Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2003, 07:20 AM   #1
bbo
n00b

OT- How do you enjoy OOTP5 solo?

I just can't get into OOTP5 solo. How do you do it? Do you sim a week at a time, month, etc? I have tried many ways and I think I am giving up. Puresim is much more fun IMO and I think OOTP is done for me. Any ideas on how to make the game enjoyable?

Thanks.

Brian

(By the way, I am at work and bored, just thought I would mention that)

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:28 AM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

To be honest, I have a hard time enjoying any game solo after a while (after the newness wears off). That alone is probably the biggest reasons why I could never get into puresim, why I don't enjoy CM or FOF as much as OOTP... for me the fun of OOTP is participating in online leagues..

When I do play OOTP solo, I generally enjoyed playing with historical players (because I love baseball history), or I enjoyed playing with fictional players to create some alternate universe... Now a days I spend 95% of my solo playing time just learning parts of OOTP better and get my enjoyment out of the online play.

Probably not exactly what you wanted in an answer, and perhaps I am not the typical person, I tend to get bored with any PC or console game though without human competition. My favorite games were generally sports games played with players, things like Civ2 multiplayer, and other RTS games that I never played the campaigns out, I would only play the multiplayer part.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:55 AM   #3
markprior22
High School Varsity

First of all, I find OOTP very encompassing. If the game just doesn't "click" for you, there might not be a whole lot you can do.

Some ideas

1) I play fictional leagues. You have no preconceived notions about how players should perform. I used to use real players but once I tried a fictional league, I have never turned back.

2) I try to play out 2-3 games in an OOTP week. If my team has a big lead, I may sim a week at a time and keep an eye on things. If I am playing out a game and it gets one sided, I may sim through the game an inning or two at a time. I don't want to spend my time playing out a 10-0 game. Also, pick competitive matchups to make it interesting. Sim the games versus last place teams and play more of the games against close competitors.

3) I give the computer control of my team every few seasons and let it sim an entire season. Then I have to deal with the players the computer let go, traded or signed as free agents. Kind of helps keep it fresh.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I only play historical leagues with Lahman. Apparently from comparisons, it offers a different gameplay than the default. I think it means that with a better pool of players, you get better AI teams and more challenge. Plus with my love of baseball history (as oppose to current baseball), that provides the hook to keep playing and to replay many times.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

You need an online league, which kill slots of time for people bored at work.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:05 AM   #6
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Nothing but fictional leagues... set up around varying premises... small town leagues... alternate history leagues (the Curt Flood decision spurs many of the leagues lessor players to go out and join a new league)... etc. You get to throw out all the BS the players association and owners spew and put together your own universe with your own rules.

For example my latest league is the NEBA (Northeastern Baseball Alliance) set entirely in New York and New England, it's a small town league with lessor talent and few superstars (to start this league create a blank league, fill minors on all teams... reset, release all, redraft and voila). When the financial coefficient is finished the leagues salary scale will run from 10,000 to 100,000 and the stadiums will be scaled back to appropriate levels for this league. I sim out about 7 years or so and then take over the team who's in the worst shape. Since I run a smaller league it only plays around a 120 game season (and two game series), and after playing all games for the first month to get to know your team I play one game in each series (switching it up so I don't take too many games with one pitcher). I tweak the era settings so that pitchers have slightly more endurance and 4 man rotations are the norm, there is no DH and never will be.

Essentially I create my own universe to get sucked into... you see new legends like the Howitzer Erik Howington who blasted 52 homers in 120 games during the leagues innaugural season (almost 80 homer pace) you see more one year wonders as all the players in the league are at about the same (lessor skill level, at least at the start as the league develops the skill will improve which is good since the quality of most leagues improves as it matures), first round picks in the June draft regularly are in the lineup June 2 (during the early years at least). It's all about creating the game you want to play.

Without the customization OOTP probably wouldn't have hooked me as quickly and not being able to customize is one of the things that kept me from being able to get as hooked by FOF as I did by OOTP.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:37 AM   #7
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I love the single player. Watching the first no-hitter being thrown in the league. Watching the first perfect game. Waiting to be able to name the Best Hitter, and Best Pitcher awards after somenoe who played great in the league. It's just awesome.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:42 AM   #8
Karim
College Starter

The way I play any baseball sim is (to echo everyone here) to set up a fictional league with teams that "mean" something to you (i.e., home town, natural rivals, etc.,). So I have a small 10-16 team league which enables me to get to know the players fairly quickly. I also take a painstaking time drafting all the initial players. I find this is the only way of becoming "attached" in any meaningful way. Then I play out in full the first 15-25 games so that I can learn how my team plays on the field. After that, I only play out in full games against my rival or if it's a battle for first place. Otherwise I just keeping simming, making lineup and roster changes.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:55 AM   #9
FBPro
College Starter

I like to play a variety of ways:

-Real players (but began the league w/ v3) and now the ficitionals are blending in. In 2008 now.
-Real players started this year with one of the latest roster sets, wanna get the full effect of all the game improvements into the league.
-Ficitional, just simmed 5 seasons and taking over the bottom of the barrel team.

This keeps things fresh as I can bounce back and forth.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:07 PM   #10
3ric
College Starter

"OT- How do you enjoy OOTP5 solo?"

I don't. Online leagues are the way to go.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:14 PM   #11
korme
Go Reds

Using Cato's history has really immersed me. I've taken 53 years of solo history and put it on local file. Great to look through.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:18 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottVib
Nothing but fictional leagues... set up around varying premises... small town leagues... alternate history leagues (the Curt Flood decision spurs many of the leagues lessor players to go out and join a new league)... etc. You get to throw out all the BS the players association and owners spew and put together your own universe with your own rules.

For example my latest league is the NEBA (Northeastern Baseball Alliance) set entirely in New York and New England, it's a small town league with lessor talent and few superstars (to start this league create a blank league, fill minors on all teams... reset, release all, redraft and voila). When the financial coefficient is finished the leagues salary scale will run from 10,000 to 100,000 and the stadiums will be scaled back to appropriate levels for this league. I sim out about 7 years or so and then take over the team who's in the worst shape. Since I run a smaller league it only plays around a 120 game season (and two game series), and after playing all games for the first month to get to know your team I play one game in each series (switching it up so I don't take too many games with one pitcher). I tweak the era settings so that pitchers have slightly more endurance and 4 man rotations are the norm, there is no DH and never will be.

Scott, when do you think that financial coeffecient will come? I've been meaning to do that to my Iowa league as well (make small stadiums, cheap players).
Old 08-04-2003, 02:27 PM   #13
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

drive 10 straight hours then sit back and get ready to enjoy 4-6 hours at a loading dock......OOTP gets pretty fun for me then. And it will be even better in a few weeks when i haven't been with my laptop for a couple weeks as i am currently waiting for AirExpress to pick it up for repairs.

More serious side, i use fictional players and play the manager mode which keeps me from cheating myself by using the editor...(ahhhh gee, whats it gonna hurt if i make this guy a little better at centerfield.......and maybe just a little faster......heck, while i'm here lets extend his contract 2 years since he's nice and cheap right now). That and i go through girlfriends like mad trying to find one with a name i like.....who picked those names?
Old 08-04-2003, 03:08 PM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I've tried a bunch of things to play OOTP solo but in the end it's the online leagues that I really care about.

Except the JBL, what a waste of time that is.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:42 PM   #15
andy m
High School Varsity

OOTP5 lasts about one season for me in single player, then i lose interest. i am pretty certain that it's because i've been spoiled by the much deeper Champ for the past 10 years, a game which i find it much easier to get immersed in.

OOTP in online league mode though is another matter entirely. great fun.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:48 PM   #16
FBPro
College Starter

It's all a matter of taste. OOTP could certainly go deeper in some areas and be more of a challenge, but "for me" I've never been able to get past one season of CM. One of those things.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 04:22 PM   #17
Swaggs
Coordinator

Marmel likes to play in the nude while listening to Marvin Gaye and chain-smoking.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 06:24 PM   #18
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Hey now Swaggs, you are just flat out lying!

I don't listen to Marvin Gaye.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 06:29 PM   #19
korme
Go Reds

The OOTP6 features sound cool.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:43 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
Marmel likes to play in the nude while listening to Marvin Gaye and chain-smoking.

Did you happen to confuse me and Marmel again?
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote