Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

July console sales numbers, Volume 2........

Console sales numbers for the United States as reported by NPD...

Wii - 425,000
DS - 405,000
PS2 - 222,000
PSP - 214,000
360 - 170,000
PS3 - 159,000
GBA - 87,000

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-29-2007 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Changed title to appeal to the masses
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More news out of Leipzig.......

Haze is no longer a timed console exclusive. It will now be released solely on the PS3 and PC with no 360 version planned. (I'd post the article, but it's in German.)

Also, here's the combined July sales numbers for the U.S. and Japan (Europe numbers not out yet).........

Quote:
Wii:
us - 425,000
ca - 36,419
ja - 335,307
total - 796,726

PS3:
us - 159,000
ca - 15,037
ja - 78,798
total - 252,835

Xbox 360:
us - 170,000
ca - 13,119
ja - 12,169
total - 195,288

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-24-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony response to North American sales numbers......

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/0...efeats-truman/

Quote:
This just in from video-game reporting headquarters: Sony may be a consumer electronics giant, but its public relations folks aren’t so powerful when it comes to prognostication. Yesterday, said spinsters made a bold prediction about sales figures for video game consoles that were due out today. Sony said it was confident the figures would show that in July its PlayStation 3 outsold the Xbox 360, made by its chief rival, Microsoft.
The actual figures from NPD Group, a market research firm, did not bear this out. Sony came in third, behind the still piping-hot Nintendo Wii and Sony’s aforementioned chief thorn-in-side, Microsoft.

For the record, NPD reported domestic sales of 425,000 Nintendo Wiis, 170,000 Xbox 360s and 159,000 PlayStation 3s in July. Dave Karraker, the Sony spokesman who predicted the PS3 would overtake the 360, told me that: (1) He was only wrong by a bit, and (2) NPD doesn’t provide an exact count but estimates some portions of the market and (3) No, he would not care to make a prediction about August’s sales figures.

The results, in fairness to Sony, do represent a marked improvement relative to Microsoft. In June, PS3 sales were roughly half of Xbox 360’s 200,000.

Could it be that Sony’s price cut has shaken loose consumer demand?
While Microsoft and Sony battled it out for second place in the next-generation console competition, Nintendo continues to ride its less powerful processor, simpler graphics and gyration-inspiring game controller to fad-defying results. Nintendo’s July sales bested its June figures by around 50,000 units, further stumping analysts and video game software companies who keep waiting for the Wii to peter out.
At this point, predicting a quick demise for the Wii might not be the wisest maneuver; it’s something even the folks at Sony wouldn’t attempt — at least not this month.

P.S. The overall game market is on the mend, in a big way. Through July, domestic sales of hardware, software and accessories were $7 billion, up from $5 billion for the first seven months of 2006, NPD reported.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bioware responds to display problem complaints from 360 owners that play on SDTV's.

Quote:
We understand there has been some concern about the implementation of widescreen mode in BioShock. Hopefully, we can clarify how we’ve chosen to do this.

The first thing we want to make clear is the mode we developed the game on and the optimal mode for playing the game is the widescreen mode. 90% of our development stations were widescreen displays: artists, programmers and designers.

- BioShock was primarily developed and tuned for widescreen mode. Artists and designers worked with widescreen displays and chose a field of view (FOV) that best reflected their intentions with respect to the way the world is perceived, the perceived speed of movement of the player relative to the world and the amount of the world they wanted to be viewed for the best game-play experience. We went through dozens of iterations and finally settled upon a widescreen aspect ratio that best suited the gameplay experience.

- When playing in widescreen modes the game makes use of the full screen resolution, and does not crop or stretch a lower resolution image into a wide screen one. For example, at 720p the game renders natively to the full 1280×720 resolution.

- Once this FOV was established, we chose to keep exactly the same horizontal FOV for standard def displays, so as not to in any way alter the gameplay experience.

- Instead of cropping the FOV for 4:3 displays and making all 4:3 owners mad in doing so, we slightly extended the vertical FOV for standard def mode: we never wanted to have black bars on people’s displays. (This way, everybody is happy…) This does mean that people playing on a standard def display see slightly more vertical space, but, this does not significantly affect the game-play experience and, we felt that it best served our goal of keeping the game experience as close as possible to the original design and art vision on both types of displays. Reports of the widescreen FOV being a crop of the 4:3 FOV are completely false.

One thing we can assure you that all these decisions were made with the best interests of the game in mind. We didn’t save any money or development time by choosing this set of parameters. We did what we thought was the best thing for the game: developing and optimizing it for widescreen displays, and making the decision not to do the usual crop for 4:3 displays. As a consumer, you certainly have the right to disagree.

We understand that not all users might not be happy with these choices and we will be looking into options for allowing users to adjust FOV settings manually. But as we mentioned earlier, changes to video game code do not happen in minutes or hours. We appreciate your understanding.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am one of the 170,000 XBOX360s!!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
Booj
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I am one of the 170,000 XBOX360s!!

I'm one of the 13,000 in Canada.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
Anthony
Banned

i don't believe those DS and PS2 numbers are accurate. there is no way that many people are still buying a console that is over a decade old. what kid is asking for a PS2 - they want the latest and greatest.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i don't believe those DS and PS2 numbers are accurate. there is no way that many people are still buying a console that is over a decade old. what kid is asking for a PS2 - they want the latest and greatest.

The DS numbers are probably accurate. That thing flies off the shelves, especially in certain colors. Someday you will have a little HA and will learn the joy of Pokemon.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Hell, they're still selling 87,000 GBA's. That's some serious sales for a system that's been replaced by an even more popular DS system.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Sure, nobody's buying a PS2 for their teenager. Hell, those kids probably already have PS2. Maybe a parent will buy one for a 6-year-old kid or something, though. The parent sees a PS2 for $150 or whatever it costs and this metric buttload of games at $20 apiece. On top of that, not only does the kid have games to play, but the parent will probably find some cheap games to play on it, too.

For anyone who finally wants to get into playing video games, the PS2 is a perfect place to start if they're on a budget. Even if someone can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a next-gen console, many Wii games are $50, and new 360/PS3 games are generally $60. I'd think that a lot of people want to build up a library of cheaper games that'll provide just as much entertainment.

I can't speak for the 200k+ people who bought a PS2 in August or July or whenever this was, but if my wife didn't already have a PS2, I probably would've bought one within the past few months, just because there are so many games out there.

We've just never seen anything like the PS2 before. Games are still coming out for it, and I hear that they're really good games, too. If somebody loves video games and can afford to put money toward that hobby, is there any reason not to have a PS2 in your home at this point?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #11
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Hell, they're still selling 87,000 GBA's. That's some serious sales for a system that's been replaced by an even more popular DS system.
Dola

Yeah, it's the GBA sales that I really don't understand. Why are people still buying them? I have a good friend who programs homebrew stuff for the GBA, but there aren't that many people out there who want it for that purpose.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There are thousands of GBA titles, it's really no suprise how many units still sell. I believe the new Micro one is around 50-60 bucks, for parents who want to get their kids something cheap, it's great. Of course the DS is a ton better, but not everyone wants to drop 130 bucks so their kids can play some games.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #13
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
There are thousands of GBA titles, it's really no suprise how many units still sell. I believe the new Micro one is around 50-60 bucks, for parents who want to get their kids something cheap, it's great. Of course the DS is a ton better, but not everyone wants to drop 130 bucks so their kids can play some games.

A lot of parents are very uninformed too. I recall a conversation between a mom and kid at EB once going something like this:

Kid: "But mom, if I get this one (DS) I can play Mario (some GBA game he was holding) and these other games too (referring to DS games)."

Mom: "That one costs more money. You can play your Mario game on this one (GBA), so you're getting this one."
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Console sales numbers for the United States as reported by NPD...

Wii - 425,000
DS - 405,000
PS2 - 222,000
PSP - 214,000
360 - 170,000
PS3 - 159,000
GBA - 87,000

425k Wii's sold this past month and I STILL can't find one on my store shelves?
Glad I've had my pink DSL for awhile.

Next console purchases will likely be a PS3 and a PSP2000. Probably the latter first, there need to be some games worth playing on the PS3 for me to buy that.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I work with lots of poor families that can't afford a PS3/360/Wii who have told me that they are buying/have bought a PS2 this year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

Also, I see plenty of people at work whose "fat" PS2's have either given up the ghost, or have one or two fingers still holding on. They come in looking at a PS3, see the $499 price tag, look at the slim PS2 at $129 and go "Y'know...that'll tide us over for a couple years."

Happens every day.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Also, I see plenty of people at work whose "fat" PS2's have either given up the ghost, or have one or two fingers still holding on. They come in looking at a PS3, see the $499 price tag, look at the slim PS2 at $129 and go "Y'know...that'll tide us over for a couple years."

Happens every day.

I've STILL got my 'fat' PS2 from the release day. Just keeps running. I use it for GH games right now.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #18
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've STILL got my 'fat' PS2 from the release day. Just keeps running. I use it for GH games right now.

My release model died after 3 years. I'm on my 3rd one (bought earlier this year.) I'm sure that accounts for some of the PS2 sales as well.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #19
MJ4H
Coordinator

My fat PS2 still works fine, too. Got it a couple of months after release. I play GT3 on it from time to time.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #20
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

My release day fat PS2 still works fine too...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Mine conked out in early 2002, but the fat I got in January '02 is still workin' like a champ. And, yeah, I use it mostly for Guitar Hero and Disgaea.

You know, though, speaking of Disgaea, I think I finally played a PSP game I'd *like* to see ported to the PS2 last night. Jeanne d'Arc. It's sort of a manga-style reimagining of the Hundred Years' War. turn-based Strategy/RPG, but with a time component - you have a fixed number of turns each battle to achieve victory.

I mean, I'd like to see the port mainly for volume reasons. The manga part of the game isn't subtitled, and the volume can only go so high on the PSP, so I feel like I'm missing part of the story when I play.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #22
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Count me in on release fatty PS2's that are still running strong.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #23
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
My fat PS2 still works fine, too.

Ditto.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #24
bronconick
College Starter

Mine's been going since February '02 as well. I'm one that would probably replace it instead of looking at a 360 or PS3.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #25
spleen1015
Coordinator

My release PS2 would freeze during the GoW cutscenes, so I bought a new silver one and traded the fat into EB.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #26
KWhit
Coordinator

I wanted to bring this fun conversation over to this thread because the July thread is dead...

Mizzou said this:

Quote:
Considering I already complimented this game quite extensively in this thread, is that a good assumption?

About this quote:

Quote:
It's a very good game and will help the 360 without a doubt.

I think my definition of "complimenting it quite extensively" is different than yours. Especially when these are your other posts about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
This evasive answer from a Bioware developer is fueling rumors that a Bioshock PS3 game is already being developed. Likely will only be a timed exclusive for the 360.........

Quote:
Review lead times are getting ridiculous. You wonder how much they rush to be the very first site to review the game at the cost of not fully exploring all of the features of the game. Lair was a similar situation in that it was reviewed 2 weeks before the release date, only to find that it was delayed.
I'm certainly not implying in any way that the early Bioshock scores aren't accurate. I just don't know why sites can't hold off a bit and explore the game more.

Quote:
I agree with you about Lair only because the expectations are ridiculously high. It will still sell quite a few units and will be a good game, but there's no way it could reach the hype.
In regards to niche titles, you could say that about most any games. The 360 is a no purchase for me because I simply don't like FPS games. The big games (Halo, Gears, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Lost Planet) are all in that genre. I think that there a large segment of U.S. users that are nearly exclusively sports and FPS gamers and Microsoft plays to that crowd (I don't think most in this forum are in that segment).
Sony has a huge segment of gamers that are into what those gamers would call 'niche' games. While not overly popular here, there are gamers here in the U.S. that enjoy those games and the overseas gamers absolutely eat them up. There's a reason that Sony is selling extremely well elsewhere despite the higher price. People love those games. Until Sony is able to get the games flowing a bit more and drop the price, the adoption rate is going to be a bit slower in the U.S.

Quote:
Bioshock for the PS3 is quickly becoming the worst-kept secret in the video game industry. Someone dug through the demo code and found multiple PS3 references in the development code. Not sure why the developer left it in there, but they might as well just confirm it's coming. My guess is that MS wants them to hold off to avoid losing any sales to people who own a PS3 or are still trying to decide which console to get.

Quote:
I posted that it likely would be coming to the PS3 a couple of months ago. I was just following that up with more information. There's a separate thread discussing the demo I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Guys on OS pointed this out and sure enough I just checked my box. The Bioshock box says right on the front that the game is only on the PC and 360. It doesn't have a disclaimer that says "right now" or any other sort. Therefore, I seriously doubt Bioshock will ever come to the PS3. It was originally slated for the PS3 (before MS reportedly gave 2k a large sum of money to support development) in 06 which might also explain that bit of code being left in which fueled this rumor.

When the developers were asked about it, they gave the 'we just want to concentrate on the current development platforms' answer without any absolute denial. Certainly not confirmation, but definitely not denial either. I'd be floored if this game wasn't out for the PS3 by the holidays next year, if not sooner. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Actually, the developers have already shot this down. The code was developed on the unreal engine and that code has references to the PS3. Maybe this is just them covering their asses, until they are allowed to announce a PS3 version, but this "evidence" has already been shot down. I'm willing to bet that if MS has the developers holding off on announcing a PS3 version until after Christmas that this game will be part of the reason for a nice boost to 360 sales.

I don't think there's any question that they're covering their a$$ on this. With that said, it won't come out until next spring at the very earliest. It's a very good game and will help the 360 without a doubt. I spoke to someone who had preview/review copies of both Halo 3 and Bioshock and they said that Halo 3 may sell more games due to name alone, but that he had no doubt that Bioshock was the better game.

Quote:
Bioware responds to display problem complaints from 360 owners that play on SDTV's.

Quote:
We understand there has been some concern about the implementation of widescreen mode in BioShock. Hopefully, we can clarify how we’ve chosen to do this. ETC....

So we're talking about the best reviewed game in recent memory (maybe ever) and your only comments about it have been either:
  • This game is being reviewed way too early (aka-don't believe the hype).
  • This is TOTALLY coming out on the PS3! (no need to buy a 360 to play it)
  • Widesreen is nerfed.
I am now convinced that you are a paid Sony messageboard marketer.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #27
SackAttack
Head Coach

BioWare?

Methinks somebody's a wee bit confused there.

Bioshock is many things, but an RPG ain't one of 'em.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #28
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
BioWare?

Whatchoo talkin bout Willis?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #29
Coder
College Prospect

BioWare isn't the maker of BioShock.. BioWare is, on the other hand, makers of Mass Effect, a highly anticipated title coming this fall if I'm not completely mistaken without checking my notes.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #30
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Actually I disagree with this wholeheartedly, DS's are really popular with kids and indeed a fair few adults.

The PS-2 is still very much in demand for kids, my kids (13, 8, 4 years old) would prefer me to get him a PS-2 rather than a PS-3 simply because they doesn't like many of the next gen console games (that goes for a 360 also incidentally).

This is I'd expect often the case, factor in that kids can get a lot more games for their pocket money with a PS-2 and you'll see why they're still popular choices imho ...

*I've been trying to persuade myself to get another 360 since I emigrated but apart from the LiveArcade stuff there is only one game which truly appealed to me on the platform ... and I got Overlord on PC ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #31
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

Gotta run so I can't elaborate, but look at your final Mizzou quote, then read Coder's (accurate) post. That should clear it up.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It was Mizzou BB Fan who referred to it as a Bioware title in one of the quotes of his that you posted. Also, I agree with your conclusion.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #33
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So we're talking about the best reviewed game in recent memory (maybe ever) and your only comments about it have been either:
  • This game is being reviewed way too early (aka-don't believe the hype).
  • This is TOTALLY coming out on the PS3! (no need to buy a 360 to play it)
  • Widesreen is nerfed.
I am now convinced that you are a paid Sony messageboard marketer.

That would be a great assumption if anything you just said in the above quote were what I said.

My comments on being reviewed early were not Bioshock specific. I specifically went out of my way to state that I wasn't implying that the Bioshock review was inaccurate in any way, only that the review of games far before release was a troubling trend, which several people agreed with.

I never stated that people should not buy a 360. I'm not sure why being excited about a game coming out on all systems now qualifies as a knock on the 360. All PS3 owners would love to have Bioshock right now, but that's not happening. With that said, I'm not sure why there's such angst toward PS3 owners being excited to get it in a few months.

I posted the situation about Bioshock's widescreen issue because I know there are some people on this forum that have a 360 on a SDTV. I fail to see how letting them know about the situation is a problem. I'm personally glad that people posted information about the slow frame rates in the EA Sports games because it saved me from the possibility of purchasing an inferior game. You can be sure that I didn't bitch that they were Microsoft paid marketers.

I suppose that posting the comments from the SCEA president this morning with his weak response about the sales figures was another shameless Sony promotion. You don't have to like the stuff I post. If you see stuff that causes concerns or gives information about Sony or MS products, you should post it as well. It adds to the discussion.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Gotta run so I can't elaborate, but look at your final Mizzou quote, then read Coder's (accurate) post. That should clear it up.

Yes, I obviously mismatched companies. My mistake.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #35
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
That would be a great assumption if anything you just said in the above quote were what I said.

My comments on being reviewed early were not Bioshock specific. I specifically went out of my way to state that I wasn't implying that the Bioshock review was inaccurate in any way, only that the review of games far before release was a troubling trend, which several people agreed with.

I never stated that people should not buy a 360. I'm not sure why being excited about a game coming out on all systems now qualifies as a knock on the 360. All PS3 owners would love to have Bioshock right now, but that's not happening. With that said, I'm not sure why there's such angst toward PS3 owners being excited to get it in a few months.

I posted the situation about Bioshock's widescreen issue because I know there are some people on this forum that have a 360 on a SDTV. I fail to see how letting them know about the situation is a problem. I'm personally glad that people posted information about the slow frame rates in the EA Sports games because it saved me from the possibility of purchasing an inferior game. You can be sure that I didn't bitch that they were Microsoft paid marketers.

I suppose that posting the comments from the SCEA president this morning with his weak response about the sales figures was another shameless Sony promotion. You don't have to like the stuff I post. If you see stuff that causes concerns or gives information about Sony or MS products, you should post it as well. It adds to the discussion.

All in all, there has been nothing wrong with the individual items that you have posted about Bioshock. It's just the one-sidedness of it all. You can point to a post here or there where you don't bash the 360 or its games, but they're the .01% of your posts about the console war. It's just so transparent that it's hysterical. I honestly think you're a paid shill.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #36
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
BioWare?

Ah. Gotcha. I never noticed that.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #37
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
All in all, there has been nothing wrong with the individual items that you have posted about Bioshock. It's just the one-sidedness of it all. You can point to a post here or there where you don't bash the 360 or its games, but they're the .01% of your posts about the console war. It's just so transparent that it's hysterical. I honestly think you're a paid shill.

This is why I pretty much quit reading these threads about a month ago. Mizzou's posts are predictable and people seem to bite at each one of them. The threads went from decent discussion to an endless cylce of fanboyisms and contradictions.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #38
KWhit
Coordinator

Yeah. I am in the market for a new console, so I'm interested in the news, but he's turned me off the PS3 pretty much single-handedly.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #39
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Hey I just bought my PS2 a month or two ago.

I'll buy a WII, probably within the next year, but I'm simply not going to throw down serious cash for a game console any time soon. The PS2 numbers show that I'm not alone.

I was in line at Best Buy the other night, and the guy in front of me plunked down a thousand dollars on a PS3 and some games. He then loaded his wife and two young kids into a faded 15 year old Buick, and drove home. My reaction "What the hell is he thinking throwing down a grand on a video console? He has clearly got better things he could be spending his money on" I'm in reasonably good financial position, but no way I can justify that kind of expense.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 08-24-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #40
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah. I am in the market for a new console, so I'm interested in the news, but he's turned me off the PS3 pretty much single-handedly.

LOL......if you seriously had your decision changed by a guy posting a bunch of news/discussion about consoles, you seriously need to reevaluate your decision-making processes. I can honestly say that I enjoy reading all of the point/counterpoints, but making that kind of a decision based on this kind of a thread is borderline nutty.

The only decisions I would use this thread for are game decisions where you find out there are major glitches in a game.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-25-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #41
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Very interesting that you didn't say a thing about the fact that I've posted a lot of things that were just as critical of Sony, their PR and some of their games. Your criticisms are just as transparently biased. If you're going to make a tally list, at least do it well.

Methinks Sony would toss my ass to the curb because I'm the worst paid shill ever given the criticism I've handed out against them. I don't think either side is doing a very good job right now over. MS should have put a dagger in this console war already given Sony's slow start. Sony had one of the worst console launches since Neo-Geo (and that's saying something). It's a Dumb and Dumber war.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #42
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
LOL......if you seriously had your decision changed by a guy posting a bunch of news/discussion about consoles, you seriously need to reevaluate your decision-making processes.

Seriously?

Well, thanks for the advice, but I can use whatever I want in my buying decisions. One of my main turn-offs toward Sony is their marketing strategy - which up until this point has included lies, lies, and more lies from official Sony executives, fake blogs, offensive YouTube videos, dead goat carcasses, and I suspect, paid messageboard fanbois.

My continued loss of respect for Sony has definitely contributed to my decision-making process.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #43
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
LOL......if you seriously had your decision changed by a guy posting a bunch of news/discussion about consoles, you seriously need to reevaluate your decision-making processes...but making that kind of a decision based on this kind of a thread is borderline nutty.

Really? I use this board for a lot of things and one of them is getting advice from everyone regarding the advantages and disadvantages of certain products. All input helps.

It almost sounds like you doth protest too much regarding Kwhit's assertion about you being a paid fanboi. Just an observation.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #44
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, c'mon. As much as I know you guys love hitting the Mizzou BB Fan pinata, this is just borderline stupid. Before KWhit clarified his statement, claiming that "I base my buying decisions on the fact that I don't like one person on a message board" is just ludicrous.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #45
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
It almost sounds like you doth protest too much regarding Kwhit's assertion about you being a paid fanboi. Just an observation.

It's an assertion (at least the Sony fanboy part of it) that a lot of people here have made. And every time they do, he comes back with the same "but I've been critical of Sony too!" response. He doesn't get that we are not buying his act. He posts the occasional bad thing about Sony or the occasional good thing about Microsoft to try and appear unbiased, but 9 times out of 10, his posts easily fall under "good spin for Sony" and/or "bad spin for MS".

He hasn't single-handedly made it so that I don't want a PS3 (I will once it has some good games), but he has single-handedly made it pretty much impossible to discuss consoles on this forum.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #46
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Oh, c'mon. As much as I know you guys love hitting the Mizzou BB Fan pinata, this is just borderline stupid. Before KWhit clarified his statement, claiming that "I base my buying decisions on the fact that I don't like one person on a message board" is just ludicrous.

SI

I stopped buying Sterling Ice Cream products because I hate you, so it does happen.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #47
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I stopped buying Sterling Ice Cream products because I hate you, so it does happen.

(wait, there's such a thing as "Sterling Ice Cream"?)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-25-2007 at 01:08 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #48
MikeVic
Head Coach

VOTE MIZZOU B-BALL FAN

Sorry, I'm staying out of these threads now but couldn't resist.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #49
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

SI

Agreed, If a person on a messageboard is going to prevent you from using a product you're going to live a helluva sheltered life cause if you think Mizzou is bad, there are thousands of forums out there with millions of people who are much worse.

As much as everyone would like to blame one person, these threads are train-wrecks because everyone cries they're unbiased while making completely biased statements (or enough statements about a particular side that it's obvious they're biased).
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #50
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

(wait, there's such a thing as "Sterling Ice Cream"?)

SI

A company called Sterling makes ice cream stuff, like freezers. Or at least used to. Dunno if they are still around.

Found this on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23627728@N00/170215546/