Old 06-06-2003, 09:46 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

good luck!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 09:48 PM   #3
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
dude, have a beer
Old 06-06-2003, 09:49 PM   #4
KWhit
Coordinator

Don't get nervous about the tests, dude. It's only your entire future at stake.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 10:29 PM   #5
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Dont worry. You can take the SATs as many times as you can afford.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:40 PM   #6
Philliesfan980
Banned

I wish I knew what I know now when I was younger...

Unless you are a "super-student" and are looking into the big time ivy league schools, I wouldn't worry about it much. Chances are you are an above average student, and will get around 1100 to 1250 and get into a nice school. And don't worry about "Getting into your dream school", chances are you'll transfer once in your college life. Grades in College matter alot more than the ones you'll get in High School. Alot of staffers will take the student from the local , small college with a 3.8 in something than the student from a more elite school with a 2.7.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 11:02 PM   #7
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I got shitfaced the night before my SATs. I never cracked a book to study. I did ok.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:09 PM   #8
bbor
Pro Starter

Good luck eh

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 11:21 PM   #9
TLK
Pro Starter

I took the ACT's 4 times......

and you guessed it......

and to think if I'd of just taken it 12 more times, I could of hit a 36.

TLK
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 11:32 PM   #10
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I went to my high school rivalry game the night before I took the ACT's.

I ended up not so sober(MJ), stayed up all night watching Cheech & Chong marathons on Comedy Central. I ended up taking the test and getting a grant because of my score(in MI). My friend who was with me the whole night, totally sober, fell asleep partway through the exam and scored an 18.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 12:18 AM   #11
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I suffered a concussion the night before the SAT (HS football game) & a broken nose. I took 'em anyway & scored a 1300. I've yet to secure a decgree in the decade since that test, so...well, it's really only what you make of it.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 12:25 AM   #12
Happy29
In The Penalty Box

Location: To reveal my location, you must decipher a series of traps, each more deadly than the last.
Good Luck!
Happy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 01:28 AM   #13
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
I got shitfaced the night before my SATs. I never cracked a book to study. I did ok.

that sounds about right
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:00 AM   #14
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I took the ACT twice and got the exact same score (23) both times other than my elgish and reading scores switched. (25&26)
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 08:57 AM   #15
revrew
Team Chaplain

Did you take the PSAT?

Pointless, only vaguely related story alert...
When I was visiting colleges, I went to the University of Miami to check out the campus. It was one of my leading candidates, but UMiami is actually a PRIVATE school and costs like an Ivy Leaguer. But I had done well on the tests, was valedictorian, class president, yada-yada-yada, and couldn't understand why Miami, who had accepted my app., hadn't offered me a scholarship.

In the admissions office, I asked them about it, since I knew I met their qualifications for a full-tuition scholarship. The lady pulled my file and said, "But you only got a 1250 on your SAT."

"Ma'am, I've never taken the SAT. I went to school in Iowa, and the ACT is more predominant there."

"Well, what's this 1250?"

"That's my PSAT projected score. I don't know how you got a hold of that."

"Oh. Well, what did you get on the ACT?"

"I got a 33, Ma'am."

You should have seen her jump! She almost ran on her way into her boss's office to "discuss" something. Made me feel like I had just announced I was the crown prince of Buldavia or something. Oh, yeah, I'm the B-MOC now, baby!

Anyways, it was one of those "you had to be there moments", but I still laugh when I remember that lady's eyes bulging out. I ended up going to a different school, and thus ends the pointless, only slightly related story.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 09:41 AM   #16
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Just need to relax...I pulled a DraftDodger before my SAT's and still managed a 1390...those tests are more about your ability to analyze and rule out the obvious wrong answers than it is straight knowledge
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 10:01 AM   #17
Easy Mac

The SAT's are for bragging rights over your friends. I finished each section in 10 minutes and had the highest score the school had had in 5 years.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 10:12 AM   #18
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Easy,

You only scored so high on the test because your roommate didn't have time to have sex on it
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 10:21 AM   #19
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Have they made the SATs easier since the '80s? I mean, I'm sure all you fellers are all a lot smarter than the average bear, but back in my day 1250 would've been anything but guaranteed, and a 1390 would've made you Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius.

Then again, I do live in Oregon. If you break 900 around these parts, you're likely to get a parade down Foster street, and they might flash your noggin on the picture box!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 10:30 AM   #20
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Two quick SAT stories:

One is that I had a track meet the night before I took mine. I was suppossed to be home by like 8 so I could get a good nights sleep but there were two rain delays and they refused to cancel it. I ended up getting home at like 10:30 and exhausted from running two races. I ended up doing better than I had done on my PSATs with a 1480. On this point, would you guys recommend I retake the SATs. I got a 760 on math which was a difference of two freaking questions. I guess it's more or less luck if I can go in and get those two questions right. The only reason I really want to retake it is because at Rutgers you need a 1500 for the full ride and although I don't plan on going there, I can use the aid to show other schools that I can get it at Rutgers and hope they will rework the package.

The second note is more of a rant. The ETS, company who makes the SAT, releases scores early but you have to pay $13. I don't really have a problem with this because if people will pay for it, might as well make money, but the people who pay for it really get me mad. It's different if you're a senior who needs to rush scores to your school but for a junior to pay is just absurd. All my friends brought their cell phones to school so they could call and get their score early like it was going to change in one week. Is is that important that people would waste money to find a score which is not going to change. I'm just boggled as to why anyone would pay $13 to do this.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 10:30 AM   #21
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by vexroid
I took the ACT twice and got the exact same score (23) both times other than my elgish and reading scores switched. (25&26)

luckily, in Oklahoma a low score in Elgish can be offset by your performance in Gas Huffing.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:43 AM   #22
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by lcjjdnh
I ended up doing better than I had done on my PSATs with a 1480. On this point, would you guys recommend I retake the SATs.

If you got a 1480, the only advice you should accept from me is concerning Banquet frozen dinners.

on second thought, U SHOULD TOTALLY TAKE TEH SATS AGIN D00D!!!!11
Old 06-07-2003, 11:08 AM   #23
sooner333
College Starter

Good luck on the tests. I never took the SAT, so I dont' know what that's like, except for the PSAT. I never really was as good at that format. I didn't do so hot on the SAT II's, but did pretty well on the ACT (33). The thing I really don't get is how the two tests can be "standardized" but you can get very different results on the two depending on strengths and weaknesses...I guess it goes to show how unreliable the tests really are. That being said, I think we need them because of things like grade inflation at the high school level and the overall level of difficulty that it takes to compare thousands of students.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 11:16 AM   #24
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by thesloppy
luckily, in Oklahoma a low score in Elgish can be offset by your performance in Gas Huffing.

whoops
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 11:21 AM   #25
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Have they made the SATs easier since the '80s? I mean, I'm sure all you fellers are all a lot smarter than the average bear, but back in my day 1250 would've been anything but guaranteed, and a 1390 would've made you Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius.

They rescaled the scores in the mid 90's a year or two after I took the test. A 1250 might be the equivalent of a 1100 from when we took the test (a guess, but I believe approximately right).
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 11:44 AM   #26
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah, as it was pointed out above, they changed the scaling a little and they got rid of types of questions. Ex. When my brother and sister took the tests there were antonym analogies to go along with synonyms.

I was regularly scoring around 1420-1450 when I was studying for them (about 4 years ago now), but when I took a copy of one of their practice tests, I got around a 1300. So take that for what its worth...

I read somewhere that they are trying to make the test harder. I think (soon) they will be adding a writing section, if they haven't already.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 11:58 AM   #27
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Masked
They rescaled the scores in the mid 90's a year or two after I took the test. A 1250 might be the equivalent of a 1100 from when we took the test (a guess, but I believe approximately right).

Ah-ha! I just regained 5% of my confidence.

Handy conversion chart

Interesting to note that handing in a blank test before 1996 is somehow equivalent to 430 now.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:01 PM   #28
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I juat want to say that one of the most boring things that I have to do give the SATs. You sit around and watch all these nervous kids taking tests for 3 hours on a Saturday morning. You are not allowed to do anything but watch them.

I would turn it down, but it pays very well (at least in this part of the world).
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 01:24 PM   #29
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I didn't know about the "new" scoring system. I'll have to change the tatoo on my forehead to read 1360 instead of 1300.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:01 PM   #30
Vince
Pro Starter

Slightly off-topic story:

My best friend Jonathan and I were horribly competitive in High School, and he was always just a little bit better than me. It pissed me off. We both got our SAT scored back the same day, and he got a 1460 to my 1450, even though he missed more questions than I did ( @ different weights for the math section). Anyhow, we went to take the SAT II on the same day, and at the end of the test there was a Writing section. The topic was "Write about a time when you were following in someone's footsteps and were excited to attempt to surpass them, but nervous about falling short." Well, I had a hard time thinking of a topic, but finally I decided upon one. Both my grandfather and my father went to the same High School as I did, a Jesuit Private all-guys high school (yup, it was entertaining), and you had to take a test to get in. The whole time leading up to the test my family was grilling me, trying to see if I could beat my dad's score of 94 out of 99 (I did, with a 97). Anyway, that's what I wrote my story on.

I get out of the test, and find Jonathan, and ask him how he thinks he did.

Jon: "I did alright, I don't know about that writing section though."
Me: "Really? What'd you write about?"
Jon: "Well, that's never really happened to me, so I wrote about how you had to follow in your father's footsteps to get into Bellarmine [our High School], and I pretended I was you."

I was surprised...I didn't know what to say to that. But there wasn't much to do except for wait until the scores came back weeks later. Well, they finally came back, and it was the same old story, with a new twist. Jonathan had managed to write a story about my life better than I could, and outscored me on the writing section of the SAT II. Quite ridiculous...but I find it quite humorous now.

EDIT: Good luck on the tests dude! The best piece of advice I can give you is to relax...it's so much easier to take standardized tests like that when you aren't so stressed out.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 06-07-2003 at 02:03 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:52 PM   #31
tucker342
Pro Starter

well, the SATs went pretty well today... one test down, one to go...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:55 PM   #32
tucker342
Pro Starter

dola-

thanks for the advice guys... I actually really wasn't that nervous. I don't believe I have another test next week...
Old 06-07-2003, 04:26 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

All I did was do the tests that came with the SAT and ACT booklets.

Maybe it's just me, but the ACT was exceptionally easy and somewhat flawed: my english score was my highest and math one of my lowest. The SAT was another matter, tho, I do remember the flap about recentering. I'd still take my best score minus 80. Then again, by the time it was all said and done, I had taken the SAT 4 times (7th grade, 10th grade, PSAT, 11th grade).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 07:57 PM   #34
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Honestly, don't worry about them at all. I scored a 1380 and my mom made me take them again, so I went hungover with about 4 hours of sleep and received a 1540. Of course, I'm going to UMass, so make sure you study hard and not just rely on good test scores if you're planning to go to a prestigious school.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 08:28 PM   #35
tucker342
Pro Starter

I'm planning to go to Iowa... so ya... they make it seem like it's the most important thing in your life, which really pisses me off.