Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #401
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
oh crap. ESPN is reporting that Childress might get a new contract in the bye week.

Just wait for when Favre does retire. He's screwed unless the Vikens pull another QB out of their rear.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #402
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

Not sure what to make of this. Cable claims he only hit his wife once, over 20 years ago, when she committed adultery. Not trying to excuse the guy, just to say I can sorta understand it even if I don't approve. This second incident with the girlfriend, he grabbed her by the arm and claimed the police investigated. That should be easy enough to check out.

All that said, it's pretty clear he has an anger issue and does lash out violently, even if it may not be as often as it is being portrayed (and who knows, maybe it is that often).

Also, if it's true ESPN only contacted him on Friday and wouldn't divulge any details of the story they were doing, Cable's attorney is right, that is pretty shitty journalism.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #403
Arles
Grey Dog Software

So, basically an incident he fessed up to before (back in 1989) and an incident where he was cleared by the police (involving a girl who is on record as stating "I am going to ruin your [expletive deleted] life and I am going to ruin your [expletive deleted] career if it is the last thing I ever do") are their two pieces of groundbreaking evidence. That's a major story why?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #404
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
So, basically an incident he fessed up to before (back in 1989) and an incident where he was cleared by the police (involving a girl who is on record as stating "I am going to ruin your [expletive deleted] life and I am going to ruin your [expletive deleted] career if it is the last thing I ever do") are their two pieces of groundbreaking evidence. That's a major story why?

lol...the 1989 thing was already public knowledge? Haha...way to go, ESPN. Really groundbreaking there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #405
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Warner has 3 INT's, Delhomme none. Carolina played a great first half, got to the QB, ran the ball well, and broke a couple big plays. Very very nice to see.

This was the result I expected against the Giants, not against a team with a sucky QB, two of its recieving corps out and the best run defense in the NFL. Warner has one or two of these games every season where he just implodes. I hope its the last one for this season, cause no way they should have lost this game at home, at least that badly. Very disappointed in my Cards this week.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #406
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Ted Ginn still sucks.

That is all.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #407
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I just think 'plane of the end zone' is a stupid rule in the first place - and you can disagree with me all you want on that - and it's fucking retarded that you can combine it with a guy who can't go anywhere, and nearly anywhere else on the field that play gets whistled dead, but because he might be able to stretch his arm out a few feet, it's allowed to continue so that maybe he can wave the football over the end zone for a second and a half.

What would the alternative be? Actually touching the ball down in the end zone a la rugby? Getting one foot in? Getting a toe in? An elbow? A face? Seems like the ball is the most objective thing here.

Quote:
Move the ball back ten yards and say it's 4th and inches instead of 4th and goal - can he wave the ball over the plane of the first down line and get the call if he gets stuffed, or is that just a subjective spot-of-the-ball thing for the official? Honest question. Are the rules consistent that way?

The rule is the same--the ball is spotted at the point of forward progress.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #408
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I need to read these threads more often for the UIC.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #409
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
LOL, Let me guess you took Fred Taylor in the 1st round of your fantasy draft? How is that working out for you?

My lack of sarcasm tags claims another victim, I see.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #410
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am as likely to give Tom Cable the benefit of the doubt as I am Brandon Marshall. If I remember correctly he was also cleared of the charges against him. YMMV
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-02-2009 at 06:02 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #411
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

No comments on tonight's game yet?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #412
Tigercat
College Starter

Someone threw a bottle on the field during a Saints TD, and the home team gets a 15 yard penalty. Not saying it wasn't a Saints fan, probably was, but that just encourages a fan from the other team to throw objects on the field so the home team is penalized. Stupid penalty, almost as stupid as the idiot who threw the bottle.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #413
Tigercat
College Starter

Dola, ok the ruling ended up being excessive celebration and not the bottle as they were saying on ESPN. Good thing, the NFL doesn't need anymore circus to it.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #414
mckerney
Coordinator

Go Falcons. Both the Saints and Vikings have pretty easy schedules after this week, would be great if they Vikes could get the slight edge in the race for home field advantage that would come with the Saints losing today.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #415
Tigercat
College Starter

I have seen multiple offensive PIs this year called on a WR who initiated and finished contact before the ball was out of the QBs hands. What is up with that?

Drew Brees been a little sloppy with the ball the last couple of weeks.

Last edited by Tigercat : 11-02-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #416
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Insert dagger and twist

Old 11-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #417
Tigercat
College Starter

Jason Elam looks well past his shelf date.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #418
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Fun game so far

Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #419
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Jason Elam looks well past his shelf date.

Kicking at sea level rather than a mile up is a bitch.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #420
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

whoa Atlanta

Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #421
Tigercat
College Starter

White did everything but take Greer's money on that play. That was an obvious prolonged pushoff, not sure the justification for not calling it. At least White just won me my fantasy game.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #422
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Saints showing some weakness these past couple of weeks. Defense looks like it did last year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #423
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Saints showing some weakness these past couple of weeks. Defense looks like it did last year.

I don't remember the defense last year leading the NFL in takeaways. The Saints D has allowed 17 points tonight and scored 7. (With another INT in the redzone after the offense gave Atlanta the ball there.)

Your weekly attempts to talk badly about one of the best teams in the NFL are comical.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #424
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't remember the defense last year leading the NFL in takeaways. The Saints D has allowed 17 points tonight and scored 7. (With another INT in the redzone after the offense gave Atlanta the ball there.)

Your weekly attempts to talk badly about one of the best teams in the NFL are comical.

Give me the 6 points on missed FGs back. and that is still 23 against a very average offense after giving up 36 to an even more average offense last week.

Takeaways doesnt make for a great defense FYI. Good teams dont tend to turn the ball over. Depending on that to get to the Super Bowl wont get you very far.

And I never said the Saints werent one of the best teams in the NFL. They are one of the 5 best. Hard to say at this point. Every great team seems to have glaring weaknesses right now.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-02-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #425
FBPro
College Starter

Zebras have given this one to the "beloved" 'aints.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #426
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Give me the 6 points on missed FGs back.

Umm, no. Are you serious?

Quote:
Takeaways doesnt make for a great defense FYI. Good teams dont tend to turn the ball over. Depending on that to get to the Super Bowl wont get you very far.

Takeaways can certainly make a defense great. Would you suggest Ed Reed isn't a great player because his takeaways don't matter? The Saints have forced turnovers this year on everyone they have played, even good teams.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #427
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
Zebras have given this one to the "beloved" 'aints.

Eh? Like the textbook White pushoff on the long TD? Like the ball White clearly dropped in the endzone that the ref right there managed to miss somehow? (At least replay got it right.) Saints plenty earned this game by getting the INT when they needed it and driving down the Falcon's throats when it counted.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #428
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Umm, no. Are you serious?

Takeaways can certainly make a defense great. Would you suggest Ed Reed isn't a great player because his takeaways don't matter? The Saints have forced turnovers this year on everyone they have played, even good teams.

LOL, So the Saints created them missed FGs? Sure Tigercat.

Has nothing to do with Ed Reed being a great player. Ed Reed does more than just create TOs. Teams like the Colts, Patriots, and Steelers dont turn the ball over much. Turnovers are usually created by playing bad teams. Name a good team that turns the ball over a lot?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #429
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Eh? Like the textbook White pushoff on the long TD? Like the ball White clearly dropped in the endzone that the ref right there managed to miss somehow? (At least replay got it right.) Saints plenty earned this game by getting the INT when they needed it and driving down the Falcon's throats when it counted.

The defender interfered first then White pushed off. Probably should have been offsetting. Im guessing he let White get away with it because the defender created the contact in the first place.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #430
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Saints are a lot like the Bengals from a few years ago. Totally unrealistic amount of turnovers generated. Let alone the pick sixes. This team goes down hard if they play anyone good. Or have to leave the sanctuary of their indoor home.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #431
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
LOL, So the Saints created them missed FGs? Sure Tigercat.

When did I say that? I just refuse, like any sane person would, to debate on points that didn't happen like they did happen. That is not the basis of a sound argument.

Quote:
Has nothing to do with Ed Reed being a great player. Ed Reed does more than just create TOs. Teams like the Colts, Patriots, and Steelers dont turn the ball over much. Turnovers are usually created by playing bad teams. Name a good team that turns the ball over a lot?

Just because great teams are generally good at not turning the ball over doesn't mean a thing. Great teams are good at lots of facets of the game, that is why they are great. Obvious much?

And the Saints D does more than just create turnovers, they are top 10 in yards allowed and points allowed as well.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #432
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Actually they are 17th in Points Allowed per game and 11th in yards allowed per game prior to tonight.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #433
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Let alone the pick sixes. This team goes down hard if they play anyone good.

The Saints have played a harder schedule than teams like the Colts and Vikings and have beaten everyone by double digits.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #434
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Delayed dola
The Saints should go 14-2 this year. Their schedule is easy. So they might not have to play away til the Super Bowl. Which will be their true test probably.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #435
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:

White DID drop the ball no question but def pass interference should have been called. The def holding call a bit later against ATL not sure where they were watching when that was called. Whatever.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #436
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The Saints have played a harder schedule than teams like the Colts and Vikings and have beaten everyone by double digits.

Vikings have played the Ravens, Steelers and Packers twice. Not sure how that schedule has been easier than what the Saints have played. At the time it appeared the Giants were tough but they look like barely a wild card team at his point? Who else? The team that lost to the Raiders?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #437
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Vikings have played the Ravens, Steelers and Packers twice. Not sure how that schedule has been easier than what the Saints have played. At the time it appeared the Giants were tough but they look like barely a wild card team at his point? Who else? The team that lost to the Raiders?

See:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl09.htm

Vikings are close, but Saints are a shade better in strength of schedule. (And a shade definitely means something when you have no losses to one.) And the Saints strength of schedule goes even higher after tonight's game I believe.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #438
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:

And the Vikings beat the Browns, got unbelievably lucky to beat the Niners, and the team that lost to the Rams. Your point?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #439
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

OK Ill give u that I was actually looking at it at the same time. Vikings are 3-1 against top 10 teams and the Saints are 0-0(1-0) after tonight perhaps if the Falcons dont drop out. Saints must have played a lot of teams between 11-20 is all I can figure out.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #440
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
And the Vikings beat the Browns, got unbelievably lucky to beat the Niners, and the team that lost to the Rams. Your point?

??? Ok

Vikings got lucky to beat the Lions or is that what are you saying? Steelers got lucky to beat the Lions. I have no idea what this means.

Vikings and Saints have clearly been better than all the teams they have played this year. I didnt think that was debatable. As lucky as the Vikings were against the niners they were equally unlucky against the Steelers. Its the breaks in football.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-02-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #441
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Awesome game

Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #442
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
??? Ok

Vikings got lucky to beat the Lions or is that what are you saying? Steelers got lucky to beat the Lions. I have no idea what this means.

You were bashing the teams the Saints played by saying they beat Philly, the team that lost to the Raiders. The Vikings beat the Lions, the team that lost to the Rams.

Basically I'm saying your strength of schedule argument is, um, pretty weak.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #443
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
You were bashing the teams the Saints played by saying they beat Philly, the team that lost to the Raiders. The Vikings beat the Lions, the team that lost to the Rams.

Basically I'm saying your strength of schedule argument is, um, pretty weak.

Perhaps but I never considered the Rams one of the toughest games on the Vikings schedule. I guess Id consider Giants, Eagles, and Falcons the 3 toughest teams the Saints have played so the fact that the Eagles lost to the Raiders has to have some merit.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #444
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

It seems more than just a little bit biased to try to discount the Saints wins over the Giants and Eagles and give your team credit for two wins over Green Bay, who, if you'll look, has a worse record than both the eagles and giants, and 3 of their 4 wins are against St Louis, Detroit, and Cleveland.

3 of Minnesota's wins are against the worst teams in the league(cleveland, detroit, st louis), two against Green Bay who haven't proven they can beat anyone at all yet, and a San Francisco team who is at best a bit of an engima and at worst an under .500 team who probably is a long shot for the playoffs. That leaves a Baltimore win and a loss to Pittsburgh.

New Orleans has only one gimme win against those "bottom 8 teams" that I think should be totally discounted, and wins over three legit playoff contenders in Atlanta, the Giants, and Eagles. All flawed, but all with the same or better records than anyone Minnesota has beaten.

I think they're both great teams. At this point, the NFC is New Orleans,Minnesota, and everyone else IMO. I would *love* to see them both in the NFC Title game and have thoroughly enjoyed watching both of them this year.

The saints schedule does get really easy the rest of the way with a glut of games against those horrible bottom 8 teams, but to this point so far I think its pretty close to a wash.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #445
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Argh.. got my hopes up tonight and then had them crushed, only to get my hopes up again to just have them crushed again on a longshot at that!

What an evil game

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #446
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Fair enough Radi. According to Jeff Sagarin(not sure if you put any stock into his computer rankings or not) Green Bay is ranked ahead of any team the Saints have played other than Atlanta. However I do agree that I shouldnt discount the Saints wins over the Giant or Eagles whom I actually do feel are much better than they have been playing.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-02-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #447
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Plus I'm pretty sure that the Saints D is rated pretty highly by Football Outsiders' metrics. The team reminds me a lot of the Rams from '99 and '01.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #448
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

They are 5th. Green Bay is 1, Not sure how the hell that is.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #449
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Fair enough Radi. According to Jeff Sagarin(not sure if you put any stock into his computer rankings or not) Green Bay is ranked ahead of any team the Saints have played other than Atlanta. However I do agree that I shouldnt discount the Saints wins over the Giant or Eagles whom I actually do feel are much better than they have been playing.

9-13 in Sagarin's overall ratings are very very close to each other, Minnesota has lost to #9, beaten #10 twice, while New Orleans has beaten #11 and #12. Seems like it pretty much jives with my thinking. The Vikings have the best win by far(Ravens), but they're also not undefeated and have had 3 gimmes. The Saints have only had one gimme and a lot of pretty good wins, plus they're still undefeated. Seems like a wash to me that needs to get settled in January

Last edited by Radii : 11-02-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #450
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It's absolutely beautiful to watch Drew Brees' accuracy when he throws the ball. 1 yard in front of the receivers on crossing routes, perfectly to the back shoulder on sideline routes. Even when he "missed" by 2-3 inches dropping a 35 yard pass between defenders it required a heroic interception to defend it.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-03-2009 at 12:44 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote