Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2003, 06:41 PM   #1
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Boxing Tonight!

A quality night of boxing on HBO.

Mayorga vs. Forrest II. In the first fight Forrest was whipped pretty bad for his only loss. Mayorga is always fun to watch as he throws every punch as hard as possible. Should see some quality prefight comments from Mayorga as well. He made some comment along the lines of "Forrest is in for the worst 6 minutes of his life". Great stuff! Should be fun seeing Larry Merchant interview Mayorga when he has a beer and lit cigarette in his hands.

Judah vs. "Chop Chop" Corley is the first fight. Both come in with one loss. Judah has a ton of talent and talks alot of trash. Both fighters have really been yapping the last several weeks. The winner is probably going to fight the winner of Mitchell/Tszyu.

I think Forrest defeats Mayorga(Decison) and Judah beats Corley(KO). Im terrible at picking winners for what its worth....

bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 07:19 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

"The winner is probably going to fight the winner of Mitchell/Tszyu."

When is the Mitchell/Tszyo fight?

My predicts are Mayorga by KO and Judah by KO. I'm not too good at picking winners either.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 08:29 PM   #3
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Forrest by TKO and Judah by KO
Old 07-12-2003, 08:34 PM   #4
Blackadar
Retired

"What's your prediction for the fight?"

"Prediction"

"Yes, prediction"

"Paaaain"

- Courtesy of Stu Mayhem and Clubber Lang
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:38 PM   #5
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

I know nothing about the undercard fighters.

Forrest by unanimous decision.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:00 PM   #6
bbor
Pro Starter

Corley gets knocked down in the 3rd with a left hook.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:20 PM   #7
bbor
Pro Starter

What a boring ass fight

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:37 PM   #8
bbor
Pro Starter

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 round split decision........for Judah...unreal that someone saw this fight Corley's way.

Old 07-12-2003, 10:51 PM   #9
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure how that was a spoiler. Are people watching this on delay somewhere? As far as the match goes, I about fell out of my chair when I heard this was a split decision. And the desenting judge didn't even have the match close!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 11:00 PM   #10
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Dola. What was the deal with the taunting by Jonah in about the 8th round? I haven't seen anything that ridicolous in a long time. Plus, that one analyst actually enjoyed the taunting! There are some people that are going to enjoy anything I guess.

EDIT: This is my first dola post ever. I never felt like I had enough clout to use the term dola when I posted twice in a row. This is my test to see if I make it to the next level.

Last edited by panerd : 07-12-2003 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:08 PM   #11
bbor
Pro Starter

He thinks he is Roy Jones jr

Old 07-12-2003, 11:12 PM   #12
bbor
Pro Starter

Mayorga is freakin CRAZY

He just stood there with his hands down and told Forrest to hit him....TWICE!!

Old 07-12-2003, 11:46 PM   #13
bbor
Pro Starter

Mayorga wins a 12 round decision.....bah

Old 07-12-2003, 11:57 PM   #14
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

How about the reference by the main announcer comparing the boxer's big swings to "Dave Kingman swings"? Does this reference not date this boxing announcer to show that he hasn't followed baseball in 30+ years? Seriously, it's not like I expected him to say Pujols or Bonds. And even though I would hope for McGwire or Sosa, I don't even care if he doesn't follow then But then to not say Belle, or Juan Gone, or Canseco, or Strawberry, or even Schmidt or Reggie. But to use a Dave Kingman analogy just shows you have not been outside Las Vegas or Atlantic City since you were 12.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:02 AM   #15
bbor
Pro Starter

LMAO!!

Old 07-13-2003, 12:05 AM   #16
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Kingman was just used because he is generally considered to be the true home-run hitter. I thought it was a great analogy. It showed that Mayorga was going for broke, and just swinging for the fences. None of the players you listed did that.

Also, regarding the fight, I called it a split decision. I definitely thought the last round should have gone to Forrest. Other than that, it went Round 1 to Forrest, 2-6 to Mayorga, 7-10 to Forrest, 11 to Mayorga, and of course 12 back to Forrest.

That still would have given Mayorga the title, but it would have been how I scored it. Regardless, was nice to watch an interesting fight with minimal controversy.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:05 AM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by panerd
How about the reference by the main announcer comparing the boxer's big swings to "Dave Kingman swings"? Does this reference not date this boxing announcer to show that he hasn't followed baseball in 30+ years? Seriously, it's not like I expected him to say Pujols or Bonds. And even though I would hope for McGwire or Sosa, I don't even care if he doesn't follow then But then to not say Belle, or Juan Gone, or Canseco, or Strawberry, or even Schmidt or Reggie. But to use a Dave Kingman analogy just shows you have not been outside Las Vegas or Atlantic City since you were 12.

Rob Deer....

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:09 AM   #18
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by RPI-Fan
Kingman was just used because he is generally considered to be the true home-run hitter. I thought it was a great analogy. It showed that Mayorga was going for broke, and just swinging for the fences. None of the players you listed did that.

Also, regarding the fight, I called it a split decision. I definitely thought the last round should have gone to Forrest. Other than that, it went Round 1 to Forrest, 2-6 to Mayorga, 7-10 to Forrest, 11 to Mayorga, and of course 12 back to Forrest.

That still would have given Mayorga the title, but it would have been how I scored it. Regardless, was nice to watch an interesting fight with minimal controversy.

Sorry, but I have to argue that he just didn't know any better. I have a friend like him who rents the Pink Panther movies and thinks the Chevy Chase years were the hayday of Saturday Night Live. I am aware of who Dave Kingman is, but the analogy was just out of pure baseball ingornance.

Later in the fight... "He is just making serious contact on every punch that he throws. He reminds me of Honus Wagner puching the Pirates to the world series"
Old 07-13-2003, 12:10 AM   #19
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

r

Yea', I just totally disagree with you there. Kingman was one-of-a-kind sport, those other guys aren't. Mayorga is one-of-a-kind in his sport.

Whatever.

~rpi-fan
Old 07-13-2003, 01:42 AM   #20
thesloppy
Pro Starter

As a boxing fan, you have to love Mayorga, I'm not sure he even knows what the word 'jab' means. Forrest had to be bewildered, as he landed several straight shots to Mayorga's head, some even came with an invitation, and he didn't appear phased at any point throughout the fight. I would love it if Tzyu and Mayorga got together in the future, as they both pack some major heat for their weight class.

With the number of power headshots that were landed in the headliner, I was really surprised that nobody tasted canvas (without a push). It seemed that Mayorga backed off of Vernon the couple of times he had him in real trouble, but Mayorga's 'backing off' seems to consist of only throwing three haymakers a second.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 05:52 AM   #21
Blackadar
Retired

The first fight put me to sleep...zzzzzzzzzzz
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:01 AM   #22
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Mitchell/Tszyo was supposed to be in February. Apparently that was scraped for Leija/Tszyo. Larry Merchant was saying how it will be tough to make a rematch of Judah/Tszyo because of a "number" of problems. I think he meant 2. Don King is #1 and #2 is that Judah is an HBO fighter and Tszyo is a Showtime fighter.

"My goal is to tell HBO to please make a fight with Oscar De La Hoya. That's what I really want. I will give HBO one month to make that fight, and if he doesn't take it, then I would like HBO to give me his home address -- and apologies to all the ladies present -- I will go there and present him a set of balls."

That quote is from Mayorga. Did that make it on the end of the telecast? I muted it after a couple minutes of the last decison.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:17 AM   #23
sabotai
General Manager

THe big mistake that Forrest made was not going to the body. He always kept going to the head. It's painfully obvious that head shots do not hurt Mayorga. A couple of times Forrest did hit him to the body, and it stunned and backed off Mayorga. He should have kept doing that.

As far as the first fight. If I wanted to see a sparring session, I would have checked out their training. Geez what a bore.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote