Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #401
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
5.2 Jack the Ripper - Evil Person (1800s)
I hadn't even thought of serial killers for that category. First pick that's taken me by surprise, but a really good pick.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #402
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I hadn't even thought of serial killers for that category. First pick that's taken me by surprise, but a really good pick.

"

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #403
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Interesting pick spleen.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #404
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Jack the Ripper is an excellent pick. Surprising, but very good.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #405
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post

+4
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #406
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Damn, trying to decide between a couple of people.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #407
spleen1015
Coordinator

Thank you! He was one of the first I thought of when I made a list of Evil folks, right after Hitler.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #408
Racer
College Benchwarmer

5.3 Harriet Tubman (1800s) - Good Historical Person

I feel a bit nervous about making this pick. She did a lot to help humanity, but not in the same way people like Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. did. I think good historical person is harder to fill then other categories so I'm taking her.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #409
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

5.4 Josef Mengele -Evil Historical Person (moral evil)-WWII (1939) -1950s

Dr. Josef Mengele, nicknamed "the Angel of Death", became the surviving symbol of Adolf Hitler's "Final Solution".

Josef Mengele was the chief provider for the gas chambers and their crematoria in Auschwitz.

"He had a look that said 'I am the power,'" said one survivor. When it was reported that one block was infected with lice, Mengele solved the problem by gassing all the 750 women assigned to it.

At Auschwitz Mengele did a number of twin studies,Once Mengele's assistant rounded up 14 pairs of Gypsy twins during the night. Mengele placed them on his polished marble dissection table and put them to sleep. He then proceeded to inject chloroform into their hearts, killing them instantaneously. Mengele then began dissecting and meticulously noting each and every piece of the twins' bodies.

He supervised an operation by which two Gypsy children were sewn together to create Siamses twins; the hands of the children became badly infected where the veins had been resected.

Mengele performed both physical and psychological experiments, experimental surgeries performed without anesthesia, transfusions of blood from one twin to another, isolation endurance, reaction to various stimuli. He made injections with lethal germs, sex change operations, the removal of organs and limbs, incestuous impregnations.

Four hundred thousand souls - babies, small children, young girls, mothers, fathers, and grandparents - are said to have been casually waved to the lefthand side with a flick of the cane clasped in a gloved hand.

Despite international efforts to track him down, he was never apprehended and lived for 35 years hiding under various aliases. He lived in Paraguay and Brazil until his death in 1979. One afternoon, living in Brazil, he went for a swim. While in the ocean he suffered a massive stroke and began to drown. By the time he was dragged to shore, he was dead.

People didn't find out about Mengele's death until the mid 1980's when Nazi hunters, using newly discovered information, uncovered his grave marked "Wolfgang Gerhard" at Embu. It was then that his family admitted they had shielded him all those years and they turned over his diaries and letters to investigators.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #410
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
5.3 Harriet Tubman (1800s) - Good Historical Person

I feel a bit nervous about making this pick. She did a lot to help humanity, but not in the same way people like Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. did. I think good historical person is harder to fill then other categories so I'm taking her.

She was on my list. I was going to use her for the Women group if I had to.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #411
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm pondering, pick will be up shortly.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #412
RendeR
Coordinator

LSWFS, I hate you, I reallly realllllllly hate you.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #413
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I do have AENeuman's pick after Render makes his, and then mine, if I can think of a good one. Everyone that I had on my initial list is gone or unpickable. Then that'll be it for he and I until the morning.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #414
RendeR
Coordinator

5.5 Diana, Princess of Wales, Woman, 1980-1999
Old 06-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #415
Buccaneer
Head Coach

AENeuman's pick

5.6 "Duke" Ellington, Musician, WW2-50's
Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #416
RendeR
Coordinator

Nice flurry of picks there.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #417
Buccaneer
Head Coach

5.7 John Lennon, Musician, 1960s-1970s

deja vu?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #418
RendeR
Coordinator

Nice, I was considering him but I'd already used up my time period for him.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #419
RendeR
Coordinator

Izulde is on the clock =)
Old 06-25-2008, 10:38 PM   #420
Izulde
Head Coach

5.8 King Arthur - Cultural Icon (Middle Ages)

Think of Britian and one of the first images that comes to mind is Arthur.

Think of the Middle Ages and he's one of the primary thoughts as well.

But Arthur, whoever he was historically, whether a Briton chieftan, a Roman officer, or something else entirely, has come to, through the legends and stories surrounding him, become more than the icon of the British and the medieval era.

Celtic and Welsh cultures stake claims in Arthur and some of the most famous and best Arthurian legends are French. He is also given messianic qualities in some legends and is truly a multinational and multidimensional figure. He is Great Warrior, Noble King, Wise Ruler and Future Reedeemer.

But he is also flawed, human. In love with a woman who betrays him with his best friend, occasionally ignores the counsel of his mentor and advisor, even appears doddering and tired in some legends. And it is this humanity that makes him even more iconic and legendary than if he were merely great.

The tales of Arthur, his friends, knights, relatives, and lovers hold all the essential qualities of humanity: love, death, war, jealousy, faith, wonder, traveling, culture clashes, magic, the quest of the individual for glory, happiness, and/or redemption, the battle of a nation and a people's for survival, the attainment of prosperity and a grand utopia, the loss of paradise, and so on.

There is a reason the quest for the true historical Arthur and the search for Camelot continues on. It is because he and the stories and people surrounding him are emblematically those of us as individuals and as nations and in those legends, Arthur becomes an iconic for us all, with all our virtues and vices.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #421
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Izulde, I think that's one of the best picks of the draft.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #422
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Now that's a pick Izulde. Didn't even think of him.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #423
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Izulde is in my opinion winning. (Am I allowed to say that?) Simply solid picks all-around.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #424
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Izulde, I think that's one of the best picks of the draft.

+1

I don't have a list made or a spreadsheet with rankings, but just glancing through the picks made, I think Izulde is pretty far ahead of everyone else so far. All of his picks have been great.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #425
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The interesting thing will be when we get down to the last few picks and people are scrambling to find someone to fit into certain categories. I think we'll see some real longshot picks then.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #426
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The interesting thing will be when we get down to the last few picks and people are scrambling to find someone to fit into certain categories. I think we'll see some real longshot picks then.

I'm trying to take care of the harder categories if at all possible and that's why I took Harriet Tubman even it was a little earlier because her spirit truly did embody that of a good person (helping free slaves and being part of the women's suffrage movement).
Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #427
Izulde
Head Coach

Wow, thanks guys!

And yeah, I agree, the endgame of this is going to be very, very interesting.

I'm dreading the Ancient category because that's my weakest area in history, but we'll see what happens.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #428
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I've managed to plan out my picks for each remaining era...of course I already had to redo it once when Elvis left the building, so I expect to have to it again!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 PM   #429
Danny
Head Coach

About to make my pick, I was reading the werewolf thread first, didnt expect my pick to come back up tonight.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 PM   #430
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
+4

I thought of it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #431
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
5.8 King Arthur - Cultural Icon (Middle Ages)

Think of Britian and one of the first images that comes to mind is Arthur.

Think of the Middle Ages and he's one of the primary thoughts as well.

But Arthur, whoever he was historically, whether a Briton chieftan, a Roman officer, or something else entirely, has come to, through the legends and stories surrounding him, become more than the icon of the British and the medieval era.

Celtic and Welsh cultures stake claims in Arthur and some of the most famous and best Arthurian legends are French. He is also given messianic qualities in some legends and is truly a multinational and multidimensional figure. He is Great Warrior, Noble King, Wise Ruler and Future Reedeemer.

But he is also flawed, human. In love with a woman who betrays him with his best friend, occasionally ignores the counsel of his mentor and advisor, even appears doddering and tired in some legends. And it is this humanity that makes him even more iconic and legendary than if he were merely great.

The tales of Arthur, his friends, knights, relatives, and lovers hold all the essential qualities of humanity: love, death, war, jealousy, faith, wonder, traveling, culture clashes, magic, the quest of the individual for glory, happiness, and/or redemption, the battle of a nation and a people's for survival, the attainment of prosperity and a grand utopia, the loss of paradise, and so on.

There is a reason the quest for the true historical Arthur and the search for Camelot continues on. It is because he and the stories and people surrounding him are emblematically those of us as individuals and as nations and in those legends, Arthur becomes an iconic for us all, with all our virtues and vices.

Just want to say thumbs up to reads like this and the one LWSFS put up for Menghele. It's interesting enough with the names being tossed out, but adding stuff like this makes it even more interesting, and adds a lot to the thread.

Not that you all should do this. Just saying I enjoy reading these.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #432
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Izulde is in my opinion winning. (Am I allowed to say that?) Simply solid picks all-around.

Yup, you can. But it is sorta like saying the team you're playing in the playoffs is the best team.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #433
Danny
Head Coach

5.9 Muhammad Ali- Sports, 1960's-1970's
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 AM   #434
ColtCrazy
College Starter

5.10 J.K. Rowling - Woman - 2000-present

As a teacher, I understand the impact that Rowling has had on children's literature. When I first started teaching the Harry Potter craze was fairly small. Rowling introduced kids to not just the fantastic world of Hogwart's but to the love of reading as well. At the time I was teaching 3rd grade, a time when you start to get kids off those picture books and get them into chapter books. Rowling made kids want to read because they wanted to get to the level of reading those books (and I had 3rd graders that did read the early ones). Not only has Rowling's series created a worldwide following, but it has also inspired countless other books in the same genre. There is now a great wealth of fantasy books out there (some good, some ehh) thanks to Rowling's influence. And it's not just kids...my wife is one of many adults totally addicted to Harry Potter. She has complete sets of the American and British versions.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #435
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I've managed to plan out my picks for each remaining era...of course I already had to redo it once when Elvis left the building, so I expect to have to it again!

Removed

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-26-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Made no sense since ColtCrazy drafted :)
Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #436
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
5.9 Muhammad Ali- Sports, 1960's-1970's

Great pick. Best sports pick so far IMO, and I think it'll be nearly impossible to top.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:12 AM   #437
larrymcg421
Head Coach

5.11 - Charlie Manson, Evil Historical Person, 60s-70s

This is one seriously screwed up, evil dude. He may not have killed as many as Hitler or Lenin, but it's certainly not for lack of desire.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #438
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Pick for larrymcg from his list:

5.11 Charles Manson, Evil Historical Person (1960's-1970's)

Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #439
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
5.10 J.K. Rowling - Woman - 2000-present

As a teacher, I understand the impact that Rowling has had on children's literature. When I first started teaching the Harry Potter craze was fairly small. Rowling introduced kids to not just the fantastic world of Hogwart's but to the love of reading as well. At the time I was teaching 3rd grade, a time when you start to get kids off those picture books and get them into chapter books. Rowling made kids want to read because they wanted to get to the level of reading those books (and I had 3rd graders that did read the early ones). Not only has Rowling's series created a worldwide following, but it has also inspired countless other books in the same genre. There is now a great wealth of fantasy books out there (some good, some ehh) thanks to Rowling's influence. And it's not just kids...my wife is one of many adults totally addicted to Harry Potter. She has complete sets of the American and British versions.

Damn it! She was my 00s-Present Scribe pick!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #440
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
5.11 - Charlie Manson, Evil Historical Person, 60s-70s

This is one seriously screwed up, evil dude. He may not have killed as many as Hitler or Lenin, but it's certainly not for lack of desire.

Heh...didn't realize you were here.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:14 AM   #441
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Just want to say thumbs up to reads like this and the one LWSFS put up for Menghele. It's interesting enough with the names being tossed out, but adding stuff like this makes it even more interesting, and adds a lot to the thread.

Not that you all should do this. Just saying I enjoy reading these.

Thanks. For me personally, I feel the need to comment on my rationale for making each pick.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:15 AM   #442
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I agree with Sabotai...I think Ali is the best sports person available because of his world wide recognition. Ali is someone whose influence goes well beyond just the US.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #443
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree with Sabotai...I think Ali is the best sports person available because of his world wide recognition. Ali is someone whose influence goes well beyond just the US.

I was wondering if he might go Cultural Icon actually.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #444
sabotai
General Manager

I'm waiting to see if someone will risk getting really creative with the "Evil Historical Person" category. The serial killer angle is a nice change of pace, since it'd be boring if everyone was just picking lesser Hitlers, but I want to see someone really take a shot with someone that no one would expect.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #445
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I'm waiting to see if someone will risk getting really creative with the "Evil Historical Person" category. The serial killer angle is a nice change of pace, since it'd be boring if everyone was just picking lesser Hitlers, but I want to see someone really take a shot with someone that no one would expect.

I was going to take Barry Bonds, but someone already picked him in the sportsmen category.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #446
RendeR
Coordinator

Hrm, I'm the only one in thread now...must be its time to wait till morning...damnit =)
Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 AM   #447
spleen1015
Coordinator

J. K. Rowling is a damn good pick. I hadn't thought of her.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #448
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
J. K. Rowling is a damn good pick. I hadn't thought of her.

I strongly considered her with my last pick but I couldn't decide if she fit the culture icon category well enough or not. I think there are still plenty of good women left but I'm not so sure about cultural icon. Nonetheless, a great pick.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #449
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am sitting here laughing at myself. The person I considered for my #2 pick until I thought of Disney, is still out there. So, I'm thinking they probably aren't worth such an early pick. Maybe my impression of this person's value is off. I'm sure someone will pick them. It is just a latter of when I guess.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #450
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I am sitting here laughing at myself. The person I considered for my #2 pick until I thought of Disney, is still out there. So, I'm thinking they probably aren't worth such an early pick. Maybe my impression of this person's value is off. I'm sure someone will pick them. It is just a latter of when I guess.

So far my backup choice for ancient times that I may have taken in the 3rd round if Homer was off the board is still available.