Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #351
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Ah, I see they were playing the Padres which means that Piazza was catching. If Mad Dog wanted to steal a base that'll be the right time to do it.

Oddly enough, Piazza wasn't to blame

He singled with two out in the fourth and then, in a strange play, stole second as Young prepared to deliver his first pitch to Juan Pierre. Young turned and threw to second, but Maddux slid under Josh Barfield's tag for his first steal since Aug. 6 at New York and the eighth of his career.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #352
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Could this be one of the most exciting baseball games of all time?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/gamece...060516_TEX@NYY
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #353
JS19
College Prospect

I watched a decent amount of that game and also saw the ending (since they decided to rain delay the mets, cardinals game after the top of the 7th instead of the bottom) and I must say, although I dislike the Yankees, that game was simply amazing.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #354
miami_fan
Coordinator

What are the chances that the Giants pitcher who plunks an Astro tonight will admit that it was in retaliation for Springer hitting Bonds last night? Or are we going to continue to play the silly game of "Oops, I did not mean to hit him, I just was trying to pitch inside Wink. Wink"
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #355
Bad-example
College Starter

Dear Mister Springer. Nice work showing your lack of class by plunking Bonds. Oh, by the way, your team was outscored 34-5 in the three game sweep.

Have a nice day.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #356
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Dear Mister Springer. Nice work showing your lack of class by plunking Bonds. Oh, by the way, your team was outscored 34-5 in the three game sweep.

Have a nice day.

LMAO!
Old 05-17-2006, 11:15 PM   #357
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Could this be one of the most exciting baseball games of all time?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/gamece...060516_TEX@NYY

Who knows how it will end, but tonight's SD/AZ game is getting there. SD was up 10-0 by the middle of the second inning, AZ got 8 runs in the 6th to pull to within 11-10, SD added 3 in the top of the 7th, and it's currently 14-10.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:46 AM   #358
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Who knows how it will end, but tonight's SD/AZ game is getting there. SD was up 10-0 by the middle of the second inning, AZ got 8 runs in the 6th to pull to within 11-10, SD added 3 in the top of the 7th, and it's currently 14-10.

And that's where it ended, unfortunately.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-18-2006, 07:06 AM   #359
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:

Have a nice day.

Yeah, good show by the Giants. Apparently, Barry told Jamey Wright not to retaliate and just shut them down. Astros got spanked.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #360
Butter
Coordinator

Crossing my fingers that the Reds are hitting rock bottom today... as Dave Williams gives up 6 runs in the first to Pittsburgh before recording a single out.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #361
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Have a nice day.

"". Springer showed himself to be a class A jackass.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 05-18-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #362
Butter
Coordinator

Griffey's 2 run single in the 7th makes it 9-7 Reds... is this the day the Reds hit rock bottom and snap out of it all at once?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #363
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
"". Springer showed himself to be a class A jackass.
Ditto. The problem I have with intentional plunkings is this - sometimes pitchers miss their targets. What if you intend to hit a guy in the hips or back, but you miss and get him in the temple? Even with batting helmets, there is the potential for serious injury (Dickie Thon anyone?), and there's just no call for that. Whatever you may think of Bonds and his juicing, there's simply no call for him to face potential serious injury over his actions.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:31 PM   #364
miami_fan
Coordinator

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...mlb&id=2449596

NEW YORK -- Theodore Lerner got a standing ovation from his soon-to-be colleagues and competitors. All that remains to complete his sale of the Washington Nationals is the paperwork.

The $450 million sale from Major League Baseball to the group headed by Lerner and Stan Kasten was unanimously approved Thursday by owners. Sometime between mid-June and mid-July, Lerner will become the team's first real owner in 4½ seasons.

"As kid who grew up as a huge Senators fan, today's vote represents a dream come true," said Lerner, who exchanged greetings with Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos, his future Washington-area rival.

"We intend to make the Nationals a winning team, playing in what will be a great ballpark, in a city that belongs to all Americans," Lerner said.

The incoming ownership must complete its financing before the deal can close. When the Nationals open their first homestand after the All-Star break on July 21, which Kasten termed a "grand reopening," there will be some changes at RFK Stadium.

Washington is 14-27, 10½ games back in the NL East, and attendance has dropped in the team's second season in the capital. Kasten, who will become team president, gave no timetable for deciding the futures of general manager Jim Bowden, manager Frank Robinson and other personnel.

"Next week we're going to all have an opportunity for the first time to meet the front office, meet the team and proceed from there," he said. "It's going to take a little while. I can't predict when or what will happen. But we're working on it every day."

Kasten said it's too late for the incoming group to influence the team's selections in next month's amateur draft, making the July 31 deadline for trades without waivers the first big baseball date for the club under the new group.

Construction already has started on the team's new ballpark, along the Anacostia River. Washington officials say it will open for the 2008, a timetable that may be hard to meet.

"Everyone has steadfastly maintained that it's going to be opening day '08," Kasten said. "At least for now, that's what they all believe, so that's what I believe."

As president of the Atlanta Braves, Kasten supervised the construction of Turner Field.

"Not just Turner Field, but all the stadiums that have come after have stressed areas that can be animated, activated, so your customers can do more than simply sit in a seat for nine innings," he said. "We think that's an important part of what modern-day customers expect, and we're certainly going to be trying to add those elements."

Kasten predicted the team would become a "flagship" franchise for baseball and a high-revenue team.

"We'll be able to compete with anyone, in particular when we're in our new stadium, and we'll try to be as wise as we can with our resources," he said.

He repeated that the team will emphasize minor leagues and scouting and stay away from high-priced free agents for now.

"I think if you're not ready to win and you squander money on that, at the expense of player development, it's foolish," he said. "Job one for us is getting to a position where we can win as fast as possible. In my judgment, the way to do that is to commit our time and energy and resources to player development. ... As soon as we're in a position to win -- I don't know if that's this year, next year or the year after -- we're going to go for it."

Baseball's other 29 teams purchased the poor-drawing Montreal Expos for $120 million in 2002, and the commissioner's office has operated the team since then. The franchise was moved to Washington for the 2005 season and renamed the Nationals.

"Would I want to do this again? No, of course not," Selig said. "But it was an emergency. We sort of almost at a certain point in our situation didn't really have much of a choice."

The other teams will make a profit on their investment in the Expos/Nationals, but Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, said the amount hasn't been determined because operating profits or losses during Major League Baseball's ownership have not been totaled.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:54 PM   #365
Ksyrup

This is a portion of the best article I've read in a long time. It's like it never ends...and I love it!

NEW YORK -- Yankees pitcher Carl Pavano will need surgery for a bone chip above his right elbow, an injury that could finish his 2006 season before it ever started.
Pavano

Pavano, who has not pitched in the major leagues since June 27 because of a variety of injuries, left a rehab start for Double-A Trenton after only nine pitches Wednesday because of forearm soreness. Tests Thursday revealed the latest injury, and Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., will operate next week.

Pavano had bone chips removed from his pitching elbow by Andrews on Aug. 22, 2000, and didn't pitch in the major leagues again until the following Aug. 15. Yankees manager Joe Torre said a timetable for Pavano's return in uncertain.

"They won't know until they get in there and see if that's all there is," Torre said. "It's not in the elbow, so that's got to be a plus."

Catcher Jorge Posada left Friday night's Subway Series opener against the Mets after 1½ innings with tightness in his upper back. Posada was hit hard Tuesday by the Texas Rangers' Mark Teixeira in a home plate collision.

Another injured Yankee, right fielder Gary Sheffield, hit off a tee Friday for the first time since the Yankees put him on the disabled list May 9 with a bruised and sprained left wrist, an injury sustained when he collided with Toronto first baseman Shea Hillenbrand on April 29.

Torre said Sheffield could start taking batting practice this weekend and return before the end of the month.

Outfielder Bubba Crosby, who strained his right hamstring during Thursday's 6-2 loss to Texas, was put on the 15-day disabled list Friday, and the Yankees purchased the contract of outfielder Mitch Jones from Triple-A Columbus. A four-time All-Star in the minors, the 28-year-old Jones has never played in the majors.

Yankees left fielder Hideki Matsui is sidelined until at least mid-August with a broken left wrist.

Andrews will also operate next week on reliever Tanyon Sturtze to repair a small tear in his right rotator cuff.

"I think it's unfair for us to count on him the rest of the year," Torre said.

Shawn Chacon, replaced by Aaron Small as the starter for Sunday night's series finale because of welt just below the knee on the inside of his left leg, said he expects to take his next turn in the rotation after that.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #366
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I have little sympathy for the Yankees in general, and this news just makes me glad the M's were unsuccessful in wooing Pavano as a free agent a couple of years ago. However, I agree with Rob Neyer's stance on violent home plate collisions being bad for baseball and against the spirit of the game, and this would seem to be further proof of that (though I admit to not being familiar with exactly what happened with Pavano and Teixeira - did he he intentionally plow into Pavano, or was it an accident?)
Old 05-20-2006, 12:08 AM   #367
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Freakin' Reitsma.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #368
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Am I the only one who would rather watch the Mariners/Padres or Reds/Tigers or something like that- you know, baseball- rather than be stuck with the hypefest Yanks/Mets on both national broadcasts Saturday (Fox) and Sunday (ESPN)? Heck, even Cubs/White Sox or Red Sox/Phils are pretty sexy matchups that they could have on one of those and we wouldn't have to watch both New York crapfests.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #369
Ksyrup

No, you're not. I was fliipping between most of the other games all night and didn't bother with the Yanks/Mets at all. Although I was glad the Yanks lost, of course. I've found myself watching their games late when they have a chance to lose, just because it's so much fun.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:05 PM   #370
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Woh, what was up with that Michael Barrett punch?

Pierzynsky may be an ass off the field, but what Barrett did is totally bush league.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #371
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Woh, what was up with that Michael Barrett punch?

Pierzynsky may be an ass off the field, but what Barrett did is totally bush league.

That was about the pussiest move I have ever seen. The guy is a catcher and can't take a little, and perfectly legal, collision at the plate.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #372
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Video of The Fight (tm).

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctsYoWLgtuY

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 05-20-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #373
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Am I the only one who would rather watch the Mariners/Padres or Reds/Tigers or something like that- you know, baseball- rather than be stuck with the hypefest Yanks/Mets on both national broadcasts Saturday (Fox) and Sunday (ESPN)? Heck, even Cubs/White Sox or Red Sox/Phils are pretty sexy matchups that they could have on one of those and we wouldn't have to watch both New York crapfests.

SI

The Cubs are a appealing team to watch right now???? The Yankees-Mets game is the day game to watch today.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #374
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Old 05-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #375
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Liriano here! Get your Francisco Liriano here!
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #376
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Heh.. good stuff

Bonser makes his MLB debut tomorrow BTW.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #377
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
That was about the pussiest move I have ever seen. The guy is a catcher and can't take a little, and perfectly legal, collision at the plate.

No, it isn't. Read the Neyer article in question. AJ slammed into him even though he didn't have the ball - hitting a guy who has no ability to protect himself (think of it as the fair catch equivalent) doesn't make you a "man" - it makes you a dickhead.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #378
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
No, it isn't. Read the Neyer article in question. AJ slammed into him even though he didn't have the ball - hitting a guy who has no ability to protect himself (think of it as the fair catch equivalent) doesn't make you a "man" - it makes you a dickhead.

I tend to disagree here. I haven't checked out that article yet, but if I am coming towards the plate and the catcher is blocking it, ball in hand or not, I would expect anyone to plow his ass over.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:05 PM   #379
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I wonder if the Nats new owner is going to change the name of the team next season to capitalize on selling new stuff.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #380
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
I wonder if the Nats new owner is going to change the name of the team next season to capitalize on selling new stuff.

uh.. no chance
Old 05-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #381
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Bullshit, I remember back in the day when catchers had class and took the hits. As a guy running to home, you can't predict that the throw will or won't be there, it's a bang bang play.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #382
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
I tend to disagree here. I haven't checked out that article yet, but if I am coming towards the plate and the catcher is blocking it, ball in hand or not, I would expect anyone to plow his ass over.
Read the article - Neyer makes some very good points. Probably the biggest issue is the reluctance of umpires to make a judgement call in this situation, the result being they almost never call catchers for blocking the plate, which leads to the football-style collisions at home plate.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #383
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Even Barrett's manager isn't backing him on his b.s. action

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260520104
"I asked Michael what happened and Michael said he (Pierzynski) hit him without the ball, but that's baseball to me," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said during an in-game TV interview.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #384
General Mike
Pro Starter

Time for someone to give Dusty Baker a vote of confidence.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #385
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ouch! Ouch! Looks like Brian McCann just suffered a nasty ankle injury! Wow
Old 05-20-2006, 09:38 PM   #386
Ksyrup

I once plowed into a catcher waiting for a throw in a little league game. Knocked him all the way to the fence. Made me feel like a man, too.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:42 PM   #387
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I once plowed into a catcher waiting for a throw in a little league game. Knocked him all the way to the fence. Made me feel like a man, too.
I once broke a leg of a goalie in soccer in three places, charging the ball and going for a kick.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:08 PM   #388
Schmidty
Coordinator

Great game between the Tigers and Reds.

Thank goodness the Tigs pull off the lucky win.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:55 PM   #389
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Marlins pitching staff seems to be wearing the Braves uniforms tonight. 13-0 in the 8th.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:07 AM   #390
Terps
College Prospect

Rodrigo Lopez sucks. Bruce Chen pitches tomm, and without seeing him pitch I can say the same thing about him. They both need to go far, far away.

Bring up Hayden Penn.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:01 PM   #391
miami_fan
Coordinator

Scott Kazmir was amazing today. Yes it was against the Marlins but he really pitched well. 11 Ks and 1 walk over 8 innings.

Kudos to Joe Maddon for not getting caught up in the moment and pushing him to try for the shutout.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #392
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yikes, he still threw 115 pitches. Though at least he didn't pitch the 9th and add, potentially 10 more to that number.

Kazmir is a stud... freaking Mets!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #393
miami_fan
Coordinator

Actually it was 119, but honestly he did not begin to labor until the bottom of the 8th. They immediately got Walker ready in the pen and as soon as Kazmir got to the dugout, they let him know he was done.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #394
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Actually it was 119, but honestly he did not begin to labor until the bottom of the 8th. They immediately got Walker ready in the pen and as soon as Kazmir got to the dugout, they let him know he was done.

Best to get a young stud like Kazmir out before he labors.

Though then again, if he usually doesn't go this far, one time won't hurt him too badly.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #395
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps
Rodrigo Lopez sucks. Bruce Chen pitches tomm, and without seeing him pitch I can say the same thing about him. They both need to go far, far away.

Bring up Hayden Penn.

...and I get my wish. Penn will start on Tuesday.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #396
kingfc22
Head Coach

Uhh wow. David Wright just killed that ball.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #397
Logan
Head Coach

Yes, Jon Miller, WE GET IT!!! "Colter Bean" is a weird name. Please move on.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:00 PM   #398
Logan
Head Coach

Haha...typical A-Rod at-bat...6-4-3.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:23 AM   #399
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Braves fan here. Can we please get a decent fucking closer?

BTW, as a kick in the nuts, Kolb is 2-0 with a 2.84 ERA so far. However, his WHIP is 1.66, so he's probably bound to blow up soon.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #400
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wow, is any lead safe for the Cubs?
(Although with the Braves bullpen situation Dempster may end up with a win yet)