Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #401
Galaril
Pro Starter

Geez Bronocs cut Orton. So, Tebow is it for this year but I am not believing Elway will ever go with him next year even if the go to the playoffs and win a game or two. I guess Orton and his agent pushed for it after Cutler got hurt so we could see Orton back in Chicago. That would mean in 12/4 in Denver it could be Orton vs. Tebow with Orton learning a new offense and the Broncos defense playing lights it it might not be as bad as matchup as some would think. That could even be pushed to the Sunday night game.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #402
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

idk, but if the broncos make the playoffs, or god forbid, win a playoff game elways office is gonna look like hitler's bunker from downfall.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #403
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Geez Bronocs cut Orton. So, Tebow is it for this year but I am not believing Elway will ever go with him next year even if the go to the playoffs and win a game or two. I guess Orton and his agent pushed for it after Cutler got hurt so we could see Orton back in Chicago. That would mean in 12/4 in Denver it could be Orton vs. Tebow with Orton learning a new offense and the Broncos defense playing lights it it might not be as bad as matchup as some would think. That could even be pushed to the Sunday night game.

Hopefully, some other team will make a claim for Orton and he never gets to the Bears.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #404
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Hopefully, some other team will make a claim for Orton and he never gets to the Bears.

Nah, he's going back to the Foo Fighters. They have a tour he needs to get ready for.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #405
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

As a Broncos fan, I always kind of liked Orton, and I'm sad to see him go. I think he kind of got screwed a bit.

That said, these past few weeks with Tebow have been fascinating. My football knowledge is pretty low, so I have no idea about slow releases, poor footwork, etc. All I know is it's fun to watch a crazy offense seemingly sort of work, and all the furor he has caused is enjoyable to take in. I hope he succeeds.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #406
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Does the success of Cam Newton and to a lesser extent Tim Tebow mean that someone like Robert Griffin III gets a more meaningful shot in the NFL?

I think one of the reasons there is such a small amount of good QB's in the NFL is the teams are spending so much time and effort trying to project how spread and pistol QB's project into pro style offenses or reaching for guys who already play in a pro style offense.

Over the next decade I believe NFL teams will be forced to adopt more in the way of option, spread and pistol elements as the colleges simply are not supplying enough pro style QB's to keep the current systems afloat.

Last edited by BillJasper : 11-23-2011 at 08:03 AM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #407
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Does the success of Cam Newton and to a lesser extent Tim Tebow mean that someone like Robert Griffin III gets a more meaningful shot in the NFL?

I am not sure that I get the question. I think it would have made more sense if you had just said Tebow since Cam was the first overall pick(and getting his shot no matter what). From everything I have heard about RG3 he will be a first round pick and he is quite a bit different than Tebow in that he has the skills to be successful in the NFL as a passer. He seems to be smart with good anticipation with decent accuracy. He would be a decent fit for the Redskins I think.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-23-2011 at 08:25 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #408
Logan
Head Coach

I love me some RG3. Think he'll be an excellent pro.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #410
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I am not sure that I get the question. I think it would have made more sense if you had just said Tebow since Cam was the first overall pick(and getting his shot no matter what). From everything I have heard about RG3 he will be a first round pick and he is quite a bit different that Tebow in that he has the skills to be successful in the NFL as a passer. He seems to be smart with good anticipation with decent accuracy. He would be a decent fit for the Redskins I think.

I think pretty much everyone on an NFL roster has the physical skill set to play QB. I'm thinking about guys (RGIII may be a bad example) who aren't proto-typical pocket passers now getting a shot as we're seeing fewer and fewer quality guys that fit current NFL schemes coming out. With Newton we've seen the Panthers incorporate spread option elements, things that he is comfortable with, into their offense to accelerate his acclimation to the pro game. We're watching Tebow essentially run a spread option as it is more in his comfort zone.

My question would be: will we see more teams take chances on players who aren't consensus number one picks who aren't going to fit traditional NFL offenses? With RGIII, will a team that takes him be willing to incorporate non-traditional offensive elements to accelerate his growth in the pro game?

Last edited by BillJasper : 11-23-2011 at 08:35 AM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #411
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Griffin is a pass first QB playing a in pro style system. How is this even a question? He happens to run as well.

I think RGIII is a hell of a player, but from what I saw of the Oklahoma game they run a spread with him taking few snaps from under center.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #413
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
They use pro style route combinations and reads in addition to a real running game. RGIII is in the same boat as someone like Sam Bradford coming out than someone from an offense like Texas Tech.

I'm not the only one who feels that RGIII will be pretty raw coming into the NFL...

Quote:

The concerns I have mainly surround his style of play and limited experience in a pro-style offense. Baylor employs a wide open spread attack, which doesn't allow Griffin III to make many reads. Most of his reads are made pre-snap or to one side of the field. The NFL is all about reading defenses and making good decisions.

2012 NFL Mock Draft: Full First-Round Predictions | Bleacher Report

Whoever takes him, say the Redskins. Are they going to incorporate offensive elements that he's comfortable with? Or are they going to try and shoehorn him into the West Coast offense?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #414
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I think pretty much everyone on an NFL roster has the physical skill set to play QB. I'm thinking about guys (RGIII may be a bad example) who aren't proto-typical pocket passers now getting a shot as we're seeing fewer and fewer quality guys that fit current NFL schemes coming out. With Newton we've seen the Panthers incorporate spread option elements, things that he is comfortable with, into their offense to accelerate his acclimation to the pro game. We're watching Tebow essentially run a spread option as it is more in his comfort zone.

My question would be: will we see more teams take chances on players who aren't consensus number one picks who aren't going to fit traditional NFL offenses? With RGIII, will a team that takes him be willing to incorporate non-traditional offensive elements to accelerate his growth in the pro game?

I think your second question is more relevant than the first. Teams have always taken chances on players if they believe that the player will eventually fit into a traditional system. More often than not, the expectation is that the player has to fit in sooner rather than later.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #416
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not the only one who feels that RGIII will be pretty raw coming into the NFL...

2012 NFL Mock Draft: Full First-Round Predictions | Bleacher Report

Whoever takes him, say the Redskins. Are they going to incorporate offensive elements that he's comfortable with? Or are they going to try and shoehorn him into the West Coast offense?

The spread is so common in college these days that these questions will come up with virtually every quarterback taken if they choose to make them important. Personally, I feel RG3 will be able to adjust without issues. Landry Jones would be the projected 1st rounder I would worry the most about.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-23-2011 at 10:02 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #417
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The spread is so common in college these days that these questions will come up with virtually every quarterback taken if they choose to make them important. Personally, I feel RG3 will be able to adjust without issues. Landry Jones would be the projected 1st rounder I would worry the most about.

For the record, I'm not saying he won't be able to adjust... and he throws a pretty deep ball. I just think these spread/option/pistol QB's may be better off if the NFL starts adopting some of the principles of those offenses. It may help accelerate their development.

Landry Jones will fall out of the first round after they start dissecting tape on him and see how inconsistent he really is. I think Matt Barkley is the potential first-rounder I'm most worried about. He's decent but I don't really see anything that really makes him stand out in a crowd other than the fact that he already runs a pro style offense. So I think a team will end up reaching on him. He kinda reminds me of Jimmy Clausen.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #418
gkb
High School Varsity

My 5-year old Tebowing with his cousin at a baby shower last weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ashton_tebowing.jpg (30.6 KB, 161 views)
Old 12-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #419
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

The ESPN Tebow circle-jerk continues in full force.

NFL - Tim Tebow hype drowns out buzz for more talented rookies - ESPN

Tim Tebow is a phenomenon and is making history each week -- Adam Schefter's 10 Spot - ESPN

Don't bet against Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos -- figuratively or literally - ESPN

And then this little gem:

Should Broncos' John Fox be coach of the year? - ESPN

Excuse me now while I vomit repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #420
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

As a Broncos fan who was a bit apprehensive when Orton got benched for Tebow this year, I'm all aboard the Tebow bandwagon now. I'm done trying to analyze his throws. I'm done wondering if the offense can work in the NFL. I'm done worrying if this team can compete with most other teams in the league. The Broncos are winning football games, and it's obviously not in spite of Tim Tebow. He's not winning games on his own, but he's contributing. Also, guess what? Maybe I'm just falling for it, but I think he's right when he says that the team believes now. The team sees him as a true leader, and I feel like they're doing more to win for him. I don't think they gave up with Orton at quarterback, but it's like they've found some kind of collective spark now. Whatever it is, I believe in it, too.

It's easy for me to cheer for the guy since he's on my favorite team, I guess, but I was a bit skittish about it before. No longer. I'm all in now.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #421
spleen1015
Coordinator

How come no one was saying this shit when Kyle Orton lead the Bears to a 13-3 season that one year and then got their asses kicked in the first round?

All will be right when they go 0-5 the rest of the way.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #422
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
How come no one was saying this shit when Kyle Orton lead the Bears to a 13-3 season that one year and then got their asses kicked in the first round?

All will be right when they go 0-5 the rest of the way.
Nobody cares about Kyle Orton because he's black.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #423
Suicane75
Coordinator

Shit just got real like a happy meal.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #424
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Nobody cares about Kyle Orton because he's black.

Well played.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #425
Izulde
Head Coach

It's ESPN. I stopped taking them seriously quite a while ago.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #426
JediKooter
Coordinator

Tebow: Time's Man of the Year.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #427
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

It's not like it's just ESPN who's all over the Tebow craze. I don't even watch ESPN or look at their web site, and I see more about Tebow than anything else, so it's everywhere.

I'd really like for people to make up their minds, though. All the time, people complain about how sports stories focus on players getting arrested, over-the-top celebrations after home runs and touchdowns, suspensions for PED use, coaches clashing with their players, and all other kinds of negatives. Now here we have a guy who everyone said was drafted too highly, really didn't have any business playing quarterback in the NFL, has had to listen to a ton of criticism about him on an athletic and personal level. Even if you don't want to give him credit for winning games (and the Denver defense deserves a ton of credit themselves), all he's doing is whatever his coaches say is best for the team. I'm not saying everyone needs to love the guy. I know people are going to hate him. Every quarterback has a bunch of people who hate him. That's fine.

I just want people to decide which they'd rather the media cover: The quarterback who's won over his teammates or the wide receiver who celebrates a touchdown by whipping out his dick and pissing on the kid in the front row who's wearing the other team's jersey.

Pick one. Go.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #428
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
It's not like it's just ESPN who's all over the Tebow craze. I don't even watch ESPN or look at their web site, and I see more about Tebow than anything else, so it's everywhere.

I'd really like for people to make up their minds, though. All the time, people complain about how sports stories focus on players getting arrested, over-the-top celebrations after home runs and touchdowns, suspensions for PED use, coaches clashing with their players, and all other kinds of negatives. Now here we have a guy who everyone said was drafted too highly, really didn't have any business playing quarterback in the NFL, has had to listen to a ton of criticism about him on an athletic and personal level. Even if you don't want to give him credit for winning games (and the Denver defense deserves a ton of credit themselves), all he's doing is whatever his coaches say is best for the team. I'm not saying everyone needs to love the guy. I know people are going to hate him. Every quarterback has a bunch of people who hate him. That's fine.

I just want people to decide which they'd rather the media cover: The quarterback who's won over his teammates or the wide receiver who celebrates a touchdown by whipping out his dick and pissing on the kid in the front row who's wearing the other team's jersey.

Pick one. Go.

I have no idea what you just said, Pumpy. But, I only got one word for you:

TEBOW!!!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #429
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

And clearly I used wide receiver as the negative example because all wide receivers and bad.

And black.

Edit to add: Oh, wait. Wes Welker pisses on kids. So scratch the part about the black people.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 12-02-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #430
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I have no idea what you just said, Pumpy. But, I only got one word for you:

TEBOW!!!
TEBOW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #431
JediKooter
Coordinator

TEEEEEBOOOOOW!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #432
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I love that the over-exposure of Tim Tebow caused you to revive this thread, leading to even more discussion of Tebow. Well done.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #433
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Shit just got real like a happy meal.

SF Happy Meal toy ban going into effect - UPI.com
Quote:
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #434
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

i see you rat bastards are scared to pick between the well behaved quarterback and the twisted wide receiver

i win
Old 12-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #435
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
i see you rat bastards are scared to pick between the well behaved quarterback and the twisted wide receiver

i win

Joey Harrington played the piano. To hell with "well behaved quarterbacks."
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #436
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Joey Harrington played the piano. To hell with "well behaved quarterbacks."
ok i'll be sure to forward every story i find about athletes killing people

nobody builds a strawman like tudors

gg
Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #437
Suicane75
Coordinator

No athlete ever killed me. Well Mickey Morandini once hit a foul ball towards me but I don't think there was intent. There wasn't even motive.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #438
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

Nice that the money is going to a charity for Ronald McDonald House, but why not put that money into health programs for the kiddos?

edit: to stay on topic. Tebow's going to win again this weekend.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 12-02-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #439
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
No athlete ever killed me. Well Mickey Morandini once hit a foul ball towards me but I don't think there was intent. There wasn't even motive.
This is why I could never trust a lefthanded hitting second baseman. Sadly, I was a lefthanded hitting second baseman when I was 12. I didn't trust myself. That led to a lot of tears and questions.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #440
Suicane75
Coordinator

Wait until you get to high school and you have to shower naked.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #441
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Wait until you get to high school and you have to shower naked.
This is one of the reasons I didn't go to high school. Fortunately, a GED got me where I am now.

Send your kids to school, people. Don't let them turn into me.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #442
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Pick one. Go.

I want ESPN to cover the Red Sox & Yankees rivalry during the off season.

They should be talking about how the team is winning DESPITE his sorry ass not because he has some mystical powers that are making them win.

3 years from now he'll be sitting on the couch next to Eric Crouch.

If the mother fucker had been drafted in the 8th round like he should have been, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Fuck you Josh McDaniels.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #443
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
if the mother fucker had been drafted in the 8th round like he should have been, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You're right. We'd be talking about how close they are to a chance to pick Luck instead of how close they are to making the playoffs.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #444
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I want ESPN to cover the Red Sox & Yankees rivalry during the off season.

They should be talking about how the team is winning DESPITE his sorry ass not because he has some mystical powers that are making them win.

3 years from now he'll be sitting on the couch next to Eric Crouch.

If the mother fucker had been drafted in the 8th round like he should have been, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Fuck you Josh McDaniels.
For the hockey fans in this thread, did I come off sounding like this when I talked about Colin White?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, the Tebow hate + Vick's jersey sales tell me pretty much everything I need to know about NFL fans.

It's success is rooted in catering to the absolutely lowest common denominator of American society.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #446
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
For the hockey fans in this thread, did I come off sounding like this when I talked about Colin White?

Who is Colin White?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #447
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Who is Colin White?
HE AIN'T TIM TEBOW, THAT'S FOR SURE
Old 12-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #448
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nah, your C-Dub hate was reassuring in its purity.

The Tebow hate is more along the lines of disturbing and/or pathetic.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #449
JediKooter
Coordinator

Te...

Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #450
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo

A little pain and ink is a small price to pay for JIMG to be a superfan.