LB Roman Henry, 81 tackles, 27 assists, 9 TFL
LB Randy Barfield, 32 tackles, 11 assists

Key Losses
WR Arnold Soltiroff, 32 catches, 374 yards
TE Gene Carr, 17 catches, 218 yards
LB Bill Dreiser, 89 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 int
LB Roger Pearson, 29 tackles, 2.5 sacks
CB Henry Peterson, 10 passes defensed, 25.6 avg. on Kick returns

We return our entire offensive line and backfield, which is a very positive sign. Of course, our offense was awful last year, so I'm hoping some of the new guys can beat out a returning starter. Defensively, we lose Bill Dreiser, which is going to hurt us immensely. Also, we will experience the loss of starting CB Henry Peterson. Last year our secondary was a sore spot and his loss can not be overly expressed. Dennis Harness, our best recruit, is almost certain to start as a true freshman. Welcome to the fire, Dennis!

Last edited by CraigSca : 07-20-2003 at 12:48 AM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Preseason Stuff

Good grief...my incoming mailbox is full .

Leon Lynn and Brad Rivera are suspended due to academic performance. Leon Lynn, FB, wasn't going to play much anyway, so I'm not troubled. However, Brad Rivera was an excellent backup guard with much potential. He still has a year of eligibility after this year, so hopefully he can get his life in order and help us out next year.

We have 8 guys who lose their girlfriends. Hey man, you don't come to Wyoming for chicks - everyone knows that! It's all about football, boys. Waaah, waah!

We lose our Great Lakes scout - no loss as we're concentrating on the NW part of the country anyway. Also, we lose our defensive coordinator, Christian Walker. HA HA. I guess someone was impressed with the somewhat-less- than-"vaunted" Cowboy defense.

Rich Atkins, a WR apparently disgruntled with our wishbone offense left the team to head to Vanderbilt. Oh well...I suppose he prefers to lose in Tennessee rather than Wyoming. Good riddance!

We pick up Victor May as our new defensive coordinator - he should definitely be an upgade and help us with our recruiting.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:22 PM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Scheduling

I pick up a game against Army in week 1, and a game at Southern Mississippi in week 2. I'd like to try to set up some rivalries with more of the military academies, as they'll probably be good for our record. I try to fatten up on Rutgers as well, but they reject me. Also, it seems no one wants to come to Wyoming - go figure.

Code:
Stadium Capacity: 33,500 Season Tickets Sold: 20,800 Opponent 1 at Army 2 at Southern Mississippi 3 KANSAS 5 COLORADO STATE 6 UTAH STATE 7 at New Mexico 8 BRIGHAM YOUNG 9 NEVADA-LAS VEGAS 11 at (44) Utah 12 at (38) Air Force 13 SAN DIEGO STATE
We sell only 20,800 seasn tickets - I obviously need to improve that. The schedule doesn't look that tough - unfortunately we're just not a good team, so I expect us to struggle. We have BYU at home this year, but two horribly rough games in back-to-back weeks await at us at weeks 11 and 12. Not sure what to expect, but if we can get 3-4 wins this year, I won't be disappointed.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:03 AM   #4
CraigSca
Pro Starter

2004 Season Preview

We enter the season ranked 99. Woohoo - we've broken the top 100. The media expects us to come in 7th in the Mountain West. Apparently, I must be on the right track as we're expected to get out of the cellar - yay!

Rivals.com said we had the 80th best recruiting class in the nation. Slowly but surely folks, slowly but surely...

Quarterbacks

2004 will be Hunter Clark's last year at Wyoming. He'll enter the year as our starter, and hopefully he can stay healthy. At backup, we still have Larry Cunningham and Isaac Galbraith, both of which proved to be unspectacular last year. Incoming freshman Marc Dazey is going to redshirt. He has much more potential than any of our starters, but is too raw. Gladly, he looks like your prototypical wishbone quarterback - excellent at scrambling, holding onto the ball, and shows excellent skill at throwing the long ball. We're going to have to get him a wide receiver/tight end to throw to .

Running Backs

Dexter Lavigne has one more year of eligibility after this, and will continue to start for us. Incoming freshman Isaac McConnell excels at 3rd down running, but there's no need to have him play this year as we have a lot of...mediocre RBs available.

Fullbacks

Incoming freshman Ross Dawson will probably start. He has much more potential than anyone else on the team.

Tight Ends

Senior Drew Whitcomb will start - he was an adequate backup last year and has certainly earned the job. Incoming freshman Brandon Pelltier has some excellent potential. I'm hoping I can redshirt him this year, but lack of depth at the position may cause him to have to play.

Wide Receiver

Hmm...not a strong point with us. It's going to be very hard to get WRs to come to Wyoming. We'll probably start Marcus Hopkins here, who caught a grand total of one pass last year.

Offensive Line

The entire cast comes back. Nick Thibodeaux will start at center, but we need to recruit a couple guys at this position to provide adequate backup as well as start in the future. At guard, 5th year senior Ike Nevarez will anchor. Brad Rivera would have competed for a starting job, but he's on academic probation . Instead, Winfred Shelton will get the starting nod. We're thin here at backup, but the recruiting class shows a lot of potential, especially Gilbert Stephens, who could prove to be a monster . At tackle, starters Quinn Carlson and Allen Gibbs return. Incoming freshman Ralph Freeman will redshirt, and has the potential to star for us .

Defensive Line

Returning starters Tyrell Collins and Nick Maloney will start for us again. Nick Kramer, our main recruit from Wyoming is uh...a typical Wyoming recruit. We certainly need to focus more on this position in the future. At tackle, Randy Tant will probably start again. Recruit Aaron Heap has a lot of ability, it's just not there yet - we hope to redshirt him.

Linebackers

The loss of Bill Dreisen will really show here . Fortunately, we still have Roman Henry, but this will be his last year. Of the incoming freshman, Blaine Cannida looks to be a little overhyped - I'll probably have him play backup this year, to allow Lenny Carr to redshirt. He has a ton of potential, and may allow people to forget Bill Dreisen . On the outside, Randy Barfield returns and may pair with Clay Dodge. Incoming freshman Robbie Rockwood is a conundrum. I'll probably redshirt him, but the jury is still out whether he has real potential or not.

Secondary

Xavier Schultz returns, but the real buzz is around true freshman Dennis Harness. He already is our best cornerback, and will probably start all 4 years for us. We still need to improve at this position, but Dennis is certain to anchor us here . At safety, Rich Borders and Ricardo McNeil return with two years of eligibility. They will prove adequate, but we will need to recruit some safeties this year.

Kicking Game

Floyd Fassero returns to take on our placekicking duties. He was 8 of 10 last year, but his lack of range hampered us. Unfortunately, we were unable to cajole a walkon to replace Harvey Brooks, who averaged a miniscule 32.8 yards per punt last year. He has two years of eligibilty remaining, but we hope this is his last .

Recruiting Targets

I'd like some running backs this year - the kind of guy to pair up with Mark Dazey and lead us into the future. I'd also like to add the following:

WR!
DL!
LB
CB
S!
P
K

and maybe an offensive lineman or two, if they are real impact players.

Last edited by CraigSca : 07-20-2003 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:43 AM   #5
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Week 1 - Recruiting

Recruiting

Our focus this year is on a running back, defensive line, safeties, WR, general OL upgrades, CB, P...pretty much everything .

Rejections
None

Letters of Intent
None

Comments

Wyoming is notoriously thin for recruits. However, there's a top 400 OT (Rod Branch, 6'7", 283 lbs) who's strength is run-blocking. I immediately visit and invite him to come to his state school...though I'm not entirely convinced he's the 2nd coming.

Top Recruits

S Geoff Ferguson, Orem, Utah
G Ricky Carpenter, West Valley City, Utah
G Johnathan Daluiso, Colorado Springs, Co
S Jamie Muchnick, Center, Co

These are all top 200 recruits, none of which we have any business in retaining. The first two are Top 100s - so...someone is sure to snap them up, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately, our big need is on the defensive line...and there don't seem to be many players that are a fit for us.

Last edited by CraigSca : 07-20-2003 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:12 AM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good job thus far. I like your layout
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Good Luck in '04 POKES!!
Old 07-20-2003, 09:21 PM   #8
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Week 1 - at Army

Wyoming at Army (-1)
Wyoming 0-0 (0-0), #102
Army 0-0 (0-0), #103

79 degrees, sunny

No previous meetings

There's a lot of excitement as we take the team bus to West Point. Army has a lot of tradition, and a lot of the boys are excited about being very close to the big city. Me? I'm excited about bringing MY recruits, my boys, to show off their stuff. Sure, I've grown attached to the guys I was given when I received the coaching job. But, there's nothing like seeing YOUR team head out there on the field. I can't wait to see how they perform, and I feel strangely confident, though it's always difficult to win away from home.

Hunter Clark did NOT have a good spring practice, but I'm going to give him the nod anyway. Freshman Ross Dawson will start at FB. One of the big surprises was junior Joseph Bost's performance at practice - he came out of nowhere this year and we expect big things from him. Along with Dawson, Robbie Rockwood (LOLB) and Dennis Harness are the two other true freshman starting for us. It's time to begin the dawning of a new age!

Attendance: 33,100

We win the toss, and elect to receive. Army kicks off to our 1, and Xavier Schultz returns to our own 17. All the butterflies are gone boys, let's get to work.

On the first play of the game, Hunter Clark throws a 19 yard completion to junior running back Jack Easterling. Jack performed well in spring practice, and has earned some playing time in the RB rotation for us, despite not taking a single rep last year. Lavignne gets 4 yards on 2 carries for us, and, on 3rd down, Hunter Clark again finds Easterling open for a 9 yard completion to our own 49. This is interesting - do we perhaps have a new weapon in our arsenal? Easterling gets the call on 1st and 10 and gets trapped for no gain. On 2nd and 10, Joseph Bost makes a clutch catch for 11 yards down to the Army 40. Good grief, we're a PASSING wishbone team ! Our offensive coordinator falls in love with Easterling and calls on him the next two plays - he's not disappointed. Easterling makes gains of 4 and 11 yards and takes it to Army's 25. To mix it up a bit, Dexter Lavigne gets the call and runs a trap for an 8 yard gain. Finally, the drive is stopped at the Army 17, and Floyd Fassero kicks it through the uprights for an early 3-0 lead. We're a little giddy with how well that went . Now, it's the defense's turn...

We kick off and Army starts at their own 22. Benefitting from an offensive holding call, we bring up a 3rd and 10. On the next play, Randy Tant breaks through the line to sack the Army QB for a 7 yard loss. The sideline is going nuts! We benefit from a poor Army punt, and start at their 48. Lavigne gains 5 yards on 2 carries, but Jack Easterling breaks through on 3rd down for a 22 yard gain to keep the drive alive. After two incomplete passes from the Army 21, Clark finds TE Drew Whitcomb open for the first down. Lavigne runs for 4 yards, and then Jack Easterling takes it into the end zone from 5 yards out. Boom, Wyoming 10, Army 0!

We kickoff, and on the 2nd play from scrimmage, junior Ricardo McNeil picks off an Army pass and runs it down to their 30 yard line! A 4 yard run by Lavigne, an 18 yard pass to senior RB John Hoover and an 8 yard TD run by Dexter Lavigne gives us a 17-0 lead at the end of the first quarter. Good grief, we're a juggernaut!

In the second quarter, we give up some big plays (passes of 30 and 22 yards) that contribute to Army's first touchdown drive. Still okay, as we hold onto a 10 point lead with 5 minutes left in the half. Our next drive starts from our own 34 yard line. We move the ball to Army's 38 and face a 4th and 3. We decide to go for it, and Hunter Clark throws it right into the hands of an Army defender. 70 untouched yards later, the lead is cut to 3. And that's where it stands at the half.

We need to get better with the lead...we can't let people back in the game like this.

Wyoming 17, Army 14 - Halftime

Army starts the second half at their own 31 and cant muster anything. Unfortunately, neither can we, and we punt the ball right back. This continues until a little more than halfway through the 3rd, when we put together a small drive -- Floyd Fassero makes it worthwhile by coming through on a 45 yard FG attempt. That pleases me very much, as Floyd would have never hit from the distance a year ago. Unfortunately, Army gets a good return on the kickoff, and they start from their own 47 yard line. Again, big plays cost us - completions of 31 and 22 yards equals a touchdown, and Army takes their first lead of the game, 21-20 with 2:49 left in the 3rd quarter. Sigh.

Well...I urge the team on...and tell them not to give up. They respond with a nifty 3 and out. Army starts from their own 26 yard line and quickly starts putting something together. They move the ball to our 22 yard line, where their drive stalls. Fortunately for us, their kicker misses a 39 yard FG attempt. We're back in business with 12:11 left.

We start at our 22 and s-l-o-w-l-y move the ball to the Army 49. On 3rd and 4, Jack Easterling gets the call and motors through a monster hole provided by senior Winfred Shelton. With the aid of some fancy footwork, he scores on a 49 yard TD run! We fail on the 2 point attempt, but still lead, 26-21 with 8:21 left.

Army can't muster much of anything. On a 2nd and 19 from their own 43 with 1:45 left, our defense comes up big, forcing a fumble on a sack. We get an insurance FG out of the deal, and win our season opener, 29-21!

Wyoming 29, Army 21 - Final

In a shocker, Jack Easterling wins a Cowboy hat gaining 127 yards on 18 carries with 2 TDs. Dexter Lavigne gets 88 yards of his own on 17 carries (and one TD), but is easily overshadowed. Who is this guy?! Hunter Clark is a consistent 13-21 for 168 yards, with an interception.

We outgain Army, 419 to 293. Look Mom, an offense! Defensively, Randy Tant led us with 1.5 of our 4 sacks. Freshman Dennis Harness had 4 tackles, 2 assists and also defended 2 passes in his first game. Believe it or not, but those 2 passes defended ties our school single-game record. :lol

Next Week: at Southern Mississippi 0-1 (0-0)

FWIW: Miami, FL, defeats Kent State, 83-0. Yikes!

From the Trainer
WR Joseph Bost - probable - 1 week - deep thigh bruise

Last edited by CraigSca : 07-20-2003 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:10 PM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Week 2 - Recruiting

Recruiting

Our focus this year is on a running back, defensive line, safeties, WR, general OL upgrades, CB, P...pretty much everything .

Rejections
None

Letters of Intent
None

Comments

I go all out, inviting the people who I think can put us over the top. It's a risky strategy, but the folks in Laramie tolerate it, because the they know I can bring a winner here. At least, that's what my cat tells me.

Top Recruits

WR Ben Bruce, Holyoke, Co

These are all top 200 recruits, none of which we have any business in retaining. The first two are Top 100s - so...someone is sure to snap them up, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately, our big need is on the defensive line, so we put in a couple feelers for Top 1000 guys in Washington and North Dakota.

Last edited by CraigSca : 07-24-2003 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:24 PM   #10
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Re: Week 1 - at Army

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigSca
FWIW: Miami, FL, defeats Kent State, 83-0. Yikes!

Miami is a force again.

Good job on the reports on Wyoming.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:38 PM   #11
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Wyoming at Southern Mississippi (-3)
Wyoming 1-0 (0-0), #26!!! Man, are they WAY off
Southern Mississippi 0-1 (0-0), #99

77 degrees, sunny

No previous meetings

The buzz all week centered on Jack Easterling. The relative unknown shared starting duties with returning hotshot Dexter Lavignne and ended up stealing the show with the 4th highest rushing yards total in team history. The kids on campus wondered if he was a one-trick pony, a one-hit wonder, a one...good game and the rest not so good games kind of guy. So the tension mounted, and Wyoming headed to Mississippi...

Attendance: 20,000

S. Mississippi takes an early 7 to 0 lead midway through the 1st quarter capitalizing on a Dexter Lavigne fumble on S. Mississippi's 41 yard line. Southern Mississippi adds a field goal early in the 2nd, and we find ourselves down 10-0. :sigh:

We start the next drive on our 20 after a touchback. Easterling, Lavigne and Clark's passing share the duties on an 80 yard drive that ends when Easterling takes a pitch around the right side for a 15 yard TD run. Lead is cut, 10-7 with 6:53 left in the half.

S. Mississippi takes the ensuing drive deep into Wyoming territory when Dennis Harness (wahoo!) comes up big with an interception on the 5 yard line. Drive ended

A 44 yard FG attempt by Fassero is missed at the end of the 2nd quarter.

S. Mississippi 10, Wyoming 7 - Halftime

We start the ball in the 2nd half, and are unable to do anything. S. Mississippi then takes the ball from their own 29, and they move the ball 71 yards - the big play being a 30 yard TD run - and extend their lead to 17-7 with 8:42 left in the 3rd.

We move the ball into their territory 3 more times - 2 drives are stalled, 1 more ends in an interception. Unfortunately, that's all we can do, and we end with a 17-7, loss

S. Mississippi 17, Wyoming 7 - Final

Overall, I was proud of our defense, limiting S. Mississippi to 17 points. We gained 236 yards on the ground, and were generally able to move the ball but coughed up the ball 3 times to their 2. Again, we had 10 penalties or more (someone remind me to practice next year ) but that didn't lose it for us. Easterling gained 99 yards on 12 carries, and Dexter Lavigne gained 103 yards on 11. We have quite a tag team going here Hunter Clark was a dismal 12-23 for 97 yards and two interceptions. My coaching stiff continually wants me to start Isaac Cunningham, but I just have horrible memories of him from last year.

On the defensive side... Dennis Harness had 7 tackles, 2 assists and an interception. This true freshman is going to be a monster ! Roman Henry had a quite a game for himself as well out of the linebacking spot (11 tackles, 4 assists, 1 interception).

Next Week: Kansas 0-2 (0-0)

FWIW: Miami had off.

From the Trainer
T Quinn Carlson - probable - 1 week - bruised shoulder
DE Tim Maloney - probably - 4 weeks - bruised rib cage
Old 07-24-2003, 09:45 PM   #12
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Week 3 - Recruiting

Recruiting

Rejections
None

Letters of Intent
None

Comments

I am scared to death that I am seriously overstepping my bounds and may put as back a year by reaching too far in my recruiting. I then decide to continue to speak to the guys I've already met, but also extend invitation to players that are more in line with where Wyoming stands now.

Top Recruits

WR Ben Bruce, Holyoke, Co

Last edited by CraigSca : 07-24-2003 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:19 PM   #13
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Week 4 - vs. Kansas

Kansas at Wyoming (-3)
Kansas 0-2 (0-0), #109
Wyoming 1-1 (0-0), #72

63 degrees, sunny

Previous Meetings: Wyoming leads the series, 1-0

Last meeting: 2004
Kansas 14
Wyoming 17

After the uninspiring loss to Southern Mississippi, it was time to right the ship. Kansas seems like the team to do it, as they come in to the game struggling. They can't really run or pass, and their rushing defense is awful at #123 in the country. Hopefully Easterling and Lavigne can fatten up their statistics in the push for the Heisman .

Attendance: 24,400

We win the toss, elect to receive, and Xavier Schultz returns the opening kick 36 yards to our own 49 yard line. We start the game with a 3 yard gain on an option play, then surprise Kansas with 2 straight passes for gains of 9 and 12 yards. 1st and 10 from their 27, and Jack Easterling fumbles the ball on the ensuing play. Drive ended . Kansas takes over on their 24 and get a huge 20 yard run around the left end for a first down. The next play they run a reverse for an 11 yard gain. Our boys are now confused and not sure what to expect, and give up a 33 yard run on the option 2 plays later, Kansas takes it in for the touchdown and a 7-0 lead.

Kansas 7, Wyoming 0, 1st Quarter

Another kickoff, another good return, this time 35 yards by Joseph Bost. Despite the good field position, we can't muster anything and need to punt. Kansas can't do anything either, and we get the ball back at our own 16. Jack Easterling runs around the right side for 18 yards. Hunter Clark then finds Joseph Bost open for a 28 yard gain, and we're in Kansas territory again. Our ground attack moves the ball slowly, and we're faced with a 4th and 3 at the Kansas 31. We decide to give it to Dexter Lavigne, and he is stopped one yard short. Another drive ends. :frown: Kansas answers with a 3 and out, and we start at our 43 yard line to start the 2nd quarter. We get absolutely stuffed, and have to punt the ball back to Kansas, who start on their 31. After an Illegal Use of the Hands penalty against Kansas, Dennis Harness comes up big on the next play (God, I love this kid!) with an interception at our 47 yardline. 1st and 10, Cowboys! We squander the field position with yet another 3 and out . We shut Kansas down and get the ball back at our own 40 with 9:16 left in the half. A couple runs by Lavigne net us 10 yards and Hunter Clark follows with an 18 yard pass play to give us the ball at the Kansas 32. Lavigne carries the ball the next 3 times, giving us 11 yards - unfortunately, some jackass decided to pull an unsportsmanlike conduct and we're stuck with a 4th and 14 at the 36. We decide to go for it, and Clark finds Lavigne open, but only for 10 yards. Yet another possession lost on downs. Kansas has the ball with 5:52 left, and our defense is starting to feel deflated after seeing our offense get close and then falter. The first play of the Kansas drive is another reverse, and our defense overpursues to the tune of a 26 yard gain. 5 plays and 46 yards later, Kansas has it 1st and Goal at our 2. Our defense comes up big on the first play, dropping Kansas for a 2 yard loss. However, the next play we go out with a whimper and allow a 4 yard option run for Kansas' 2nd touchdown of the game. This is how the half ends.

Kansas 14, Wyoming 0

The halftime speech I lay the guilt trip on them. We know we're better, but it's obvious you guys don't care, you're not focused, etc., etc. Let's see how they respond.

Kansas begins the 2nd half on their 38 and get the ball to our 38 before imploding under a sea of penalties. Just as well. Starting from our 40, Hunter Clark finds Drew Whitcomb open for 24 yard pass play down to the Kansas 36. Lavigne follows up with a 7 yard gain on first down. We've been here before, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. On 2nd a 3, we call Lavigne's name again and he gets us 2 yards closer to a first down. 3rd and 1. George Hoover gets the call and is immediately brought down for a 2 yard loss. Jebus. 4th and 3 at the Kansas 29. To mix it up, our offensive coordinator calls a draw, and Hunter Clark falls under a sea of Kansas uniforms for another 2 yard loss, and another possession lost on downs. Fortunately, our defense holds on the next drive, and due to a shanked punt, we begin our next drive at the Kansas 49 with 3:43 left in the 3rd quarter. On 1st and 10, Hunter Clark calls an audible and runs off the left tackle himself for a 19 yard gain Lavigne's stopped for a yard, but we give it right back to him on the next play and he comes through with a 15 yard gain on an option. Feeling lucky, we call the same exact play again but to the opposite side, and pick up 9 more yards to the Kansas five. Next play we call Dexter Lavigne to run the trap, and he takes it in for the 5 yard TD run.

Kansas 14, Wyoming 7 - 3rd Quarter

The fourth quarter begins with our defense stopping Kansas cold. They're forced to punt, and we are again blessed with good field position, starting at our 40. Lavigne begins the drive with a 5 yard gain. Feeling a little winded, we decide to forego Lavigne on the next play and hand it to Easterling who breaks it for a 23 yard run down to the Kansas 32. On a big 3rd and 9 from the 31, we're forced to pass. Hunter Clark fades back and finds Bost open over the middle for an 18 yard gain and keeps the drive alive! Lavigne runs up the middle for 2 on 1st and 10. On 2nd and 8 from the 11, we call Dexter's name again, and he responds with his 2nd TD run of the day!

Kansas 14, Wyoming 14 - 9:38 left, 4th Quarter

Our defense comes up huge again, and forces Kansas into a 3 and out. A mediocre punt gives us field position on our own 48 with 8:13 left. Unfortunately, a holding penalty "holds" us back, and we're forced to punt the ball right back. In the next 5:34, Kansas moves the ball downfield to our 20 yard line. With 1:28 left, their placekicker lines up for a 37 yard field goal and......

MISSES, wide-right! A loud roar from the 24,400 faithful can be heard all the way to the Grand Tetons.

On our next drive, we move the ball to the Kansas 43 with 8 seconds left. Hunter Clark fades back to pass, is sacked and coughs up the football. Kansas' Phillips recovers and runs the ball back 11 yards to 40 as time expires.

OVERTIME!

Kansas wins the toss and elects to start on defense. So...we're forced to put up points first. Obviously feeling the jitters, our offensive line completely falls apart and is called for holding twice in the next 3 plays, forcing us into a 4th and 20 at the Kansas 35. A valiant pass from Clark is completed, but falls 8 yards short of the first down.

Kansas gets the ball and only needs a field goal to win it. Our defense feels the pressure to come up with a big play, and instead gives up a 13 yard run. 3 plays later it's 4th and 5 from our 7. Again the Kansas placekicker lines up for the game-winning FG. The kicker connects as all 24,400 Cowboys will the ball to head right, just as it did the first time....

No such luck. 24 yard FG succeeded.

Kansas 17, Wyoming 14, Final - OT

This was awful. We outgained them 370 to 297 and I feel like we pretty much dominated the game until we got the ball in their territory. Lavigne gained 92 yds on 22 carries and 2 TDs. Easterling carried the ball only 8 times, but still managed to gain 60 yards. Hunter Clark played well, connecting on 13 of 20 attempts for 186 yards. Roman Henry had 9 tackles and 2 assists, and the senior Andre Collins picked up 1.5 sacks giving him 9.5 for his career.

Next Week: We have off.

FWIW: Miami defeated Washington, 50-10.

From the Trainer
Apparently we had a little injury in practice
QB Hunter Clark - doubtful - 8 weeks - torn thumb
LB Randy Barfield - probable - 4 weeks - concussion
DE Tim Maloney - probable - 3 weeks - bruised ribs
Old 09-21-2003, 10:02 PM   #14
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Week 5 - Recruiting

Week 5 - Recruiting

Recruiting

Rejections
None

Letters of Intent
None

Comments

We take a trip to Oregon to try to fill out our recruiting class with a few less "wishful thinkings" and a few more "in the same hemisphere" recruits.

Top Recruits

G Ricky Carpenter, West Valley City, Utah (ours is the only offer so far )
G Johnathan Daluiso, Colorado Springs, Co (visiting Colorado )
S Jamie Muchnick, Center, Co (visiting two other schools )
WR Ben Bruce, Holyoke, Co (same as Jamie....sigh)

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-21-2003 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:48 PM   #15
CraigSca
Pro Starter

vs. Colorado State

Colorado State (-2) at Wyoming
Colorado State 2-1 (0-0), #53
Wyoming 1-2 (0-0), #87

60 degrees, sunny

Previous Meeting: Colorado State leads the series, 1-0

Last Meeting: 2003
Colorado State 35
Wyoming 11

The folks in Laramie were a little distraught. Not only did we lose at home 2 weeks ago to a poor Kansas team, but we also lost Hunter Clark for 9 weeks due to a torn thumb in practice. Or so it seemed. Apparently Hunter, tough guy that he is, has decided to stick it out and play with his injury. Hunter's hurt, but I'd still rather play him than Larry Cunningham, who has officially entered Coach Scarborough's doghouse. Let's just hope Hunter's thumb isn't torn off completely against Colorado State.

Colorado State enters the game averaging 35.3 points per game and is giving up 2.53 yards per carry on defense. This doesn't bode well for us. I sense a repeat of last year. BTW, Lavigne and Easterling enter the game with 283 and 286 rushing yards, respectively. We have quite the tandem going here, and may have two 1000 yard rushers if they continue at this pace.

Attendance: 24,800

Right before game time, Hunter Clark tells me he won't be able to play. I bite my lip and decide to start Larry Cunningham, despite my gut feeling saying this is a huge mistake.

Colorado State wins the toss and they elect to receive. We start with a 3 and out, and our offense gets the chance to show that they...don't stink as much as previously thought . Unfortunately, we return with a 3 and out of our own and give the ball right back. 3 plays later, Colorado State scores on a 62 yard TD pass and take a 7-0 lead. Another 3 and out for us, and the rout is on .

Or is it? As I'm paying the valet to retrieve my car so I can beat the traffic home, Colorado State throws the ball on a 3rd and 6 from their own 19 and R.J. Blair comes up with an interception, dragging 8 Rams with him over the goal line. Just like that, a tie game...and we're in business. I tell the valet to re-park my car.

No more scoring until the 2nd quarter, when we begin a 61 yard drive, that culminates in a Dexter Lavigne 13 yard TD run. The ensuing kickoff is returned 99 yards for a TD, and we remain tied, this time at 14-14.

Later in the quarter Cunningham connects with Bost on a 29 yarder, and we retake the lead, 21-14. Go figure

With a minute left in the half, we get an another interception and start on the Colorado State 48. A few plays later, it seems we're intent to run out the clock. With 21 secs left at the Colorado State 37, we hand off to Dexter Lavigne who catches the Ram defense napping. 37 yards later, Dexter has his 2nd TD of the day, and we take a big lead going into halftime.

Wyoming 28, Colorado State 14

At halftime, I tell my boys how proud I am of them. I then begin to cry hysterically, as I have forgotten to take my medication....again.

We start the 3rd quarter with possession at our own 17. Our offensive coordinator calls an absolutely brilliant mix of runs and passes that culminate in 83 yard, 7 minute and 9 second touchdown drive. Larry Cunningham again does the honors by connecting with Drew Whitcomb on a 23 yard TD pass.

Wyoming 35, Colorado State 14, 7:51 left, 3rd quarter

Later in the 3rd, Colorado State would score their own TD, to cut our lead to 14.

We would add a FG late in the 3rd, and then Dexter Lavigne scored his 3rd TD late in the 4th to give us a 45-21 lead, which is the way it ended. wahoo!

Wyoming 45, Colorado State 21, Final

We ended up running ALL OVER them....300 yards on 62 carries. We dominated time of possession, accruing almost 40 mins (39:35).

Individual performances are as follows:

Dexter Lavigne, 25 carries, 174 yards, 3 TDs (player of the game)
Jack Easterling, 19 carries, 71 yards
Larry Cunningham, 14-26, 168 Yds, 2 TD, 0 Int
Blake Marlotti, 2 sacks
Tim Maloney, 1 sack
Dennis Harness, 1 interception (3rd on the year for the freshman)

Next Week: Utah State, 0-2

FWIW: Miami beat Rutgers, 63-7.

From the Trainer
QB Hunter Clark - questionable - 7 weeks - torn thumb
DE Tim Maloney - probable - 1 week - bruised rib cage
LB Randy Barfield - probable - 2 weeks - concussion
G Ike Nevarez - out - 11 weeks - broken wrist
DE Tyrell Collins - out - 46 weeks - ACL

This will end both Ike's and Tyrell's careers with us, and hurts us immensely. Both started every game I coached. Ike had a block percentage of 37.2, and Tyrell had 10 sacks in 16 starts. These guys will be hard to replace...I wish them well in the future and promise to send them Christmas cards every year.

Code:
2004 Season Standings, Mountain West School W L T Pct PF PA W L T Pct PF PA Streak San Diego State 3 1 0 .750 120 85 1 0 0 1.000 24 17 Won 2 Brigham Young 2 1 0 .666 64 91 1 0 0 1.000 22 19 Won 1 *Wyoming 2 2 0 .500 95 76 1 0 0 1.000 45 21 Won 1 Utah 2 2 0 .500 110 110 1 0 0 1.000 45 14 Won 1 Air Force 3 1 0 .750 123 87 0 1 0 .000 14 45 Lost 1 New Mexico 2 2 0 .500 118 73 0 1 0 .000 17 24 Lost 1 Colorado State 2 2 0 .500 128 101 0 1 0 .000 21 45 Lost 1 Nevada-Las Vegas 1 2 0 .333 79 108 0 1 0 .000 19 22 Lost 1

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-21-2003 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:57 PM   #16
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Recruiting

Week 6 - Recruiting

Recruiting

Rejections
TE Deron Knowles, to Washington
WR Ben Bruce, to Colorado (one of our top recruits)
S Tyrus Shepard, to Washington State
S Geoff Ferguson, to Oklahoma (another top recruit)

Letters of Intent
None

Comments

4 rejections our first week. We decide to refocus on "realistic" recruits.

Top Recruits

G Ricky Carpenter, West Valley City, Utah (ours WAS the only offer. Now he's visiting Ohio State and Purdue. Welcome to bride's maid world, Wyoming )
G Johnathan Daluiso, Colorado Springs, Co (still visiting Colorado)
S Jamie Muchnick, Center, Co (visiting THREE other schools)
RB Horace Lively, visiting Washington

So far, no one has decided to visit us .

AP Top 5

1. Georgia (3-0), vs. #24 Arkansas
2. USC (3-0), at Washington State
3. Miami, Fl. (4-0), at Troy State
4. Auburn (3-0), at Florida
5. Nebraska (4-0), at Kansas

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-21-2003 at 11:06 PM.