Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2003, 07:06 AM   #1
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

National Do Not Call Registry

Just in case people didn't notice this, after 8:30 EST, you can start registering phone numbers for preventing telemarketer calls today at http://www.donotcall.gov/ You basically provide them an email address, they'll send you a link you have to click on within 72 hrs to verify, and then you're set. If you live west of the Mississippi, you can also register by calling 888-382-1222 starting today, East coasters have to wait until July 7th to use the number (no clue why this is) but can still register a number via email.

JAG

JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:48 AM   #2
Sybot
n00b

Site Down???

They must have misjudged the number of people that are hitting that site. Especially this morning.

Site will probably be slow much of today.
Sybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:50 AM   #3
Sybot
n00b

My bad, tried to reply to the national do not call registry thread but hit New Topic instead of reply. That's what I get for reading the forum half asleep first thing in the morning.
Sybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:52 AM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

If a person is on their state no call list, do they have to register on this one, also?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:02 AM   #5
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally posted by Sybot
My bad, tried to reply to the national do not call registry thread but hit New Topic instead of reply. That's what I get for reading the forum half asleep first thing in the morning.

Fixed.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:04 AM   #6
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

sachmo, I got my info from the washington post. According to a list they have there ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ates062703.htm ), people from Texas on the list will have to re-register on the national list.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:04 AM   #7
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan S
Fixed.
Dontcha just LOVE vbulletin?
Old 06-27-2003, 09:33 AM   #8
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Ok, they say that only politicians, pollsters, and charities can still call you. IRONICALLY, ARENT THOSE THE THREE LEADING TELEMARKETERS ?!
Old 06-27-2003, 09:40 AM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I thought I read somewhere that phone companies are also exempt.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:46 AM   #10
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Yeah, this will work just as well as the state laws.

In Colorado, we have had the same thing but while it may reduce, you will still get a lot of calls. This is what happens when you put your trust in government to do something they should be involved. Instead, for the past two years, we have signed up for the blocking service through Qwest and we have enjoyed about 99.9% success rate (maybe one or two call a month).
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:00 AM   #11
Samdari
Roster Filler

JPhillips

Companies you have done business with in the last 18 months are allowed to call you. If you have an active phone line, this would presumably include the phone company.

I REALLY hate politicians excluding themselves from this. They are dedicated to preserving our privacy. Except when they need funds to campaign again.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:10 AM   #12
Daimyo
College Starter

SBC/Ameritech has a service in Chicago that for a couple bucks a month filters telemarketing very efficiently. Basically if the call has no caller ID info (like 99.9% of telemarketing) the call is intercepted by an answering service which asks the caller to state their name, etc. If they provide it then your phone will ring and ask if you want to except, ignore, or reject the call (sort of like a collect call). If the caller refuses to provide their info your phone doesn't ring at all.

In my experience over the last two years that I've had the service less than 5 telemarketers have provided their info. My telemarketing calls went from roughly 10/week to zero since I've had the service... well worth the ~$2/month it costs considering I used to be awakened every Saturday morning at ~8am by one of those damn calls.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:14 AM   #13
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Daimyo, that's good experience (and for a better price than Qwest). It's funny, this national law was patterned after Colorado and other states. The experience have been that telemarketing calls have dropped to 10/week on the average for most folks on the list. They apparently are happy with that since that usually less than the 5-10/day. Why pay taxes to support mediocre service when for a few bucks a month, you can get 0/week that you and I have been getting? Oh that's right, folks look the federal government to solve their problems.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:29 AM   #14
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Well, since I signed up with the Texas no-call list, I have gotten an average of about 1 telemarketing call per month. I don't know why mine seems to work so well.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:36 AM   #15
thealmighty
Pro Starter

sachmo, I am on the TX list and have had great results, also.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:26 PM   #16
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
Daimyo, that's good experience (and for a better price than Qwest). It's funny, this national law was patterned after Colorado and other states. The experience have been that telemarketing calls have dropped to 10/week on the average for most folks on the list. They apparently are happy with that since that usually less than the 5-10/day. Why pay taxes to support mediocre service when for a few bucks a month, you can get 0/week that you and I have been getting? Oh that's right, folks look the federal government to solve their problems.

Or get a cable modem and disconnect your phone. That works awesome - trust me .
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:19 PM   #17
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Man, I need something like this for my e-mail box. Freaking 15-20 spam messages every morning.

Before anybody asks, no, I don't need pharmaceutical products, mortage information, penis enlargement, pictures of anal virgins, mail order brides, nor anything related to the above in nature.

Thanks

Edit: Just as an afterthought. . . What do you want to bet that the email info is being provided to the above mentioned non-restricted parties?

This would also be a nice little trick to collect phone #'s & email addresses for spam marketers.

Last edited by damnMikeBrown : 06-27-2003 at 07:22 PM.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:23 PM   #18
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Didnt we used to have a thread on the old board talking about telemarketers and how to have fun with them?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:54 AM   #19
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by lynchjm24
Or get a cable modem and disconnect your phone. That works awesome - trust me .

Yup! Land lines are for suckers... :P

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:34 AM   #20
Craptacular
College Starter

I'm on Wisconsin's list and have only gotten a couple of calls this year from charities. Unfortunately, come election time, the politicians will come calling with their frickin' recorded messages.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote