Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2003, 01:33 PM   #1
Bee
Pro Starter

Pirates of the Caribbean

I picked it up the other day and loaded it up. I've only played about 2 hours because of other things keeping me occupied, but it looks like it might be pretty decent. Anyone else pick it up yet?

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:45 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I have it, but I've only played it for about 45 minutes so far. Looking forward to putting more time into it.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:22 PM   #3
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Please, a review? I am curious as to the gameplay since I felt that SD1 was a disaster in that regards.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:48 AM   #4
Bee
Pro Starter

I still haven't played enough to give anything in detail. At this point I'd say the controls are as bad as any game I've played. The interface is also very awkward. You would think they could have copied the basic FPS format for controlling your character in town.
One example of the bad interface is when you go to save or load a game. The mouse cursor shows up hovering over the delete button...and yes it's easy to not be paying attention. The dialog box asking if you want to delete looks a lot like the one asking if you want to save over a game.
The graphics on the otherhand are very good. Sailing through a storm near a port was loads of fun. I also was happy to see when I moored the ship and entered the port there was still a storm happening as I walked around.
There really needed to be a map when walking around (if there is one I haven't been able to bring it up). I've gotten lost several times. You can use "fast travel" to go to specific locations (store, port, shipyard, etc), but if you are tying to find a loan shark or cave or something like that you're on your own (even if you've been there before).
The battles at sea are a little frustrating to me early on (mostly because of the controls). The computer controlled ships don't seem to fight that well strategically, but I've only had limited exposure to these battles so my opinion may change once I encounter "better" captains.
The swordfights are also a little awkward because of the controls IMO. Again, not much intelligence from the computer opponents.
I haven't done much trading yet, so I can't really comment on that aspect of the game. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them if I can.

Last edited by Bee : 07-14-2003 at 06:50 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote