Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2003, 10:46 PM   #1
Axxon
Pro Starter

Question regarding Strat-O-Matic Football

I've been thinking about getting this game for the computer for a while and wonder if anyone has any experience with it and if so, is it any good? I used to play the board game and it was my favorite of all the football board game so while I'm not interested in their baseball game the football one does have it's appeal.

I've heard about the horrible copy protection and I know it's a steep price but they have a deal where you get the cards pretty cheap with the computer game and I'd like the cards as a collectors item to add to my other Buccaneer crap I bought this year.

Still, I don't want to fork over that much loot if the game bites because I can buy the cards separately.

Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:47 PM   #2
vtbub
College Starter

Haven't played the football version, owned a couple of the baseball versions, liked those.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:52 PM   #3
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I've been playing their computerized version of basketball for years and I enjoy it.

For football, I always preferred Statis Pro Football board games to strat-o-matic, but a friend played the first version of the computer football game...but it was more of a solitare tool. I don't know anything about the new version, but if it's anything like their other computer sports, it's probably going to be fairly good. Question is, how much are you willing to play it. If you are really into stat sims, it's worth it.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:06 PM   #4
Axxon
Pro Starter

Colt,

I used to play a lot of APBA and Strat. Statis Pro sounds familiar. Was that the Avalon Hill football game?? If so, I can remember it being sort of fun but it didn't hook me, probably because I didn't know anyone else who played it and board games don't fare well solitaire usually.

As for strat, if it's only a solo game, that's kinda disappointing because as far as I know it's a replay league with only one season so I'd imagine it would get old kinda quickly. Funny, I can't find much about it on their site. Sorta sends up a red flag if you know what I mean.

Still, I liked the board game and for a casual game of football now and then, if the computer game is faithful to the board game I'd keep it on the hard drive but I don't know if it would be worth that much cash for casual use.

BTW, I am very into stat sims.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:11 PM   #5
vtbub
College Starter

You should be able to create your own teams, but it is a replay sim.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:24 AM   #6
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Axxon,

Yeah, Statis Pro was Avalon Hill's baby. It only lasted from 1980-91, but there's a website that's made all the years since and are working on pre-80 seasons. They've also redone the solitare rules to make it more playable on your own (like you, I've never found anyone else close who plays it...for some reason, this website has mostly British people that play)

As for strat-o-matic, I played in an online league in basketball for two years, but it was play-by-email. You had to send your instructions to someone else and they type them in for you. I'm guessing football would be the same because I haven't seen anything about online play in the mailer they sent me last month.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote