Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2006, 10:14 PM   #401
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm getting good at AP.. might have to try All Madden tomorrow.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #402
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Well aparently america has been reading FOFC and learning about all the bugs/issues brought up here and elsewhere. This has led them to hold off purchasing madden until more is learned or patchees are produced....

or not:

Quote:
Madden NFL 07 Passes 2 Million Mark

here is the best buy console games list for last week:

1. Madden NFL 07 (PS2)
2. Madden NFL 07 (360)
3. Madden NFL 07 (XBX)
4. Madden NFL 07: Hall of Fame Edition (PS2)
5. Madden NFL 07: Hall of Fame Edition (360)
6. Madden NFL 07 (PSP)
7. Madden NFL 07 (GCN)
8. Dead Rising (360)
9. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day (NDS)
10. New Super Mario Bros. (NDS)

um yeah, so america loves madden bugs or no bugs.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #403
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline
Well aparently america has been reading FOFC and learning about all the bugs/issues brought up here and elsewhere. This has led them to hold off purchasing madden until more is learned or patchees are produced....

or not:

um yeah, so america loves madden bugs or no bugs.

First week sales don't mean a whole lot for Madden. The end amount is what they are really concerned about. Two years ago, Madden received a pretty stern challenge from the ESPN game. As a result, they paid a handsome sum for the NFL exclusive licence. Last year, they had only a very slight increase in units sold, despite the fact that they didn't have any competition in the market. They came out with big headlines saying they had sold a record number of units. They had, but not by much. Most of that PR was just trying to drum up more sales because they were hurting in a bad way. It lead to big losses by EA and some restructuring in the Madden team.

If they don't see a big increase in the sales for this year, they are going to see more losses and have to really rethink their strategy of just relying on the name for sales alone. Even worse, the development costs are higher now on 360. Another bad year could cause more people to lose their jobs and put them in a bad position. Far larger software giants have fallen in a hurry by making the same mistakes that EA is starting to make in regard to business decisions.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #404
RGunner
High School JV

well i just bought a 360 and madden 07...so if anyone wants to play me on xbox live for an easy win my gamertag is kbz2286 feel free to add me.
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 AM   #405
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone gotten weird sim stats? I know the interceptions problem but I simmed a few seasons in and all the QBs are just dominating. I'm talking every starting QB putting up Pro Bowl numbers. I'm also seeing the computer draft QBs every year no matter who their QB is. The Jets drafted a QB in the first round 4 straight years.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:38 AM   #406
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Well, when you keep drafting Chad Pennington, you have to keep going to the well.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:40 AM   #407
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
Well, when you keep drafting Chad Pennington, you have to keep going to the well.
It might just be the Matt Millen bug.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:48 AM   #408
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It might just be the Matt Millen bug.
True.

Jimmy Johnson drafted Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh in the first round in the same year, I believe...though one was in the supplemental draft.

If I'm mistaken, please, shoot me.

I could use a bullet right about now.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #409
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Re: Alright Boyz!! Madden 07 impressions thread!!!

Quick question, and I hoping I am not going crazy here, but- isn't a roster spot suppose to open up when you place a player on Injured Reserve? Isn't that the point? I'm playing the regular xbox version and it does not seem to be happening. I actually had 2 wide receivers that I had to place on IR, but since they both were still taking up spots with this apparent bug, I was put in a pretty tough spot. I ended up having to use only 3 active WR's.

I've noticed some other bugs with training camp. First of all, on the drills if I use a 2nd or 3rd string player, for the first "rookie" level drills, they use my first string player at the position. For example they put in Willie Parker instead of my rookie back, or Hines Ward instead of my 2nd year WR. But when I move to the next round to try to get more points, it changes back to the player that it is suppose to be. Also, when the points are awarded at the end, it does give them to the correct player, not Parker or Ward for example.

Also, I was trying to boost up an OLB I have, who was rated at 81. So I did the chase and tackle which I, for some reason, am extremely good at. I played all the way through it (with the above mentioned bug happening too in the rookie round) and got gold on Madden level- so I earned 7 points. Only when it brings me to the screen to allocate the points, the guy is suddenly rated a 79 instead of an 81. So it is like I only earned 5 points because I had to make up for the mystery lost points.

I am just not sure what is up with EA Sports lately. They've always had bugs, but most games have some issues. But the last few years there have just been so many little and big issues with seemingly all their games across the board. Do they test them at all?
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #410
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

On all versions, the IR list has been improperly implemented for several years in a row. It is supposed to clear up a roster space, but not the cap space. On all versions, it is implemented incorrectly and it clears up cap space, but no roster space.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #411
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Hey guys, I have the PC version but I am having problems with it crashing. Even when I simply try to open the roster screen I am crashing back to desktop. Trying to play a game or franchise drill does the same thing. I'm assuming I need to update my laptop. Is this even realistically possible ($$$)? I was able to start a franchise and play around a bit there, but again, no dice with the drills. :-(

XP Home Service Pack 2
AMD 64
3400+
645 MHz, 512 MB of RAM

I know I need to get an upgrade with my laptop, but I am not sure how possible it may be?
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #412
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
On all versions, the IR list has been improperly implemented for several years in a row. It is supposed to clear up a roster space, but not the cap space. On all versions, it is implemented incorrectly and it clears up cap space, but no roster space.
Heh, yeah found that out the other day on the PC version. Mike Brown went out with a season ending injury for the Bears (surprise) and it allowed me to re-sign Nathan Vasher because of the extra money. Thanks EA.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #413
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I saw this posted on OS, by a regular user on there. Not sure where he got it from, but hopefully it's true and we'll see an update on the patch either today or tomorrow.

Update today from EAMikeJohnson:

"The roster update is for all systems. In regards to the patch. I'll have an update on this later today or tomorrow. It will not hit the same day as the roster updates. "

He also said the Rosters were still on track for Tuesday AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #414
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

F him and his friggin patch!

I think I'm taking this one back for something else.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #415
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
F him and his friggin patch!

I think I'm taking this one back for something else.

I'm holding off for a few more weeks on returning it, because I'm afraid I'll be tempted to buy again once the season is really rolling. Particularly true for me, if the patch fixes more than just fatigue (such as the interception doubling in the sim engine.)
Old 09-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #416
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I waiting for patch too
Old 09-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #417
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

For the first time ever (I think) I went to the EA forums. Here is a direct reply by their community rep, Mike Johnson, to a question:

Hey - the roster update doesn't include a patch. Unfortunately, these are two different files. The patch is still a week or two out, but we're working to bring this date in. Also keep in mind that the roster update is across platforms while the patch is 360 only.

I will follow up shortly with as much info as possible on this.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #418
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think as revenge for their crappiness, I will only buy used versions of EA games in the future, even though I hate used games. EA is trembling now!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #419
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm holding off for a few more weeks on returning it, because I'm afraid I'll be tempted to buy again once the season is really rolling. Particularly true for me, if the patch fixes more than just fatigue (such as the interception doubling in the sim engine.)

I have a feeling FOF will still fill the bill for me as my time is really going to be limited and what free time I have is going to a hockey game on the console.

Keep us updated though EF. I know you play the heck out of NCAA and soon to be maybe who knows patched Madden.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #420
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I keep on thinking I have been had this year on Madden. The game keeps freezing online, the rosters are woefully wrong, and the fatigue bug keeps me from playing a franchise. Ugh.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #421
jbmagic
Pro Starter

That why I dont understand why people like to preorder games.

Best to wait for impressions after the game hits the market.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #422
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
That why I dont understand why people like to preorder games.

Best to wait for impressions after the game hits the market.

Word.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 PM   #423
RGunner
High School JV

anyone wanna play on 360 live? kbz2286 or msg me on aim at kevo0522
Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #424
Coop
High School JV

Does anybody else have problems with freezing? I'm lucky if i can play a game before it locks up. the weird thing i have no problems with any other game except EA Sports game. I had the same problem with NCAA but not to this exent.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #425
dervack
College Prospect

So, the roster update is available. But I don't see how to download it. Has anyone else had any success grabbing it through the 360?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #426
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
So, the roster update is available. But I don't see how to download it. Has anyone else had any success grabbing it through the 360?

ditto
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:26 PM   #427
RGunner
High School JV

still lookin for someone to play against...kbz2286 on live or kevo0522 on aim...
Old 09-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #428
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post

I went online with the 360 (multiplayer) and did the quick game or connect or what ever, and it then said I needed the updated roster, which it then asked if I wanted to install.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:19 PM   #429
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
I went online with the 360 (multiplayer) and did the quick game or connect or what ever, and it then said I needed the updated roster, which it then asked if I wanted to install.

Seems like the only way to do it for sure on the 360.

However the current gen versions seem to prompt you for the download.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:55 AM   #430
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
Thanks man. I tried doing that when I first saw it was out, so I'll try it again tonight.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #431
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I actually had a lot of fun playing franchise in coach mode when I rented 07 for PS2 last week.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:59 AM   #432
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

EA Mike has finally given another response as to when the patch will be out:

Hey guys -

The patch is basically done and will go through testing and has to spend some time with MSFT to get tested there as well. I will have an update early next week once things are closer, which I will post in announcements.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:22 AM   #433
Tigercat
College Starter

Does anyone else wish Madden, or sports games in general, had an option to totally randomize rosters to start a new Franchise? I like to be able to play with real rosters and players as much as the next guy, but sometimes its nice to play with a clean sports universe. And after playing 07 for the last couple of weeks I could go for a league full of new random players.

Is there ever any 3rd party utilities for Madden PC that completely randomize the Madden player database?
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #434
dbd1963
High School JV

I have about lost interest in this game, and I have both the 360 and PC version. Call me an EA sucker, because I also bought Head Coach. I don't think I'm going to fall for it anymore. Unless someone posts about how the patch makes the game play like sweet nirvana, I'm not even going to download it.

Whenever 2K sports releases another football title, let me know..
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #435
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have so many games and so little time that Madden has already went back to the store. I'll continue playing NHL 07 on the console and TCY and OOTP 2006 on the PC. Should hold me over for quite some time.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #436
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm hoping that the patch at least makes the game playable for me. Hell, if they just fix the fatigue and the doubled interception numbers in franchise mode, I'll be set. I enjoyed the gameplay.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #437
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm hoping that the patch at least makes the game playable for me. Hell, if they just fix the fatigue and the doubled interception numbers in franchise mode, I'll be set. I enjoyed the gameplay.

Ditto. If those two things are fixed, I still could get my money's worth from the game. I like the basic gameplay.

However, I'm swearing that I won't get Madden on opening day next year. I'll want to hear there are positive reviews and no major glitches before I purchase next year.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #438
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

When is this "exclusive" licensing over with? I would love an NFL 2k game! I'm about fed up with EA and their teasing games.. the initial "wow" is there, but after that..........
Old 09-16-2006, 05:51 PM   #439
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

2010 or 2011, I believe, assuming that EA and the NFL don't extend it.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #440
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2010 or 2011, I believe, assuming that EA and the NFL don't extend it.

That sucks.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:33 PM   #441
dbd1963
High School JV

EA will have lost so much market share by then they won't want it.

I'm not ever buying another Madden game. I'm an old dog, but I think I can learn this one trick. "C'mere, boy! Sit! Ok, good boy, now, don't buy Madden!"
Old 09-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #442
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963 View Post
EA will have lost so much market share by then they won't want it.

You are completely insane.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #443
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You are completely insane.

Yup.. dbd1963 - did you see how many copies of Madden alone they sold already this year? HUGE numbers!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #444
dbd1963
High School JV

I'm trying to change reality with my Jedi mind trick.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #445
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yup.. dbd1963 - did you see how many copies of Madden alone they sold already this year? HUGE numbers!

Actually, MizzouRah, EA is actually still behind where they thought they would be at this point. The exclusivity contract puts a large hole in what would otherwise be a profitable game.

Consider the numbers. The contract was for $1 billion through 2011. So, it was a 6 year deal. Divide that amount by the number of years and you get a price of $166 million per year. If you assume a profit of $40/unit (which may be generous), they have to sell 4 million games just to get their money back on the exclusivity contract. Add in development costs and the number of units needed grows even more.

There's a reason that EA took a loss last year. Most likely, they will take a smaller loss, but still a loss this year. They were planning on exponential growth in their franchise by securing the exclusivity contract. EA assumed that if they got the exclusive contract, all the units that were sold by 2K Sports would just be tacked onto the EA sales totals. What they failed to take into account was that many gamers bought both games and that the sales figures didn't go up as much as they thought. It hasn't panned out like they thought it would. Add on the fact that this year's iffy release on the 360 has soured the casual gamer from possibly buying right away next year, and you have a mess on your hands. While EA will try to bury the losses like they did last year, there are sites like Joystix and Kotaku along with blogs like Bill Harris that will point it out when it happens again this year.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #446
dbd1963
High School JV

I see that the force is strong in this one.. I mean me.

"This is not the troll we were looking for.. move along!"
Old 09-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #447
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm proud that FOFC's resident EA whore managed to avoid buying Madden this year. Of course, I'd be happier if they'd just put out a game worth buying...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:14 AM   #448
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Actually, MizzouRah, EA is actually still behind where they thought they would be at this point. The exclusivity contract puts a large hole in what would otherwise be a profitable game.

Consider the numbers. The contract was for $1 billion through 2011. So, it was a 6 year deal. Divide that amount by the number of years and you get a price of $166 million per year. If you assume a profit of $40/unit (which may be generous), they have to sell 4 million games just to get their money back on the exclusivity contract. Add in development costs and the number of units needed grows even more.

There's a reason that EA took a loss last year. Most likely, they will take a smaller loss, but still a loss this year. They were planning on exponential growth in their franchise by securing the exclusivity contract. EA assumed that if they got the exclusive contract, all the units that were sold by 2K Sports would just be tacked onto the EA sales totals. What they failed to take into account was that many gamers bought both games and that the sales figures didn't go up as much as they thought. It hasn't panned out like they thought it would. Add on the fact that this year's iffy release on the 360 has soured the casual gamer from possibly buying right away next year, and you have a mess on your hands. While EA will try to bury the losses like they did last year, there are sites like Joystix and Kotaku along with blogs like Bill Harris that will point it out when it happens again this year.

All I know, is they have been getting great press this year and that will only booster the only football console franchise in the nation... sadly. Maybe they are losing money.. in fact, if they didn't pay out all of that money for exclusiveness.. they might be making some money. ??
Old 09-18-2006, 10:39 AM   #449
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
All I know, is they have been getting great press this year and that will only booster the only football console franchise in the nation... sadly. Maybe they are losing money.. in fact, if they didn't pay out all of that money for exclusiveness.. they might be making some money. ??

Not sure where you've seen the 'great press'. Most of the gaming sites have been pretty hard on the game. I've seen 3 articles bashing them pretty good for their total lack of responsiveness regarding the patch to fix all problems that was supposed to be out by the release date, yet it has still failed to materialize. Reviews have been average and most of the well-recognized gaming blogs have been heavily critical of the game.

Hard to tell how the lack of the exclusive license would affect Madden. Honestly, they might not have even been a player because if EA didn't get it, someone else would have got it. EA is ending up being the test case that shows just how stupid it was to spend money on an exclusive license.

Now, if they had left everything alone and had no exlusive licence to anyone, Madden would probably still be on top and would easily be making money. They are a victim of their own decisions in this case. Unfortunately, they're stuck with this decision until 2011. Who knows how much money they will have lost at that point.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #450
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Can you show me a link where it says the deal was for 1 billion dollars? Everywhere I read it was about 300 million for the 5 year deal.