Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #351
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As far as the Wings game yesterday, when McClennan went, and this is coming from a former goalie, you IMMEDIALTEY run Kipper. Break his collarbone. Eye for an eye.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #352
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to be really curious to see how tonight's game goes...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #353
bhlloy
Coordinator

OK, so Jamie McLennan isn't an big bad "enforcer" so he only gets 5 games, despite the fact that what he did was WAY more pre-meditated than what Simon did. He's lucky he hit body and not neck otherwise Frantzen could be dead.

And we will hold teams accountable for their actions at the end of games, unless the player in question is Jarome Iginla, who we need for TV ratings and shirt sales, in which case he gets 2 minor penalties and we all sing kum-ba-yah.

Thanks Campbell and Bettman for reminding me why I hate the NHL management with such a fucking passion.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:37 PM   #354
Schmidty
Coordinator

I wonder if at the end of this seriess, the Wings shake hands with the Flames players. If they didn't, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Last edited by Schmidty : 04-22-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #355
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
As far as the Wings game yesterday, when McClennan went, and this is coming from a former goalie, you IMMEDIALTEY run Kipper. Break his collarbone. Eye for an eye.

LMAO
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #356
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I wonder if at the end of this seriess, the Wings shake hands with the Flames players. If they didn't, I wouldn't bat an eye.

They will.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #357
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
If they didn't, I wouldn't bat an eye.

This isn't basketball. They'll shake hands after the Series over.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #358
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yes!!!!

THE MULE ENDS IT!!!!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #359
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

And the series is over
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:43 PM   #360
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Geez, I thought the Thrashers got outshot badly on a regular basis but this was something else.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:46 PM   #361
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Franzenstein with a beauty of a shot. With the way Nabakov is playing and how tough they play us anyway, not to mention going out West, it's safe to assume I'll be rooting Dallas on.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:47 PM   #362
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. A beauty of a shot by Franzen. Just perfect.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 PM   #363
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
With the way Nabakov is playing and how tough they play us anyway, not to mention going out West, it's safe to assume I'll be rooting Dallas on.

Yes. I think the Wings match-up better with the Stars, but Turco's been stellar.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:54 PM   #364
Karim
College Starter

Total ownage by Detroit once again. They play their system to perfection, everyone is strong on the puck, composed, support the man with the puck giving him multiple options, committed to defensive coverage, etc., etc.

This wasn't surprising given the Flames schizophrenic season. Kiprusoff is the only reason it went six.

Here's hoping it isn't another Detroit-New Jersey final... *yawn*
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:32 AM   #365
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
Total ownage by Detroit once again. They play their system to perfection, everyone is strong on the puck, composed, support the man with the puck giving him multiple options, committed to defensive coverage, etc., etc.

This wasn't surprising given the Flames schizophrenic season. Kiprusoff is the only reason it went six.

Here's hoping it isn't another Detroit-New Jersey final... *yawn*

Yes, because once every 12 years is so tedious......
Old 04-23-2007, 12:59 AM   #366
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Yes, because once every 12 years is so tedious......

Yeah. I'd rather a new team win the Cup.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:09 AM   #367
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

Yeah, in pro basketball, they'd basically be making out on the court after the game. The lack of intensity makes me nauseous, and I am the biggest basketball fan ever.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #368
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

paging Mr Lemaire and Mr Boogaard.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:46 AM   #369
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Neutral observer: people here are way over-reacting to what went on at the end of the Flames/Wings game five.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 04-23-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #370
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Neutral observer: people here are way over-reacting to what went on at the end of the Flames/Wings game five.

I don't think so. Not when a stick is involved as a weapon.

RE: Handshakes

After the Conf. finals in 96.

Dino Ciccerelli commenting on Lemieux's hit on Draper

'I can't believe I shook the guys fricken hand'

McLennan wasn't in the CGY lineup last night. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 04-23-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #371
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
I don't think so. Not when a stick is involved as a weapon.
Yeah, it was bad, and you could argue for a longer suspension. But it's Jamie McLennan, does it really matter if it's five games or eight or ten? So somebody else sits on the bench for those games. Besides, Emery only got three games for playing hack-a-Hab. Now that wasn't as premeditated, but on the other hand Emery hit his guy in the face.

And calling for Iginla to be suspended for what was basically a cross-check (followed by an obvious dive) is just weak. And it's even weaker to suggest he gets special treatment because of "tv ratings" -- as if the league cares at all about a Canadian team and its tv ratings, especially when they're standing in the way of Detroit moving on.

Folks, just because Pierre McGuire wets himself ("oh my goodness! oh my goodness!") and then goes into his scripted outrage mode doesn't mean we all have to play along.

Still, it was nice to see the league fine Playfair and the team. Sends a message about generally controlling your players at the end of games, even if nobody other than McLennan did anything suspension-worthy.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #372
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Still, it was nice to see the league fine Playfair and the team. Sends a message about generally controlling your players at the end of games, even if nobody other than McLennan did anything suspension-worthy.

that was the most pleasing to me. honest. i agree with you.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #373
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

And calling for Iginla to be suspended for what was basically a cross-check (followed by an obvious dive) is just weak. And it's even weaker to suggest he gets special treatment because of "tv ratings" -- as if the league cares at all about a Canadian team and its tv ratings, especially when they're standing in the way of Detroit moving on.

That's fine. I completely agree that he shouldn't - but if you are telling me that Chris Simon, Brad May or anyone who a) has disciplinary issues or b) likes a fight every now and then wouldn't have got a game misconduct and a game suspension for "actions at the end of a game blah blah" then I don't think you have been watching the NHL that closely. I clearly remember Jagr being the next person after McSorley to hit someone in the back of a head with his stick and getting a pussy ass suspension.

Re. McLennan - tell me how that is any different from what Chris Simon did. It's 10 times worse - Simon swatted out after being boarded by a dirty player (and was clearly concussed at the time). Franzen didn't even touch McLennand and he tomahawked him in the chest with a goalie stick 18 seconds after getting in the game - and it was pretty close to getting neck. The only difference I see is that Simon is big, fought a lot once in his career and did it in New York.

Suspensions are based on who you are and how much media coverage the action gets. I don't think that is really up for debate in Bettman's NHL.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:42 AM   #374
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Suspensions are based on who you are and how much media coverage the action gets. I don't think that is really up for debate in Bettman's NHL.
Definitely true in general (if you remember my post in in the regular season thread about the NHL's suspension formula, you'll know we're on the same page).

But in McLennan's case, you would think all that was working against him. He's a nobody -- easy to make an example of. He plays for a team that the NHL really doesn't care about. He did what he did against a big market US team, on a nationally televised game, while the announcers hyperventilated. And he still didn't get that much.

I think what saved him is that there really is a big difference between a slash to the body and to the head/neck. We know this already -- we see players slash each other on the arm or body all the time with far more force than McSorely used and nobody thinks much of it. A body shot is just far less likely to cause a serious injury (and let's face it, it doesn't look as dramatic for the Sportscenter guys either).

Given the premeditation, if McLennan hits him in the face he might get anywhere from 200+ games to a full year. But he didn't.

And as far as Iginla, while I agree that reputation plays a big part in suspensions, there is no player in the NHL who would get a suspension for doing what Iginla did. Even Tie Domi in the day wouldn't have been suspended for that.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #375
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Folks, just because Pierre McGuire wets himself ("oh my goodness! oh my goodness!") and then goes into his scripted outrage mode doesn't mean we all have to play along.

I agree. I didn't think anything Iginla did was suspension worthy. Though, I think folks were more upset at what many thought was an attempted butt-end by Iginla than the cross-check that followed. That type of cross-check happens a dozen times in every game, butt-ending, however, is more akin to spearing and something that's a definite "no-no". It's hard to say whether or not there was a butt-end and even if there was an attempted butt-end, it certainly didn't work. Schneider didn't even seem to notice, hence the cross-check.

The Langkow play was a bit dirter, given that he grabbed Lebda's head and then punched him right in the face while Lebda was still down. Lebda's check was a little low though. I think he intended to do more of a classic hip check, but ended up hitting Langkow a little low.

McLennan was the only one who clearly deserved to be suspended. It would have been hard for the NHL to come down with a decision within a day on Playfair. I imagine in the playoffs you'd need some pretty hard evidence that the coach really played a role in the incident to suspend him.

While I didn't love what went at the end of Games 1 and 5 and I think it was pretty classless on Calgary's part, in the grand scheme of things it wasn't all that bad.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #376
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't actually know why Iginla was suspended, I watched the game but don't remember him doing anything egregious. McLennan, though, should have been kicked out of the league. What he did was completely disgusting.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #377
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I don't actually know why Iginla was suspended, I watched the game but don't remember him doing anything egregious. McLennan, though, should have been kicked out of the league. What he did was completely disgusting.

he wasn't suspended. I thought (because I was fooled by Pierre's comment) that he hit Schneider with the butt end of the stick before he cross checked him (when he fell).
Old 04-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #378
Hurst2112
College Starter

speaking of Iginla:

Is it me or is he not that capable of a captain? He's a great player but his leadership is lost on me. Maybe it's because I don't follow the Flames that much.

He's got fire but I've always questioned his leadership. Well, I've questioned his role as captain. Similar to why i scratch my head as to why Yashin is still allowed to wear a C.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #379
Hurst2112
College Starter

Note to Danny Markov.

Don't blow your assignments. Seriously. He's been making bone headed decisions since the playoffs started. You look like Konstantinov but need to play D a little more like he used to.

HB:

Has he been paired with Lidstrom the whole playoffs? Whole season?

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 04-23-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #380
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
HB:

Has he been paired with Lidstrom the whole playoffs? Whole season?

Yeah, pretty much. The pairings for most of the season were: Lidstrom-Markov / Schneider - Kronwall / Chelios - Lebda.

Markov is a bit of a wild card out there at times. He makes me nervous, but he's a decent defensive partner for Lidstrom since he provides a little bit of an edge out there.

Speaking of which, I really have to hand it to Lilja. The guy's been solid. The only times I noticed him in the series was when he was making a good play. He's really stepped up his game. Maybe getting benched so often served as a wake-up call or something, but I hope it continues.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #381
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yeah, pretty much. The pairings for most of the season were: Lidstrom-Markov / Schneider - Kronwall / Chelios - Lebda.

Markov is a bit of a wild card out there at times. He makes me nervous, but he's a decent defensive partner for Lidstrom since he provides a little bit of an edge out there.

Speaking of which, I really have to hand it to Lilja. The guy's been solid. The only times I noticed him in the series was when he was making a good play. He's really stepped up his game. Maybe getting benched so often served as a wake-up call or something, but I hope it continues.

right on.

i guess he has made me nervous as well. course, Chelios was out of position during the series a few times. Hell, even Lidtrom blew some assignments. With Kronwall gone, I suppose you can't really get too drastic with changing up pairings if it's working pretty well.

Heard Lilja mentioned a couple times. Didn't really notice him effing up. He was +1 in the series and played about 15 minutes a game (from what I saw in the box scores).
Old 04-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #382
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Either way, we get a tough opponent, but I am hoping the Canucks win their series. We (the Ducks) I think have had a better run of success against the Canucks than against the rival Sharks (although we have played well against them, too).

On the issue of handshakes, Boogard and Lemaire didn't shake hands with the Ducks at the end of the series last week. This despite the fact that the guy they were most likely pissed at, May, was suspended and not there, and Boogard jumped the line in warmups to start crap with the Ducks before the game, took runs at our guys all series long and generally acted like the ass he is (ditto the ass comment for Lemaire). Brian Burke said Lemaire did the same thing four years ago when the Wild eliminated the Canucks, refusing to shake Crawford's hand despite his team coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win it. I know May's punch was crappy, but if the Wild think Kim Johnnson's presence would have saved them from losing the series, they're out of their minds. Boogard and Lemaire are classless.

The rest of the Wild I was mighty impressed with and think they could do very well in the future with what they're building there.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:39 PM   #383
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Rangers series should be a better one than the Isles. I don't really think it's such a bad matchp as a lot of pundits are saying.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #384
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Gary Galley made an interest point on the radio today. He said among the players, there's a concept called a "fly-by". Basically if you know a guy on other team is steamed at you, at the first opportunity you go out of your way to skate right by him. There's a good chance he'll take a poke at you, at which point you can crumple to the ice and draw a penalty. At the very least, you add to his annoyance level.

He was saying that both Holliweg and Franzen were doing pretty obvious fly-bys, and instead of a little poke they got the major league lumber. He wasn't blaming either guy (although he did think Franzen over-embellished it), just pointing out that from a player's perspective it was pretty clear what they were doing.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 04-23-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #385
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

QFT
Old 04-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #386
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

So I really want Vancouver to win tonight, for three purely selfish reasons:

- I need Turco to get shelled so that Dallas will panic and trade him to the Leafs in the summer

- I think I'll shoot myself if I have to listed to several weeks of Ottawa proclaiming themselves "Canada's team".

- I would go an unprecedented eight-for-eight in my round one predictions.

Let's go Canucks!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #387
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
So I really want Vancouver to win tonight, for three purely selfish reasons:

- I need Turco to get shelled so that Dallas will panic and trade him to the Leafs in the summer

- I think I'll shoot myself if I have to listed to several weeks of Ottawa proclaiming themselves "Canada's team".

- I would go an unprecedented eight-for-eight in my round one predictions.

Let's go Canucks!

Turco has made great strides in this series. He will be staying as the franchise rebuilds.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #388
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's a pity that a very good game has been marred by officials who decided they wanted to be the centers of attention.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #389
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's a pity that a very good game has been marred by officials who decided they wanted to be the centers of attention.

That was a very odd sequence, wasn't it. Ah well...they couldn't stay out of the box, and couldn't beat a VERY good Canucks teams. Cest la vis.

I feel bad for Marty. He was a machine.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #390
Pyser
Pro Rookie

jeez, at some point youve got to let them just play.

that was nuts at the end
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 AM   #391
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

won't Iginla be enough?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #392
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
won't Iginla be enough?
For us? No.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #393
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

my somewhat clever thoughs on the first round, if anyone is interested
http://inthecheapseats.com/archives/201
Old 04-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #394
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Okay I tallied up everyone's predictions from the first round. You got one point per correct pick. I also factored in if you picked the correct series score and that was used for tiebreaking purposes only. So here are the results after Round 1.

1. Maple Leafs 8-0-1
2t. Bsak16 7-1-4
2t. Karim 7-1-4
4. Hurst2122 6-2-3
5. Travis 6-2-1
6t. Suburban Rhythm 5-3-2
6t. Draft Dodger 5-3-2
8. General Mike 5-3-1
9. Honolulu_Blue 5-3-0
10t. Green Ceasar 4-4-1
10t. DetoxRox 4-4-1
10t. Sabotai 4-4-1
10t. RendeR 4-4-1
14. JonInMiddleGA 3-5-2

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-24-2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Adding DD&Hurst
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #395
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Okay I tallied up everyone's predictions from the first round. You got one point per correct pick. I also factored in if you picked the correct series score and that was used for tiebreaking purposes only. So here are the results after Round 1.

1. Maple Leafs 8-0-1
2t. Bsak16 7-1-4
2t. Karim 7-1-4
4. Travis 6-2-1
5. Suburban Rhythm 5-3-2
6. General Mike 5-3-1
7. Honolulu_Blue 5-3-0
8t. Green Ceasar 4-4-1
8t. DetoxRox 4-4-1
8t. Sabotai 4-4-1
8t. RendeR 4-4-1
12. JonInMiddleGA 3-5-2

Thanks for that, bsak! Middle of the pack and slightly above 50/50 is better than I thought I did.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #396
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

my somewhat clever thoughs on the first round, if anyone is interested
http://inthecheapseats.com/archives/201

Good stuff, DD!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #397
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Buffalo vs Rangers - Sabres in 6
New Jersey vs Ottawa - Ottawa in 7

Detroit vs San Jose - San Jose in 6
Anaheim vs Vancouver - Anaheim in 6
Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #398
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
1. Maple Leafs 8-0
Sorry about that guys... I'll use a spoiler tag next time.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #399
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Sorry about that guys... I'll use a spoiler tag next time.

10/10.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #400
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I forgot to post here, but here were my predictions (which I believe would have put me smack dab in the middle at 5-3-2)

Buffalo in 5
New Jersey in 6
Atlanta in 6
Ottawa in 7
Calgary in 7
Anaheim in 4
Dallas in 6
San Jose in 7

I did better in the east, even though I mostly watch western conference hockey. not sure what that says about my skillz