Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2003, 12:14 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Digital Camera advice?

So I'm thinking of getting a digital camera, and just wanted people's opinions. I am looking for a solid camera that's good for a casual user. I am looking at the Canon A70, which is 3.2 megapixels (or whatever the term is). The little woman wants a 4.0, but those are considerably more pricey. Is 3.2 is good enough, since I'm not a serious photographer and am not looking to make 8X10's or larger photos?

Thanks!

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 12:29 AM   #2
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I was in the market for a compact camera, and just bought myself a Canon Powershot S400. It's a 4-megapixel camera, I believe it's currently the only 4 mp in a compact sized camera. Retailing at Best Buy for $500. A step down from the Powershot family is the S230. It's a 3.2 mp camera and about $100 less.

I also have a Nikon Coolpix 995. About a year old, and some newer generations have already come out. My Coolpix 995 takes 3.2's.

Both of my cameras are great. I wanted the compact camera so that I could take great party shots.

If you really want full reviews on any cameras, allow me to recommend this site: Digital Photo Review

Good Luck!
ABC

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 06-09-2003 at 12:29 AM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:12 AM   #3
Ragone
Pro Rookie

well for 500 bucks... you can get yourself a dscp10 or 92 sony which is a 5.0 megapixel

i'd do some poking around though.. i have the dscp10 myself and its a nice camera.. although 5.0 megapixel pictures take up quite the memory card space :P
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:56 AM   #4
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Best place for digital camera info

These are some of the most important things to focus on when buying a digital camera (in the opinion of many):

-optical zoom - the bigger the better, ignore digital zoom

-it is much easier to "downsize" photos than to try to "upsize" them, so figure out what the maximum size you will be printing is, and then get a camera that will allow for bigger prints. A 3.2 megapixel camera *will* print 8x10's, but obviously a 4 megapixel camera will make them a bit easier.

-lag time - find a camera that has is as close to instantaneous as possible, although you can get used to pressing the button and waiting one full second for the picture to be taken, it is VERY HARD to hold your hand still for that long

-size - make sure that it fits your style (and hands). If it is too big you will not take it everywhere you might want to.

-color - (not of the camera) make sure the colors that the camera sees are pretty darn close to the colors you see

and there are others, but these are some of the top concerns. Check out the website, it has great reviews and the forums are full of great advice, and for the most part, very helpful people.

And perhaps the most important bit of advice, no matter how good the camera is, the user is the most vital element in the process. Learn the ins and outs of the camer, and enjoy picture taking.

(I am currently an amateur photographer with the goal of going professional. I use a Sony F717 - 5 megapixel camera.)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:12 AM   #5
Craptacular
College Starter

I want one of the Canon or Nikon digital SLRs.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:29 AM   #6
rwprice
n00b

I recently made this leap myself. As others have said, I think the two big things to look for are megapixels and optical zoom. If you're familiar with film cameras and know what a particular size lens can do, then you can compare this to the digital cameras. For example, I was used to using a 200 mm zoom lens on my film SLR. So, when I looked at digital cameras, I wanted to get at least a 200 mm zoom. Most digitals will give equivalents to film focal lengths.

Also, how much control do want over your pictures? If you want to be able to manually control things like aperature, shutter speed, focus, etc, then that will drive you to a different camera.

Kam is right about lag time. That one by itself could cause you to become disappointed with your new camera, so be sure to check this in the cameras you're considering.

www.dpreview.com is a fantastic site with a lot of detailed information. It also hosts forums for all the major manufacturers. If you spend some time there, you'll be glad you did.

By the way, I ended up with a Nikon Coolpix 5700. I wanted SLR-like control, but I wasn't willing to pay for a digital SLR. The price was high, though--$1,000, but I'm very happy so far.

Good luck!
rwprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 12:54 PM   #7
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

rwprice, I initially had a Sony F707. I was able to sell it for a good price and spent time deciding between the Sony 717 and the Nikon 5700. The major problem I had with the Nikon was the size. It felt too small for my hands (I think my hands are of pretty average size, but maybe not).

Have you found the size of the camera to be a problem?

The Sony F717 is only $800, but if you use a 10% off coupon at Dell (you can usually find one at techbargains ) along with a stackable coupon, you could pay less than $700 for it.

Oh, another thing to consider with digital cameras. If you have already invested a fair amount of money in a memory type (compact flash, Sony memory stick, etc.) then finding a camera that can use memory you already own can save you money.
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 03:30 PM   #8
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Could any of you recommend a decent digital cam that I could use for sitting in the stands and getting good pictures of players in the field? What should I be looking for on the zoom for that purpose?
Old 06-09-2003, 08:10 PM   #9
Blackadar
Retired

If you check a lot of review sites, you'll find Olympus consistently ranked as the top brand of digital cameras.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 10:48 PM   #10
rwprice
n00b

Kam, I really like the size of the Nikon 5700, but I agree that it could be an issue if your hands are large. After using a film SLR for many years, I appreciate the small size of the 5700. It makes it easier to carry around with me, and that means I'm more likely to use it. If you can spend some time with one in the store, it would be worth doing.
rwprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:15 AM   #11
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

If you want something usable but not flash try a CASIO EXILIM EX-S2, I bought one last weekend and its great for sending snaps of the kids across the net (which is all I'm planning to use it for).

It was £160 (around $240 I'd guess) and does what it says on the tin ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 05:52 AM   #12
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Re: Digital Camera advice?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Is 3.2 is good enough, since I'm not a serious photographer and am not looking to make 8X10's or larger photos?

You should be fine with a 3.2. While it is not as good as it gets, it is good enough.