Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Who from your favorite team will be on the Mitchell Report?

Reds...

Not sure if they'll show up but I definitely think Boone used and I think Larkin did for at least one season. I don't think he did but I wouldn't be shocked if Griffey's name showed up.

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

Worst thread ever
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Mitchell Report is about as fraudulent as Bud Selig.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Don't know, Don't care.

And "". to what Dark Cloud said.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
The Mitchell Report is about as fraudulent as Bud Selig.

Selig isn't fraudulent. He's exactly the dumb, self-serving jerk he appears to be.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That only took 4 posts for Dark Cloud and Crapshoot to come out with their heads-up-their-ass stance. So predictable
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That only took 4 posts for Dark Cloud and Crapshoot to come out with their heads-up-their-ass stance. So predictable

About as long as it took you to come with the "I'm an old self-righteous fart" bit.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Astros=Everyone

Crapshoots team=Everyone

MLB=Everyone
Old 12-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
miami_fan
Coordinator

Who knows who did it, but a couple of things are clear.

The good guys who did it only did because of injuries.

The bad guys who did it only did it to cheat the game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Who knows who did it, but a couple of things are clear.

The good guys who did it only did because of injuries.

The bad guys who did it only did it to cheat the game.

your forgeting, the good guys are the ones the press take turns blowing. the "bad guys" are the ones that dont get along with the press much
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

As a Cubs fan, I'll just say Sosa and let anyone else be a suprise :P
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

Depends on how far back this goes, but some names I would suspect to see are Brian Giles, Kevin Young, Jay Bell, and Jeff King.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #13
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Is this actually getting released?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #14
MrBug708
Head Coach

Gagne probably juiced
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't expect to see many names. My guess is six to eight total. Just enough to show that baseball is "serious".

I'd guess Brett Boone and probably Aaron as well. I disagree about Larkin. I really doubt it with Griffey. If any of the pitchers were, they didn't get their money's worth.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #16
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't expect to see many names. My guess is six to eight total. Just enough to show that baseball is "serious".

I'd guess Brett Boone and probably Aaron as well. I disagree about Larkin. I really doubt it with Griffey. If any of the pitchers were, they didn't get their money's worth.

It's been stated that every team will be affected in some way. I have no doubt Larkin used in '96 but I think the whole league was at that point.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #17
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am going to go out on a limb and say none of the current Marlins will be on the list.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Burrell, Abreu, Lieberthal, Randy Wolf, David Bell, Jose Fucking Mesa, Lidle(rip)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #19
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Astros=Everyone

Bite me! It was only Caminiti, dammit!

I'm gonna throw myself off a bridge when it comes out that Bags juiced

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #20
Anthony
Banned

Mike Piazza and Ivan Rodriguez for sure.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #21
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Steve Balboni
Old 12-08-2007, 12:31 AM   #22
korme
Go Reds

Ronnie Gant
Old 12-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #23
lungs
Pro Rookie

I don't know if he'll be in the report or not, but I know for a fact that a certain former rookie of the year did one cycle of steroids. A family member of mine went to high school with him and is good friends with him to this day. Let's just say he'll be set for life, but won't be getting a big contract anytime soon.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I don't know if he'll be in the report or not, but I know for a fact that a certain former rookie of the year did one cycle of steroids. A family member of mine went to high school with him and is good friends with him to this day. Let's just say he'll be set for life, but won't be getting a big contract anytime soon.

Damn you, Jerome Walton and Chris Sabo!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #25
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
It's been stated that every team will be affected in some way. I have no doubt Larkin used in '96 but I think the whole league was at that point.

But I doubt they'll name a lot of players. The liability for doing so would be extreme. If they don't ave a confession or iron clad evidence they would be foolish to list one-hundred names of "probable" users. It would take about a day to get a few billion dollars worth of defamation lawsuits.

Of course I also have a hard time believing that baseball will really come clean. It seems so against their nature.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #26
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Damn you, Jerome Walton and Chris Sabo!

SI

haha, nope.

think last decade or so.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #27
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
haha, nope.

think last decade or so.

And the winner is Ben Grieve.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #28
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Hinske?
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #29
lungs
Pro Rookie

Both are logical guesses and one is correct.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #30
MrBug708
Head Coach

One of my employees went to school with both of the Sweeney brothers and said they were on the juice
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #31
korme
Go Reds

Scott Williamson!?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #32
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

<-----Cardinals fan

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Mark McGwire might show up on the list.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #33
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I'm gonna throw myself off a bridge IF it comes out that Bags juiced

Fixed. He was my favourite player for awhile because of his stance, OBP, SB, HR power, etc. I really hope he's clean.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #34
sooner333
College Starter

Giants: Bonds, Santiago, Felix Rodriguez wouldn't shock me, Galaragga, maybe Kent (though he doesn't have the body).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #35
JeeberD
General Manager

Galaragga? No way. Not unless you think the entire Rockies organization 'roided up (which I suppose is entirely possible)...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #36
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Giants: Bonds, Santiago, Felix Rodriguez wouldn't shock me, Galaragga, maybe Kent (though he doesn't have the body).

Bobby Estalella. Not that it did any good.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #37
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Galaragga? No way. Not unless you think the entire Rockies organization 'roided up (which I suppose is entirely possible)...

After his cancer with the Giants. He comes to the Giants with all these old guys who are having resurrections (Santiago, for instance) one year and he starts doing well again. Just seems odd.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #38
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Each of the Blake Street Bombers, from what I have heard (which went back to 1995).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #39
rowech
Pro Starter

It's interesting to see some names of guys who I might not have thought about. Bagwell will be very interesting to me. I really hope he's not on there but I have a feeling he might very well be.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #40
sooner333
College Starter

BTW, I don't know how anything else can explain when Brady Anderson hit 50 home runs in a season.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #41
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
BTW, I don't know how anything else can explain when Brady Anderson hit 50 home runs in a season.

That season is either the year it was at it's worst or they were playing with a bouncy-ball that season. The homerun numbers for so many guys were just so far off of their career highs prior to that.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:29 AM   #42
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
After his cancer with the Giants. He comes to the Giants with all these old guys who are having resurrections (Santiago, for instance) one year and he starts doing well again. Just seems odd.

His first year back was in 2000 with the Braves where he had a better than expected season with a 122 OPS+. His highest OPS with the Giants was 127. If any year sticks out for Andres, it's the stunning 1998 season with the Braves, when he put together the highest OPS+ of his career at age 37.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #43
KWhit
Coordinator

Andruw Jones.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #44
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

A couple things here - I have no idea if Brady Anderson was on the juice. I'll assume he was, and I'll assume the majority of ballplayers were in the time period. FWIW, Brady Anderson was always a guy who spent a lot of time in the gym and still does. Now, that could either provide more "evidence" or not based on what you believe.

To get back to the point of my original comment - I always find the mention of his hitting 50+ homeruns as evidence of steroid use to be bas-ackwards. He went from 16 HRs to 50 and then back to 18 in 1997. Are we to assume then he took steroids in 1996 but then stopped in '97 when there was absolutely no change in baseball's policy on testing? While the 50 HRs is an eye opener, to use it as proof-positive of steroid use makes no sense.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #45
Logan
Head Coach

Maybe he realized he was killing himself and his girl was pissed that he couldn't get his dick up and he figured it wasn't worth it anymore?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #46
Ironhead
College Prospect

It seems pretty clear based on statistical analysis that Rafael Belliard was juicing. I mean, his HR/AB jumped from 1 per 2,210 over his first 15 seasons in the league all the way up to 1 per 91 his last 2 seasons. Fuckin' juicer.

Last edited by Ironhead : 12-09-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:57 AM   #47
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
A couple things here - I have no idea if Brady Anderson was on the juice. I'll assume he was, and I'll assume the majority of ballplayers were in the time period. FWIW, Brady Anderson was always a guy who spent a lot of time in the gym and still does. Now, that could either provide more "evidence" or not based on what you believe.

To get back to the point of my original comment - I always find the mention of his hitting 50+ homeruns as evidence of steroid use to be bas-ackwards. He went from 16 HRs to 50 and then back to 18 in 1997. Are we to assume then he took steroids in 1996 but then stopped in '97 when there was absolutely no change in baseball's policy on testing? While the 50 HRs is an eye opener, to use it as proof-positive of steroid use makes no sense.

If it helps, I think the same thing about Larkin. 20 homeruns in 1991 at the age of 27 was his high before. Makes total sense. Then in 1996, at the age of 32, after hitting 15 the year before, he ups it to 33. Probably would have hit 10 the next year had he not been hurt.

It's quite possible something was in the ball in 1996. The bottom line for me is that the players, managers, owners, front offices, Selig, and the rest knew they had to get butts back in the seats after the strike in 1994 and 1996 is when the balls started leaving the yards in ridiculous amounts so maybe everyone and their brother was in on it.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #48
sooner333
College Starter

Forgot about the juiced ball being an explanation.

Another guy who we might suspect did it was Luis Gonzales. I remember one day on the sports radio show here they were kind of just going over a list of guys they thought might or might not have done steroids. They get to Luis Gonzales think yes, but call the afternoon host, Jim Trabor, who did color commentary the year before for the D-Backs. He answers about the other guys, then hmmms and haws over Gonzales saying something like "I don't know whether he did or not, but he's such a family man, trying to do the best thing for his family and if he could get a big contract that would set them for life." Not an exact quote, but it was along those lines.

Last edited by sooner333 : 12-09-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #49
Desnudo
Coordinator

Clemens
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #50
sooner333
College Starter

Dola- What about pitchers? Kevin Brown for some reason comes to my mind.