Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2003, 08:00 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

OT - Just had to vent

Sorry, no real need to read. I just had to vent this somewhere as I am getting more and more pissed with every email.

What is the deal about internet leagues that eopple just can;t get that it's only a freaking game? Some of you know I run a couple online leagues. One is a baseball league and I have a relatively new owner who has suddenly brought in his 'friends' or people that point to him through some message boards. He's now had 2 questionsbale trades, big time questionable trades that I am not accepting (example: best pitcher in the league, who is only 22, and the team's entire draft for 3 average, at best, players). He always follows them up with immediate emails concernecd about the trades not going through, a usual sign of guilt.

Add that each trade email that I get from the other teams involved all look like they werre just forwarded to an email account and then sent to me.

I try to run a good clean league and have a great core group of solid and honest owners. There is no way that I can let someone with such a void in their life, that cheating to win at a free internet game makes them feel big, ruin what I am trying to build.

The problem is that it keeps getting so damn frustrating that it makes me want to say the hell with it at times.

Sorry for the venting, just had to get that off my shoulders. I feel much better now.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 08:05 PM   #2
Blackadar
Retired

Something you and I can agree on, Eagle.

I quit playing Links online because I've run into a number of folks who would rather quit than lose. I won't play NWN or DS online because of the cheaters. Same with UO. It's funny how gaming mags discount games that don't have Multiplayer, but it's never even considered with me. Too much hassle.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 08:09 PM   #3
Axxon
Pro Starter

Man, having to choose between commenting on two topics and actually getting some work done sucks.

I was going to say, Blackadar, knock it off but now you've already posted so the joke is ruined. At least the crazies are out in force tonight here in Greenville so work is keeping me amused.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:24 PM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Does the guy work for Dell?
Old 07-12-2003, 08:31 PM   #5
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

That's too bad Eaglefan. It seems that OOTP has been having some trouble with people ruining leagues for them as well. Best thing to do, is warn, then kick him out of the league. The one on-line game I play a lot is Americas Army. Unfortunatly, the cheating is getting very bad, and people like to exploit the bugs. So it's pretty much a one warning, then you're kicked policy. It's worked pretty well, some people call our bluff, and they are kicked. Hope you can get this sorted out.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:19 PM   #6
tucker342
Pro Starter

That's what frustrates me so much about playing in online leagues. What's the point of cheating?
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:50 PM   #7
Silver Owl
High School JV

Had the exact same problem in a basketball league. Someone had 3 teams and traded all of the best players onto 1 team.
The only thing the commissioner could do was ban the 3 teams from making anymore moves. The only positive was that I beat him in the championship round and that was his only loss after making the trades. He had the nerve to post messages asking why he couldn't make more moves.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:13 PM   #8
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I just spent some time catching up at the .400 online leagues forum and this issue makes me sick as well. Not only with Andy's stalker but the whole business with that mfitterer a-hole http://www.400softwarestudios.com/bo...5&pagenumber=1

Sometimes I really hate the internet.

Last edited by Anrhydeddu : 07-12-2003 at 10:14 PM.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:23 PM   #9
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Not only what Anrysdfakljlsfd pointed out, but here's a few more threads that might get your blodd moving.

The Beginnning of It

The asshole

Sad thing was this was the guy who ran the vNCAA for TDCB which I heard was abandoned by him.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:43 PM   #10
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

illini, your first link was what I meant to post but copied the wrong one. Thanks, that thread was the most sickening I've read since anything by HM. The second link was good too. Now I guess someone needs to link the Car Wash thread to make it complete. Now wonder Andy S. made a comment about what a week it had been. That was truly an understatement.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 11:15 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Eaglefan, I don't think I've ever been a part of any online league for any game that didn't have this sort of thing happen. And usually sooner rather than later.

I like the notion of multi-player to an extent, but I've never found a group that didn't have some "personality problems" that were worth putting up with over the long haul.
X amount of people are assholes regardless of the arena, online leagues draw at the very least their fair share.

In short, I feel your pain but I don't really have much in the way of solutions to offer. Hopefully venting at least helped some.

Jon
Old 07-12-2003, 11:49 PM   #12
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
I like the notion of multi-player to an extent, but I've never found a group that didn't have some "personality problems" that were worth putting up with over the long haul.
X amount of people are assholes regardless of the arena, online leagues draw at the very least their fair share.

We haven't had any real problems or conflicts in the JBL since HM was kicked and devaneyfan left. The same thing can be said for the RWBL. I've made some great friends because of those two leagues.

Online leagues can be a very rewarding experience if you have a group of owners who are actually friends.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:06 AM   #13
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I agree with Schmidty, but I guess I would have to since I'm involved in several leagues.

There is a great opportunity to get to know people and make friends with people that you never would have met in the outside world. Unfortunately there is the other part that sometimes is enough to make you want to just give up the idea all-together.

Once I get a good night's sleep on it, I'll be fine with the league and dealing out the warnings. This guy is hanging on a thread now. I've only had to veto 3 trades in the 3 seasons of the league, 2 were within the past few weeks and they were both his and he was the benefactor of both of them, quite lopsided.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:06 AM   #14
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
We haven't had any real problems or conflicts in the JBL since HM was kicked and devaneyfan left. The same thing can be said for the RWBL. I've made some great friends because of those two leagues.

Online leagues can be a very rewarding experience if you have a group of owners who are actually friends.

Well, that's because you're the asshole now.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:10 AM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
Well, that's because you're the asshole now.

Now?
Old 07-13-2003, 12:18 AM   #16
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Can't top my one friend, who I sometimes don't like to refer to as a friend. He is the type of guy who wants to go to Yahoo Spades and play over the phone. Anyways he tried to run a trade in our fantasy baseball league: Pujols & Randy Johnson for Kip Wells and Hee Soup Choi. He claimed that he was out so he was building for the future. After a few beers he admitted the other owner offered to split the pot. Suffice the say that league is in disarray. Is there really that much pride (or money) in fantasy leagues to warrent cheating like this? If somebody called me and offered me money to throw a league, I would ask them what their fucking problem was!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote