Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2003, 09:47 PM   #1
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Stop all in the name that does not suck...

The Charlotte F&$king Bobcats...what a terrible name. I can't stand some team names for every cool one there are a ton that just are so inane or silly.

The Raptors (can be dated to the Jurassic Park craze)
The Phillies, Mets, Expos (The Eastern division has some of the suckiest names, they suck so bad that their cool because they're so original)
see also: Padres

I thought that the WFL had some interesting names too...but names like Rage and Sacramento Surge...ah...too hokey.

Give me the Banana Slugs anytime.

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 09:50 PM   #2
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I was thinking the North Carolina Rampaging Rednecks would have been a good one, or maybe the N.C. Backwoods Bombers.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:52 PM   #3
vtbub
College Starter

Tar Heels

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 09:56 PM   #4
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

You mean to tell me in all the money that went into buying this franchise the marketing department's best logo was a Bobcat...this the first franchise in the N.B.A. owned by an African-American (this is true right)...that bobcat was the best they could do, could offer as an option to the populace to choose...? Ugh.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 06-09-2003, 10:05 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I like the Padres name but that's just me, I guess.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:09 PM   #6
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
I like the Padres name but that's just me, I guess.

SI

I still recall those horrid yellow brown uni's with the fat friar swinging the bat...horrid horrid...what were those guys smoking?!?
Old 06-09-2003, 10:10 PM   #7
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Qwikshot
this the first franchise in the N.B.A. owned by an African-American (this is true right)...that bobcat was the best they could do, could offer as an option to the populace to choose...? Ugh.

WTF does this mean? Do you expect them to be called the sambos, or perhaps some "black" slang name.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:13 PM   #8
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
WTF does this mean? Do you expect them to be called the sambos, or perhaps some "black" slang name.

Uh excuse me, that's not what I meant and I'm insulted by that...I just felt that they would have had a better name than Dragons, Flight or Bobcat...WTF your problem?
Old 06-09-2003, 10:16 PM   #9
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You mean to tell me in all the money that went into buying this franchise the marketing department's best logo was a Bobcat...this the first franchise in the N.B.A. owned by an African-American (this is true right)...that bobcat was the best they could do, could offer as an option to the populace to choose...? Ugh.

Well, consider the position they're in: in this day and age, it's basically impossible for them to use a nickname that's used by a team in any other major U.S. sports league. Thus, there aren't that many really good nicknames left out there.

Do you have a better suggestion than the choices they came up with?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #10
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Not being from North Carolina, I still feel there must have been something more provincial to the state than Bobcat. I guess Flight would've been a little more acceptable over something so generic as Bobcat...

for the price they're paying I'm sure they could've bought out a name.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 06-09-2003 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:30 PM   #11
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I prefer Bobcats to any of the names Qwikshot mentioned(add in Devil Rays) so I am not complaining.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:32 PM   #12
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bosshogg23
I prefer Bobcats to any of the names Qwikshot mentioned(add in Devil Rays) so I am not complaining.

I didn't suggest any yet, I'm doing research on North Carolina history as we speak

the 3 options given to the Charlotte Community were

Flight (because the Kitty Hawk Flight)
Dragons
Bobcats

I'm sure there must be something better.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:33 PM   #13
neofied
Banned

Re: Stop all in the name that does not suck...

Quote:

Give me the Banana Slugs anytime.

University of California, Santa Cruz

BTW I kissed a banana slug once.
neofied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:35 PM   #14
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I was referring to the group you mentioned that suck.

Bobcats > the group you mentioned(plus the Devil Rays).

Thats why im not complaining.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 10:41 PM   #15
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

They're uni's are going to be mainly orange, should be quite interesting.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:56 PM   #16
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I personally hate the 'trendry' non plural team nicknames that are out these days.

Heat, Blaze, Fire, Jazz, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:02 PM   #17
Easy Mac

Being from around the area, I'm not sure why they chose the Bobcats, I guess to ride along the "Panthers" theme.

I would have preferred the Dragons. Perhaps it is a stupid name, but the Charlotte minor league baseball team is known as the Knights, with Homer the Dragon as their macot. I think it would have gone a long way towards making the community feel closer to the organization, especially since the last one worked so hard to alienate the fans. I guess I expected too much out of a pro sports franchise.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:37 PM   #18
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
Being from around the area, I'm not sure why they chose the Bobcats, I guess to ride along the "Panthers" theme.

I would have preferred the Dragons. Perhaps it is a stupid name, but the Charlotte minor league baseball team is known as the Knights, with Homer the Dragon as their macot. I think it would have gone a long way towards making the community feel closer to the organization, especially since the last one worked so hard to alienate the fans. I guess I expected too much out of a pro sports franchise.

I was just thinking about something with dragons and to why it was a choice. I know I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off on a tangent here but

dragon=puff=smoke

let the conspiracies begin.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:48 PM   #19
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

Bobcats is a high school team or college team name that just does not belong in proffesional sports. Like Wildcats for example, half of the amateur athletic teams in this country are the wildcats but it should never and as far as i know has never been used for a proffesional team. I think tigers falls in this category too. It works fine for amateur sports like but has it isnt used at the proffessional level unless you consider the detroit tigers to be a proffesional sports team and that is very questionable.
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:37 AM   #20
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Uh excuse me, that's not what I meant and I'm insulted by that...I just felt that they would have had a better name than Dragons, Flight or Bobcat...WTF your problem?

Hey, you were the one that said they were the first black owned NBA team and somehow this means something special when it comes to logos.

You intended something when noting that is the first owned by a black person. What was it? Should a black owner have better judgement when it comes to team names? Should a black owner have a "cooler" team name? What were you going for that was different than the same ole rich white guy?
Old 06-10-2003, 07:42 AM   #21
Critch
lolzcat

Charlotte Gliders. That would have been good. Gliders linking to Carolina's history with the Wright brothers (I know this is right cos I've just checked my collection of state quarters and it's right there on the quarter). Plus they'd want to glide on the court. So Charlotte Gliders would have been cool.

Either that or Charlotte's Web.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 07:50 AM   #22
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm, I must be in the minority, but I think Bobcats is just fine. I prefer your basic plural nouns for teams, enough of this stuff with (super)natural phenomena, anything that can be taken as a verb, etc. Heat, Jazz, Rage, Sting, Shock, Magic, Fire - get rid of all of them. And 'Raptors' was just plain stupid.

As for black names, what are we talking here? The Charlotte Gangstaas? The Charlotte Niggaaaazzzz? The Charlotte Underground Railroad?

edit: Forgot about 'Wild'. Bad as any of them.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 06-10-2003 at 07:51 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 08:57 AM   #23
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Doesn't Shinn still own the Knights? It'd be a bit of a bad choice to try to connect the new team to the baseball team that is owned by the very same person who pissed off the city and took his basketball franchise to New Orleans.

At any rate, Bobcats isn't too bad. It is better than all of those adjective names, i.e. Heat, Wild, etc. I think "Cougars" in reference to the old ABA team that everyone seems to have fond rememberance of (though I don't think they were that great as I recall) would be better. Beyond that, you are kind of scratching for names since Charlotte isn't much known for anything other than being a banking center in the present time.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 10:13 AM   #24
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey, you were the one that said they were the first black owned NBA team and somehow this means something special when it comes to logos.

You intended something when noting that is the first owned by a black person. What was it? Should a black owner have better judgement when it comes to team names? Should a black owner have a "cooler" team name? What were you going for that was different than the same ole rich white guy?

I felt they would have done something with civil rights movement.

Sorry I forgot the Redskins, Indians, Braves, etc are all quite wholesome.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:16 AM   #25
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Well, 'Kings' is already taken. The Charlotte Parks? Ooh, I know - the Charlotte X. Relevant and trendy!
Old 06-10-2003, 10:23 AM   #26
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I still think they should have gone with the Charlotte Harlots, with Eddie from Iron Maiden as the mascot, the song as the theme, and a bunch of dancers dressed like prostitutes making the rounds during the game. Fan-TASTIC!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 10:32 AM   #27
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:

Ah yes, the Charlotte X, with pictures of Malcolm and big Xs as their motif...
Old 06-10-2003, 10:36 AM   #28
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Ah yes, the Charlotte X, with pictures of Malcolm and big Xs as their motif...

And their coach would be required to wear a bow tie, as would the players during travel/press conferences.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:33 AM   #29
Craptacular
College Starter

Charlotte Smokes
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 11:37 AM   #30
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Charlotte's Web. With either a big spider or a pig dancing around at the games.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 12:38 PM   #31
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Interesting thing to note, the owner of the Bobcats is named Bob Johnson. Was he naming the team after himself?

Last edited by stkelly52 : 06-10-2003 at 12:39 PM.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 12:44 PM   #32
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Wow Fritz, you made me see the light.

I mean the guy who owns the Black Entertainment Network, which specializes in programs for African-Americans, buys a Charlotte Team that the U.S. Census Bureau puts race demographics at 21.6% compared to 12.3% rest of nation. Talk of hiring Jordan (hey who wouldn't, but he is a prominent African-American in the N.B.A., a sport prominently played by African-Americans) I would daresay that the fanbase would be prominently African-American. In North Carolina, not only full of history for the first flight, tobacco, successionism, but also for desegregation rights, civil rights...that Bobcat, yes, Bobcat was the best thing they could think up. Why cater to a market that isn't there...I'm sure most people in North Carolina will not care, but I feel from a marketing standpoint something has been missed.

I would've taken a shot at Freedom, Spirit, Express, Flight, Diesels, Speed, or Quick (the latter two in honor of the Go-Forward campaign) but hey what do I know, you're the smart one...

And stkelly that is what they are referring it as...it just doesn't ring as true as the Cleveland Browns, does it? (Note: the last statement is note a reference to skin color but to ownership using their name as a mascot, for all of those who would see it differently).

Last edited by Qwikshot : 06-10-2003 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:01 PM   #33
Samdari
Roster Filler

{diety reference deleted to appease all sides of prayer debate} I hate "conceptual" nicknames. Heat, Fusion (I know, its MLS, but a good example of a horrendous nickname) Wild even Jazz and Avalanche are pretty offensive.

Team nicknames:

Should be plural (BearS, TigerS, Banana SlugS etc). I cannot emphasize this enough.

Should represent a noun. Animals are ideal, especially ones considered fierce. Groups of humans are acceptable, but should either be generally thought of as tough, or have local flavor.

All in all, I like Bobcats better than a lot of crap that has been adopted in recent years. Flight would have broken almost every rule about good nicknames. Wow, I just saw almost an entire paragraph by Qwikshot suggesting "conceptual" nicknames. Nothing personal, but I really hate them all.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:19 PM   #34
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Why do some people feel that everything a prominent black person does should be done through the lens of the civil rights movement? Tiger should make a statement, the William sisters should make a statement, Powell and Rice should make statements, Bob Johnson should make statement.... Perhaps being extraordinarily successful is enough a statement and the rest of it is grandstanding.

I guess Johnson could use a team name to remind the world he is black, in case those that care ever forget. If this is case, I suggest the perfect name for his team would be "The Black Guy's Team." That is what those that care will call it anyway.

On a side note, I have no idea what the Go-Forward campaign is. Evidently, neither does google (to 3 pages deep).
Old 06-10-2003, 01:21 PM   #35
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Charlotte Smokes

The Charlotte Intimidators
Old 06-10-2003, 01:33 PM   #36
Franklinnoble
Banned

The Charlotte Carcinogens
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:04 PM   #37
korme
Go Reds

Charlotte Hornets
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:05 PM   #38
korme
Go Reds

By the way, is New Orleans going to change their name? It would be nice to see them become the New Orleans Jazz and change Utah to something else.. Although Utah Jazz sounds nice after hearing it for all that I can remember.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:25 PM   #39
MrBug708
Head Coach

Charlotte Bobcats, owned by BOB Johnson. Can we say Ego trip? When he sells the team, the name will be changed. No one wants to own a team named after the former own
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 02:30 PM   #40
Samdari
Roster Filler

Browns?
Old 06-11-2003, 11:59 PM   #41
tucker342
Pro Starter

How about the Charlotte Pussycats
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 12:02 AM   #42
mckerney
Coordinator

It's time to name a NBA team the Chunks.

I feel Chunky!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 12:37 AM   #43
Tigercat
College Starter

Damn what is up with the Jazz hating? Nothing wrong with the Jazz its just HORRIBLE of a nickname for a state/city known for its mormon roots. New Orleans Jazz was a great name, sure non plural, but it really fit well.

In fact there was some talk last year of a three way swipe of some sort bringing the Jazz name back to New Orleans and the Hornet name to Charolette. Its a shame that couldn't happen, because there is no Jazz in Utah and it would have been nice if NC could have kept the name Hornets.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 12:52 AM   #44
mckerney
Coordinator

While we're on the subject of changing team names
There's no jazz in Utah and few lakes in LA
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 11:37 AM   #45
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Great, another "save the endagered large cats" team nickname.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote