Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #351
Malificent
High School JV

Alan Wake could be really good - from the creators of Max Payne, which was one of the most fun games I've ever played.
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #352
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

When did anyone post that Rock Band would be available on the Wii? I never saw that news. I thought there was going to be a hangup until N had a better storage system for DLC.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #353
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anyone able to get on Xbox Live last night? Microsoft is continuing to have some major down-time issues on their online service.

http://loot-ninja.com/2008/01/08/xbo...rappy-service/
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #354
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
Alan Wake could be really good - from the creators of Max Payne, which was one of the most fun games I've ever played.

At the current development pace on Alan Wake, the new Max Payne game currently under development for the PS3/360 may be out before Alan Wake.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #355
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Anyone able to get on Xbox Live last night? Microsoft is continuing to have some major down-time issues on their online service.

I was signed on for a bit with no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #356
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
At the current development pace on Alan Wake, the new Max Payne game currently under development for the PS3/360 may be out before Alan Wake.

Holy shit, there's a new Max Payne coming out? That may be the final push towards me getting a 360.
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #357
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

I was on just fine.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #358
astrosfan64
College Prospect

When does the december console sales number thread get started?
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #359
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
A list of upcoming games for the year on Wii. This is not an exhaustive list. I tried to include games that caught my eye for one reason or another only. I may have missed a couple of bigger games due to unfamiliarity.

Notable Wii Games on the Horizon

JANUARY
PDC World Championship Darts 2008
Wii Chess
Endless Ocean
No More Heroes
Bomberman Land
MX vs ATV Untamed

FEBRUARY
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Dragon Quest Swords: TMQatToM
Baroque
de Blob
Dream Pinball

MARCH
ATV Thunder Ridge Riders & Monster Trucks
The Wizard of Oz
Ninja Reflex

Q1 no specific month
Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace
Mario Kart Wii
Samba De Amigo
Sega Bass Fishing
Sega Superstars Tennis
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Target: Terror
We Love Golf

APRIL
MLB 2k8

MAY
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Q2
Lego Indiana Jones
Top Spin Tennis
WALL-E

Q3
Deca Sports

Q4
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

2008 no specific quarter
Dr. Mario's Virus Buster
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: The crystal Bearers
Mario Superstar Baseball
Pro Evolution Soccer Wii

TBA
Alone in the Dark
Bob Ross: The Joy of Painting
Chocobo's Dungeon Toki-Wasure no Mekyuu
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Kirby
Monster Hunter 3
Okami
Opoona
Pirateology
Project Rygar
Red Steel 2
Rock Band
Sadness
Samurai Shodown Anthology
Spore
Wii Fit
Wizardology
Sam & Max

Rock Band?? Link to news announcing this?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #360
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post

December NPD numbers should be out pretty soon.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #361
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
Holy shit, there's a new Max Payne coming out? That may be the final push towards me getting a 360.

It's stricly a rumor at this point, but there's a lot of signs that it's in the works. Probably won't be until 2009, so you have some time to wait.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #362
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Japanese sales numbers are in for week ending January 6th........

Quote:
Wii: 243K (+79%)
PS3: 70K (+32%)
PS2: 35K (+40%)
360: 13K (+63%)

Wii is still riding the recent supply surge in Japan. PS3, PS2 and 360 all post substantial percentage gain in sales over the previous week.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #363
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Rock Band?? Link to news announcing this?

I just copied the info from nintendo world report so I didn't know it was controversial at the time. However, I did a little research and it turns out the announcement was that Rock Band would be out on every "important console" or something similar. Now, of course there are the snobs that don't think the Wii is an important console (which is riduclous since it has the largest install base and will most likely be widening that gap over the near future), but they are later quoted as saying positive things about the Wii hardware. This has lead to some conclusion jumping about Rock Band eventually coming to Wii. Not confirmed, though, apparently.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #364
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
I just copied the info from nintendo world report so I didn't know it was controversial at the time. However, I did a little research and it turns out the announcement was that Rock Band would be out on every "important console" or something similar. Now, of course there are the snobs that don't think the Wii is an important console (which is riduclous since it has the largest install base and will most likely be widening that gap over the near future), but they are later quoted as saying positive things about the Wii hardware. This has lead to some conclusion jumping about Rock Band eventually coming to Wii. Not confirmed, though, apparently.

Ok, I'll wait then. I really want to play and none of my friends with a PS3 or 360 want to spend the money on it. I was going to look for it on PS2, since I have that... but I'm hoping it's out on the Wii.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #365
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The whole Xbox Live fiasco continues to grow. Moderators of the official forums are now deleting complaints from the forums. This open letter was deleted from the forums, which was honestly seemed like a pretty reasonable critique of the situation.

Quote:
I won’t pretend that this is a completely original idea and no one else has ever raised the question of why Xbox Live is a pay service. In fact, I used to be one of the people who argued against them and supported Xbox Live. But, with recent Xbox Live troubles and news, it’s becoming significantly more difficult to do this. Having taken the time to really look at the state of Xbox Live is making me have to start agreeing with the people who I used to argue against.

Let’s start with the recent Xbox Live downtime. It is, quite frankly, absolutely unacceptable for a pay service. Until a few days ago, my brother had a two week period where he could not recover his GamerTag from Xbox Live. That’s two weeks of no Xbox Live access whatsoever. He tried deleting the profile of his Xbox and recovering it again, but this didn’t work either. Now he couldn’t even access his game saves or earn any achievements. Although I had my account on my Xbox, that’s not to say everything’s been great. Like the rest of you, I’ve been experiencing a lot of trouble with Xbox Live. Inability to join games, sign in to Xbox Live, load the dashboard blades, sometimes problems bad enough to freeze my 360 entirely until I pulled out the Ethernet cable.

Yes, we’re getting a free Xbox Live Arcade game as compensation for nearly 3 weeks of Xbox Live downtime. Woohoo. No details have been given, and as a result I suspect that this free game will be a specific title or list of titles which Microsoft will choose. I feel that at the very least we deserve to be either refunded for a month of Xbox Live or given a free month on top of this. Think about it, if your cell phone service had trouble for a month, dropping calls, refusing to dial numbers, etc., you wouldn’t be satisfied with a free cell phone game. The first step would be a refund for that month and then some sort of compensation for the inconvenience on top of that.

Connection troubles aside, there’s other reasons why I feel Xbox Live shouldn’t be a pay service. As of March 1, 2008, Xbox Live Diamond will become an additional $6.95 fee. No thanks. Not only was this service close to worthless, but to charge for something that was supposed to be a benefit of paying for the Xbox Live service is absurd. It was pathetic as a freebie and to think anyone is willing to pay for this is ridiculous.

Next up, Xbox Live is full of ads. Even when you first boot up your Xbox 360, you’re greeted with ads on the Xbox Live blade. While this may not seem like a huge issue, how would you feel if your internet service provider, who you pay a fee to, placed ads on the desktop of your computer (which you also paid for)? Gold members should at the very least be given an option to disable these ads.

Xbox Live also feels the need to wrap content in restrictive DRM schemes that limit users’ access to the items they’ve purchased. Worst of all, this is done without proper warning of just how restrictive it is. Xbox Live Arcade titles and dashboard themes are unusable when not connected to Xbox Live unless you are on the same Xbox they are purchased on. So, as a reward for being a loyal customer and upgrading to the Halo 3 edition of the Xbox 360, all the content I purchased on my previous content is now unusable when I’m not signed into Live on the account I purchased them from. This means that when Xbox Live is having trouble or when I’m on vacation or anywhere else I don’t have steady high speed internet access, I can’t play the games which I have paid for.

Despite the fee for Xbox Live, networking is almost entirely peer to peer reliant. There are no dedicated servers for games, something which has been long available to PC games with no online fee. The average residential high speed internet connection often does not have an upload bandwidth capable of properly supporting large amounts of players. This results in lag and allows for exploits relying on network manipulation, for example the standby cheating which plagued Halo 2.

One would think that the fee for Xbox Live would entitle users to extra content to justify the fee. However, Microsoft allows companies to charge often high prices for nearly every single piece of downloadable content for games. This setup for the Xbox Live Marketplace encourages developers to either purposefully withhold content or release games lacking content with the intent of later releasing and charging an additional fee for the rest of the content. Xbox Live’s content setup may even discourage free content. Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney is quoted in a 1Up Podcast as saying that “We’ve been wanting to give them away for a long time, but actually Microsoft has been pushing back on us for that.” The video game magazine Game Informer supported this in a 2007 issue where they also claimed that Microsoft forces companies to charge for content they wish to distribute. I do not doubt this to be the case, as free content for online PC games has long been the standard. Call of Duty 4 currently has a new downloadable map available for PC users which is absent from the 360 version.

So, what exactly is Xbox Live offering its paying customers? A unified friends list? The same feature has been available to PC gamers through free applications such as XFire and Steam. Put simply, the features of Xbox Live simply do not justify its price when considering the free services offered by the competitors and the robust structure of online PC gaming.

Although I’m sure many are likely to disagree with me and simply respond with “if you don’t like it, don’t pay,” it’s not quite that simple. Without an online service, my games and the console itself lose much of their playability and worth. I also lose contact with my friends who still use Xbox Live. So unless I’m willing to cut off contact with my friends and make my system no longer worth playing, no longer paying for Xbox Live isn’t really an option.

I’d like to hear the thoughts of the rest of the community. I feel that now, in light of the recent Xbox Live downtime, is a good time to start changing Xbox Live for the better.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #366
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's it....I'm selling my fuck-box 360 immediately.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #367
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Hopefully forum users wait until the NPD numbers come out next Thursday instead of posting dubious numbers from vgchartz.com
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #368
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That's it....I'm selling my fuck-box 360 immediately.

Not sure why you'd do that.

The open letter that I posted mentioned how 360 owners are somewhat up a tree in that regard. Once you're in the community, a lot of your gaming is tied directly to the XBL membership. You really can't play a lot of the game features without the XBL membership. It's a nice thing for Microsoft as it ties the user into a revenue stream with no alternative. The argument in the past has been that the online service is what's being paid for with the XBL fees. With the multitude of online services on the Wii and the lack of any downtimes on the PS3 online gaming, I'm not sure how much longer that argument is going to hold up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Major Nelson doing more damage control in the coming days.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #369
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

It seems odd to hear people talk about how bad the XBL service is and how it isn't worth what it costs. For the time (years?) before when there weren't connection problems, people were commenting on how much better the XBL service was than any other service and how the integration of all the different services made the relatively small monthly price easily worthwhile.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #370
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
It seems odd to hear people talk about how bad the XBL service is and how it isn't worth what it costs. For the time (years?) before when there weren't connection problems, people were commenting on how much better the XBL service was than any other service and how the integration of all the different services made the relatively small monthly price easily worthwhile.

Agreed. Before this year, the XBL and Xbox service was generally held in high regard. This past 12 months has been tough with the technical RROD issues that forced MS to offer extended warranties. Throw in the dramatic increase in waiting time for repairs and the XBL outages over the holidays and it's obvious that they've seen better days in regards to quality and service.

In regards to fee-based online gaming, MS made the bed that it's in right now. If you're going to charge a fee and claim the best and most reliable service, you better deliver on that promise. You're going to be held to a higher standard because you're charging the consumer for that higher standard. A box of fresh clams on a dock could have figured out that there'd be an increase in demand on XBL during the holidays. They'll likely prepare better for the next holiday rush, but that doesn't help their PR problems right now.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #371
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In regards to fee-based online gaming, MS made the bed that it's in right now. If you're going to charge a fee and claim the best and most reliable service, you better deliver on that promise. You're going to be held to a higher standard because you're charging the consumer for that higher standard. A box of fresh clams on a dock could have figured out that there'd be an increase in demand on XBL during the holidays. They'll likely prepare better for the next holiday rush, but that doesn't help their PR problems right now.

But how many years have they been delivering on this promise? People clearly have a reason to complain at the moment, but the overall service record is pretty clean. This is clearly a black eye for them, but how they handle this situation will show what kind of company they are. A few hours of downtime could be recovered by a free game, but they may be past the point of where a free game can cover things.

I also find it funny to hear people say that they should have expected an increase in demand during the holidays. Does anybody really think they didn't expect and plan for increased demand? The fact that they didn't properly plan for the level of increase they got doesn't mean they didn't plan for any. I find this kind of binary thinking funny. Didn't all of the consoles get an above average holiday push this year?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #372
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
But how many years have they been delivering on this promise? People clearly have a reason to complain at the moment, but the overall service record is pretty clean. This is clearly a black eye for them, but how they handle this situation will show what kind of company they are. A few hours of downtime could be recovered by a free game, but they may be past the point of where a free game can cover things.

I also find it funny to hear people say that they should have expected an increase in demand during the holidays. Does anybody really think they didn't expect and plan for increased demand? The fact that they didn't properly plan for the level of increase they got doesn't mean they didn't plan for any. I find this kind of binary thinking funny. Didn't all of the consoles get an above average holiday push this year?

For a lot of gamers this holiday season, this may be their first XBL experience as they may not have owned a MS console before now. Past performance isn't going to mean a whole lot to those people. MS probably has a bit more leeway with long-term users, but even that goodwill can recede as the problems continue.

In regards to increased demand, there's a big difference between other consoles and MS consoles online. MS has the set up where you have to log in to play a lot of the games as part of their copy protection scheme. The PS3 doesn't have that setup. As a result, there's going to be a lot more users logged into MS consoles just because they have to do so to play some of their games. The PS3 uses servers that are run by the game companies, so even if there are a lot of PS3 playing online, it's spread over many different servers that are used to serve the demand of that specific game rather than an entire online community.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #373
Daimyo
College Starter

Every service has downtime and its ridiculous to expect zero downtime. XBL isn't a hospital or nuclear power plant! Sounds like for most users the downtime was only a few hours, but even if it was down for a whole day that is still 99.7% uptime over the year which is pretty good for a service like that.

The real problem is the few who experienced or are still experiencing extended downtime. MS really needs to step up with more than a free game for those people. I can't imagine they won't refund payment a prorated portion of the monthly payment for people who had an outage more than 24 hours. What sort of compensation is listed in the SLA for extended outages?

Last edited by Daimyo : 01-09-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #374
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
For a lot of gamers this holiday season, this may be their first XBL experience as they may not have owned a MS console before now. Past performance isn't going to mean a whole lot to those people. MS probably has a bit more leeway with long-term users, but even that goodwill can recede as the problems continue.

Of course goodwill can recede. That is why it is important to see what Microsoft does with this situation. If they deal with it well, people will remember this as a small problem that could be expected being a member of such a popular community. If they deal with it poorly, people may have second thoughts when it comes to the xbox 720 or whatever is next. Most people aren't going to return their consoles over this, so service levels will be judged by more than this period even for new customers. This is obviously a negative situation for Microsoft, but it remains to be seen how negative this is.

Quote:
In regards to increased demand, there's a big difference between other consoles and MS consoles online. MS has the set up where you have to log in to play a lot of the games as part of their copy protection scheme. The PS3 doesn't have that setup. As a result, there's going to be a lot more users logged into MS consoles just because they have to do so to play some of their games. The PS3 uses servers that are run by the game companies, so even if there are a lot of PS3 playing online, it's spread over many different servers that are used to serve the demand of that specific game rather than an entire online community.

Do you really have to log in to play some of their games? I have friends who claim to not even have their Xbox on the network and they have never mentioned being unable to play a game.

The plan of having servers run by the game companies is a mixed bag compared to the XBL system. Problems can be localized to individual games, but you are also requiring proper service levels from multiple entities.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #375
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Do you get part of your cable fee refunded to you if your cable goes out at your home? I doublt MS is going to do this.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #376
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Of course goodwill can recede. That is why it is important to see what Microsoft does with this situation. If they deal with it well, people will remember this as a small problem that could be expected being a member of such a popular community. If they deal with it poorly, people may have second thoughts when it comes to the xbox 720 or whatever is next. Most people aren't going to return their consoles over this, so service levels will be judged by more than this period even for new customers. This is obviously a negative situation for Microsoft, but it remains to be seen how negative this is.

Do you really have to log in to play some of their games? I have friends who claim to not even have their Xbox on the network and they have never mentioned being unable to play a game.

The plan of having servers run by the game companies is a mixed bag compared to the XBL system. Problems can be localized to individual games, but you are also requiring proper service levels from multiple entities.

THere are no games you have to log in and play. That is an untrue statement by mizzou
Old 01-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #377
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Do you get part of your cable fee refunded to you if your cable goes out at your home? I doublt MS is going to do this.

If it's a long enough outage, yes I would expect some kind of refund.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #378
stevew
Hall Of Famer

re log in:

If you bought halo 3 maps on your previous console, you would have to sign into live in order to get them usable on your new console. Also same would apply to any arcade games.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #379
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Every service has downtime and its ridiculous to expect zero downtime. XBL isn't a hospital or nuclear power plant! Sounds like for most users the downtime was only a few hours, but even if it was down for a whole day that is still 99.7% uptime over the year which is pretty good for a service like that.

The real problem is the few who experienced or are still experiencing extended downtime. MS really needs to step up with more than a free game for those people. I can't imagine they won't refund payment a prorated portion of the monthly payment for people who had an outage more than 24 hours. What sort of compensation is listed in the SLA for extended outages?

It was much longer than a few hours, it was 2+ weeks (and counting for some) that it was complete shit for alot of people. It was completely worthless to me from the weekend before christmas all the way til Jan 2nd.

And the log in issue is more than just being able to play online, especially if you needed to recover your gamertag like I did. Because all of your saved games are tied to your tag, basically there is no point in playing anything without being able to save anything or load anything from your profile.

They messed up, and there isn't another way around it. Of course (and this isn't directed to anyone particular) for many people in this thread, anything that isn't pro-360 isn't worth reading or is 'just a rumour'.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #380
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Live is like 4 bucks a month, while it being out is highly annoying, it's nothing like your cell phone(50-60 bucks) being out. A "free game" is adequate compensation, but they should probably consider giving the option for one free month. Or at least offer a choice of 800 point games(value of 10 bucks)
Old 01-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #381
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
The whole Xbox Live fiasco continues to grow. Moderators of the official forums are now deleting complaints from the forums. This open letter was deleted from the forums, which was honestly seemed like a pretty reasonable critique of the situation.
First, I do think that MS should look at additional compensation (ie, a free month) for people with extended outages. However, this open letter reads like someone with an agenda using his outage as a platform to go above and beyond. It's obvious the writer doesn't like Live being a pay service - and his opinion seems to have been the same on Dec 7 as it is on Jan 7. It's just now that MS had an extended outage, he has a bigger forum. Microsoft could refund this guy 3 months of his service and two weeks later he would be on the same forum complaining how Live should be free.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #382
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Mizzou B-ball fan - when's the next price cut on the PS3? I'll need to get one for The Show, but I'd rather wait and save a few bucks, if possible.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #383
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:

I do if the outage lasts more than 24 hours and I call to request it. I think that's pretty standard. Why would you pay for a service that they do not provide?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #384
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
And the log in issue is more than just being able to play online, especially if you needed to recover your gamertag like I did. Because all of your saved games are tied to your tag, basically there is no point in playing anything without being able to save anything or load anything from your profile.

I have no experience with this, so forgive me if it is a stupid question. Is your gamertag something that is stored on your machine but saved on Live for backup purposes? And without this tag, your saved games are worthless? So for whatever reason, your local tag got messed up which caused you to be unable to access saved games, or probably save any new games? If that is all true, that seems like a pretty bad design idea. The odds of losing the tag while the Live service is down should be pretty low (unless the service being down makes corruption more probably), but it is pretty crappy to let offline gaming being disrupted by not being able to play online.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #385
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I have no experience with this, so forgive me if it is a stupid question. Is your gamertag something that is stored on your machine but saved on Live for backup purposes? And without this tag, your saved games are worthless? So for whatever reason, your local tag got messed up which caused you to be unable to access saved games, or probably save any new games? If that is all true, that seems like a pretty bad design idea. The odds of losing the tag while the Live service is down should be pretty low (unless the service being down makes corruption more probably), but it is pretty crappy to let offline gaming being disrupted by not being able to play online.

Your saved games are saved to your specific profiles, so in this instance, all of my saved games were saved to my xbox live profile, and I had recently used my live profile on another console before all the issues popped up. So, to again use my saved games, and my profile on the current console I needed to recover the profile so that I could get on xbox live, and also log into the profile and use save games ect. To do this, my options are to go through the recover process - which was having problems along with the live service, or if I had a memory card I could of moved it using the memory card apparently (this was something I learned after the fact). It made the situation much more frustrating, if it were just no online play, I wouldn't of really cared.

As far as the free game being mentioned in other post, I think that's plenty sufficient, but I still found it disappointing that MS *had* to know it was going to be the busiest time ever for live, and they were completely unprepared - even a week before Xmas.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #386
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They messed up, and there isn't another way around it. Of course (and this isn't directed to anyone particular) for many people in this thread, anything that isn't pro-360 isn't worth reading or is 'just a rumour'.
Um, I think you're mistaking the reaction that many people here have for Mizzou B-Ball Fan's obvious Sony spin as being "pro-360".
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #387
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Um, I think you're mistaking the reaction that many people here have for Mizzou B-Ball Fan's obvious Sony spin as being "pro-360".

Um,Nope, I'm not. If that were the case, this thread would be Wii vs 360 vs PS3.

If Sony had these problems with their online service, it would be marked down as 'another Sony screwup' and there'd be another 5 pages about it.

The majority of the stuff Mizzou B-Ball post isn't even from himself, with most of it being from other sources - and everytime he post something about the PS3 someone has to pull their tallywacker out and say WELL LOOK AT MINE! the 360 can do this, and is gonna have this, and do that, why didn't you say anything about that?!? And OBVIOUSLY it's a timed exclusive, because I know so, you're obviously spinning it! If you're so concerned with making sure the 360 gets the same 'coverage' to this minute audience, post it your effin self.

It's really sad. Especially since these threads have useful information in them, it's convenient to be able to read alot of this stuff centralized, and even the opinions can be interesting for perspective - but they degenerate into 1 vs 100 every month.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #388
Galaxy
Coordinator

Any idea on why I can't connect to Live. The test says my IP Address failed. Now it was working fine two days ago.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #389
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Any idea on why I can't connect to Live. The test says my IP Address failed. Now it was working fine two days ago.

If you're using a router, try restarting it (unplugging). That has helped before.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #390
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
And OBVIOUSLY it's a timed exclusive, because I know so, you're obviously spinning it![/i]

Actually nobody has said they KNOW it's a timed exclusive, just that past experience says that it's a serious possibility.

He's the only one acting like he knows anything 100% on that.

-- Steve --
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #391
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Um,Nope, I'm not. If that were the case, this thread would be Wii vs 360 vs PS3.

If Sony had these problems with their online service, it would be marked down as 'another Sony screwup' and there'd be another 5 pages about it.

The majority of the stuff Mizzou B-Ball post isn't even from himself, with most of it being from other sources - and everytime he post something about the PS3 someone has to pull their tallywacker out and say WELL LOOK AT MINE! the 360 can do this, and is gonna have this, and do that, why didn't you say anything about that?!? And OBVIOUSLY it's a timed exclusive, because I know so, you're obviously spinning it! If you're so concerned with making sure the 360 gets the same 'coverage' to this minute audience, post it your effin self.

It's really sad. Especially since these threads have useful information in them, it's convenient to be able to read alot of this stuff centralized, and even the opinions can be interesting for perspective - but they degenerate into 1 vs 100 every month.

I'm amazed that anyone could possibly read these threads and conclude that the fanboyishness comes from the 360 side. People that don't own any of the consoles have posted on how turned off he can make people to the PS3 with his pro-Sony movment.

You're right, most of the stuff he posts isn't from himself, but his analysis of what he posts has an obvious pro-PS3 and anti-MS spin to it. There is absolutely no way of denying that. What happens then is people do come to call him on the spin and it always ends up being another Sony vs Microsoft debate. Its inevitable on this forum whenever anyone is an obvious fanboy of something.

And 1 vs 100 is obviously because there's 100 Microsoft fanboys floating around on this forum ready to defend the name of Bill Gates at the drop of a hat...
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #392
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
And 1 vs 100 is obviously because there's 100 Microsoft fanboys floating around on this forum ready to defend the name of Bill Gates at the drop of a hat...
I'm pretty sure if you check the history of Deattribution's posts in these threads, you'll find that he also comes across as a Sony fanboy, so I think his perspective is skewed.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #393
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

OK, whatever chief. There's 100 MS fanboys here and 1 Sony fanboy. Right.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #394
Daimyo
College Starter

I'm hope I'm not being counted as an MS-fanboy just because I've been critical of Mizzou B-Ball's posts. I do not own a 360 and have no plans to pick one up in the near or midterm.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #395
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Apparently Soul Calibur 4 is going to have Yoda and Darth Vader as playable characters?

Soul Calibur 4 CES Trailer
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #396
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

File under WHAT THE FUCK.

Apparently Darth Vader is PS3-exclusive, and Yoda is X360-Exclusive.

What. The. Fuck.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #397
TroyF
Coordinator

I was lucky and didn't happen to use my 360 when there was any downtime. If I had? I'd have been pissed off and turned on the PS3 or Wii. Then I would have went back to the 360 the next day. (I'm playing through Orange Box on the 360 and NBA2K is getting a ton of time as well, so it's still the system I spend the most time on)

If this had been Sony, there would have been zero anger from me. It's a free service they provide. If it happened to have downtime, it wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

All things being equal, I still think that XBox Live is superior to the Sony or Wii console menus. I like the way it's layed out, the amount of content I can get and the options I have. to me, it's worth the money each year. Were Sony or the Wii to come up with a pay requirement for the same service, I'd skip it. Live is better. Not being a 360 fanboy, just stating my beliefs at the current moment. It's also the fact that I'm not much of a multiplayer person. (Obviously, LittleBigPlanet could change all of that when it is released)

MS will get their servers fixed and this will be forgotten about in a couple of weeks.

As for the 360 vs. Sony vs. Wii fanboy debate, I find that fascinating. I know people will put me in the 360 fanboy category. This is because I think it has the superior games, the best controller and the best online service of the bunch. It's also because I predicted the PS3 would be a monumental failure in its first year.

Overlooked will be the fact that I own all three consoles, that I have multiple games for each and that it doesn't matter one little bit "which" console wins. I'm in a position where I'll get the best games for any system. (yes, I am a geek) Does anyone really think I'd pass up a series of terrific PS3 games and focus in on a handfull of average 360 titles because of my hatred for Sony? Please. . .

This isn't 100 vs. 1. Mizzou isn't valiantly defending himself against the psycho 360 owners. He simply has a MAJOR Sony slant and gets pissed when he gets called on it. You bash the entire "timed" release arguement for example. Go back a couple of months and look at how many things Mizzou was posting about Bioshock coming out for the PS3. OMG, there is a line of code that says PS3 in it, it's coming out, you just watch!!!!!!! I didn't even reply to that, because I really didn't care.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #398
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sucks Yoda Does.

I want Darth m'fn Vader Dammit!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #399
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm pretty sure if you check the history of Deattribution's posts in these threads, you'll find that he also comes across as a Sony fanboy, so I think his perspective is skewed.

Riveting response, I feel like I'm on the IGN 360 boards.

Search away, maybe you can find a few post for me that I lost while you're collecting a check from Microsoft. Infact, feel free to find that Sony bias, since I know for a fact all of my post concerning this matter have been about the fact these conversations are so skewed as if Sony has absolutely no chance and have screwed up everything. Not to mention, you have many more post in these threads than I do, chief.

I own 2 360's (three if you count the bricked POS waiting for possible repairs that aren't covered because it's 1 ring instead of 3) and a Wii, and I'll buy a PS3 when it becomes a smart purchase - but I also can realize that it's been only a year, and I felt the same way about the 360 til about it's second year. I like my 360's but I know it's not the greatest creation ever, and nothing can ever compare. It all just comes down to who creates the most appealing games that I want to play.

As far as the 100 vs 1 comment, surely nobody took that as literal to mean 100 people. At the same time, whether Mizzou-B is right or not, everyone piles on, and he's the only one posting anything positive in here towards Sony, and I know it isn't because Sony hasn't done anything at all right. That's not to say everything he post is right, or even accurate - but c'mon.

As far as the Bioshock thing, there was nothing indicating it was going to be a timed exclusive, just like there is nothing indicating MGS is. It's hypocritical to say it's okay now, but complain about it when it was Bioshock.

Last edited by Deattribution : 01-09-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 AM   #400
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Search away, maybe you can find a few post for me that I lost while you're collecting a check from Microsoft.
My paycheck comes from Midway.

You're dreaming if you think this site and these threads are home to a wealth of 360 fanboys. The posts "piling on" Mizzou B-Ball Fan are there to call him on his obvious spins in favor of Sony. When you move beyond those posts, you'll find people criticizing MS as well. If you feel that Sony hasn't made a lot more mistakes in this generation of the console wars than MS has and thus doesn't deserve to see a lot more criticism in these threads, more power to you. I disagree.

I'll ask you this - is gstelmack (who works for a multi-platform publisher) a 360 fanboy? Eaglesfan27? TroyF?