Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2003, 10:09 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Talking Uday and Qusay likely captured or killed!

Breaking news from MSNBC

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:24 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

That "likely" just kills the importance of the story for me.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:29 AM   #3
Celeval
Pro Starter

FOX News: Report: Saddam's Sons Captured or Killed
'Likely' That Udai, Qusai in Mosul Shootout
Fox News learns heirs to dictatorship probably in Mosul house targeted by U.S. forces

CNN: BREAKING NEWS U.S. troops investigating whether Saddam Hussein's sons Uday and Qusay were killed during firefight in Mosul, Iraq, Pentagon officials tell CNN. Details to come.

MSNBC: Saddam sons taken?
NBC News: ‘Likely’ captured or killed
Saddam Hussein’s sons Udai and Qusai Hussein were “likely” captured or killed in a U.S. raid in northern Iraq Tuesday. More details to come...
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:31 AM   #4
cuervo72
Head Coach

They were also reasonably optimistic that they had killed Saddam in one of the two bombing attempts directly targeting him. I'm hoping it's true of course, but will wait for definite confirmation.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:32 AM   #5
ice4277
Pro Rookie

The same thing has happened about a dozen times in this conflict already, be it for capturing people or finding chemical weapons. We'll see.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:42 AM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

On CNN they keep talking about Mosul as a part of the supposed Saddam stronghold. I thought Mosul was much farther north and basically in Kurdish control. Does anyone know any more about this?
Old 07-22-2003, 10:47 AM   #7
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Not that the departure of Saddam's sons from this mortal coil wouldn't be a good thing...

...but is anyone else creeped out by such a vocally Christian member of this board putting a grinning smiley face next to a possible death announcement? Sorry, SkyDog, but as good of news as this would be for political reasons, I guess I'd expect a little less joy from you.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:51 AM   #8
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

NM: The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:51 AM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69
That "likely" just kills the importance of the story for me.

the "breaking news from MSNBC" part did it for me.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:52 AM   #10
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
And what, exactly, does that have to do with putting a smiley face next to a possible death announcement?
Old 07-22-2003, 10:55 AM   #11
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Think of SkyDog being a proxy for many of the Iraqi Olympians, since they probably don't know about FOFC.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:57 AM   #12
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

But he's not. I'm also assuming that most of those Iraqi Olympians weren't Christians, and while I'm not comfortable speaking about Islam's views on killing, I know that Christianity has tended to take a fairly somber view.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:03 AM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu

Hooray! We just executed ten unwitting hobos, and have shipped their body parts for immediate transplant into needy donors.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:05 AM   #14
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Great, another ethical debate.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:06 AM   #15
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by NoMyths
Not that the departure of Saddam's sons from this mortal coil wouldn't be a good thing...

...but is anyone else creeped out by such a vocally Christian member of this board putting a grinning smiley face next to a possible death announcement? Sorry, SkyDog, but as good of news as this would be for political reasons, I guess I'd expect a little less joy from you.
I believe that this is a just war, and that these men were targets. That's why the smiley. Let's not try to rehash all the reasons, but can you at least accept that if it is a just war, then such a response is appropriate?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:06 AM   #16
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Anrhsfgtzfdghj(or however the hell its spelled): Christianity is certainly not about the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few. In fact I would argue that that the many outweighing the few is just another form of moral relativism.

btw- Its also a pretty good argument for taxing the rich and redistributing wealth!
Old 07-22-2003, 11:07 AM   #17
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Were the hobos dressed slutty?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:10 AM   #18
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

"Just" a war? These are real people getting hurt and killed, SkyDog.

I'd say a smiley face isn't appropriate. If I heard that Saddam had been killed, I'd probably feel fairly positive about it, but I've also got enough respect for the enemy to not celebrate unduly. After all, his side is still taking some of our guys every day.

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether this was a just war or not. But I don't like the idea of Christians celebrating killing...it makes me suspicious of how firmly they walk the talk, and as committed as I believe you are to your cause, your smiley struck me as surprising and inappropriate. Just one man's opinon, though.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:11 AM   #19
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Actually, I do find it creepy to see anyone's death placed next to a smiley.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:13 AM   #20
Ben E Lou

Quote:
"Just" a war? These are real people getting hurt and killed, SkyDog.
You juxtaposed words and COMPLETELY changed the meaning there. I trust it was a mistake. I said, "a just war" not "just a war." That makes a HUGE difference in meaning.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:15 AM   #21
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Ack...yeah, a mistake. My bad.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:19 AM   #22
Dutch
"Dutch"

Shit, if killing Saddam's sons makes the fugitives stop killing Americans I'm all about the smileys.

But I'm with cuervo on this one, until I know for sure, I'm skeptical.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:19 AM   #23
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ack...yeah, a mistake. My bad.
no prob...
Old 07-22-2003, 11:20 AM   #24
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips
Anrhsfgtzfdghj(or however the hell its spelled): Christianity is certainly not about the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few. In fact I would argue that that the many outweighing the few is just another form of moral relativism.

btw- Its also a pretty good argument for taxing the rich and redistributing wealth!

You did it right, just an "A" plus random letters.

War isn't about Christianity, it's what humans do. Christ, when He died and resurrected from the Cross, was certainly about the needs of the many (all humankind) outweighing the need of one that He was willing to sacrifice himself for all of us. It's something that we, as humans, cannot really comprehend so we just resolve it by knowing good vs evil and how it awkwardky plays out throughout history (esp. in the case of warfare).

Taxing the rich and redistributing wealth is about envy and covetness (think one of the 10 commandments). Volunteering to give up your wealth is what Christ talked about.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:27 AM   #25
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

I'm sorry, A, but I disagree with that assessment of both war, its relationship to religion, and your understanding of Christianity.

We can comprehend it. Christ was meant to be the last sacrifice--the last one killed for the good of the many. Yet we continue to enact sacrificial rituals (e.g. going after Saddam Hussein because he represents terrorism). Does it "really" matter if we capture or kill Saddam? Only to a degree...the symbolic value is much more powerful than the "actual" value.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:38 AM   #26
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

AhselihsdlkI'm really getting the hang of your name!) I was only using Christianity because of NoMyths' post. Personally I don't really agree that the good of the many is appropriate in Christianity all of the time. Certainly one is supposed to sacrifice self for God and fellow man, but I don't thik that applies to killing if it makes others happy.

And I just tossed in the tax thing to torment you, I'm not trying to say taxation is Christian or vice versa. My point was a doctrine of the many over the few seems to justify income redistribution at least to some level.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:39 AM   #27
Bee
Pro Starter

There was a war?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:42 AM   #28
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I agree, the symbolic value is much more powerful than the "actual" value. The actual value will come from the Iraqi government being able to govern on their own.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #29
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips
AhselihsdlkI'm really getting the hang of your name!) I was only using Christianity because of NoMyths' post. Personally I don't really agree that the good of the many is appropriate in Christianity all of the time. Certainly one is supposed to sacrifice self for God and fellow man, but I don't thik that applies to killing if it makes others happy.

And I just tossed in the tax thing to torment you, I'm not trying to say taxation is Christian or vice versa. My point was a doctrine of the many over the few seems to justify income redistribution at least to some level.

I know, it's a fine and confusing line. From Isaiah, ""For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD . When humankind is veiled by sin, wars are an unfortunate result. I cannot take up arms as willingly as other believers but it seems we do what we can to affect our sphere of influence, how imperfect that might be.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:51 AM   #30
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

If our ways aren't His ways, and our ways have traditionally been warfare, then why don't we try His ways for a change?

Or to add to Isaiah: when Jesus said love your enemies, I don't think he meant kill them.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #31
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

If it was Uday and Qusay killed.. that leaves 2 others dead along with them. . .

Probably just a pair of South African pilots....
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:57 AM   #32
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang
If it was Uday and Qusay killed.. that leaves 2 others dead along with them. . .

Probably just a pair of South African pilots....

I am sure we killed them when they were reading the Koran to blind children.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:01 PM   #33
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Dola,

My point is they are evil people and death is what they deserve.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:01 PM   #34
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

NM: In both cases, He was commanding His believers. If the majority of individuals and certainly all nations do not follow Christ and His ways, why are we surprised at the consequences?

I don't know why I thought of this anecdote but it may fit. When the Constitutional Congress wanted limited the new nation's armed forces to 20,000, Genl. Washington replied, "I would readily accept that limit if you can guarantee me that our enemies would also have the same limit."
Old 07-22-2003, 12:04 PM   #35
tucker342
Pro Starter

That's good news. But the key word is "likely." So I'll believe it when they have actual proof
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:05 PM   #36
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

It's not a matter of being "surprised at the consequences" -- that's merely a matter of most people not behaving in 'good' ways (e.g. Christians who aren't actually following the teachings of Christ). It's a matter of being surprised by the reaction of a vocal Christian member of the community celebrating a possible killing in what I felt was a tasteless way.

I'm not sure why you thought of that anecdote either.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:10 PM   #37
Subby
lolzcat

When I prayed to God this morning he told me he wanted them dead!

He's vengeful and jealous like that. Those bastards have false idols out the yin-yang!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:12 PM   #38
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Sounds a lot like what happened to Pablo Escobar.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:12 PM   #39
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
Those bastards have false idols out the yin-yang!
A friend of mine once had false idols coming out of his yin-yang. Very scary...
Old 07-22-2003, 12:23 PM   #40
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
It's not a matter of being "surprised at the consequences" -- that's merely a matter of most people not behaving in 'good' ways (e.g. Christians who aren't actually following the teachings of Christ). It's a matter of being surprised by the reaction of a vocal Christian member of the community celebrating a possible killing in what I felt was a tasteless way.

I'm not sure why you thought of that anecdote either.

Christianity isn't really the issue here. You're worried more about SkyDog not practicing the version of Christianity you endorse instead of the one he endorses. Christianity is not monolithic, and pretending that it is just so you can point fingers is dishonest.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:26 PM   #41
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Back to the news at hand...

Mosul is very far north in Iraq, which, according to CNN, is of great interest to the intelligence analysts. Were they about to cross the border?

We should know definitively if we actually got them this time. They have or will have the bodies and can do DNA testing if nothing else.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:29 PM   #42
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake
Christianity isn't really the issue here. You're worried more about SkyDog not practicing the version of Christianity you endorse instead of the one he endorses. Christianity is not monolithic, and pretending that it is just so you can point fingers is dishonest.
Come again?

I don't endorse any particular brand of religion. I do believe in pointing out dissonance between a religion and the way it is practiced. I've already explained why I felt it was in poor taste for a purported Christian to celebrate the potential death of an enemy in the manner that SkyDog did. There's absolutely nothing dishonest about that.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:33 PM   #43
Kodos
Resident Alien

Being a non-religious fella, I can tell you that news of Saddam's or his sons' deaths would bring a smile to my face. They are some of the most evil, despicable humans in history.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:33 PM   #44
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Come again?

I don't endorse any particular brand of religion. I do believe in pointing out dissonance between a religion and the way it is practiced. I've already explained why I felt it was in poor taste for a purported Christian to celebrate the potential death of an enemy in the manner that SkyDog did. There's absolutely nothing dishonest about that.

You're perceiving a dissonance based on your particular definition of the tenets of Christianity. Ask 5 Christians what Christianity means and you'll get 10 different responses. You know this. You're allowed to view SkyDog's smilies as poor taste, but you can't say that he's somehow failing in his religious duty just because your taste was offended (I'm using offended here very mildly). The dissonance you detect is his action vis-a-vis your perception of Christianity...not his action and "true" Christianity (whatever the fuck that may be).

Yes? No?

(Oh, and I should have put a smiley in that post, so here it is now - :P )
Old 07-22-2003, 12:39 PM   #45
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

I never said he was failing in his religious duty. I said that his use of a smiley face next to a possible death announcement was in poor taste considering his stated beliefs. Over and over. I'm not concerned with our differing perceptions of Christianity, but I'm familiar enough with the core tenets to know that Jesus probably wouldn't have done a touchdown dance if Pontius Pilate had been assassinated.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:43 PM   #46
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Come again?

Well apparently "your brand" doesn't leave room for a just war. I said very clearly that I believe it is a just war, and therefore celebrate achieving an objective. If I didn't believe it was a just war, then I'd be saddened.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:46 PM   #47
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

NM: You are getting close to another theological argument and that is what does death mean? For those believers in Christ, death is something we can mourn for the passing but joyful in knowing that there is eternal life. The alternate is something to be truly saddened by, if we were to know.

"The greatest pain in Hell is the loss of Heaven."
Old 07-22-2003, 12:53 PM   #48
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
...but I'm familiar enough with the core tenets to know that Jesus probably wouldn't have done a touchdown dance if Pontius Pilate had been assassinated.

Really? I guess you don't buy N.T. Wright's assessment that the famous "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's; render unto God that which is God's" shouldn't be paraphrased as "Pay your taxes and be a good citizen as long as it doesn't conflict with your religious principles", but as "Give Caesar exactly what he deserves - that is, a sharp stick in the eye - because everything really belongs to God and Caesar is trying to usurp it unjustly".

Jesus was more politically savvy and revolutionary than you give him credit for, I think. There are significant differences between the Disciples of Jesus (for lack of a better term) and Pauline Christianity.

What does this have to do with your statement above, you ask? Only a reminder that my point is that the only Christianity most people understand (myself included) is their own.

In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas.

Last edited by Drake : 07-22-2003 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:59 PM   #49
Subby
lolzcat

Drake -

I just talked to God again and he told me he can see your nipples through that shirt...

Just FYI.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:59 PM   #50
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake
Jesus was more politically savvy and revolutionary than you give him credit for, I think. There are significant differences between the Disciples of Jesus (for lack of a better term) and Praline Christianity.[/i]

I love a cookie based faith