Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #401
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Since Favre is being such a pain in the ass, if I were the Packers I would just change his name in all the media guides.

That'd teach him.

"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #402
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Packers have been talking to other teams including one in the NFC about trading for Favre.

Phone records show Favre not only talking to Darrell Bevell, but also Brad Childress. The NFL will look into this and decide if the Vikings have tampered with Favre. Talking to former Packers quarterbacks coach Bevell I can understand, but Childress? This just helps the Packers justify their position.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #403
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The Packers have been talking to other teams including one in the NFC about trading for Favre.

Phone records show Favre not only talking to Darrell Bevell, but also Brad Childress. The NFL will look into this and decide if the Vikings have tampered with Favre. Talking to former Packers quarterbacks coach Bevell I can understand, but Childress? This just helps the Packers justify their position.

Hmm, one in the NFC south perhaps?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #404
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Phone records? Crap, the NFL is a division of the NSA?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #405
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If he was dumb enough to use a phone paid for by the Packers, it certainly doesn't take the NSA for him to be convicted. I'm sure they get a record of all of the calls when they pay the bill.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #406
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
If he was dumb enough to use a phone paid for by the Packers, it certainly doesn't take the NSA for him to be convicted. I'm sure they get a record of all of the calls when they pay the bill.

They pay for his cell phone or house phone? Damn, talk about a hidden perk in a contract, "We will pay for all your bills from cell phones to house payment, on top of your salary." That would be kind of cool.

I would think that the checked Minnesota phone records or something, but I don't know what the story out thee says.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #407
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The story I heard on the radio yesterday was that Favre had used a cell phone paid for by the Packers to call Brad Childress multiple times as well as other Viking officials.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 AM   #408
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Doh, that is funny as hell. I wonder what that knocks his FOF Intelligence rating down to?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #409
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
The story I heard on the radio yesterday was that Favre had used a cell phone paid for by the Packers to call Brad Childress multiple times as well as other Viking officials.

From all the reports I have seen Farve called Darrell Bevell (his old friend) several times, but Brad Childress only once.

I don't know how they can come after the Vikings if Farve made the calls.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #410
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
From all the reports I have seen Farve called Darrell Bevell (his old friend) several times, but Brad Childress only once.

I don't know how they can come after the Vikings if Farve made the calls.

Just an assumption here, but I'm guessing Childress didn't say, "Sorry, I can't talk to you since even though you are retired your rights belong to the Packers." And I'll assume the phone records will show it was not a 1 minute call (oops, wrong number) but a longer one.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #411
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Just an assumption here, but I'm guessing Childress didn't say, "Sorry, I can't talk to you since even though you are retired your rights belong to the Packers." And I'll assume the phone records will show it was not a 1 minute call (oops, wrong number) but a longer one.

It would have been rude to just hang up on him.

I don't really think the Vikings are innocent, but this is very flimsy evidence.
It is hypocritical for any team to file tampering charges.

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #412
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

It also looks pretty suspicious that the day after the call, Childress sold all of his Tarvaris Jackson rookie cards and used the money to buy a personalized license plate that says FAVRE#1
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #413
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Wouldn't paying for Favre's cell phone be a salary cap violation?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #414
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Wouldn't paying for Favre's cell phone be a salary cap violation?

Did the phone bill bust the salary cap?

Anyway, I'm sure it's just a "company" phone that employees can use that aren't part of a salary. Just like lots of places.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #415
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I don't get how Farve reaching out and calling someone would mean that they are Tampering with him. I mean if they called him it would be one thing but for him to call them I would not consider that tampering.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #416
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I'm sure its not against the rules for Childress and Favre to have a conversation about anything at all except the prospects of Favre playing for the Vikings and how that might be accomplished. And the actual rule may even be more specific than that, though I haven't seen it quoted anywhere.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #417
Zelig
Mascot

The Packers just lost their 3rd round pick.
Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #418
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig View Post

Why?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #419
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig View Post

this act is getting old
Old 07-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #420
rkmsuf
Head Coach

welp, reports are that favre is going to show up at packers training camp

can they put him on the practice squad?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #421
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
welp, reports are that favre is going to show up at packers training camp

Before or after applying for reinstatement? Would be funny if he showed up without applying and they turned him away
Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #422
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Before or after applying for reinstatement? Would be funny if he showed up without applying and they turned him away

presumably after, then gets shipped to tampa and then retires again
Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #423
molson
General Manager

Link anywhere?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #424
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Link anywhere?

No, trust me on this one. Adam Scheffler of NFL Network just called my people.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #425
Jas_lov
College Starter

Mort is reporting it. I just saw it on ESPN. The Jets and Bucs have expressed interest in Favre. They need to ship him off to one of those teams soon. I don't know why the Jets would want to give up draft picks for an old QB, but I guess they're interested. The shareholders cheered Ted Thompson. They're behind him. We're all behind him. Get rid of Brett Favre.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #426
rkmsuf
Head Coach

That would be the all time hilarious season if Favre was on the Jets.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #427
molson
General Manager

Quote:
That would be the all time hilarious season if Favre was on the Jets.

I'm officially rooting for this scenerio, and can't wait to see what headline the NY Post comes up with after his first 4-interception game.

If he goes to the Jets, both Rodgers and the Packers will have a better season than the Favre and the Jets.

Last edited by molson : 07-25-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #428
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The 2008 Jets recap would have to be set to Benny Hill music.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #429
molson
General Manager

You'd think the Packers should have to give something up to the Jets to bail them out like this

Last edited by molson : 07-25-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #430
molson
General Manager

Seriously, this makes zero sense for the Jets. They could be a solid borderline playoff team, they just need a QB who won't get in the way and make mistakes. So they go after Favre? Vinny Testeverde would be a better choice.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #431
Jas_lov
College Starter

It wouldn't make sense for Favre either. The Jets aren't going anywhere this year. They're in the tough AFC and they'll get destroyed by the Patriots even with Favre. It doesn't make sense for either side. The Bucs made the playoffs last year, they're in a division that is up for grabs, and they have the Gruden-Favre relationship so it just makes more sense for him to go there.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #432
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
The 2008 Jets recap would have to be set to Benny Hill music.
Cool, it'll be just like last year's!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #433
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It wouldn't make sense for Favre either. The Jets aren't going anywhere this year. They're in the tough AFC and they'll get destroyed by the Patriots even with Favre. It doesn't make sense for either side. The Bucs made the playoffs last year, they're in a division that is up for grabs, and they have the Gruden-Favre relationship so it just makes more sense for him to go there.

That's why this makes perfect sense for the Packers. I'd gladly send him to the Jets for a conditional 7th round pick in 2015 to get this over with. But if I'm trading him to a team I might be competing for for a playoff spot (Buccs, Vikings), I'd need something substantial or else I'd just let him rot.

Last edited by molson : 07-25-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #434
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's why this makes perfect sense for the Packers. I'd gladly send him to the Jets for a conditional 7th round pick in 2015 to get this over with. But if I'm trading him to a team I might be competing for for a playoff spot (Buccs, Vikings), I'd need something substantial or else I'd just let him rot.

It can't be too low to a team that you are trading him too. There has to be a comfort level that they are paying market value. Otherwise, If I were the Jets and got Favre for a conditional 7th rounder in 2015 and I knew the Bucs were offering a 4th in 09', I'd flip him to the Vikings or Bucs for a higher pic right away.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #435
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
It can't be too low to a team that you are trading him too. There has to be a comfort level that they are paying market value. Otherwise, If I were the Jets and got Favre for a conditional 7th rounder in 2015 and I knew the Bucs were offering a 4th in 09', I'd flip him to the Vikings or Bucs for a higher pic right away.

That is why I hope the Jets get him since they maybe in it just to trade him to the Vikings for better picks.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:52 PM   #436
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The shareholders cheered Ted Thompson. They're behind him. We're all behind him.

I just talked to a friend that went, he said it was about 50/50.

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 07-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #437
Jas_lov
College Starter

50/50? That's good enough for me. Why are the Packers asking for a 1st round pick? Nobody in their right mind would give that up for a 40 year old QB. It's going to be a media circus at Packers camp on Sunday if Favre shows up. He hasn't even applied for reinstatement yet.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:50 AM   #438
Dutch
"Dutch"

Favre was the man and I have all the respect for him in the world, but I don't want to see him on the Bucs. The move would be purely financial (ticket sales/merchandise). I'm not sure Favre solves their QB problem. Oh, but wait, I just digressed into talking about football. That's why I'm not a fan of this trade. It has absolutely nothing to do with building a winning franchise even if he managed to still look half way decent.

Favre - Please go to Jets. k thx.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:07 AM   #439
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hope someone with a "need" for a qb picks him up. And then immediately flips him to the Vikes. Then Favre throws 6 ill advised picks in the first game, and gets yanked in favor of Tarvarius. Meanwhile Rodgers will look like shit and the LOLions win the division at 7-9.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:11 AM   #440
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I hope someone with a "need" for a qb picks him up. And then immediately flips him to the Vikes. Then Favre throws 6 ill advised picks in the first game, and gets yanked in favor of Tarvarius. Meanwhile Rodgers will look like shit and the LOLions win the division at 7-9.

I'd like to remind you that the Bears signed Kevin Jones AND Marty Booker AND.....oh no wait, that's it.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #441
Kodos
Resident Alien

C'mon. The Lions would never be as good as 7-9 under Millen.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #442
Zelig
Mascot

Quote:
this act is getting old

Quit stealing material, with that many post, at least some of it should be original.
Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #443
miami_fan
Coordinator

Who woulda thunk it? The big training camp circus is not TO in Dallas, not Chad Johnson in Cincy, not even Marvin Harrison in Indy. It will be in Green Bay. Wow.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #444
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Why are the Packers asking for a 1st round pick?

In return for the hell he is putting them through. They paid a big bonus for him, why shouldn't they get some return out of this, especially with everyone pointing out what an awesome season he had last year?

I wouldn't pay that for him, but if Favre is so gung ho on going somewhere else, let him convince the other teams to pony up the dough.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #445
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I wouldn't give up a tall glass of cold Orange Juice for Favre.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #446
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I hope someone with a "need" for a qb picks him up. And then immediately flips him to the Vikes.

Is that allowed? Has that happened before? I tried searching for the NFL's rules for trading players but I can't find anything.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #447
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Is that allowed? Has that happened before? I tried searching for the NFL's rules for trading players but I can't find anything.

I thought of this a few days ago and looked around. I couldn't find any rules against it.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #448
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

As much as I would hate for Favre to be playing for the arch nemesis Vikings, it would actually be a lot of fun and make for some intense football games; I almost hope it happens.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #449
Logan
Head Coach

Well, you can structure trades to include things like "if the player participates in X snaps during the season, the team owes a 2nd round pick. If not, a 4th round pick." So I'd think they could work something in where the team that is trading for Favre would owe the Packers something like 5 1st-round picks if Favre isn't on their roster after the trade deadline.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #450
Spree
n00b

Yes, the Jets might suck with Favre.

But why is no one addressing what a huge revenue boost this might be to the league? Favre-to-New York is like Grezky going to L.A. or Jordan joining the Knicks. The most acclaimed player (3 MVPs) of his generation, who unlike, say, A-Rod, has never had a bad thing said about him, moving from the smallest media market in professional sports to the biggest... it's an NFL exec's dream.

The only risk is damaging Favre's legacy as a down-home good ol' boy. You know, the whole "farmer travels to the city and becomes a conceited yuppy" kind of thing if he becomes a New York media magnet. If he's a bust, then the story becomes the naive farmboy who's blinded by the big city lights.

Honestly, I'd rather have him f*ck up with the Jets, even though I live here, and maintain his legacy then, as I see it, succeeding and being known as a shallow opportunist (like, say, A-Rod.)
Spree is offline   Reply With Quote