Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2003, 01:02 PM   #1
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

What do you regret the most in your life so far?

What do you regret the most in your life so far? I know the simple answer is nothing, everything I have done has made me blah blah blah. That is very boring. Tell us all the truth.

For me, I thought of a few things, one was telling my guy scoring my driving test "Welcome to my death trap" before we started to go. Somehow I still passed. The other was spending more time with my best friend before he was murdered. But I feel that no matter how much time I spent with him, it wouldn't have been enough, so I choose this.

My Junior year of college, I met this very great girl. I was working with her and she was very beautiful. We have currently been dating for close to 3 years now and live together. But also at the same time I met a less attractive girl in a oral interp class. It was a class where I got to do what I love to do, write scary stuff, perform it to an audience and make everyone scared. This girl and I grouped up for our final presentation in the class and had to spend many nights together preparing for it. I had so much fun, she had similiar interest and we had lots of fun. When we did the final presentation, it was magical. Everything fell in line and the show was great. We were even called back to do the show again to a larger group and it was even better then. She broke up with her boyfriend because I had no girlfriend yet(I was seeing her, but not dating) and she wanted to be with me. I choose not too.

Some time passed and we met up again. Currently my girlfriend and I are having a great time, will likely get married and live happily ever after, but now that Sarah and I are friends, I have been wondering, what would have happened had I choose her instead.

Who knows, maybe it would have been horrible, maybe not, but that is something I will always wonder.

The Afoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

*WARNING* Relationship advice

If your happy you should never ever look back. If you do you will start to questions yourself and you should never do that as long as your happy.

I am in a similar situatuin, excpet my role is more of your current girlfriends, and let me tell you, it sucks.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:08 PM   #3
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I wish I'd taken my studies more seriously in high school. I recovered well in college, but college may have been cheaper had I lived up to my potential earlier.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:10 PM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I wish I had been more mature in my early 20's. I won't go into details, but I did some pretty stupid shit, and really hurt some people.

EDIT: Having said that, if I had a chance to go back and change it, I don't think I could. What if changing that would mean that I wasn't where I was today, with a wonderful wife and a daughter that I adore? That's strange to think about.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 07-01-2003 at 01:11 PM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:12 PM   #5
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
*WARNING* Relationship advice

If your happy you should never ever look back. If you do you will start to questions yourself and you should never do that as long as your happy.

I am in a similar situatuin, excpet my role is more of your current girlfriends, and let me tell you, it sucks.

There is no way I am leaving my current girlfriend. Everything is great, I just wonder if it would have been greater with her. Now my life has changed, because of my life with my current girlfriend, that life with Sarah would be next to impossible to go to. We are friends and have fun writing together, but I can't live the lifestyle she can. But that is a different story.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:17 PM   #6
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I wish I would have hidden the bodies a little better. Damn DNA tests.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:25 PM   #7
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I wish I would have hidden the bodies a little better. Damn DNA tests.

Come on now, use the river.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
Come on now, use the river.

Well, our buddy Mr. Peterson showed that water ain't alwsy the answer.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

True but he used a lake or a pond, whatever it was.

As I read in a John Grisham book one time, always use the Mississippi River.

I mean, did anyone ever find Hernando DeSoto? Exactly.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:47 PM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

EDIT: Having said that, if I had a chance to go back and change it, I don't think I could. What if changing that would mean that I wasn't where I was today, with a wonderful wife and a daughter that I adore? That's strange to think about.

You should really read The Strange Life Of Ivan Osokin by P.D. Ouspenksy.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:46 PM   #11
ice4277
Pro Rookie

There are a number of things I would like to change from a school/professional level, but doing so would probably change the great times I have had on a personal level in the last few years. So, on balance, I probably would not change much; you can't win 'em all, and you learn a hell of a lot more about life when you fail than when you succeed, so I guess you just have to roll with the punches.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:47 PM   #12
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Doing two years of school in one year. Yeah, I graduated a year early and all, but I was very immature and all the kids in my senior class were a year older and "different" than I. The immaturity continues to this day, in many ways, but after lots of crap and stupid shit, now that I am old, immaturity is actually a good thing, in many instances.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:49 PM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Passacaglia

You should really read The Strange Life Of Ivan Osokin by P.D. Ouspenksy.

Wow, there's a name I haven't seen in a while. How's it going, Passacaglia?

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:52 PM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

More than anything I regret becoming a hardcore EverQuest addict for about 18 months. I've made a lot of mistakes, some of them pretty darn serious, but nothing had such a lasting impact on my life than basically throwing away 2 years.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:53 PM   #15
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
There are a number of things I would like to change from a school/professional level, but doing so would probably change the great times I have had on a personal level in the last few years. So, on balance, I probably would not change much; you can't win 'em all, and you learn a hell of a lot more about life when you fail than when you succeed, so I guess you just have to roll with the punches.

I understand that, all I am saying is that I wish I would have tried something. I am not saying I am not happy with how things turned out, I am, but I regret I didn't even try my other option.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:17 PM   #16
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Sometimes the roads we choose are those that are meant for us, other roads that we don't choose always leave us left alone to wonder, what might have been.

Sometimes doing nothing can be the best move you ever made.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:19 PM   #17
Buzzbee
College Starter

I regret wasting the time it took to read this thread.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:40 PM   #18
sabotai
General Manager

There really isn't much I have done that I regret doing. There was a situation that I "regret".

To explain, I met this girl in college named Kristen. She was great, awesome, perfect. I mean, this girl was EVERYTHING that I wanted or needed. After I got to know her, I was EVERYTHING she ever wanted or needed.

But I was with someone at the time and she was with someone at the time. The thought of us being together never really crossed my mind when we were friends. We were only friends for about a year or so before she transfered to a new school. We were good friends and knew a lot about each other, but weren't so close that we would stay in touch when she transfered. That's not the kind of guy I am and that wasn't the kind of girl she was.

Looking back on it now, knowing that the gf I had at the time did not work out, I wish things could have been different. I wish we would have met each other while we were both single. No doubt in my mind we would have ended up together if we did. For the rest of my life, I know I will not meet anyone as perfect for me as she was. She was definately "the one". (No, not like in the Matrix. ). And now she is "the one that got away".
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:59 PM   #19
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Hey ChiefRum (and everyone else I haven't talked to in a while)! Things are going pretty well! I'm living in Chicago now, still working toward my teaching certificate (I'll be done at the end of 2004). It's going really well, and I'm doing better than I ever have, and enjoying classes more than I ever have, to the point where I don't mind too much how crazy busy it gets working and going to school at the same time (plus, since I just moved to Chicago, I have a longer commute on the el than I ever had driving or walking in Michigan). But I still do get my share of slack time. I've been reading the boards every once in a while, but pretty rarely. I keep forgetting the thing that I have to change my privacy setting to 'low' before I can post! So that's things with me, going really well, my girlfriend (if any of you remember lurker) are really happy. How about you?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:47 PM   #20
TroyF
Coordinator

I regret not being more open in high school. I was so shy I sometimes went days without saying a word to anyone. I wonder how different my life would have been had I had some guts back then.

Then again, overcoming said shyness is something I'm most proud of in my life so there really isn't any need for regret. Go figure.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:55 PM   #21
Frozenrope
Mascot

I wish that Micheal Granse and myself would have hashed out our arguments at the time that it happened. We were best friends that let a girl come between us and we were both too stubborn to extend the olive branch.

This was 10 years ago. Still kinda regret it. Have learned a lot from it, though.

I also regret not trying out for theatre in high school. I waited till the end of college when my career path was pretty much set.

Oh, well. Live and learn.

Last edited by Frozenrope : 07-01-2003 at 05:56 PM.
Frozenrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:59 PM   #22
44Niners
In The Penalty Box

I regret not buying a ton of microsoft stock in the late 80's when most of my money was wasted on cheap women in seedy bars.
44Niners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:12 PM   #23
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

I wouldn't change anything, because I love where my life is at the moment, and fear changing something would alter where I am.

Well, I guess I wish I had gone to the high school I graduated from all four years instead of the last three.

Being more social sophomore and junior years would've been good too I suppose.

And there was that one time I got a really hot blonde drunk at my house but got drunk first and walked in on her and a friend of mine making out on my bed. Damn that stadium sized vodka and CJ.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:16 PM   #24
korme
Go Reds

bigdawg advocates taking advantage of drunk women.. nice......

MY KINDA GUY!

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:37 PM   #25
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm definitely in mindset that everything that's happened in my past - good AND bad - has put me where I am today, and I am extremely pleased at that place, so there's not much I would change even if I could.

I do regret that my father didn't live long enough to see his grandson (and to see me become a dad) - but certainly that's not something I could chang.

Oddly, as odd as it sounds, if I could change one thing, I would have joined the military after school. At the time, the military definitely wasn't for me - I was lazy and didn't take direction from others very well. It STILL isn't "for me" (I'm still lazy, and still don't take direction well), but I think the experience would have been a good one for me.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:43 PM   #26
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

UPDATE HERE: I too am very happy where my life is. I am not asking for you to change one thing in your past and have it change where you are now, unless that is what you want. What I am saying is, is there one thing you wish you would have did, regaurdless of outcome and what the future would become because of it. If that makes any sense.

Because for me, I would never leave my G/F now, she is the greatest thing that has happened to me, but I do wonder what would have happened with Sarah sometimes...
Old 07-01-2003, 07:12 PM   #27
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
I wish I'd taken my studies more seriously in high school. I recovered well in college, but college may have been cheaper had I lived up to my potential earlier.

That's also mine... It feels like I've just been throwing away my High School years... I'm just hoping that I recover well in college
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:20 PM   #28
Jets80
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Radii
More than anything I regret becoming a hardcore EverQuest addict for about 18 months. I've made a lot of mistakes, some of them pretty darn serious, but nothing had such a lasting impact on my life than basically throwing away 2 years.

What Radii said...But with AC1. 2 years of my life wasted.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 02:18 AM   #29
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I can't complain too much, Passacaglia.

I'm just chugging along with my various projects in writing and computer programming and keeping my eye out for a good job. Living a relatively easy (and low-cost) lifestyle at the moment--we'll see how long I can keep it up.

Glad to hear you're enjoying where you're at right now. Enjoying classes? Ugh.

CR

Old 07-02-2003, 05:13 AM   #30
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

"Sometimes doing nothing can be the best move you ever made."

Ah, but isn't it said that not taking a risk is the biggest risk you can take?
Old 07-02-2003, 07:50 AM   #31
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Not going out with this stripper I met last weekend.

Not going to play college baseball, was recruited by 70+ schools, narrowed it down to 2 schools and they one coach quit and the other got fired so. I went to a local 2 year school and was going to play 2 years then transfer but there baseball program was a joke.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:16 AM   #32
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Allow me to chime in with another story about the "one who got away"....

Her name was Meredith, a girl that lived maybe 20 minutes away from the time i was a kid until high school. Our parents were best friends, but for years we basically hated each other (of course being in those teenage years where you sometimes struggle finding your identity)...Anyway, when I was like 14, they moved to North Carolina while we stayed here in NJ. It was when she was gone that I started to think about her quite a bit and wonder what could have been...

She came up to visit about 4 years later, for New Years' Day. From the moment our eyes met again, the sparks flew. Seeing her then, years later, she was absolutely beautiful. We spent New Years' together and realized what our feelings were saying-- we were meant for each other, it was almost too perfect.

Earlier that year, I had applied to Appalachian St. University, which was conveniently 15 minutes from her place, so assuming I was to be accepted and offered a decent scholarship since i was at the top of my class, everything would work. Again it was all too perfect...But, being an out-of-state student, and a slacker to boot, I never gave the scholarship applications a good effort, and was offered a fraction of what i was expecting. To make a long story short, I took their offer personally, changed gears, went to the University of Pittsburgh, and the rest is history.

Have a girlfriend I love dearly right now, more than likely will get married, but I can't help but wonder about what could have and should have been...

I apologize for the length of this rant, but thanks for the trip down memory lane..
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:18 AM   #33
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
I regret not being more open in high school. I was so shy I sometimes went days without saying a word to anyone. I wonder how different my life would have been had I had some guts back then.

Then again, overcoming said shyness is something I'm most proud of in my life so there really isn't any need for regret. Go figure.

TroyF

Troy, this is one of my biggest regrets in HS (and to some extent college) as well. With me it was weird though, and I am still like this sometimes. With people I know, and are comfortable with, I'm very open, and often end up being a leader type. In HS, I was in all of the academic classes, with most of the same people. I like to think I have a fairly good wit, and would crack one-liners a lot in class, etc (even and had a number of teachers who appreciated my humor ). Made friends with almost everyone in my classes. I guess I could have been "king of the nerds" to some extent. Oh, I was also a 2-way starter on the football team as a senior (and started OL as a junior - at 185 lbs ).

When it came to people I didn't know all that well though, it was a different story. Had trouble talking to them, didn't feel like I fit in or that they would even want to bother with me. And if there was a girl I was interested in? Forget it. Absolute fear - no confidence whatsoever. Didn't really date in HS. There were girls I knew were interested in me, but they were almost never ones I were attracted to. One I was attracted to that I got along with great had an on again-off again BF, and I never thought it right to encroach on another guys territory. There was another girl I was interested in on the cheerleading team (after football sr year I and a couple of teammates "joined" the cheerleaders for basketball season, she was a junior) who I think might have been interested - she seemed to flirt with me a lot - but I had no idea how to act on it.

So HS was painful in many ways (college was just frustrating, with a 2-1 M/F ratio). Another example - a couple of days before football games, the cheerleaders would put a banner in the hallway, and stick on it paper football cutouts with each players name and number in glued-on glitter. Girls would grab the footballs for the guys they were going out with, liked, etc. Nothing was more depressing than seeing mine up there after almost all the rest of them had been taken down, even most of the "scrubs". Each week I'd have to get my own to shove it into my locker.

There, that was therapeutic.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:25 AM   #34
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
UPDATE HERE: I too am very happy where my life is. I am not asking for you to change one thing in your past and have it change where you are now, unless that is what you want. What I am saying is, is there one thing you wish you would have did, regaurdless of outcome and what the future would become because of it. If that makes any sense.

Because for me, I would never leave my G/F now, she is the greatest thing that has happened to me, but I do wonder what would have happened with Sarah sometimes...

Just in case Afoci's girlfriend stops by...
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:45 AM   #35
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
Just in case Afoci's girlfriend stops by...

Well, she told me I was happy, so I decided I like my sack and am now very happy!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:07 PM   #36
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I regret how I acted and how I treated some people back in high school. I look back now and realize somebody really should have kicked my butt a time or two. The majority of it has to do with cutting up on certain people. At the time it all seemed "funny" and I always thought everyone just "knew" I meant no harm by it. As an adult I learned there are certain people in your life this may be true of, but never do this kind of stuff to people you aren't sure of. Best to treat people you don't know so well with a certain amount of respect and dignity. Now that I have sons I intend to teach them not to act that way just to be "cool" or "funny".