Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
BigDPW
College Prospect

2003 Chicago Fire - CM4

January 26, 2003

Chicago Fire Name New Manager

In a shocking move the Chicago Fire asked Dave Sarachan to step down as the teams manager last night despite the fact that he never managed a match for the club. His replacement is a young manager from North Carolina who has spent time studying the game at the Converciano (The Italian National Team Headquarters) named Derek Watson. While the club ensures us that he knows a great deal about the world of football he is a virtual unknown to us all. The team is giving no explanation for the forced resignation of Mr. Sarachan.

In our first talks with Mr. Watson he stated, "I have been hoping and praying for this opportunity and now it has arrived. I will not disappoint the fans or the managment. I plan to not only rebuild the team this year as the board has asked me to do but I will make us contenders by years end." When asked what he thought of the current crop of talent he said, "I plan to evaluate the talent further over the next few weeks before we begin our friendly matches but in general I feel that the players on this team have been underachieving for a few years. I expect we will get better by simply instilling a will to win in the club and translating that into hard work on the training ground!"

Stay tuned for player evaluations, early moves, and our preseason friendly schedule...

BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
BigDPW
College Prospect

Goalkeepers

Zach Thornton - Age 29 - 8 caps
5 year Fire veteran who developed his skills as a Metrostar he first two years. He was once the future of American GK's but he has yet to live up to the hype on the international level. He is about as solid a GK as you will find in MLS barring Tim Howard.

Henry Ring - Age 26
Two year backup to Thornton has started 3 games for us which is based more on Thornton's skill than Rings lack of it. Ring is solid in net but needs more time to develop completely. Time will tell if he can ever unseat Thornton as the go to guy in net.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:27 PM   #3
BigDPW
College Prospect

Defenders

Chris Brown - D(RC) - Age 27 - 14 caps
Solid central defender who can play the right side as well. He will start and be one of the anchors of our defense.

Carlos Bocanegra - D(LC) - Age 23 - 8 caps
Another solid central defender who can also play the left side. He will start along side Brown in our central defense.

Jim Curtin - D(C) - Age 23
Would start on any other club and will probably see alot of action if our back line has any injuries. If Brown or Bocanegra are forced to move to the wing or we go to five men at the back he will be the guy to fill the hole.

Kelly Gray - SW/D/DM/F (R/C) - Age 21
A very versatile player who will see most of his action as a part of the back line. He needs more time to develop and will probably do so with limited time outside of the bench.

Evan Whitfield - D/M (RL) - Age 25
A tireless right winger who will see most of his action starting for us at right back.

Orlando Perez - D/DM (RL) - Age 25
Not the greatest player around but always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He will share time at the left back position.

Logan Pause - D/DM (LC) - Age 21
A promising youngster who is not quite fit enough for regular first team action. He will share time with Perez at left back.

Chad Dombrowski - D(C) - Age 22
Another promising young center back who isn't quite ready for the big-time. He will see limited action until he proves he can perform.