Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2003, 07:56 AM   #1
cincyreds
High School Varsity

OT: Somebody help me get over this....

Last night we have a softball double header.

Game 1 we play a team that we have beaten pretty good in our 2 previous meetings.

The game is tight, we seasaw back and forth.

Finally the game is tied 6-6 and we go to extra innings, to settle the score.

Top of the 7th we score 1 run to make it 7-6. Bottom of the 7th, after getting the first 2 outs, victory is within our grasp. Their next batter hits a double off of me(I am the pitcher). So I am thinking just one more out. Nope!! Next batter hits a grounder that slides under the SS glove they score and we are tied again 7-7.

Top of the 8th, we score another run to make it 8-7. Bottom of the 8th, we get the first 2 outs again. I am thinking, just more out once again. NOPE!

Next batter singles to center. Next hitter grounds to SS, he fields and makes an erratic throw to 1B, SAFE!! They score and the game is tied again 8-8.

Next batter hits a clean single into right center field, the relay comes to me(runner is heading home) between 3B and pitcher's mound, I make a solid throw to the C that is right on the money(no kidding I keep seeing it in slow motion, it was so pretty), he tags the runner who slides head first. I am screaming, OUT!! OUT!! Everyone is hollering OUT! The umpire calls him SAFE?????!!!! WHAT!!! They win 9-8!!!

After I argue for a few minutes, the umpire continues to say the runner slid under the tag. Now me and some team mates and even some of the guys on the other team are still saying the runner was OUT!! I hate it when an umpire makes a call just so the game can end.

(Fast forward)

Well that was last night and now it is today, I did not sleep very good at all because I know in my heart the guy was out. My mind just won't let it go today.

I need some counseling, some therapy, I just cannot get that picture out of my mind.

That was our 1st loss of the season too.

By the way, we did win the 2nd game 18-8. So our record stands at 8-1 now.

Still...I cannot get over it.

cincyreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:13 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

He looked safe to me.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:13 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Join the club. These kinds of things stay with you for quite awhile.

Back in little league, I was the #1 pitcher for our league "all-star" team that competed in the initial tournament to try to get to THE Little League World Series. Our first game, it's 0-0 through 4 innings. I'm pitching pretty well. The opposing pitcher keeps doing something with his cleats where he creates this large hole right next to the rubber as he pitches. Every inning, I go out and fill the hole back up. For some reason, I decided not to do anything about it in the 5th inning. And they score 6 runs off of me. I have no clue whether my pitching motion or whatever was thrown off, or whether it was just a coincidence, but from time to time for the past - what, 15-20 years? - I've replayed that scenario over and over, wondering why I didn't fill that damn hole. I think I've convinced myself that that was the only reason they scored off of me that inning. The final score was 6-0.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:42 AM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

so much for reaching those ERA-based incentive bonuses.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:51 AM   #5
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Which is worse - having something go wrong that you couldn't have controlled, or that you could have controlled?

I have so many sporting messups, and a lot of them have stayed with me.

Probably the one that burns me the most comes from a hockey game this year, when we played a team from Ithica. They were working on a shutout in the 3rd period, up 9-0. At that point, I REALLY wanted to score.

So I hop over the boards, pickup the loose puck, split two forwards, squeeze along the boards past a defender, then nutmeg THROUGH THE LEGS of the last defender to get in alone on the goal. I make a move that puts the goalie flat on his back, AND MISS THE FKING OPEN NET!!! Arghhhhhhh.

Also had a fair share of fuck-ups playing high school soccer, but that hockey play was just so perfect.

DamndamndamnDamndamndamnDamndamndamnDamndamndamnDamndamndamnDamndamndamnDamndamndamnDamndamndamnDamndamndamnDamndamndamnDamndamndamnDamndamndamn

~rpi-fan
Old 07-02-2003, 10:53 AM   #6
TroyF
Coordinator

cincy,

If you can't get over it, you should simply give up any form of athletic enterprise.

Everyone of us who has ever played a game has gotten "jobbed" by some calls. Everyone who is a fan of a team has watched a horrible call go against their team. (ask Seahawk fans about a green helmut looking like a brown football sometime)

You made a great throw. The ump didn't give you the call. It happens. Be thankful it didn't happen in a championship game. (the worst call that ever went against me happened in that scenario)

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:55 AM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
Everyone of us who has ever played a game has gotten "jobbed" by some calls. Everyone who is a fan of a team has watched a horrible call go against their team. (ask Seahawk fans about a green helmut looking like a brown football sometime)

the helmet was white.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:29 AM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

Sounds like you need to move your SS to C to me.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote