I wake up.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:18 AM   #8
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I'm in if dial up is okay. I generally am available for play after 8pm CST.

Lincoln City D3.

Is it real players, because if it is, beware of Scott Willis..

MUHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAA!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:18 AM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

I am definitely in, and will let you know what team I want this evening.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:07 AM   #10
winkingpirate
n00b

I would like to get in as well. Would like to play Southend FC.

Thanks
winkingpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:25 AM   #11
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I'm in - I'll take a team later.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #12
vtbub
College Starter

Ditto, but need to get you a team

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:24 AM   #13
bbor
Pro Starter

D3....Exeter

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:29 AM   #14
henry296
College Starter

SirFozzie,

Can you define late afternoon?

Todd
Old 08-06-2003, 11:53 AM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Todd:

I define late afternoon as roughly 6-7 PM. It's after most folks get home from work, but before night strikes
Old 08-06-2003, 01:04 PM   #16
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*bumps*

We have 11 names on the list so far, 5 more openings, plus we will maintain a waiting list.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:35 PM   #17
vtbub
College Starter

We take Brett and Bobby's favorite team...

Hull

Old 08-06-2003, 01:36 PM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok.. will update the team list with VT's selection
Old 08-06-2003, 02:38 PM   #19
McSweeny
College Starter

no one else in D1? I'll take Nottm Forest for now but maybe i'll switch to a D2 or D3 team if no one wants to join me up in the first divison
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:57 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Done McSweeny.. i think I got your name wrong tho
Old 08-06-2003, 02:58 PM   #21
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

GoldenEagle

I will take Watford.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:01 PM   #22
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Gotcha Eagle.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:04 PM   #23
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
I'm in if dial up is okay. I generally am available for play after 8pm CST.

Lincoln City D3.

Is it real players, because if it is, beware of Scott Willis..

MUHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAA!

Scott Willis is a bad mama jama.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:07 PM   #24
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Homage to Shaft

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
Scott Willis is a bad mama...

Shut yo mouth!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #25
cschex
High School Varsity

I'd love to test my CM skills against other players, sign me up.

I'll pick a team later tonight.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:08 PM   #26
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

He is. he will be one of my first targets. I dont plan on actually buying him, just getting him pissed at crawfish boy. His contract runs out in the first year, then he will be mine!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAAHA!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:11 PM   #27
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Gotcha Chex. Gettin down to the nitty gritty here.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:13 PM   #28
atatange1
High School JV

I'd like to take, Leyton Orient - Div. 3
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:17 PM   #29
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He is. he will be one of my first targets. I dont plan on actually buying him, just getting him pissed at crawfish boy. His contract runs out in the first year, then he will be mine!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

I see we have our first case of tampering already and the game hasn't started yet

Atatange1: Gotcha. 1 spot left in the main list but we will have an active waiting list/
Old 08-06-2003, 03:23 PM   #30
MrBug708
Head Coach

Man, I so want to do this....=/
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:25 PM   #31
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Man, I so want to do this....=/

Its called a new computer Kyle....

Dont worry, I would beat you anyway.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:27 PM   #32
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:

MUHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

In all my games with Lincoln, I can resign Scott by just giving him the max of everything. I will do the same. If I can't, he will bring a mint!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:27 PM   #33
bbor
Pro Starter

Did we ever get the word if dial up is o.k...i'd hate to slow the game down for everyone else.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 03:28 PM   #34
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

bbor: I'm hoping to grab Marc next time he comes around, but my gut feeling is that it shouldn't slow us down too bad.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #35
atatange1
High School JV

This thread should be a good read. It is a tips and advice thread for an online league. Linkage
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:49 PM   #36
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

If nobody else goes in Div 2, I'll take Swansea in Div 3
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 05:00 PM   #37
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Edited your pick Breizh

BTW.. with all the division 3 teams, we're going to add the conference JUST in case somebody (Neuq) gets (VT) Relegated
Old 08-06-2003, 05:04 PM   #38
vtbub
College Starter

Hah

Old 08-06-2003, 05:09 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

bbor: the file that atangel linked to said there shouldn't be any problems
Old 08-06-2003, 05:14 PM   #40
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

For those of you who can't read the linked file from SI: Here it is.

CM4 Online Forum Guideline - Advice & Tips

Thanks goes to TURPS, Danny, Dee, Dr Dre and Raptor for the below listed advice and tips guide. I’ve taken the liberty to edit some of the content in an attempt to keep them updated. I trust this offends no one.

1) ADVERTISE - it is crucial you source your fellow players by hand, send e-mail and use other Internet communication tools to try and promote your idea of a long term net game. It can take months to find players and they can be carefully sourced from these boards, other websites or by word of mouth. You can never set a serious long-term game up instantly. Sure you me get some knock backs but finding reliable, dedicated, mature, hardcore players who have personality is very difficult. Set a start date for your game in a few weeks, and you can run some tests and have time to co-ordinate all the players. For beginners only a few is best as more players means slower game play!

2) HARDWARE - It is best that hosts have a professional connection ie broadband as well as plenty of RAM and a fast processor to run the game server. It is not so critical for the players involved a reliable ip is best but 56k is fine if the numbers are limited.

3) TO JOIN A NETORK GAME - First of all you need the IP address from the person that is hosting that game. Notify the host of your wish to join his/her game and seek their approval, don't join a game without the permission of the host! Once you've gotten the IP address go to Network Play, select Join Network Game, select join other, fill in the IP address and click on next. The next steps are the same as usual. If you get a message that you couldn't join the game, then most likely the host isn't ready yet (try again a few minutes later) or the IP address you've been given is incorrect (contact the host to double check the address).

4) HOSTING - Hosts must be on-line for the duration of all gaming times. And a regular gaming slot must be agreed at the start ! And rules governing player's on holiday must be clear from the beginning also. Above all the host must control the net game fairly and show patience while organising all the players on game nights and by email and other internet communications on a regular basis.

5) HOW TO HOST AN ONLINE GAME

Load up CM4 and on the main Menu Screen Click Preferences.

In Preferences there is an option 'Run As Server’. This must be ticked.

Confirm and exit out of the preferences screen and back into the Main Menu.

Click on Start New Game, (As you would if you were starting a normal single player game) and continue to set up the game to how you want.

Once the game is set up, Save it and then go to game status. Your IP Address will be shown and you can then give this IP out to your fellow game members via a chat room for the game, or where ever you have decided to communicate with each other.

Note, when your not playing an online game, remember to un-tick the Run as Server option in preferences so that the Game is not Online, when you wish to play online again just tick the Run as Server Box.

6) THREAD - start a thread only after you are organised with the above! new players may get on board at this point, but don’t get too ambitious it is best you have a manageable amount. Use the thread in an imaginative way to deal with all Net game matters, as a running commentary ,and for communications on net game issues. This advertises your game and can show with a little bit of work you can achieve a successful long term game! The thread should have character and above all be fun. Thoughtful posts and links to a webby are good also.

7) IRC - It is a great help if you can dedicate an IRC internet relay chat room to run side by side with your net game. It’s best to play with the CM windowed so you can read the chat when games are on. It helps with problems like crashes! The IRC is a great way to have some banter with your gamers and should be encouraged! as well as in your thread. Also other players can contact you and speak as well as listen into how the game is going!

8) WEBBY- Did you know everybody who has an i.p account has webspace and can use this to post all the grabs and stuff on your net game. With a little effort you can set up a basic page or two and have a home for your net game where you can say and put what you want. This also with imagination can be a great laugh

9) RULES - follow some rules, which are all agreed, on the start so as not to cause confusion when the game is under way. Rules on new clubs and replay's from crashes must be made. As well as a other general rules like n o cheating and use of editors etc. Poaching players or slow play. Players joining and leaving the game must be prompted in from irc or holiday setting used etc. No passwords etc this will cause problems as well

10) SHOTLIST WINDOWS - the game should be made available earlier and later for players to scout the database on match nights, as this hopefully speeds up play. Other set times for this can be agreed if managers have new clubs or new players are needed. When playing on line it is important that managers continue in sync and hit the continue button regularly!

11) BACK UP -save the game regular every day if you can and back up your saves many times rotating the save files every time. 3-4 save files is the norm and keep an up to date save file of your system ie on a cd or back up hard drive, zip file etc. If the game crashes or is corrupt the back up will save your net game and u will be amazed the times you will need the. Crashes Players need to fully understand crashes are part and parcel of network gamest and may be caused by several things, most commonly, not setting Holidays, entering or leaving a game without permission, any player being disconnected from their ISP connection. General PC crashes.

12) HAVE FUN - stay committed to your game and keep it going for as long as you can. players may come and go for a majority of reasons but the game will always be there if you show dedication and are hardcore about playing on-line. If your game is running well, get to know the guys involved our players are friends now and we use mobile phones now, such is the trust involved. Promote your game on the thread and keep playing the agreed times if possible. If you can get a webby on the go as well and plenty of trusted regular players you could start a clan and take on other groups as well! its all hard work but if you get it right it is the best way to play CM in my opinion!

13) TAKING SCREENSHOTS - Many people do not know how to take screenshots in game. This is vital when in a long-term game if you want to show the board how your clan is getting on. It is fairly simple to take screenshots. All you have to do is press the print screen button of what you want then open up a Graphics program such as Paint or Paintshop Pro and paste it in by pressing CTRL and V. Viola, your image should appear. Go to save as and choose where you want the image to be kept (best to make a clan folder) then choose a filename and save the file as a JPEG because the quality is better. If you are playing in windowed mode, all you have to do is press alt and print screen and then follow the other steps. This will take a screenshot of the window selected and will automatically cut out any excess images such as your taskbar.

14) PLAYING SPEEDS - One of the worst things during the game is waiting for other people to do their business. Whilst playing, try not to take up too much time changing tactics and doing transfers. Only if necessary players may go search the transfer list. To solve this problem, The host should organize T&T (Transfer and Tactic) sessions where players may enter the game one-day during the week just to do extensive player searchers and sorting tactics. Another way to speed it up is just to press continue straight away and just wait for the others. In this time you can still do your team etc.

15) MATES - During the duration of the game you will get to know a few friends
who you will probably play with again sometime in another game. The point is that those friends will now know how reliable the host and the other players are and therefore will know if the game goes fast and how good the other players are.

16) LEAGUES - How many background leagues running? In top division games its hardly worth running background leagues as most the international stars are in the game. If you run other leagues any participating player can take another job in another country. Think carefully about this as this will defragment your net game and you will loose the whole point of starting a network game.

17) CHANGING CLUBS – Many Clans start at the bottom, this is a great leveller as most clubs are skint and it is a great challenge working with frees and limited resources. Remember any muppet can go MAN Utd or KILMARNOCK it takes craft and gyle to negotiate up the leagues. In some games players are allowed to apply for any mangers job they want (don’t include international jobs) this is a good laugh and is probably for most the quickest way to get up the leagues. If you run say the one league in a net game this keeps all the managers in the same country. Players find new clubs on the basis of their current reputation and managers status within that country. Players can when on holiday apply for clubs in their absence, but a warning of caution on this. As applying for clubs with a so-called higher reputation has unstuck many a manager in many a net game! And if your board get wind of it you will be in for the high jump! At the end of the day, if you take your small club up the ranks and turn them into a force! The bigger clubs will soon come calling and offer you the world!

18) INFORMATION - It is important that there is freedom of information both for communicating and organising net games. Players profiles must have up to date personal information and more secure details must change hands and be logged by the host. Game times and postponements, late starts etc can be sent to participants easily if these details are in place. Any dedicated IRC and webby is useful to get the message across as well, its good to talk!

19) MATCH REPORTS - Hosts and players should feel free to advertise their game by telling the board how their season is going, players who have been have gained promotion, been relegated, been sacked etc. Just a bit of banter to liven the game up and grab other people's attention. Hopefully, It will enable the board to "soak in the atmosphere" and maybe more people would want to join your game after reading how exciting your game is.

20) CLANS - The formation of clans should be openly encouraged, as future CM net games will be very large and groups of hardcore players will dictate the best games! In many other quality on-line games, clans are very common. Just type in Clans in any Internet search engine and you will see the many types all ready in existence! Clans should only be formed if you are fronting a successful long-term net games. A clan home should be formed on a webby so rivals and interested parties can check you out! This is also a great place to keep all the clan stuff like pictures and screen grabs! In my opinion a clan is different from and old game because they should be a collective group all dedicated under the 1 banner. For clans to be credible they should have at least 10 people who are united and stand together through thick and thin! It is not critical clan members should be friends but away from the game, communications should be good! Clans should have their own dedicated IRC. A clan identity must be created with a quality thread on these forums, and the clan webby.

21) DOWNLOADING WHILE PLAYING - Do not download other files while playing CM, for example music or various videos. It causes computer brain freeze and slows the game down tremendously or even crashes it. It is recommended that you download whatever you need during night, while the other CM players are off sleeping. This way, there wont be a conflict and the other CM players don't have to suffer cause your own interest.

22) CRASHES ARE PART AND PARCEL OF NETWORK GAMES - You'll lose the odd good result due to CM crashing on you. And by default, the re-run of that game will see you defeated. It may even cost you promotion or a trophy. Extra sour yes, and some people always seem to have a negative crash balance.

[This message was edited by Silverfox on 25 May 2003 at 16:59.]
Old 08-06-2003, 05:36 PM   #41
winkingpirate
n00b

Getting Started

With all the slots almost filled, when do you think we will get this going, Div 3 looks like it is going to be fun.
winkingpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 05:38 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Probably this weekend, or Mon-Tuesday at the latest
Old 08-06-2003, 06:04 PM   #43
Easy Mac

i'll take a d3 team if any spots are left open.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:05 PM   #44
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Mac: You got it, any preference?

(you would be the final Main List person)
Old 08-06-2003, 06:07 PM   #45
Easy Mac

whatever teams are left. Don't have it on my system right now, bur was going to reinstall tonight after I move around some HD space.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:30 PM   #46
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I gave you Darlington:

Club: Darlington
Ground Capacity: 8379 – 5600 seated
Balance at Start of Game: £1,141,529
Loans Outstanding: N/A
Sponsorship Deal: 75k per season –ends 2003
Training Facilities: Adequate facilities
Board Expectations: Invest in new players and start rebuilding the team
Old 08-06-2003, 06:31 PM   #47
Easy Mac

cool
Old 08-06-2003, 06:32 PM   #48
Easy Mac

dola, i've been to th raceway, but there isn't much else there
Old 08-06-2003, 08:17 PM   #49
cschex
High School Varsity

I'll be taking over the Kidderminster Harriers (D3)
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:25 PM   #50
Radii
Head Coach

Does anyone have a link to the latest patch? sigames.com is down atm.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote