Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #401
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

What's the over/under on days until Bill Parcells punches T.O. in the face?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #402
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
JUST SAY NO TO T.O.!!!!!!!

I'd like to sign up for your newsletter...

Last edited by Cuckoo : 03-17-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #403
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The Seahawks are expected to match Minnesota's offer sheet for Steve Hutchinson, but not match the provision that would fully guarantee the contract.
It looks like this one is headed to arbitration. It's a complicated issue, but there is likely to be a legal battle about what matching the "Principle terms" of the contract means. In the meantime, both teams won't know how to construct their 2006 team or use their salary cap space. Mar. 16 - 4:10 pm et
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #404
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
The Seahawks are expected to match Minnesota's offer sheet for Steve Hutchinson, but not match the provision that would fully guarantee the contract.
It looks like this one is headed to arbitration. It's a complicated issue, but there is likely to be a legal battle about what matching the "Principle terms" of the contract means. In the meantime, both teams won't know how to construct their 2006 team or use their salary cap space. Mar. 16 - 4:10 pm et

seems like a mickey mouse strategy. yeah we'll match some of the offer.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #405
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
seems like a mickey mouse strategy. yeah we'll match some of the offer.

Seems to me the "Mickey Mouse" strategy is to claim that you'll only guarantee the contract if you sign someone for more money than $49 million over 6 years when you have no intention of doing so. If Minny ever DOES need to buy someone for more money, they'll just renegotiate Hutch's contract to do so so they don't have to pay out the rest of the contract.

By extending the offer, Seattle has shown that they are willing to compensate Hutchinson to the degree that Minnesota is willing to pay Hutchinson. By structuring the contract the way they did, Minnesota is forcing Seattle to EXCEED Minnesota's offer (since Seattle has a player making more). All Seattle is arguing is that their contract is a fairer "match" than Minnesota's contract. And they're right.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #406
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just heard that the Redskins traded Patrick Ramsey to the Jets for a 6th round pick.

Here's a link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2372804
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-17-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #407
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The race for John Abraham.

Jets | Falcons reach agreement with Abraham; still need to work out a trade
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:01:22 -0800
ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Atlanta Falcons have reached a contract agreement with New York Jets franchise free agent DE John Abraham on a multi-year deal, a high-ranking team official and several league sources confirmed. The next step: Reaching a trade agreement with the Jets on appropriate compensation for the standout defensive player. "We're very comfortable with where we are at (with Abraham), and we think he is comfortable, too," one Falcons official said. "We've got a (contract) deal in place with him. Now we've got to deal with (the Jets)." The addition of QB Patrick Ramsey by the Jets may have been a sign that the Jets are now convinced they won't be able to pry QB Matt Schaub away from the Falcons in an Abraham deal.

Jets | Abraham headed to Seattle?
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:15:45 -0800
Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports there is speculation the New York Jets have traded DE John Abraham to the Seattle Seahawks for the 31st selection in the upcoming NFL Draft. The deal would be contingent on the Seahawks being able to sign him to a long-term deal.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #408
st.cronin
General Manager

There's been some talk that the Jets might be trying to position themselves to make a trade with Houston for the chance to draft Reggie Bush. This news certainly fits that theory.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #409
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Falcons sign Lawyer Milloy to shore up the crappy safety play Atlanta has been saddled with for a few years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2372678

ATLANTA -- In a move that addresses the Atlanta Falcons' most glaring defensive shortcoming, the team on Friday reached an agreement with unrestricted free-agent safety Lawyer Milloy, who was released by the Buffalo Bills two weeks ago for salary cap reasons.

Safety
Buffalo Bills

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
107 75 32 0 1 1
Milloy, 32, will sign a three-year contract, worth $6.01 million, with a signing bonus of $2.5 million and salaries of $810,000, $1 million, and $1.7 million, according to agent Carl Poston, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:34 PM   #410
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hutchinson Situation Headed to Arbitration

This makes more sense to me that it's the clause that will be contested rather than the Seahawks matching all the contract but the clause, then arbitration as to whether he'd then go to Minny or Seattle if that clause is upheld. Provided I'm reading this correctly, the clause will either be deemed a part of the contract the Seahawks have to match or not, then they'd decide whether or not to match the offer.

The last few paragraphs caught my eye though, as it seems like the CBA was amended to prevent this sort of situation from happening. You'd think with such a pointed example to go from that the ruling should come down on Seattle's side, but until it becomes official, I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Quote:
In 1993, the first year of unrestricted free agency in the NFL, the Indianapolis Colts signed Will Wolford, Buffalo's transition player, to an offer sheet that included a clause that guaranteed he be the team's highest-paid offensive player.

The Bills, who already had quarterback Jim Kelly as their highest-paid offensive player, argued the clause violated the CBA. An arbiter said it did not. The Bills declined to match the offer sheet, and Wolford signed with the Colts to become their highest-paid offensive player.

After that decision, the league and the union amended the CBA. It now states that no team attempting to match an offer sheet for one of its transition players can be required by an escalator clause similar to Wolford's to pay that player more than what the offering team would pay him.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #411
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions have signed free agent RB Arlen Harris. to a one year deal

Wheee!

The Lions continue to set the football world aflame with their free agent signings!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #412
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The race for John Abraham.

Jets | Falcons reach agreement with Abraham; still need to work out a trade
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:01:22 -0800
ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Atlanta Falcons have reached a contract agreement with New York Jets franchise free agent DE John Abraham on a multi-year deal, a high-ranking team official and several league sources confirmed. The next step: Reaching a trade agreement with the Jets on appropriate compensation for the standout defensive player. "We're very comfortable with where we are at (with Abraham), and we think he is comfortable, too," one Falcons official said. "We've got a (contract) deal in place with him. Now we've got to deal with (the Jets)." The addition of QB Patrick Ramsey by the Jets may have been a sign that the Jets are now convinced they won't be able to pry QB Matt Schaub away from the Falcons in an Abraham deal.

Jets | Abraham headed to Seattle?
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:15:45 -0800
Adam Schefter, of NFL.com, reports there is speculation the New York Jets have traded DE John Abraham to the Seattle Seahawks for the 31st selection in the upcoming NFL Draft. The deal would be contingent on the Seahawks being able to sign him to a long-term deal.

Depending on the contract involved, and the ensuing moves to be made (I'd have to assume that Wistrom or Fisher would be cut/dealt shortly), this would be a great move for the Seahawks. I somehow doubt that there'll be a DE available that late in the first round that could come in next year and have the sort of impact that Abraham could provide.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #413
Cuckoo
College Starter

With Milloy now gone, the Free Safety options for the Cowboys have about dried up. I honestly don't know a lot about the couple of players Dallas has signed, although I think there's some upside with them. Overall, though, this FA period has been a failure for Dallas so far if you ask me.

Lose some very good players in Johnson, Glover and Campbell, don't address (yet) areas of need like Kicker and Free Safety and repeated cancerous receiver rumors... Not much for me to be happy about as a Cowboys fan.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 03-17-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #414
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

John Clayton was on SportsCenter and he said it looks like it is not a question of if but when in regards to an announcement about TO joining the Cowboys. There's no announcement now because Jerry is in the West Indies and Stephen is in Mexico.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #415
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
With Milloy now gone, the Free Safety options for the Cowboys have about dried up. I honestly don't know a lot about the couple of players Dallas has signed, although I think there's some upside with them. Overall, though, this FA period has been a failure for Dallas so far if you ask me.

Lose some very good players in Johnson, Glover and Campbell, don't address (yet) areas of need like Kicker and Free Safety and repeated cancerous receiver rumors... Not much for me to be happy about as a Cowboys fan.

I don't see Milloy as a Free Safety, he's more of a Strong Safety and that's Roy Williams position. Maybe the Cowboys should think about moving Aaron Glenn to FS and draft a corner.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #416
Travis
Pro Rookie

So the Saints sign Michael Bennett and Anthony Simmons today. Great insurance for Deuce, and I'd assume this puts to rest any thoughts of them trading up to the #1 pick for Reggie.

Simmons is a potentially monstrous pickup IF they get a happy and focused Simmons. The guy was great for Seattle when he wanted to be and it's a shame his locker room presence and personality is the reason he's not lining up beside Tatupu and Hill.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #417
JeeberD
General Manager

*cries*

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #418
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

enjoy TO blowing up your team Jeebs. GAHH!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:19 PM   #419
st.cronin
General Manager

I heard that Parcells was planning to convert T.O. to free safety.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #420
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I just heard that the Redskins traded Patrick Ramsey to the Jets for a 6th round pick.

Here's a link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2372804

No-lose situation for the Jets, IMHO. I'm very happy about this deal. Now lets unload John Abraham ASAP.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #421
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Falcons on Friday reached an agreement with Abraham on a multi-year contract, a high-ranking team official and several league sources confirmed. The next step: Reaching a trade agreement with the Jets on appropriate compensation for the standout defender.

Seattle, conversely, has finished the second half of the equation, but not the first. Sources involved in the trade negotiations confirmed Friday evening that the Seahawks and Jets have agreed on a compensation package, but that Seattle has not reached an accord with Abraham on a contract. As part of the package, the Seahawks would surrender their first-round choice in the 2006 draft, the 31st pick overall.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #422
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Cowboys sign TE Ryan Hannum (Seahawks) and

Cowboys | Team lands Fabini
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:33:48 -0800
ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Dallas Cowboys agreed to a three-year, $6 million contract with free agent OT Jason Fabini (Jets). Clauses in the contract could grow the deal to $7.5 million over the three years. Fabini will be moved to right tackle with the Cowboys and fix one of the team's biggest problems last season.

w00t!

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #423
JeeberD
General Manager

Nice!

Old 03-17-2006, 11:47 PM   #424
Dutch
"Dutch"

Looks like a done deal. TO with the Boys! Makes for good TV.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:52 PM   #425
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

He better catch 3 TDs a game.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:26 AM   #426
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
The last few paragraphs caught my eye though, as it seems like the CBA was amended to prevent this sort of situation from happening. You'd think with such a pointed example to go from that the ruling should come down on Seattle's side, but until it becomes official, I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Well, hopefully the fact that it's not an escalator clause will he.p.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:34 AM   #427
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The Cowboys sign TE Ryan Hannum (Seahawks) and

Cowboys | Team lands Fabini
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:33:48 -0800
ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Dallas Cowboys agreed to a three-year, $6 million contract with free agent OT Jason Fabini (Jets). Clauses in the contract could grow the deal to $7.5 million over the three years. Fabini will be moved to right tackle with the Cowboys and fix one of the team's biggest problems last season.

w00t!

He's pretty good. As long as you're not expecting a stud, you should be satisfied.

I'm not sure we have any offensive lineman left on the team at this point. :o
Old 03-18-2006, 12:46 AM   #428
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
He's pretty good. As long as you're not expecting a stud, you should be satisfied.

I'm not sure we have any offensive lineman left on the team at this point. :o

Not expecting a stud, just someone that doesn't suck.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:44 AM   #429
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Doesn't the TO signing confirm Dallas' location as a jerk magnet?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:04 AM   #430
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
There's been some talk that the Jets might be trying to position themselves to make a trade with Houston for the chance to draft Reggie Bush. This news certainly fits that theory.

What, with Houston taking Vince Young?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:38 AM   #431
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
What, with Houston taking Vince Young?

Naw, I'd imagine Houston takind Fergueson if they made that trade.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #432
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Doesn't the TO signing confirm Dallas' location as a jerk magnet?

Yes, I think that it does. I thought Dallas had done a pretty good job of getting away from this image the last couple of years. Despite every troubled player being rumored to be going to the Cowboys, Keyshawn was really the only one that did. And he was pretty much a choir boy in Dallas.

I have to reiterate my disappointment with this one. I think Skip Bayless is actually right. Jones did this because he's bored and wants the attention. Two predictions: 1.) Jones will pay much more than he should have for Owens. And 2.) This will not turn out well.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #433
duckman
Pro Starter

What makes the situation worst is that the NFLPA put in provisions in the CBA that limits what actions that a team can take. They even made where they can only suspend a player for 4 games, but can't deactivate him for the rest of the season like the Eagles did to TO.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #434
JeeberD
General Manager

Why, Jerry? WHY?!?!?!?

Just shoot me now, please.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #435
vex
Grizzled Veteran

*IF* TO can get along with Parcells, this is a GREAT move for the Cowboys IMO.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #436
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
*IF* TO can get along with Parcells, this is a GREAT move for the Cowboys IMO.

That's what everyone said about TO when he went to Philly. It was true, when all was well, Philly was a great team. He was amazing. Unfortunately, this is just like the story of the scorpion and the frog. TO is going to sting the Cowboys, it's not a matter of if, but when. It's his nature to be that way and they know that.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #437
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle
Naw, I'd imagine Houston takind Fergueson if they made that trade.

Frankly I think that's who Houston really wants, they are just scared of taking him first. They can get value for that 1st pick and an OL to protect Carr.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #438
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Frankly I think that's who Houston really wants, they are just scared of taking him first. They can get value for that 1st pick and an OL to protect Carr.

That's who they should want IMO. Their OL was putrid last year and Domanick Davis is a stud RB. If they could pick up another couple of picks, I'd move down too.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #439
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Why, Jerry? WHY?!?!?!?

Just shoot me now, please.

What you said Jeeber.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #440
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Well, that sinks football season for me. Time to fall back to the Saints.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #441
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well, he's not going to cause any problems for at least a year. I bet most Dallas fans forget all about his idiocy after a couple games.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #442
Dutch
"Dutch"

The only way I see TO not being a problem is if his skills are no longer top notch. You know....like KJ.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #443
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman
What makes the situation worst is that the NFLPA put in provisions in the CBA that limits what actions that a team can take. They even made where they can only suspend a player for 4 games, but can't deactivate him for the rest of the season like the Eagles did to TO.

Do you have further details on this? How can the NFLPA intervene in who a team places on their actice/inactive rosters? That would seem completely ridiculous.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #444
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Do you have further details on this? How can the NFLPA intervene in who a team places on their actice/inactive rosters? That would seem completely ridiculous.

Here is the link to the whole article
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9298153

Here is the part in question

A club no longer can discipline a player as Philadelphia did Terrell Owens last season. Under the new agreement, the maximum discipline a team can impose on a player is suspension without pay for four weeks -- in essence, a reversal of the Owens decision of last year. The Eagles suspended the wide receiver for four games then removed him from the team and its premises for the rest of the season. Owens complained but lost when an arbitrator ruled in favor of Philadelphia. In essence, the new agreement means clubs like Philadelphia cannot deactivate players as long-term punishment. They can continue to deactivate them week-to-week, but they cannot -- as Philadelphia did -- remove them for extended periods of time as disciplinary measures
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #445
miami_fan
Coordinator

So yes they could make him inactive but they have to allow him to continue to be an active participant of the team.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #446
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Thanks, that clears it up. So they can keep making him inactive, but they can't say "don't bother coming to practice" like the Eagles did last year.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:56 PM   #447
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
I think Skip Bayless is actually right. Jones did this because he's bored and wants the attention. Two predictions: 1.) Jones will pay much more than he should have for Owens. And 2.) This will not turn out well.

Inconceivable, Skip Bayless is never right.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #448
General Mike
Pro Starter

Ernie Accorsi is fiddling.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #449
Bad-example
College Starter

Prediction: Most of the Cowboy fans that are whining now will be lining up to tongue Owens' sack 12 months from now. Same as happened with Joe Gibbs and the Red4skins fans that were calling for his head 12 months ago.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:33 PM   #450
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

So, Owens' salary this year is $5 million, and his initial signing bonus was $5 million with roster bonuses of $3 million due in 2007 and 2008...making his cap number this year $6.66 million. Gotta admit, the man's a Beast on the field.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote