Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #401
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Hey, I let my cousin get beat up while I was picking up the girl on the first date. You don't have to convince me .

Hos before Bros? Well, to be fair, the cousin was a lying piece of shit... mansion my ass!!!

I did the same thing.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #402
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I also threw the guy out of the window but I was able to remain in the room to watch.

I fell and he stayed up there. I had to run around the building and back up there.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #403
wade moore
lolzcat

I just beat his ass up - no one went out the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #404
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I must admit that I actually try my best not to hit any cars or people when I'm driving around the city. Hell, I've actually even stopped at a couple of red lights. What's wrong with me?

I also do that, especially, if I'm on a date. On my 2nd date with Michelle (I think that was her name) I accidently bumped a car and I think that turned it into a bad date. I guess she didn't like being bumped around
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #405
SackAttack
Head Coach

I didn't beat Michelle, but I did get the "Gobble Gobble" achievement as my first 'real' GTA IV achievement while on the date.

Also, yeah, I let Roman take the fall for being a lying piece of shit.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #406
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey, I let my cousin get beat up while I was picking up the girl on the first date. You don't have to convince me .

Hos before Bros? Well, to be fair, the cousin was a lying piece of shit... mansion my ass!!!

Same here.

I agree with Troy on his review points. Fun is a huge factor in a review and can overcome some technical flaws. I'm only about 5 hours in, but if I had to review this right now it would get somewhere between a 9-10. A 10 certainly isn't out of the question. It will be interesting to see how long this game holds my attention, but I could easily see it doing so all summer at least.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #407
Icy
Pro Starter

I went with Michele to the 8ball, the bitch won me and i was pissed off so on the return to her home i was hitting everybody's car and killing a few guys. She was complaining all the trip but when we reached her home, i asked her about going to her flat and she said ok, then the dual shock 3 started to vibrate and i was hearing she screaming. I guess it paid off to be beaten in the pool by her as she was in the mood after it

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #408
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I agree with MBBF, this game is not a 10.0. It's a 9.0 or 9.5, which seems similar but isn't the same thing. I'm a little disappointed this morning actually, I got caught up in all the hype and the amazing reviews.

Those reviews made the game sound like the second coming, I remember phrases like "Oscar-worthy storyline" being thrown around. Puh-lease. The story is passable at best. Why did I nonchalantly kill 4 guys for a dude I had just met without even asking questions, nor feeling remorse? I thought I was trying to keep my nose clean? Good grief.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #409
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola,

On my first date with Michelle I showed up without a car (mine blew up a couple blocks from her house), so we took hers to the bowling alley. At the end of the date when I went to drop her off, she just got out and said "see you later"! I yelled back "thanks for the car, bitch!" and tore out. Best first date ever
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #410
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Been looking over a few polls at some websites asking if GTA4 owners have had any problems with freezing or online play. Looks like the percentage is running around 35% that have had problems. That's certainly going to create some angst over at Rockstar. It looks like the game either works fine or really blows up depending on who you are.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #411
Kodos
Resident Alien

I got bored walking all the way to the bowling alley, so for a while I was sprinting. Michelle kept up with me. What a gal!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #412
spleen1015
Coordinator

Thank the maker mine works!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #413
Flasch186
Coordinator

I cant counter their punches at all. The X button just doesnt seem to be blocking/dodging/countering.

My guy fell out of the window, landed on the roof below and stayed on it. I had to drop on the roof and fight him on it. It seemed to be somewhat of a glitch.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #414
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I got bored walking all the way to the bowling alley, so for a while I was sprinting. Michelle kept up with me. What a gal!

yeah, and when we were walking back to the car i hopped a railing instead of walking around it, but she, being a lady, ran down to the end in order to exit out like a civilized human being and then ran all the way back to me to catch up. i knew she was desperate at that point.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #415
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I cant counter their punches at all. The X button just doesnt seem to be blocking/dodging/countering.

My guy fell out of the window, landed on the roof below and stayed on it. I had to drop on the roof and fight him on it. It seemed to be somewhat of a glitch.

i think A button is the defense one. X is to kick if i'm not mistaken.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #416
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I didn't beat Michelle, but I did get the "Gobble Gobble" achievement as my first 'real' GTA IV achievement while on the date.

Also, yeah, I let Roman take the fall for being a lying piece of shit.
I like the "Warm Coffee" one I got when she said yes, when I asked if I could come up.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #417
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, A is block. B is punch, X is kick, and Y is alt kick or something.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #418
Kodos
Resident Alien

I wanted to hold her hand, but I just kept walking into her instead of holding the hand. She must think I am a clumsy oaf.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #419
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah, A is block. B is punch, X is kick, and Y is alt kick or something.

I believe he's talking about the PS3 version. X is block.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #420
Icy
Pro Starter

ROFL, i just became a pirate. I went to the port for fun, fired the driver of a boat and once i killed him, i jumped to the sea and swam to the boat, then i drove around until i found another boat, showed them the gun and both jumped to the sea leaving the boat for me. It's so fun to drive the fast boats.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #421
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
ROFL, i just became a pirate. I went to the port for fun, fired the driver of a boat and once i killed him, i jumped to the sea and swam to the boat, then i drove around until i found another boat, showed them the gun and both jumped to the sea leaving the boat for me. It's so fun to drive the fast boats.

ARRRRRRR!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #422
Icy
Pro Starter

Have you guys tried the Hammer? it's a beast to run over other cars.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #423
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

Assuming you are talking about the PS3 version and are hitting the right button, on the 360 I've found the timing on the counter to be very sensitive. You can't press block too early, or it won't counter at all. I disagree with MBBF that the melee fighting is like a NHL mini-fighting game as the timing is very important and I'm starting to get better at some good combos (a triple punch, kick, spin kick combo is my favorite.) However, I agree with Calis that this the melee combat is my least favorite part of the game and it is taking time to become accustomed to.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-30-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #424
DanGarion
Coordinator

Funniest Baseball GTA reference on the interwebs!
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...ft-farnsworth/
Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #425
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Most of the console specific stuff, I'm going to keep in the other thread, but I know that people were posting about issues with resolutions on their TV's and this might have something to do with it. Apparently, the PS3 version is at 630p. The 360 version is at 720p.

http://kotaku.com/385237/gta-iv-runs...hats-that-mean
Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #426
Calis
College Starter

I was just listening to Sherdog radio and heard that Bas Rutten does one of the "TV Shows" on the game. I'm going to have to check that out, love El Guapo.

I think it's one hosted by two guys in a bathroom or something.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #427
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Most of the console specific stuff, I'm going to keep in the other thread, but I know that people were posting about issues with resolutions on their TV's and this might have something to do with it. Apparently, the PS3 version is at 630p. The 360 version is at 720p.

http://kotaku.com/385237/gta-iv-runs...hats-that-mean

That doesn't have anything to do with the resolution settings that they were discussing earlier.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #428
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I just woke up a bit ago. Going to get GTA IV at 8 in the morning cured my inability to sleep lately, as I was able to go to bed at 1:00 AM the night before and got 6 1/2 hours in. Then I stayed up until 6 AM this morning playing once I got a 360 to play on last night.

I have not played COD4, so I can't compare it to that, but this game has the best graphics I have ever seen. Some of the shots, with amazing detail, that you see in the middle of something happening is killer to me. I climbed to the top of the spaceship looking thing, don't have my map near me to get the name. SO I was climbing up the ladders, almost to the top, and trying to go up the last section I screwed up and fell. I was hooked right there (early in my game play) as it was the coolest screw up I have ever had in a game. I was bouncing off the ladder, I was tumbling, had a second of freefall with blazing speed mixed in. It was just insane.

One tiny thing I am disappointed in. There are no stars (or whatever symbol they used in III) to collect while you are exploring? I have not seen any. It was always a nice little bonus for the exploring every spot possible. No big deal, as a million other improvements make up for it.

To HA, I saw you asking about driving drunk. The cops notice it right away and try to pull you over. Even just sitting still in a car they do this. I thought I was sober, walking fine and everything, got into a car and found out I wasn't 100% sober.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #429
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
To HA, I saw you asking about driving drunk. The cops notice it right away and try to pull you over. Even just sitting still in a car they do this. I thought I was sober, walking fine and everything, got into a car and found out I wasn't 100% sober.

oh snap, i'm hitting one of the bars in the game tonite then. that sounds awesome. i want to pull up to a cop car drunk and get into a car chase. that's awesome.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #430
MrBug708
Head Coach

JUst spend an hour trying to beat the bleed out part. Cant catch the guy in the car. Looks like I might just shelf the game because I cant drive worth crap
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #431
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
One tiny thing I am disappointed in. There are no stars (or whatever symbol they used in III) to collect while you are exploring? I have not seen any. It was always a nice little bonus for the exploring every spot possible. No big deal, as a million other improvements make up for it.

Pink pigeons are the lastest collectable in the game. 200 scattered throughout the game to kill.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #432
Kodos
Resident Alien

It would be nice if the driving was more friendly. Not a game-killer though.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #433
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
JUst spend an hour trying to beat the bleed out part. Cant catch the guy in the car. Looks like I might just shelf the game because I cant drive worth crap

i had to do it 5 times. the reason i was able to complete it was i waited until daylight to do the mission and with it being light out i was able to follow the car better. keep in mind you don't have to knock it off the road or anything, you just have to follow it. i think i failed so much cuz i was trying to drive so fast that i could keep up with it and be able to knock it off the road cuz i thought that's what the mission was. but it's just to follow it and then you have to get out of the car and chase him and fight him.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #434
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Pink pigeons are the lastest collectable in the game. 200 scattered throughout the game to kill.

Pink pigeons? Huh, can't say I have noticed any. I will keep my eye out for them now though. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #435
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
keep in mind you don't have to knock it off the road or anything, you just have to follow it. i think i failed so much cuz i was trying to drive so fast that i could keep up with it and be able to knock it off the road cuz i thought that's what the mission was. but it's just to follow it and then you have to get out of the car and chase him and fight him.

Exactly! Once I tried not to knock the car off the road or something (I thought the mission would be to ram him until the car blew up or something) and just drove fast, but not breakneck speed fast, I had an easy time.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #436
Icy
Pro Starter

What kind of problem do you guys have driving? i find it way more realistic than in San Andreas.

The key is to master the handbrake to turn fast, just drive fast on straight roads, then stop to accelerate and hit the handbrake while you turn to put your car nose towards the intersection and as soon as it's towards it, accelerate again, the car back will slide but you will keep the car control. Also have on mind that different cars have different behavior, sport cars have way more stability when turning.

I love driving sport cars or motorbikes in this game, just driving at max speed and trying to avoid all the other cars.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #437
Anthony
Banned

i'm having a hard time cuz the braking seems too extreme - either the handbrake results in the car spinning out too much, or i hit the drive-in-reverse button to make the car essentially slow down so i can approach the turn as a slower speed but i don't slow down enough. this is not a dedicated racing game so i'm not expecting a sophisticated physics engine like in Forza, it just seems rather sloppy. like when i drive it seems there's NO way to avoid people or other cars. there are times when i want to let loose, other times when i just want to zig zag around objects without creating too much destruction but the game's physics is a little off so it results in a pinball effect when driving with me using lightposts and/or cars to help slow me down cuz driving isn't tight enough to avoid much.

i didn't buy this game for the driving, so it's minor in my book. maybe i just need to recalibrate my understanding of how each car handles and also how the game itself handles driving. its a bit cartoonish, i guess that's an accurate description. it takes a cartoonish approach to driving, almost as if you crashing and banging into things is a foregone conclusion. i don't think Rockstar is catering to the "uses the blinkers before changing lanes" crowd with this game. LOL

Last edited by Anthony : 04-30-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #438
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
i don't think Rockstar is catering to the "uses the blinkers before changing lanes" crowd with this game. LOL

No, probably not, but when I saw the others cars in the game using their blinkers, I immediately decided to try and do that with my own car to see if it impacted how traffic behaves.

Is that even possible? I can't figure it out if it is.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #439
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
i had to do it 5 times. the reason i was able to complete it was i waited until daylight to do the mission and with it being light out i was able to follow the car better. keep in mind you don't have to knock it off the road or anything, you just have to follow it. i think i failed so much cuz i was trying to drive so fast that i could keep up with it and be able to knock it off the road cuz i thought that's what the mission was. but it's just to follow it and then you have to get out of the car and chase him and fight him.

Even on missions where you do have to ram a car until it dies, control is still the big issue. Go too fast and nail him? You may flip and he'll drive away. If you drive at a fast, but controllable speed, you will catch the other car. No need to get too crazy with it.

I'm not having the problems others are with driving. Seems just like all of the other GTA games. Older, bigger, slower cars handle like garbage when they hit a speed higher than 30 mph. Sleeker, sportier models are better handling.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #440
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
It would be nice if the driving was more friendly. Not a game-killer though.

Well the driving all depends on the car. Some are a lot better then others. The main thing is to get used to breaking before turning, period.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #441
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm feeling an addiction to this game lik ei haven't for a looong time. I have put it off to do some work but i can't stop to think what i'm going to do as i turn it on again. I hope my wife will want to watch something i don't like tonight so i'll have the perfect excuse to keep playing

Old 04-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #442
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm feeling an addiction to this game lik ei haven't for a looong time. I have put it off to do some work but i can't stop to think what i'm going to do as i turn it on again. I hope my wife will want to watch something i don't like tonight so i'll have the perfect excuse to keep playing

GTA games do that to me, this is no different. I am NOT playing at all for a while, and am supposed to be sitting here doing work. Instead I am reading and typing about GTA.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #443
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Well the driving all depends on the car. Some are a lot better then others. The main thing is to get used to breaking before turning, period.

Yep, I figured that out through trial and error. Don't turn left or right until you've let off the brakes. It's awfully hard to turn if your front wheels are skidding and not turning.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #444
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
GTA games do that to me, this is no different. I am NOT playing at all for a while, and am supposed to be sitting here doing work. Instead I am reading and typing about GTA.

Me too i'm going out for running now so i can think more on GTA while doing it and won't feel how tired i am

Old 04-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #445
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Me too i'm going out for running now so i can think more on GTA while doing it and won't feel how tired i am

I will tap the sprint button to help you out a little.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #446
spleen1015
Coordinator

The driving isn't much different to me than the previous games.

I don't remember being able to do a braking, skidding u-turn so easily in the previous games.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #447
SackAttack
Head Coach

So it turns out the 1 month of gold that came with the 360 GTA IV extends existing accounts, too. Mine was set to expire Saturday and I was trying to figure out how to pay for a new subscription two weeks before my trip to WI...but now I can defer that until at least June.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #448
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I ended up passing the level
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #449
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
So it turns out the 1 month of gold that came with the 360 GTA IV extends existing accounts, too. Mine was set to expire Saturday and I was trying to figure out how to pay for a new subscription two weeks before my trip to WI...but now I can defer that until at least June.

Awesome. I'm glad I didn't throw that card out.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #450
Icy
Pro Starter

F*ck it, i decided i'm going to ride the static bike so i can keep playing the game while doing the daily exercise.