Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I MUST KNOW!

Who told Applebee's and TGI Friday's that putting cheese on top of a steak was a good idea? Nothing says 'Sysco Horse Meat' like a steak that has to be drenched in BBQ sauce and topped with monterey jack.

Likewise, who was the douchebag who gave the go-ahead to 'gourmet salads' at fast food joints? Yeah, we're Jack In The Box, we can't make a fucking taco but you should reallly try our delicious Mandarin Possum Salad. Welcome to Taco Bell, would you like to try HOT BARFY LETTUCE IN A BURRITO? MMMMMMMM!

thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

Sounds like you should take up a course in gourmet cooking and start preparing your own meals there, sport.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:21 PM   #3
TLK
Pro Starter

Is it only me, or does anyone else look forward to Franklinnoble's posts?
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:22 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

I tried the Chicken Ceasar Stuffed Grilled Burrito at Taco Bell last night. I wasn't very impressed.

Time to go back to the usual bean burritos with no onions and lots of fire sauce, I guess...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:23 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Re: I MUST KNOW!

Quote:
Originally posted by thesloppy
Who the hell cares what I think?

good question.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:24 PM   #6
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TheLionKing
Is it only me, or does anyone else look forward to Franklinnoble's posts?

It's only you.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:30 PM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

It does suck when you order something that sounds alright, but then they put shitaake mushroom paste or turkey nad dressing on it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:31 PM   #8
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
It does suck when you order something that sounds alright, but then they put shitaake mushroom paste or turkey nad dressing on it.

I'd NEVER EVER eat anything with turkey nad dressing. YIkes!!!

That's for bolder folks than me.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:32 PM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Who told Applebee's and TGI Friday's that putting cheese on top of a steak was a good idea? Nothing says 'Sysco Horse Meat' like a steak that has to be drenched in BBQ sauce and topped with monterey jack.

Likewise, who was the douchebag who gave the go-ahead to 'gourmet salads' at fast food joints? Yeah, we're Jack In The Box, we can't make a fucking taco but you should reallly try our delicious Mandarin Possum Salad. Welcome to Taco Bell, would you like to try HOT BARFY LETTUCE IN A BURRITO? MMMMMMMM!

I don't know about the first one, but the second one is for parents. I have to go to McDonalds, the last thing I want is to eat their crappy hamburgers, The salad is actually not too bad. Otherwise, I would resist going at all costs if I had to choose from their regular menu. So from that standpoint, it's a good idea on their part.

Since this is the fast food/restaurant bitch thread, here's one that I can't seem to figure out:

I've seen a number of new Hardee's commercials for their Angus Beef hamburgers. The way they are marketing themselves, though, makes no sense to me. They essentially admit that they suck, but now the new hamburgers are a reason to come back. I think the slogan is something like, "It's how the last place you would go for a burger has suddenly become the first place you'd go."

What kind of marketing is that?! Fictional testimonials from people who say Hardee's sucks, but hey, I enjooy the new hamburger. What about the rest of your menu? Does it still suck?

I have to scratch my head about that one...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:33 PM   #10
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Who the hell cares what I think?

Ouch. I guess pa was right all along.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-10-2003 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:34 PM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Ugh, glad we don't have Hardee's here in Texas...

Old 07-10-2003, 04:36 PM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
It's only you.

Predictable, John... but it had me laughing nonetheless.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:38 PM   #13
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Re: Re: I MUST KNOW!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup

I've seen a number of new Hardee's commercials for their Angus Beef hamburgers. The way they are marketing themselves, though, makes no sense to me. They essentially admit that they suck, but now the new hamburgers are a reason to come back. I think the slogan is something like, "It's how the last place you would go for a burger has suddenly become the first place you'd go."

What kind of marketing is that?! Fictional testimonials from people who say Hardee's sucks, but hey, I enjooy the new hamburger. What about the rest of your menu? Does it still suck?

Anyone remember a similar marketing campaign from United a couple years ago. I can't quite remember what their tag line was, but it was along the lines of "Now, we're trying!" or "Sorry for the previous sucking.". Not good for a fast-food place, utterly terrifying from an airline.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:41 PM   #14
TLK
Pro Starter

Hardee's is getting worse, instead of better. The Monster Burger was the best fast food burger I have ever eaten, and with the new menu.... gone
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:48 PM   #15
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I used to love hardees burgers, but now we has this asshat place called carls jr' here. Who the hell is carl jr. and why does he make fast food?

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:49 PM   #16
Franklinnoble
Banned

Anybody here remember the Roy Rogers fast food restaurants?
Old 07-10-2003, 05:00 PM   #17
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Airhog
I used to love hardees burgers, but now we has this asshat place called carls jr' here. Who the hell is carl jr. and why does he make fast food?

I believe Carl's Jr. is just the west coast equivalent of Hardee's, although I've been told there are diffferences in menus.

While we're on fast-food nostalgia, what about Hot and Now? There claim to fame was the cheapest crappiest burger you could make, and they only had one specialty burger: the Double Olive Burger, combining the great tastes of black AND green olives piled high on low-grade beef.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:26 PM   #18
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
It's only you.
Not true. I'm always looking to let people know that I actually do something to earn my keep around here. With Horns, happy and mrskippy gone, franklin is probably near the top of the "Most Likely To Get Himself Put In The Penalty Box At Any Given Moment" list.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-10-2003 at 05:28 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:28 PM   #19
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Not true. I'm always looking to earn my keep around here. With Horns and mrskippy gone, franklin is probably near the top of the "Most Likely To Go In The Penalty Box" list.

My Momma would be so proud.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:31 PM   #20
neofied
Banned

CKE (Carl's Jr.) purchased Hardee's a few years ago. The star logo has been adopted by Hardee's.

Carl's Jr. burgers are actually fairly good. If you ever get a chance try a Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger. Often imitated, nobody has perfected that style of burger other than Carl's. Every other place puts mayo or TI on theirs.

Hardee's incorporated some items from the Carl's menu (Famous Star/Super Star). They haven't incorporated the Western burgers though from what I can see.

Meanwhile the Carl's locations have incorporated some of the Hardee's ideas. The Six-Dollar Burgar was a Hardee's creation and I believe part of a menu of its own. Some Hardee's also had Sliders (thing White Castle) before Carl's. They're test marketing tham at Carl's now.

Carl's/Hardees is good, though a bit pricey. Quality is a step above McDonald's and BK. But not as good as In-N-Out or Sonic.

I had my first taste of Roy Rogers a few weeks back and I was very impressed.
neofied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:54 PM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Interesting discussions.

Yes, Carl's Jr. is a mainstay out here on the West Coast. "Carl" is Carl Karcher, the old owner of CKE, and I forget how, but he somehow got stuck with the stigma of being a bigot a long time ago. But he's either dead or not involved with the business anymore.

Anyway, Carl's Jr. isn't too bad. Better quality than you'll get at McDonald's, I can tell you.

As for the stuff on steaks, that BBQ and Jack cheese steak topping didn't come from Friday's, I'll tell you that. That must be an Applebee's thing.

TGIF does have a lot of steaks with things on it. The Jack Daniels menu features a steak and also a filet, which are covered with the Jack Daniels glaze (good stuff, actually, syrupy, and a little sweeter than teriyaki, with a spicy aftertaste). But if you don't like stuff on your steaks, TGIF also has steak plates that are barren of sauces, including a filet, a new york strip, and a sirloin.

BTW, we switched to Angus beef a couple years ago (TGIF, that is).

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-10-2003 at 05:54 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:59 PM   #22
tucker342
Pro Starter

Carl's Jr. is fuckin awesome, I wish they had it here in Iowa
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 06:06 PM   #23
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum

TGIF does have a lot of steaks with things on it. The Jack Daniels menu features a steak and also a filet, which are covered with the Jack Daniels glaze (good stuff, actually, syrupy, and a little sweeter than teriyaki, with a spicy aftertaste).

So noted....if you ever want your steak glazed, call CR.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:40 PM   #24
neofied
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum

Yes, Carl's Jr. is a mainstay out here on the West Coast. "Carl" is Carl Karcher, the old owner of CKE, and I forget how, but he somehow got stuck with the stigma of being a bigot a long time ago. But he's either dead or not involved with the business anymore.

Read Fast Food Nation. Whole section in there on Carl. He was tossed, but than managed strike a financial deal to get back with the business with the title of chairman emeritus I believe.

BTW Carl's Jr. was started in Anaheim well before Disney even showed up. And its corporate HQ still remain there.

Fast Food Nation is a great book. There's a lot in there about Disney's relationship with McDonald's and the synergies between the two that existed long before the current relationship.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:40 PM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, no, I have no idea how they do it. If you want it done right, go to a Friday's. I just drop the meals off.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 06:54 PM   #26
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Not true. I'm always looking to let people know that I actually do something to earn my keep around here. With Horns, happy and mrskippy gone, franklin is probably near the top of the "Most Likely To Get Himself Put In The Penalty Box At Any Given Moment" list.

I thought skippy was temp penalty boxed. Was he perma banned? I wondered why he hasn't been back.

I know he had his crazy moments but I liked skippy.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:47 PM   #27
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That Western Cheeseburger blows! I had one when I was in Palm Springs and wanted to die later that night. Eat it only if you are in a self-hating mood.

As to the Hardee's campaign, does anyone else see a new line of commercials five years from now that go something like:

"Yeah I saw that Hardees said they were lying when they said they weren't going to suck anymore. I thought if Hardees can admit tht they were lying when they said they were committed to stop serving shit, maybe this time they aren't lying. Maybe this time they realy will stop serving shit. I mean this doesn't sound anything like the last time, does it?"
Old 07-10-2003, 07:56 PM   #28
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Mmmmmmmm...Western Star Cheeseburger.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:12 PM   #29
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Anybody here remember the Roy Rogers fast food restaurants?

My friend just quit Roy Rogers like a month ago. Worst food ever.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:27 PM   #30
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Washington state was recently introduced to Fatburger, with one in Issaquah and one in Redmond. IMO these are the best 'fast-food' hamburgers around, at least of chains operating in Washington. I've had Californians extoll the virtues of In 'N Out burgers, but I didn't think they were as good as Fatburger.

Cheese on a piece of steak? Sounds like they must be real good cuts of beef...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:30 PM   #31
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Axxon
I thought skippy was temp penalty boxed. Was he perma banned? I wondered why he hasn't been back.

I know he had his crazy moments but I liked skippy.
No. He has not been perma banned.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:16 PM   #32
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
I tried the Chicken Ceasar Stuffed Grilled Burrito at Taco Bell last night. I wasn't very impressed.

Time to go back to the usual bean burritos with no onions and lots of fire sauce, I guess...

Dude...How could you forsake the BELL.....Traitoris bastard.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:08 PM   #33
tucker342
Pro Starter

HOW DARE YOU!!!!! Taco Bell is by far the best fast food.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:53 PM   #34
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Dude...How could you forsake the BELL.....Traitoris bastard.

Chill, brotha. I'm still gonna go to The Bell (see my bean burrito reference). Just no more Chicken Ceasar crap. At three dollars a pop, they're way to expensive for not being that great...

Old 07-10-2003, 10:59 PM   #35
bbor
Pro Starter

They be having Fajita down here know...steak or chicken...it is the Bomb diggity...gives me the shit's like nobodies business.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:02 PM   #36
JeeberD
General Manager

Down here? I thought you were in the Great White North? Did you get transfered to Columbia or something?

The got the CHicken Ceasar crap and Enchilada Bowls going on now down here. But I'm just gonna stick with my burritos, soft tacos, and beef Baja Chalupas from now on...

Old 07-10-2003, 11:11 PM   #37
bbor
Pro Starter

Enchilada bowls??..hmm..we've never had that...sounds good....I'm ALL about the Chalupa

Old 07-10-2003, 11:27 PM   #38
neofied
Banned

I'd rather eat at a taqueria (or however its spelled) than Taco Bell, but Taco Bell will suffice when in the need of quick Mexican food. Or Del Taco, which has better crunch tacos than the Bell.

In-N-Out is good stuff and I've recently tried Sonic, which also is tasty. I've never had a Fatburger, but hope to have one someday. Did you know that Magic Johnson owns Fatburger?

As for the Western Bacon Cheeseburger at Carl's, it is true that some people don't like it. Biggest complaints are the onion rings and the barbecue sauce. It's an acquired taste.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:35 PM   #39
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Okay sonics headquarters are in oklahoma city. And there food is mostly nasty. I can eat their hotdogs, and those breakfast burritoes are good, but the burgers just plain suck.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:39 PM   #40
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Airhog
Okay sonics headquarters are in oklahoma city. And there food is mostly nasty. I can eat their hotdogs, and those breakfast burritoes are good, but the burgers just plain suck.

I think they use hedgehog meat.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:11 AM   #41
condors
College Starter

i normally find a family owned deli near where i live and when i want fast food i go there
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:18 AM   #42
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Old 07-11-2003, 08:46 AM   #43
Subby
lolzcat

You look different without a beard...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 11:03 AM   #44
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
My friend just quit Roy Rogers like a month ago. Worst food ever.

There's still a Roy Rogers in town? Where? We used to go to one in Blue Ash when I was little. It became a Hardees and it now an empty building. I'd like to try Roy Rogers and see if it is as good as I remember.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 11:12 AM   #45
RendeR
Coordinator

Re: Re: I MUST KNOW!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
I don't know about the first one, but the second one is for parents. I have to go to McDonalds, the last thing I want is to eat their crappy hamburgers, The salad is actually not too bad. Otherwise, I would resist going at all costs if I had to choose from their regular menu. So from that standpoint, it's a good idea on their part.

Since this is the fast food/restaurant bitch thread, here's one that I can't seem to figure out:

I have to scratch my head about that one...

Actually, its perfect marketing for a place that never had burgers at first. THey added burgers to their mainly roast beef and chicken menu a while back. They are now trying to get you to think of Hardee's as a burger place as well as a place for great roast beef sandwiches.

Their breakfast stuff is actually quite good.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 11:14 AM   #46
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz

Happy29 was right about this place.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:49 AM   #47
scooper
College Benchwarmer

God bless fast food.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:55 AM   #48
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper

God bless fast food.

Come on now, doesn't this belong in the "What the hell do you look like?" thread?
Old 07-11-2003, 12:10 PM   #49
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Come on now, doesn't this belong in the "What the hell do you look like?" thread?

What?!?! Them's fighting words!!! I prefer Burger King.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:34 PM   #50
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Ugh, glad we don't have Hardee's here in Texas...

Well JeeberD, I hat to disappoint ya, but the Great State of Texas does indeed have Hardee's. When I used to drive from Ft. Worth to New Mexico, I'd pass several of them on 287, starting in Wichita Falls. Breakfast wasn't that bad. But I'm not a burger guy (unless it's Whataburger, or I'm grilling them myself) so I can't pass judgement.

And on another note, they have a seperate category of food here in Italy. Fast Foods are the McDonalds and Burger Kings (which taste EXACTLY the same as back home), ristorante (which are sit-down restaurants) and a third group known as "slow-food". This is a balance between an eat and go, and a three hour sit down dinner. And the places are called "slow food", no translation into Italian.

Last edited by cartman : 07-11-2003 at 01:34 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote