Hall Of Famer

yeah BC! kickass boys!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #402
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think USF has to be big Auburn and WVU fans for the rest of this season. Those two teams could both be in the top 12 of the BCS by the end of the season. I'm not sure BC or Ohio State will have any top 12 teams on their resume at the end of the year (since they still have to play the highly ranked teams left on their schedule, while USF already has Ws over WVU and Auburn).

I think on of Louisville, Rutgers, or Cincy will probably be ranked or nearly ranked by the end of the season, so they will have maybe one more opportunity for a quality win. WVU still has to play all three of those teams, though, so one of them could boost their ranking, while knocking WVU down into the high teens.

If Michigan wins out they'll probably be around 15 going into the UM/OSU game. So OSU fans need to hope UM wins out going into The Game to have a shot at the NC assuming BC and USF win out
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #403
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Oklahoma, Cal, and USC all ahead of Arizona State?

Arizona State beat Colorado, while OU lost to the Buffs (albeit in Boulder). Cal and USC have losses to middling (or poor) PAC-10 teams at home. That is criminal.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:05 PM   #404
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

Arizona State beat Colorado, while OU lost to the Buffs (albeit in Boulder). Cal and USC have losses to middling (or poor) PAC-10 teams at home. That is criminal.

To be fair, this is about the time ASU starts to tank
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:06 PM   #405
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

Sorry, everyone knows that Team A win over Team B that pulls off big upset over Huge Team C =! Team A > Huge Team C. It's the body of work.

OU has beaten Texas. Cal has beaten Tennessee and Oregon. USC has beaten Nebraska. They all came with more press clippings, too (which, regardless of how you feel about it, is the system we have). I think it's completely fair to rank all three of those teams ahead of a team which has, IMO, played just about absolutely no one.

Even as down as I am about Dorrell, I wouldn't give ASU a pass on beating UCLA in the Rose Bowl--something they haven't done in a while--much less beating Cal or USC.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #406
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
If Michigan wins out they'll probably be around 15 going into the UM/OSU game. So OSU fans need to hope UM wins out going into The Game to have a shot at the NC assuming BC and USF win out

Agreed, but OSU beating Michigan would knock Michigan back into the high teens prior to the final BCS poll.

Edit: Not that it won't be a quality win, but just pointing out that, by virtue of USF having already beaten WVU and Auburn early in the season, it gives those two teams time to recover in the polls and make them look better in the final rankings.

Last edited by Swaggs : 10-14-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #407
Swaggs
Coordinator

BCS rankings from foxsports.com:

Quote:
The standings
1. Ohio State; 2. South Florida; 3. Boston College; 4. LSU; 5. Oklahoma; 6. South Carolina; 7. Kentucky; 8. Arizona State; 9. West Virginia; 10. Oregon.

11. Virginia Tech; 12. California; 13. Kansas; 14. Southern Cal; 15. Florida; 16. Missouri; 17. Auburn; 18. Hawaii; 19. Virginia; 20. Georgia.

Hawaii is not in too bad of a position--they could be much worse off. If they win out, they could pretty well find themselves ranked high enough to get an auto bid or they could conceibably find themselves ahead of one of the BCS conference champs. Hard to believe that Southern Cal is that low right now--LSU or Oklahoma could possibly lose again in a conference championship and still be ahead of a one-loss USC, which would be pretty hard to believe.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #408
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

wow , I will take 18 right now for sure.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #409
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hawaii is not in too bad of a position--they could be much worse off. If they win out, they could pretty well find themselves ranked high enough to get an auto bid or they could conceibably find themselves ahead of one of the BCS conference champs. Hard to believe that Southern Cal is that low right now--LSU or Oklahoma could possibly lose again in a conference championship and still be ahead of a one-loss USC, which would be pretty hard to believe.

I think a one loss USC team will be very high. They still have to play Oregon, ASU and Cal (and UCLA and Notre Dame, for what good that does).
Old 10-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #410
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think a one loss USC team will be very high. They still have to play Oregon, ASU and Cal (and UCLA and Notre Dame, for what good that does).

I think it is possible for them to get back into the picture, but they will need a ton of help. Recall last season that it seemed like a huge, uphill climb for a one-loss Florida to get back into the national title picture (remember that the argument, even towards the end of the season was who between a one-loss Florida, USC, and the loser of the Michigan/Ohio State game would get to face the Michigan State/Ohio State winner). Well, Florida was #6 in the BCS poll at this time last season.

So, I agree with you that they can get back in. But, even three weeks ago, if you told me that a one-loss USC would be behind a number of other one-loss teams in the BCS, it would be hard for me to believe.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #411
Swaggs
Coordinator

I haven't been banging the USF drum much (even though I am a Big East homer) because they don't do very much for me as far as passing the "looks test," but looking at their resume compared to Ohio State's, it is really tough to justify Ohio State being ahead of them in the human polls.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #412
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

USC is low now, but if they win out and LSU or Oklahoma loses again, I'm sure they would be higher than either team in the polls and I think that would compensate for the low computer rankings. Still, USC need all of the undefeated teams ahead of them to lose and they need to start winning more impressively which won't happen if their OL doesn't get healthy quickly.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #413
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I am impressed by South Carolina's ranking. The Head Ball Coach has to be one of the best if not the best coach in college football. He has had success with every team he has coached, and one of those teams was Duke.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #414
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I haven't been banging the USF drum much (even though I am a Big East homer) because they don't do very much for me as far as passing the "looks test," but looking at their resume compared to Ohio State's, it is really tough to justify Ohio State being ahead of them in the human polls.

Geez, even from Swaggs, the Big East Homer? I just don't get this. I have no connection to the Big East, but South Florida to me is clearly the best team in the country. As well coached as they are, I'll be shocked if they lose a game before the bowls start.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #415
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That's the big difference. In the NFL, you have a very clear, formulaic system of comparing apples to apples in determining seedings. In college, the best that can happen is to compare apples to oranges.

And I again say - if this is so, why does it work for I-AA football and EVERY OTHER NCAA team sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #416
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Geez, even from Swaggs, the Big East Homer? I just don't get this. I have no connection to the Big East, but South Florida to me is clearly the best team in the country. As well coached as they are, I'll be shocked if they lose a game before the bowls start.
I guess I see the same things that Swaggs sees in regards to USF. While they match up very well with WVU, I'd be shocked if they didn't lose to both Rutgers and Louisville. The USF defense won't be able to handle the straight ahead running of Ray Rice & UL's Brohm will light them up....they'll need to win shootouts in both of those contests and I really don't think their offense is polished enough to keep up.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #417
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
I guess I see the same things that Swaggs sees in regards to USF. While they match up very well with WVU, I'd be shocked if they didn't lose to both Rutgers and Louisville. The USF defense won't be able to handle the straight ahead running of Ray Rice & UL's Brohm will light them up....they'll need to win shootouts in both of those contests and I really don't think their offense is polished enough to keep up.

If they stopped Slaton, why couldn't they stop Brohm? Not sure a team that can man up to WVU's running attack couldn't find a way to stop Rice either.

Keep in mind, I agree with you that I think they will lose at least one game. But I disagree that the reasons you state will actually happen to the extent you may think.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #418
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
If they stopped Slaton, why couldn't they stop Brohm? Not sure a team that can man up to WVU's running attack couldn't find a way to stop Rice either.
Completely different offensive attacks. WVU's rushing attack is predicated on getting their backs into open space and running away from the opposition. While the have the ability (with the big back) to power their way to yards occassionally, if you take away the open space, their offense falters. That's how USF contained them...their defense has the speed to cover inside and outside, thus taking away WVU's strength.

As for Rutgers & Louisville, the Knights attack defenses by pounding the ball and getting Rice into the second level...USF speed won't change that much. The Bulls are a little weak on the front line and Rutgers should be able to consistantly open holes for Rice. With Louisville, the only way to stop them is with stellar DB play...and even USF fans will tell you that the secondary is their weak point. I figure that USF will be able to generate some pressure on Brohm, but Louisville line play has shown that no one can really shut them down. Just ask Cincy.

As for the USF offense moving the ball, they definitely have the horses to keep up, but Grothe still makes too many mistakes out there and, like I said, I'd be shocked if he shores up his play enough to eliminate all his errors. I mean, their win over WVU was basically setup by the defense containing WVU and USF getting lucky on offense. They can't rely on that type of luck against the other big teams in the conference.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #419
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

As great as Grothe is/can be, he will make 2-4 terrible decisions every game. It's a matter of whether defenses capitalize on these mistakes that dictates whether or not they win.

While I can see USF running the table in the BE, it wouldn't be any more surprising to see them lose 3 games.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #420
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Rutgers still scares me with their power running. Louisville not so much, as USF has a great pass rush and really solid corners. And at least Louisville and Cincy are home games.

Regardless, USF is leading the charmed life. It may (probably will?) all come crashing down next week at Rutgers, and the season could fall apart after that. But I am loving a 2nd place ranking and getting first-place votes. Plus they are a fun team to watch.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #421
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
As great as Grothe is/can be, he will make 2-4 terrible decisions every game. It's a matter of whether defenses capitalize on these mistakes that dictates whether or not they win.

While I can see USF running the table in the BE, it wouldn't be any more surprising to see them lose 3 games.

Just out of curiosity, how many college quarterbacks do you think make FEWER than 2-4 terrible decisions each game?

Also, I agree that Rutgers is probably USF's toughest matchup. But I still think that's an easy win for them.

knives out
Old 10-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #422
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how many college quarterbacks do you think make FEWER than 2-4 terrible decisions each game?

Also, I agree that Rutgers is probably USF's toughest matchup. But I still think that's an easy win for them.

If I could have used a stronger word than "terrible," I would have. I'm talking about things like "There's one WR downfield, flanked by 2 DBs, a safety, and a LB, but I'll force it in there anyway," "Hey, that guy is wearing a red jersey, and there's not a white jersey anywhere near him, but I'll throw it to him anyway and hope one of my guys magically appears," and "It's 4th and 18, I'll run a QB draw."

So to answer your question, I think he ranks pretty high on the bonehead list.

I think you're completely crazy for thinking this will be an easy win.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:11 PM   #423
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I think you're completely crazy for thinking this will be an easy win.

Yeah, well. When I bet heavily on USF to beat WVU the guys I was with said I was crazy.

I do hope I'm wrong - I always root for no undefeateds (except Wisconsin).

knives out
Old 10-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #424
Logan
Head Coach

You should've let me know...I would've thrown down with you.

Like VPI said, USF matches up much better with the WVU offense thanks to their overall defensive speed. I think we'll be able to both run and pass on them though. Should be fun...can't wait for Thursday night, gonna get to the tailgate around maybe 1 .
Old 10-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #425
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
USC is low now, but if they win out and LSU or Oklahoma loses again, I'm sure they would be higher than either team in the polls and I think that would compensate for the low computer rankings. Still, USC need all of the undefeated teams ahead of them to lose and they need to start winning more impressively which won't happen if their OL doesn't get healthy quickly.

You seriously think SC has a chance to go undefeated? I see big losses to both Cal and Oregon in our future and there are trap games galore even if we win both of those. Hell, we could easily lose 5 games if we get the good UCLA team and ASU doesn't tank.

If we get everybody healthy for the Cal and Oregon games we have a shot, but right now the results against common opponents scare the crap out of me.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #426
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I really do think that they have the best resume at this point in the season. None of the other undefeateds have as good of wins as USF.

My point was that they win ugly, but they win.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #427
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Completely different offensive attacks. WVU's rushing attack is predicated on getting their backs into open space and running away from the opposition. While the have the ability (with the big back) to power their way to yards occassionally, if you take away the open space, their offense falters. That's how USF contained them...their defense has the speed to cover inside and outside, thus taking away WVU's strength.

As for Rutgers & Louisville, the Knights attack defenses by pounding the ball and getting Rice into the second level...USF speed won't change that much. The Bulls are a little weak on the front line and Rutgers should be able to consistantly open holes for Rice. With Louisville, the only way to stop them is with stellar DB play...and even USF fans will tell you that the secondary is their weak point. I figure that USF will be able to generate some pressure on Brohm, but Louisville line play has shown that no one can really shut them down. Just ask Cincy.

As for the USF offense moving the ball, they definitely have the horses to keep up, but Grothe still makes too many mistakes out there and, like I said, I'd be shocked if he shores up his play enough to eliminate all his errors. I mean, their win over WVU was basically setup by the defense containing WVU and USF getting lucky on offense. They can't rely on that type of luck against the other big teams in the conference.

Interestingly, the rumor on why Rick Trickett (the well-regarded OL coach that left WVU for FSU prior to this season) was that a big reason he left was that during the USF game last year (when USF also beat us in an ugly, ugly game), at halftime, he told Coach Rodriguez that we should just line up and pound them up the middle with Owen Schmitt and Steve Slaton. He felt like our offensive line was capable of overpowering them, but Coach Rod did not want to go away from his game plan of spreading the field and that they got into a pretty heated exchange over it.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #428
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
You should've let me know...I would've thrown down with you.

Like VPI said, USF matches up much better with the WVU offense thanks to their overall defensive speed. I think we'll be able to both run and pass on them though. Should be fun...can't wait for Thursday night, gonna get to the tailgate around maybe 1 .

I think Rutgers will have a tough time passing against USF. They have two of the top five CBs in the nation according to Mel Kiper, and an outstanding, but smallish, pass rushing DE in George Selvie. I think Rutgers has pretty solid receivers, but I haven't been too impressed with Teel against good competition. I'm not sure Rutgers has the team speed to compete with USF this season, but I think they may be able to play good, ball-control offense against them and put themselves in position to win.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #429
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Boise State 41 - Nevada 41 with 6:00 to play.. I didn't even know this game was ON!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #430
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nevada now up 44-41, but Boise State just returned a KO about 60 yards.. Un freaking real.

(This game is live on ESPN 2)
Old 10-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #431
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

:03 to play, Boise State to take a 27 yard FG to tie it up and send it to OT.

EDIT: GOOD! We're heading to OT

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-14-2007 at 10:23 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #432
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I know I'm the only one watching now.. but the first OT lasted two whole plays..

Nevada Run: TD! (XP Good)

Boise St Pass: TD! (XP Good)

This could take a while..

EDIT: First play of 2nd OT.. Boise State Passes for a TD! SICK! SICK SICK SICK I TELL YOU!

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-14-2007 at 10:33 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #433
st.cronin
General Manager

I've been watching this game, its been quite WACky.

knives out
Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #434
st.cronin
General Manager

And now, 3 plays, 3 tds.

knives out
Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #435
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Yes, I know I'm the only one watching now.. but the first OT lasted two whole plays..

Nevada Run: TD! (XP Good)

Boise St Pass: TD! (XP Good)

This could take a while

lol

And the first play in second OT is a touchdown, as well.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #436
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Wow, what a QB run.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #437
st.cronin
General Manager

I think that's 4 tds on 5 plays now.

knives out
Old 10-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #438
Swaggs
Coordinator

I just turned this on, and I think I may be imagining things, but did the color man just compare Nevada's QB to Vince Young?!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #439
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I just turned this on, and I think I may be imagining things, but did the color man just compare Nevada's QB to Vince Young?!

Well, he is pretty good in the open field. But these announcers are a little punchy now.

knives out
Old 10-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #440
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The run was like Vince Young's in the Rose Bowl.

1205 yards between the two teams.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #441
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This is the perfect counterprogramming for Sunday Night NFL blowouts
Old 10-14-2007, 10:47 PM   #442
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The SportsCenter guys might as well go home at this point, they've lost 47 minutes of their show
Old 10-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #443
molson
General Manager

Another ordinary day for the Broncos.

Last edited by molson : 10-14-2007 at 10:58 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 PM   #444
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

69-67.. The final shot bounced out at the buzzer...
Old 10-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #445
st.cronin
General Manager

69-67. Too bad, I was hoping one or both teams would break triple digits.

knives out
Old 10-14-2007, 11:52 PM   #446
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:

Keep in mind, I agree with you that I think they will lose at least one game. But I disagree that the reasons you state will actually happen to the extent you may think.

They didn't stop WVU they created turnovers for easy scores. Even with 6 turnovers WVU outgained them 436-270 and had 200 yards rushing.

Last edited by Mike1409 : 10-14-2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: grammar
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:38 AM   #447
Butter
Coordinator

USF doesn't have the offense needed to beat a top-10 defense the likes of which they will probably face in the national title game, if it comes to that. I think USF will lose at least once, if not more. Louisville, Rutgers, and Cincy will all have something to prove against the Bulls, and I know at least 2 of those are on the road for USF.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #448
Logan
Head Coach

I believe the early line is USF -3. I thought it would be about 6.

Last edited by Logan : 10-15-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #449
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I am impressed by South Carolina's ranking. The Head Ball Coach has to be one of the best if not the best coach in college football. He has had success with every team he has coached, and one of those teams was Duke.

+1

The rumor down this way is that there is a well heeled group of boosters at A&M that are looking to raise $50 million to buy out Franchione's contract and offer Spurrier $4 mil to $5 mil per to coach the Aggies.

Not sure if it is all pie in the sky. If somehow he is able to bring a BCS title to South Carolina, he might feel he's done enough in the SEC and would want to come to the Big 12 South to show Stoops and Brown what the "Ol' Ball Coach" can do.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #450
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
USF doesn't have the offense needed to beat a top-10 defense the likes of which they will probably face in the national title game, if it comes to that. I think USF will lose at least once, if not more. Louisville, Rutgers, and Cincy will all have something to prove against the Bulls, and I know at least 2 of those are on the road for USF.

10/18at Rutgers7:30 PM
10/27at UConnTBD
11/03#23 CincyTBD
11/10at SyracuseTBD
11/17LouisvilleTBD
11/24at PittsburghTBD

Cincy and Louisville are both home games.