Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2003, 09:54 AM   #1
Urlacher
n00b

FOF4 - CD ONLY?

I know that FOF2 was download and was EA's (as I had them both) but I'm really getting a FB buzz and it seems that FOF4 is CD only - is this correct?

Urlacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
vtbub
College Starter

correct

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #3
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

at of now, yes. In a few weeks (months ?) Jim said he would make FOF4 available for download.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
rjolley
College Starter

That's funny, I got this when I asked about a downloadable FOF4:

Thanks for your interest. No, there are no plans to make FOF4
downloadable.
However, it's likely that FOF4 is the last CD version, as downloadble
games
are becoming more the norm.

----------------------------------
Ethan Potter
Customer Service
Solecismic Software
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:58 AM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

Yay!!!! Wait...I mean....Boo!!!!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:42 PM   #6
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Who is this Ethan person and what is his relationship with large squid?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 03:54 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

"No, there are no plans to make FOF4 downloadable. However, it's likely that FOF4 is the last CD version, as downloadble games are becoming more the norm."

Hmm, maybe I'm reading into this too much, but if I remember correctly, the reason Jim put TCY out for download was because he ran out of the batch of CD's he made for the game. So basically it was either order a bunch more or make the game downloadable.

I wonder if this means FOF4 failed to come close to selling out of the original batch of CDs.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:26 AM   #8
thetrilogy
Mascot

I'll wait or I won't buy

I'm not buying the CD version. It's stupid.

Line someone's pockets with the amount that shipping goes for and another CD case I don't need taking up my space.

I asked for this a long time ago, and if they don't release a download version, I won't get it.

Maybe that's why there are tons of the CD's still laying around ol' Solecismic...
thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:35 AM   #9
sturmie
Mascot

Re: I'll wait or I won't buy

Quote:
Originally posted by thetrilogy
I'm not buying the CD version. It's stupid.
huh? what's stupid is buying a downloadable game and NOT being able to play it a few years later - ie. FOF2, FOF2001...the ONLY reason i'm able to fire up FOF2001 now is b/c of a crack i found...yeah, i said it - i've had to resort to a crack to play a game I PURCHASED!

i'll always take a CD over download only. actually, the only reason i haven't picked up OOTP5 is b/c of that eLicensing only crap...companies should at least give their customers a choice.

sturmie

*BEGIN eLicensing debate...again*

Last edited by sturmie : 07-25-2003 at 09:42 AM.
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:32 AM   #10
rwprice
n00b

Re: Re: I'll wait or I won't buy

Quote:
Originally posted by sturmie
huh? what's stupid is buying a downloadable game and NOT being able to play it a few years later - ie. FOF2, FOF2001...the ONLY reason i'm able to fire up FOF2001 now is b/c of a crack i found...yeah, i said it - i've had to resort to a crack to play a game I PURCHASED!

i'll always take a CD over download only. actually, the only reason i haven't picked up OOTP5 is b/c of that eLicensing only crap...companies should at least give their customers a choice.

sturmie

*BEGIN eLicensing debate...again*

I'll second that! The eLicense stuff is great for developers, but I hate the idea that I could lose a game I legally purchased because company providing the license goes out of business, or the developer no longer supports an old game, etc. Some people might think it's stupid to want to play a game that's 8-10 years old, but that should be my choice.

I may be paranoid, but I've been around computers long enough to know what can go wrong. Not being able to release a license when your computer goes south can result in the licensing company being unwilling to give you another one because they think you're trying to get free copies. No thanks!

Give me the safety and security of knowing that I have a physical backup copy of my game. And don't make the security features so burdensome that legitimate customers stay away.
rwprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:40 AM   #11
Bee
Pro Starter

I've had more CD's and disks go bad from originals than I've had downloaded games that I can no longer play because of e-license problems. I do agree though that if an e-license company goes out of business, there should be arrangements made to continue to provide service for older games.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:41 AM   #12
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

What Bee said.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:49 AM   #13
sturmie
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I do agree though that if an e-license company goes out of business, there should be arrangements made to continue to provide service for older games.
i would get on board w/ this as well, but there have been no precedents set for this...the only example we have is FOF2/FOF2001 and look what's happened there.

honestly, the whole Digital River experience ruined downable (only)/eLicensed games for me...u always remember ur first time.

sturmie
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote