Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2007, 11:24 AM   #401
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm really looking forward to the next round, specifically Bulls-Pistons and Spurs-Suns. I think the winner of those two series will end up making it to the finals relatively easily.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #402
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Mavs probably need to go ahead and Kidd from Jersey. Because even when the Nets win their series, that team isn't going anywhere. And Bruce RATner won't spend anymore money, since he knows that his arena is never going to get built, but he has to hold onto the team for a few more years while he keeps the farce going along.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #403
JeeberD
General Manager

Well, that wasn't the first half the Rockets needed. Of course, ten points down at the half is better than the 16 we were down earlier, but not as good as the six we were down with 30 seconds to go.

TMac and Yao need to show that they're stars and take this bitch over.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #404
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It looks to me like the Rockets are playing tight. I feel bad for you Jeeber (since I don't hate the Rockets like I do your football team.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #405
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe the Rockets didn't foul immediately on the inbound pass there. They cost themselves 7.5 seconds and any shot at the game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #406
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I kinda wanted Houston to win, but I'll take Warriors/Jazz.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #407
MrBug708
Head Coach

Thank you Tmac!
Signed
Dirk
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:54 PM   #408
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I can't believe the Rockets didn't foul immediately on the inbound pass there. They cost themselves 7.5 seconds and any shot at the game.

Yeah, that was...odd. No idea what those players were thinking.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:44 AM   #409
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:39 AM   #410
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Dallas and Houston are gone. San Antonio left from the Texas Three. Hope the Suns get rid of them soon.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #411
JeeberD
General Manager

Damn...there went any interest I had in these playoffs. Especially since I hate the Jazz, Spurs, and Suns. Go Warriors, I suppose?

Old 05-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #412
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Go Warriors, I suppose?

Not a bad choice at all....
Old 05-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #413
JeeberD
General Manager

I was a Warriors fan back in the Tim Hardaway days. I still have my Timmy jersey in my closet...

Old 05-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #414
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'd love to see a topsy turvey NBA final with like Cleveland or New Jersey, taking on the winner of the Warriors and Spurs or something.

That'd be entertaining, because at least those teams have personality and guys you don't like...I know it's pretty unlikely to happen. But given how this has gone so far, anything seems possible to me now.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #415
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

After watching the Spurs-Suns yesterday, I have to wonder about coaching and psychology. Whether the calls were going his way or not, to see Mike D'Antoni going as crazy as he seemed to be going on the sideline tells me he doesn't think his team can beat San Antonio. If he feels he has to fight for calls before going into the locker room and then still be fighting over the same call coming out of it, that tells me he thinks he needs all the help his team can get. I can't help but wonder if all this posturing doesn't inspire too much confidence in his players. Objecting to calls is one thing and it's needed to let your players know you're fighting for them, but objecting to calls for an extended period of time seems to push things into the realm of a lack of confidence in the team.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:18 AM   #416
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tmac looking good in first round. Looks like the new KG.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #417
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Tmac looking good in first round. Looks like the new KG.

While I do place the lion's share of the blame on McGraddy's shoulders, I think it is time to start taking Yao Ming to task as well. For whatever it is worth, he is a five time All-Star. He is supposed to be one of the better players. He needs to step up his game and his leadership role on that team.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #418
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
After watching the Spurs-Suns yesterday, I have to wonder about coaching and psychology. Whether the calls were going his way or not, to see Mike D'Antoni going as crazy as he seemed to be going on the sideline tells me he doesn't think his team can beat San Antonio. If he feels he has to fight for calls before going into the locker room and then still be fighting over the same call coming out of it, that tells me he thinks he needs all the help his team can get. I can't help but wonder if all this posturing doesn't inspire too much confidence in his players. Objecting to calls is one thing and it's needed to let your players know you're fighting for them, but objecting to calls for an extended period of time seems to push things into the realm of a lack of confidence in the team.
I agree 100%. I thought D'Antoni had a pretty poor overall game. James Jones and Boris Diaw gave Phoenix next to nothing yesterday (and you could see this early on), yet they got 34 minutes combined. Kurt Thomas did a solid job on Duncan and had solid production in 13 minutes - yet he rarely played down the stretch. The whole reason to sit Kurt is to keep the pace high. Well, in the final 5 minutes the pace was at a crawl anyway - why not have Kurt in there helping you with key stops?

Also, the Suns got toasted by Parker yet again. Wouldn't it be nice if they had a strong, quick guard on the bench that is a very good defender? Oh, wait, they do with Marcus Banks. Maybe they ought to play him a few minutes?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #419
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I totally agree that it is a mental issue -- the Suns have not been mentally tough for years and showed this again down the stretch of the season as they repeatedly faded late in games. This is the only reason why I think they will not break through and win the title this year -- they have the talent to do it, but not the mental fortitude, and it's not just an issue with D'Antoni. I love Steve Nash, but the spectacle of him talking about how they need to learn to play hard for the whole game -- that's not something you learn how to do in the middle of the conference semifinals. Unfortunately for Phoenix, they had a lot of things go right for them that won't go that well the rest of the series, and barring some dramatic change they are going down again.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #420
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post

If you've ever watched any Suns games thats all he does...if a foul call goes the wrong way he throws a temper tantrum and stomps his feet around like a little kid. He seems to think the Suns never foul.
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #421
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I knew I'd seen him do his 'throwing the toys out of the pram' routine many times before, but it seemed especially prolonged yesterday.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #422
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I was a Warriors fan back in the Tim Hardaway days. I still have my Timmy jersey in my closet...

I'm resisting the temptation, but wow that's just wide open, easier to hit than a Jeff Weaver pitch.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #423
JeeberD
General Manager

Heh...

Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #424
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm resisting the temptation, but wow that's just wide open, easier to hit than a Jeff Weaver pitch.

LOL
Old 05-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #425
Groundhog
Coordinator

Man, why are the GSW games always so late...

I'm torn as to who I'm rooting for. On the one hand, I'd love to see Golden State keep it up, but on the other hand, Utah are my favourite team outside of Cleveland.

If the Warriors keep their shooting touch they should pull it out, but should be interesting to see what Boozer and Okur can do. Deron is going to have his hands full, too.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #426
Groundhog
Coordinator

Interestingly, NBA.com has a mock draft up. I don't recall them ever doing that in the past? Maybe I'm just forgetful.

They incorrectly list pick #4 as Atlanta instead of Phoenix, but here's what they have:

1. Memphis - Oden
2. Boston - Durant
3. Bucks - Al Hortford
4. Phoenix - Brandan Wright
5. Seattle - Joakim Noah
6. Portland - Yi Jianlian
7. Minnesota - Corey Brewer
8. Charlotte - Julian Wright
9. Knicks - Roy Hibbert
10. Kings - Mike Conley
11. Pacers - Jeff Green
12. 76ers - Spencer Hawes
13. Hornets - Acie Law
14. LAC - Al Thornton

Looks relatively reasonable to me, except I doubt Conley will be there at #10. Brewer to Minnesota would be a great fit IMO. I also like a frontcourt of Bogut-Hortford-Villi, but it's a shame that by the time they'll all be in their prime they'll probably be on different teams.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #427
Butter
Coordinator

Joakim Noah as #5? Is the draft that weak after the first 2?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #428
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Acie Law needs to fall to Detroit at 15.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #429
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Yes it is. I actually hope the Grizzlies get the #2 pick. Get Durant and Adelman and the Grizzlies will compete for a playoff spot next year.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #430
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Joakim Noah as #5? Is the draft that weak after the first 2?

I don't think he'll go that high. Noah would work well in a fast offense like Phoenix or Golden State, but I don't think he's a half-court bigman in this league.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #431
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think Noah will be better than most people give him credit for. He's smart, a good passer, and more versatile than the other guys you could pick instead of him. I'll be very surprised if he goes lower than 5 or 6.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #432
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think Noah will be better than most people give him credit for. He's smart, a good passer, and more versatile than the other guys you could pick instead of him. I'll be very surprised if he goes lower than 5 or 6.

I think he's a smart and a high-energy player, but right now the only way he'll score in the NBA is in transistion and off hustle plays. I think he'll be a nice spark plug off the bench, but I don't see him ever being a starting quality player on a good team which is why I'd hesitate to take him top 10. He'd benefit by going to a good team where not much will be asked of him straight away, like in Phoenix.

Seattle might not be a bad option for him either, but I doubt they take another bigman.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #433
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

NBA Draft.net updated theirs about a week ago: http://www.nbadraft.net/

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #434
Groundhog
Coordinator

What a difference clinching that #2 seed made for the Cavs. The Bulls had to play the Heat and Pistons (though so far you can hardly say they are 'playing' them), while the Cavs get the Arenas-less Wizards and Nets.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #435
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yawn. Pistons/Bulls has been more boring then the Pistons/Magic. At least the Magic made a few games interesting.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #436
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jeez....we're at 61-59 with 2 mins left in the first half in this Jazz game. I thought I could be mature and watch Carlos Boozer play and not hate the fuck, but fuck him. I want to see him get slapped around by stephen Jackson or something. And Matt Barnes is wearing Pantyhose....i thought they were banned last year.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #437
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm sure the Warriors can keep this pace up, but can the Jazz?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #438
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Jeez....we're at 61-59 with 2 mins left in the first half in this Jazz game. I thought I could be mature and watch Carlos Boozer play and not hate the fuck, but fuck him. I want to see him get slapped around by stephen Jackson or something. And Matt Barnes is wearing Pantyhose....i thought they were banned last year.

I hate Boozer as much as the next Cavs fan, but I have to admit that signing Gooden to the contract that we did did wonders to help me get over that whole incident.

I'm still very much 'Out' on Gooden and would love to see us hang on to Varejao and have him work his was in to a starting role, but for that '1-game-out-of-4' magic that Gooden is good for it makes his contract a pretty good move by the Cavs.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #439
watravaler
High School JV

That was the most fun I've ever had watching an NBA game. Deron Williams and Carlos Boozers played like superstars. It's games like this that showcase the aesthetic beauty of the professional game. Just, well, wow...

Last edited by watravaler : 05-08-2007 at 12:47 AM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #440
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

DAMN. Tough loss on the road, but it was nice to see that the game was played the Warriors pace. Most of the games in this series are going to be asbolute dogfights, I think. Good game, Utah.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #441
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Deron Williams of Utah, btw, is an amazing player. He has a very bright future...hell, he has a bright 'right now'.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 AM   #442
Vince
Pro Starter

Yeah...simply an amazing game. I think that Deron Williams could have been nailed for a charge late in the 4th, but it'd be a tough way to get fouled out, so it's hard to fault the refs. Simply an amazing game.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 AM   #443
kingfc22
Head Coach

Man, what a tough one to lose and can Nelly stop Jackson from trying to go one-on-one in the lane. He just ends up dribbling the ball of his foot or the defenders for a turnover half the time.

Kudos to Al Harrington for finally showing up this postseason as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:38 AM   #444
Fouts
College Starter

Great game. Utah needs game 2, because it will be real tough to keep up with the Warriors at home. I'm not a big Warriors fan, but they are fun to watch and I get to see a lot of their games. This is the first time I've seen the Jazz this year.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #445
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Despite their lack of articulation at times, I must say that I really appreciate the TNT halftime show commentators (Barkley, Smith and sometimes Magic.)

They do a good job of explaining the game in a way where it's actually interesting and yet, they don't have to spend a lot of time trying to make stuff more complicated than it is.

And they don't scream at you, like the ESPN guys all seem to.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #446
Vince
Pro Starter

Charles Barkley is an ass, but he entertains me.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #447
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This Nets squad really could use Krstic. The Cavs just abused them on the boards tonight.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #448
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I think he's a smart and a high-energy player, but right now the only way he'll score in the NBA is in transistion and off hustle plays. I think he'll be a nice spark plug off the bench, but I don't see him ever being a starting quality player on a good team which is why I'd hesitate to take him top 10. He'd benefit by going to a good team where not much will be asked of him straight away, like in Phoenix.
I'm not sure why you would draft a 3-year college starter in the top 7 and not expect him to play right away. If that's the case, he shouldn't be a top 10 pick. Phoenix is much more likely to take Brewer or Horford than Noah, IMO. Plus, Mike D doesn't like big guys that can't hit the 15 footer, so taking Noah wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if a guy like Horford is there.

Last edited by Arles : 05-09-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #449
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Looks like we may have a series now between San Antonio and Phoenix. Playing Kurt Thomas one-on-one with Duncan could make a difference. While Duncan will still get his 25-30, you keep guys like Finley, Horry, Manu, Barry and others in check by not leaving them open to double.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #450
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'm not sure why you would draft a 3-year college starter in the top 7 and not expect him to play right away. If that's the case, he shouldn't be a top 10 pick. Phoenix is much more likely to take Brewer or Horford than Noah, IMO. Plus, Mike D doesn't like big guys that can't hit the 15 footer, so taking Noah wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if a guy like Horford is there.

The Suns were really high on Noah last year and would have taken him then if they could have. This year it looks like they will probally pass on him in search of someone to replace Diaw whom will likely be traded in the offseason.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote