Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #351
Butter
Coordinator

I was really impressed by Clemson's inside game last night. But the thought occurred to me after the game... endings like that are why UNC is UNC and Clemson is Clemson. Until Clemson can get a couple of close endings like that to go their way, they will not be taken seriously as a basketball contender.

Horrible play by Potter, but the kid is young, and if Clemson can put that effort into their other ACC games, he'll have a chance to make it up later on.

Why oh why can't Oliver Purnell teach his teams to shoot free throws?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #352
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Next Wednesday night, 2 ranked A-10 teams meet (a rarity these days) as Rhode Island visits Dayton in an untelevised game thanks to the A-10's horrific TV contract with CSTV.

In a surprise turnaround, this game is going out nationally on CSTV tonight at 7PM.

#17 Dayton vs. #22 Rhode Island. Tune in for some high quality basketball, and to see one of the best guards in the country, Dayton's Brian Roberts.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #353
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Great game at the half in Columbia. Texas is up 2 on Mizzou. It has been a 3 fest so far. The team that cools off from behind the arc is going to be the one that loses this one.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #354
MrBug708
Head Coach

Game of the week going on in Pauley right now (I'm stuck at work 300 yards from Pauley) and UCLA is taking it to #4 WSU right now. I'm still rather confused on how Texas beat UCLA but it happened. The UCLA-WSU game is very boring to the average fan, but it's a hell of a game if you like defensive slugfest. UCLA is top 10 in defense and WSU sits at #1 currently
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #355
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Mizzou came out hot after halftime, and never let up. They just haven't missed at all in the second half.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #356
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Mizzou came out hot after halftime, and never let up. They just haven't missed at all in the second half.

That performance is what was expected of Mizzou at the start of the season. Mizzou has very good talent that just hasn't performed anywhere near expectations thus far. With that said, Augustin and Abrams should have never played 40 minutes against Mizzou. Terrible coaching by Barnes to play those guys the whole game. They were severely gassed in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Mizzou has a road game at Iowa State on Wednesday. If they can take care of business there, KU comes calling next Saturday in what would be a big early season matchup between the rivals in Columbia. I've seen more than one KU player commenting on the Texas loss at MU. KU won't be taking anything for granted.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #357
BishopMVP
Coordinator

For those who don't feel like watching ESPN fellating Duke yet again, or don't have access to a TV, there's more exciting A-10 action available tonight. UMass travels to #14 Dayton in a matchup between two good, exciting, inconsistent teams, and there's free video through http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/...011508aab.html It's never too early to start looking at some non-BCS teams that'll be in the NCAA's.

UMass led by Chris Lowe, as quick a PG as any in the country, Ricky Harris a scoring machine and Gary Forbes who should be drafted 2nd round this summer. Plus we've got Matt Bonner's bigger, less talented brother, a white guy from Vermont and a 6'9 170 pound man from Africa (maybe Senegal?)

Dayton is led by Brian Roberts, who you might remember from scoring 30+ in their blowout of Pitt, but is missing top freshman Chris Wright, which could hurt because our interior defense is easily exploited (but hey, so is our exterior defense!)

Seriously, there will probably be 180+ scored tonight, and whichever team is shooting well will win.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #358
Butter
Coordinator

I'll publicly wish B-MVP good luck to his team tonight. I'm just hoping for a great game. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Dayton lost. UMass has had some close calls against some very good teams.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #359
BishopMVP
Coordinator

36-31 UMass at halftime after 2 3's in the last minute, including a 30-footer for Forbes at the buzzer. We were up like 21-7 early until Dayton started playing better defense and out rebounding went to shite again. Boards are 29-17 Dayton, and they're 1-11 from 3, doubt that'll last.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #360
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Boards are 29-17 Dayton, and they're 1-11 from 3, doubt that'll last.

How about 4-25?

I didn't really mean the good luck thing, you guys were supposed to roll over!!!

Good win for UMass. Dayton will have a rough time not making it 2 losses in a row, visiting Xavier next on January 24th (next Thursday). But X loses by 19 to Temple, so who the heck knows.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #361
BishopMVP
Coordinator

3-14 is slightly better, but like we said pregame, whichever team shoots 3's well will probably win.

You guys should at least stay Top 10 in RPI, and this will be huge for us at bubble time.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #362
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Halftime in Atlanta, UNC leads GT 48-46.

edit: 63-60 GT with 12 minutes left.
edit again: Big sequence there (maybe, if UNC doesn't wake up & GT doesn't turn into GT) as the Heels got three cracks at the basket down by four and had the ball underneath but couldn't get it inbounds & turned it over on a five second call. Tech by 6 with 10:25 left ... oops, Ellington finally hit a three, now 66-63 with 10:13 left.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-16-2008 at 09:43 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #363
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tied 76-76 in Atlanta with 6 minutes to play.
edit: Carolina by 2 with 5 1/2 left, and now the ball too. And Tech's leading scoring tonight just fouled out

I gotta tell you, the talent gap that GT is suffering from is just stunning to really see after years of being competitive. In the long run losing this game would probably be the best thing for Tech since Hewitt is badly outmatched in pretty much every aspect of the game & needs to be the next guy to become a former GT employee.

edit: 81-80 Carolina with 2:25 to play ... and a steal but Tech misses a 3 and a pair of put back attempts.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-16-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #364
Radii
Head Coach

UNC just flat out does not play defense. Tech is shooting well and hustling but its just inexcusable for this game to be coming down to the end like this.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Tech is shooting well and hustling

I really like Peacock's effort in particular. But the fact that a (former?) walk-on like Causey is playing so many minutes tonight speaks volumes about the overall situation.

Meanwhile, this is the softest interior defense I've seen from a top team not playing a run & shoot style.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-16-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #366
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FuckFuckFuck. Two cracks at it down by one but it won't go.

And the officiating damned sure knew which team was wearing which color jersey for a big part of the night and at crucial times.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-16-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #367
Radii
Head Coach

I thought that was a foul at first but on the replay it really looked to me like he was just going up wildly to try to draw a foul and actually didn't draw contact at all.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Teams that just come out and go at Carolina, instead of thinking too much about their history or their current ranking, are going to be able to stay right with them. In their current mode, especially defensively, I can't see UNC getting past the Sweet 16.

edit: Meanwhile, that game (plus seeing the 93 conference title game on ESPNClassic earlier this evening) sure brought back some memories didn't it?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-16-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #369
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In their current mode, especially defensively, I can't see UNC getting past the Sweet 16.

I think this is very likely accurate. They better learn to play some D fast. I think the Frasor injury is a bigger deal than most people realize as well.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #370
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

UNC survives another. When will their luck run out?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #371
mckerney
Coordinator

Indiana coming to town, should be fun. Hopefully Al Nolen will be able to D up Gordon and Hoffarber can keep hitting 3's at a 60% clip.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #372
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
UNC survives another. When will their luck run out?

If they don't get their shit together they won't beat Miami on the road Jan 23. If they do get their shit together even a little I can see them losing one random ACC game in addition to splitting w/ Duke and that's it... we'll see. Clearly I'm not very happy right now though, or very confidant. but I felt like this in 2005 too. that was different, that was in December, not January, and that team had more talent. But there's some similarities too.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #373
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
UNC just flat out does not play defense.

Are you trying to make me feel even worse about Saturday's game than I already do?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #374
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Are you trying to make me feel even worse about Saturday's game than I already do?

Not on purpose! NC State is just in shambles But, so is Ga Tech. Bleh. It was in Chapel Hill after a scary game vs Clemson. I bet UNC blows out Maryland Saturday too.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #375
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Shambles I don't think is quite strong enough. I think we're looking at Titanic-hitting-iceberg level destruction at this point. Maybe Hindenberg-explosion level. Or both. Shambles somehow implies you can rebuild what you've got. I don't see that this year for this team. I do think we are going to find out in an awful hurry whether Lowe's got the chops to coach major college basketball if he can turn this mess around. The internet hordes are already getting out the longknives.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:42 AM   #376
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
3-14 is slightly better, but like we said pregame, whichever team shoots 3's well will probably win.

You guys should at least stay Top 10 in RPI, and this will be huge for us at bubble time.

It just bothers me that UMass has gotten us at UD Arena 2 years in a row. Only X owns us quite that much. And we get no return trip this year for revenge. Not that I really think we'd do any better in Amherst. Ford had a good gameplan for defending Roberts. We had a good counter to that gameplan, but just couldn't hit the shots given to us. We also completely ignored the inside game, which hurt. We got a couple of inside guys in foul trouble, and then went about hoisting as many 3's as possible.

Checking realtimerpi.com, we fell to 11th. You were close.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #377
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nutty stuff in the Big 12. Mizzou falls at Iowa State after their big win against Texas. Texas A&M gets pounded on the road at Texas Tech. Damn road games.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #378
mckerney
Coordinator

Disappointing finish in The Barn. After having a slight lead late, Gophers drop game 65-60 to Indiana. Did a good job of forcing turnovers on defense, but missed too many free throws to get the W.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #379
Johnny93g
College Starter

Hoosiers played awful, but did just enough to edge Minny. Very impressed with the Gophers defense, forcing so many turnovers. Very unimpressed with the Gophers offense. Other then Hoffarber(sp?) noone scared me at all.

it's a road win in the Big Ten, and that's all that matters. Indiana is now 15-1. Go Hoosiers!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #380
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Hoosiers played awful, but did just enough to edge Minny. Very impressed with the Gophers defense, forcing so many turnovers. Very unimpressed with the Gophers offense. Other then Hoffarber(sp?) noone scared me at all.

it's a road win in the Big Ten, and that's all that matters. Indiana is now 15-1. Go Hoosiers!!!

The Gophers don't have any big scoring threats outside of Hoffarber when he's hot, though McKenzie can sometimes put up points if he gets going. Thankfully we've got a couple guys coming in next year. One of their Juco signees is supposed to be a scorer and Ralph Sampson III could hopefully provide a good inside threat.

Last edited by mckerney : 01-17-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #381
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I really like Peacock's effort in particular. But the fact that a (former?) walk-on like Causey is playing so many minutes tonight speaks volumes about the overall situation.

The "overall situation" is simply the point guard situation. Since the 2004 National Title Game team, Hewitt has had two point guards leave early and one not show up on campus after being drafted by the Yankees. The two who left were first round draft picks and Austin Jackson was a top 50-100 recruit. If Crittenton stays (as almost everyone thought he would) this is a top 25 team--they were a 20 win team last year.

Mo Miller has improved over the first half of the season. I'm optimistic that he will continue to improve. It is probably too late to save this year--the toughest schedule Tech has played in a decade didn't help that, but with Lawal and Miller, plus Iman Shumpert coming in next year, I think it is too early to write off Hewitt.

Now, I'm not saying everything is rosey. The senior class has been a huge disappointment. Anthony Morrow hasn't played a lick of defense in four years, and I think that permeates throughout the team. Hewitt hasn't had a good second assistant since Cliff Warren left, and that has hurt too.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #382
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

The "overall situation" is simply the point guard situation. Since the 2004 National Title Game team, Hewitt has had two point guards leave early and one not show up on campus after being drafted by the Yankees. The two who left were first round draft picks and Austin Jackson was a top 50-100 recruit. If Crittenton stays (as almost everyone thought he would) this is a top 25 team--they were a 20 win team last year.

Mo Miller has improved over the first half of the season. I'm optimistic that he will continue to improve. It is probably too late to save this year--the toughest schedule Tech has played in a decade didn't help that, but with Lawal and Miller, plus Iman Shumpert coming in next year, I think it is too early to write off Hewitt.

Now, I'm not saying everything is rosey. The senior class has been a huge disappointment. Anthony Morrow hasn't played a lick of defense in four years, and I think that permeates throughout the team. Hewitt hasn't had a good second assistant since Cliff Warren left, and that has hurt too.

All in all though, I'm willing to give Hewitt next year with an experienced point guard before calling for his head.

Last edited by digamma : 01-17-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #383
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Big rivalry game in the Big 12 this weekend with undefeated KU heading to Columbia to face Mizzou. Any other good games on this weekend?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #384
Butter
Coordinator

I only know of 2 involving my favored teams... Ohio State-Tennessee on CBS Saturday at 3:30, I believe. Then, Clemson-Duke Saturday at 6 PM on ESPN.

Both may well be blowouts against my teams, but Clemson got screwed at Duke last year, so might have some extra motivation in that one.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #385
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
the toughest schedule Tech has played in a decade didn't help that,

{scratches head}

I really don't feel like (through 16 games) that this year's schedule is particularly any tougher than the same span in '02-03, 04-05, or even 06-07.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #386
Radii
Head Coach

UNC-Maryland tomorrow which hopefully won't be interesting or worth watching at all.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #387
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
{scratches head}

I really don't feel like (through 16 games) that this year's schedule is particularly any tougher than the same span in '02-03, 04-05, or even 06-07.

In my mind, there are two differences between this year's schedule and those schedules: fewer RPI buster type games and more road and neutral games. This season even the bad teams Tech has played have, for the most part, been of pretty good quality. Second, Tech has gone on the road to Tennessee Tech, Georgia State, Georgia and Vanderbilt, in addition to playing three pretty good teams in a neutral site tournament. The schedule is tougher top to bottom, in addition to playing the marquee games against Indiana and Kansas.

(By comparison, last year Tech opened against Morehouse, Elon, Jackson State and Georgia State all at home.)
Old 01-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #388
rjolley
College Starter

Good game on ESPN #21 Villanova 40 - 42 Syracuse 16:00 2nd.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #389
Radii
Head Coach

UNC fans boo the team off the court and into the locker room after a lazy, no defense, lackluster half against Maryland. Maryland is outhustling, outrunning, and outplaying the Heels so far. 41-35 Maryland at the half.

I really don't care what happens in the 2nd half, or that UNC is still undefeated(for now), if I had a top 25 vote I am not sure I'd put this team in the top 10 based on their performance and effort so far. Maybe 9th in between Washington State and Indiana.

Last edited by Radii : 01-19-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #390
MJ4H
Coordinator

booing the undefeated, #1 team in the country.

hahahaha i dont want to hear another word about arkansas fans. EVER.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #391
Radii
Head Coach

yeah i'm sure it comes across badly, but honestly, this team has so much talent, they just aren't hustling. I don't expect an undefeated season, I know that's virtually impossible. But two games in a row where the level of effort and intensity on defense is near zero is simply not ok.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #392
Radii
Head Coach

USC/UCLA are tied w/ 5 minutes left to go as well
Old 01-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #393
Radii
Head Coach

UNC/Maryland tied at 80 with 43 seconds to go. Maryland ball w/ a 15 second differential between shot/game clock.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #394
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

As much as I want UNC to lose, i just cant root for Maryland.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #395
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t

*does happy dance*

*realizes she's too klutzy to do that without risking injury to life and limb*

*internal happy dance*

You know, this season's been rough, we're pretty young and just have had some bad luck and bad games. I'll take what I can get.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #396
Radii
Head Coach

Uh, two pretty terrible calls to give UNC two more times with the ball at the end to tie. Doesn't matter, Maryland wins.

Good game, terps. You guys played great and earned it. Hopefully this is a wake up call for UNC. Apparently barely beating a sub-.500 team on the road isn't enough to convince you to play some fucking defense, maybe losing at home will do it? If not, this team won't even make the Sweet 16. I really, really don't think this is a top 10 team right now. Not even close. Hopefully this loss triggers a good performance at Miami but I dunno, I kinda expect another loss at this point.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #397
bhlloy
Coordinator

UCLA goes down to USC again! Great afternoon for Memphis and Kansas.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #398
Radii
Head Coach

USC beats UCLA 72-63, and #9 Texas A&M is down by 9 to Kansas State in the 2nd half as well.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #399
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
UCLA goes down to USC again! Great afternoon for Memphis and Kansas.

Great game by USC, and if any player cares about Player of the Game awards, Davon Jefferson should be pissed at Chevrolet. There are a lot of reasons for UCLA's loss today, but he was by far the biggest reason. Aboya couldn't handle him, and two other options, Mata and Luc Richard missed the the second half of the game with injury (and obviously, Love had to guard Gibson and probably couldn't stay with Jefferson either).

Oh, not that I would deign to give Coach Howland advice in his own trade, but having Aboya play Jefferson straight and up close was just stupid. Make Jefferson prove he can hit the outside shot. Don't just let him ole his way to the basket.

Oh, and as long as I have you here, coach, when you get four fouls on the other team's team leader and point guard and you have two super quick guards like Collison and Westbrook, you better damn well tell them to gun right at him.

IMO, Jefferson is the best player on this team, not Mayo.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #400
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT finally wins a conference game, although they tried to blow a 16 point lead before holding off VaTech. And the recently discussed former walk-on Causey blows up for 30 points on 7 treys.