NevStar
High School Varsity

Dean Houston sucks.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:24 PM   #352
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivnLegend
I'm a "crybaby" for standing up for morality and my own beliefs?

Morality?? You're a thief for christs sake. You can cry all you want too about what's been done to you but you're a thief.

I don't care if you painted the car, changed the engine and rotated the tires, you still stole the car. Trying to jsutify it because you did work on it is the height of immorality at best, base stupidity at worst.

Got that everybody who talks about how much work he did. He stole the images. He's a thief. Period.

Now, I don't give a flip about the files or the issues involved but don't you dare bring morality in it because you obviously don't understand the term nor do you even inadvertantly practice it. Not on this issue anyway.

Damn, thanks for reminding me yet again why I hate people. Now go pat yourself on the back for how moral you are and how well you can selectively practice enforcing them and believing in them, thief.

Others can see right through the act.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:26 PM   #353
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
Morality?? You're a thief for christs sake. You can cry all you want too about what's been done to you but you're a thief.

I don't care if you painted the car, changed the engine and rotated the tires, you still stole the car. Trying to jsutify it because you did work on it is the height of immorality at best, base stupidity at worst.

Got that everybody who talks about how much work he did. He stole the images. He's a thief. Period.

Now, I don't give a flip about the files or the issues involved but don't you dare bring morality in it because you obviously don't understand the term nor do you even inadvertantly practice it. Not on this issue anyway.

Damn, thanks for reminding me yet again why I hate people. Now go pat yourself on the back for how moral you are and how well you can selectively practice enforcing them and believing in them, thief.

Others can see right through the act.

While you're at it, don't forget to rant on Skydog for being a thief as well if you're going to use that logic.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:29 PM   #354
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
While you're at it, don't forget to rant on Skydog for being a thief as well if you're going to use that logic.

Sorry Chubby, I didn't read Skydog say he was taking the moral high ground. That's what I'm talking about. If he does I'll call him on it. Until then, at least he's not being a hypocrite. As I said, I don't use the files so the issue is moot to me. I just can't stand hypocrites pretending to be moral.

Screw that.

Last edited by Axxon : 06-30-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:30 PM   #355
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry Subby, I didn't read Skydog say he was taking the moral high ground. That's what I'm talking about. If he does I'll call him on it. Until then, at least he's not being a hypocrite. As I said, I don't use the files so the issue is moot to me. I just can't stand hypocrites pretending to be moral.

Screw that.
ewww don't confuse me with Subby
Old 06-30-2004, 08:31 PM   #356
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
ewww don't confuse me with Subby

Sorry, I'll fix it.

I am typing quick because my lunch break is almost over and it's too busy right now to post while I'm working.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:35 PM   #357
Radii
Head Coach

I just felt left out not having a post in this thread. But now I have to go make two posts in Senator's 14 year old thread b/c I really do like that one better.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:52 PM   #358
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadik
Fair enough SD, but I think he was perfectly legitimate in protesting his work being packaged into something else. Like countless people have suggested, if Killbrew, DD, and LL had been cited first, then this would be less of an issue.

Ok, now I'm confused, would that be the work he stole or the coat of paint, new engine etc that he added to the stolen work???

I'm not saying that SD shouldn't have done what you said but still, legitimately protesting the stealing of stolen material? THIS is irony my friends.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:57 PM   #359
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok, now I'm confused, would that be the work he stole or the coat of paint, new engine etc that he added to the stolen work???

I'm not saying that SD shouldn't have done what you said but still, legitimately protesting the stealing of stolen material? THIS is irony my friends.

I think your frayed logic is pretty much keeping you one of the lone shouters of the "stolen property" bullcrap. He took pictures from various internet sites, that i'm sure neither the owners or photographers of would give a good god damn that he took them. It is nothing akin to stealing something from someone else. By your logic we are all stealing if were using wallpaper that was a jpeg that was scanned or put up by a magazine.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:59 PM   #360
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

wow - Axxon sure knows how to come in and give a few kicks to a dead horse, eh?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:00 PM   #361
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
wow - Axxon sure knows how to come in and give a few kicks to a dead horse, eh?

There is a night time crowd here ya know.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:02 PM   #362
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Grant
I'm not sure what the majority thinks about this facepack but here are my positive and negative thoughts:

Positive:
- It's a different way to get these pictures without having to download the individual facepacks.
- SD and/or his affiliated Christian Youth web site is providing the online storage of the file so no costs are being passed on to anyone else.

Negative:
- No permission or credit given to the folks who found, cut/cropped/centered/resized/color enhanced/color-reduced/named-numbered/tested and originally posted these images.

I was one of those folks, I spent over 200 hours putting together nearly half of the images in the "SkyDog Compilation of Fictional Photos", and I don't think it's unreasonable for me to be annoyed when he spends a few hours on this project and then puts his name to it. If the individual facepacks he took images from were hard to find that would be another thing entirely, but these facepacks are easy to find. I think a little effort to credit the folks who did the actual work on these would have been easy to do. SkyDog, if you see this post, is there any reason you did not provide a readme crediting the folks who did the actual work?

Lets replace found with the proper term. Stole. Used without permission.

See, every time someone says something like
Quote:
If the individual facepacks he took images from were hard to find that would be another thing entirely
it's illogical. Stealing is stealing. There aren't 5 levels of stealing, Larry Miller, there just aren't.

Again, no reason he shouldn't have credited his fellow thieves but as the thread showed, he gave almost the verbatim credit that the original thief gave. If we try and go down the erroneous road of assuming levels of theft and why LL and your theft was perfectly fine and his wasn't then we're following an unsupportable logic.

The proof is in this simple question. Did you or LL or any of the original face pack creators have the expressed consent of the creators of the content you provided?

As far as I know, the answer is no, therefore really, the issue, once all the superfluous crap is boiled away is exactly the same so how can anyone work up a legitimate outrage???

You can't if you're being ethical and honest.

I don't mean this as a slam to you or anyone else, btw. I'm pointing out the fallacy that drives those who support the original hissy fit. I wouldn't have even done that, even though the lack of logical thought was sticking in my craw big time, but he had to go and say he had the moral high ground.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:02 PM   #363
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
I just felt left out not having a post in this thread. But now I have to go make two posts in Senator's 14 year old thread b/c I really do like that one better.

It is self motivated posters like this that give me hope for this great country.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:07 PM   #364
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
I think your frayed logic is pretty much keeping you one of the lone shouters of the "stolen property" bullcrap. He took pictures from various internet sites, that i'm sure neither the owners or photographers of would give a good god damn that he took them. It is nothing akin to stealing something from someone else. By your logic we are all stealing if were using wallpaper that was a jpeg that was scanned or put up by a magazine.

So, stealing isn't stealing if the original owners don't complain?? See, they weren't even consulted so how could they complain? Your logic makes no sense. Ever heard the term "without the express written consent of..."?? It means something and the original poster himself stated that he cropped out "team logos" so it's stealing. Lets not call it ok because the one stolen from doesn't know it's stolen. That's stupid.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:08 PM   #365
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
There is a night time crowd here ya know.

Thanks. You said that far nicer than I would have but I would mean the same thing.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:08 PM   #366
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
It is self motivated posters like this that give me hope for this great country.

Cease and desist from lobbying in my thread looking for stragglers for a lost cause. Take your medicine like a man!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:11 PM   #367
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So, stealing isn't stealing if the original owners don't complain?? See, they weren't even consulted so how could they complain? Your logic makes no sense. Ever heard the term "without the express written consent of..."?? It means something and the original poster himself stated that he cropped out "team logos" so it's stealing. Lets not call it ok because the one stolen from doesn't know it's stolen. That's stupid.

Is there a difference between speeding 5 MPH over the speed limit and speeding 40 MPH over the speed limit?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:13 PM   #368
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

So by that logic, every single art mod made for FOF and OOTP is stolen material?
My logic makes perfect sense, your making a very, very, very, very big stretch by calling what LL did stealing.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:16 PM   #369
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is there a difference between speeding 5 MPH over the speed limit and speeding 40 MPH over the speed limit?

Nope.

I've been busted for both and I didn't complain either time. I may not be particularly moral but I do try and be intellectually and morally honest and consistant.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:17 PM   #370
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator

When you are elected as President twenty years down the road I'll be expecting to hear a shout out to Radii during your inaugural address...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:18 PM   #371
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
So by that logic, every single art mod made for FOF and OOTP is stolen material?
My logic makes perfect sense, your making a very, very, very, very big stretch by calling what LL did stealing.

If it uses someone elses art then yes, it is. I don't have a problem with that, honestly. It's stealing and it's minor, etc, etc but it's stealing. It only burns me when the thief then complains when someone does similar to them and even then it only bugs me when they claim the moral high ground where it doesn't exist.

All I can say about your logic, you know, it isn't stealing if the victim doesn't find out, is that's the very reason I have to lock my doors at night.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:18 PM   #372
Suicane75
Coordinator

BTW, just thought of this, but if the pages he took the pages from did not have a note saying that the pics were copyrighted material or a price tag, then yes, i would assume that they are free to use.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:19 PM   #373
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nope.

I've been busted for both and I didn't complain either time. I may not be particularly moral but I do try and be intellectually and morally honest and consistant.

There isn't? The law would beg to differ. Somehow I doubt you got the same amount of fines/points for both.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:20 PM   #374
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:

no... they are both illegal
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:20 PM   #375
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If it uses someone elses art then yes, it is. I don't have a problem with that, honestly. It's stealing and it's minor, etc, etc but it's stealing. It only burns me when the thief then complains when someone does similar to them and even then it only bugs me when they claim the moral high ground where it doesn't exist.

All I can say about your logic, you know, it isn't stealing if the victim doesn't find out, is that's the very reason I have to lock my doors at night.
Again, there is a difference that you don't see that others (including me) do.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:21 PM   #376
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
no... they are both illegal
Again, yes there is.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:21 PM   #377
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

That is not what i'm saying and equating me to someone who'll sneak in your house at night is another giant stretch in a series of them from you.
Dude, it's the internet, i'm pretty sure that the guys making the website realize that those pics are gonna be downloaded. Calling someone immoral because they download and use pictures of baseball players in a baseball game is just........dumb.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #378
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
BTW, just thought of this, but if the pages he took the pages from did not have a note saying that the pics were copyrighted material or a price tag, then yes, i would assume that they are free to use.

Well, damned, I'd better label everything in my house when you come to town then. You're liable to just help yourself to anything of mine you want because I don't have either on them. Want my car too? It doesn't have a price tag on it and if you don't look in the glove box you won't even see that it belongs to anybody. That's cool, right??

Right???
Old 06-30-2004, 09:29 PM   #379
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Again, yes there is.

No, there isn't. There's NO sliding scale of legality or morality. People invent the sliding scale to protect their own ego's and justify their own actions/thoughts. I'm not bad but Joey over there, he's a jerk.

I'm just being honest about it. I steal, I break the law, I break a commandment or two. I'm just not going to bullshit myself and say it's ok because it's only 5 mph. I abhor that and it's one of the main reason people are so screwed up IMHO. If we agreed to the same set of rules then maybe we'd treat each other a little bit better.

We don't though and we get problems like today.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:29 PM   #380
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, damned, I'd better label everything in my house when you come to town then. You're liable to just help yourself to anything of mine you want because I don't have either on them. Want my car too? It doesn't have a price tag on it and if you don't look in the glove box you won't even see that it belongs to anybody. That's cool, right??

Right???

Yes, thats the perfect equation. It's so dumb it doesn't even deserve the smiley.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #381
Calis
College Starter

At least there's one thing every one in this thread can agree on...

Infogrames rocks our world.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #382
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
No, there isn't. There's NO sliding scale of legality or morality. People invent the sliding scale to protect their own ego's and justify their own actions/thoughts. I'm not bad but Joey over there, he's a jerk.

And the biggest irony? My name is Joey!!!! Now that's bizzare.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #383
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
That is not what i'm saying and equating me to someone who'll sneak in your house at night is another giant stretch in a series of them from you.
Dude, it's the internet, i'm pretty sure that the guys making the website realize that those pics are gonna be downloaded. Calling someone immoral because they download and use pictures of baseball players in a baseball game is just........dumb.

So then we agree, calling SkyDog immoral because he downloaded and used pictures of baseball players in a baseball game is just....dumb.

That's exactly what he did, you know.

My work here appears to be done.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:32 PM   #384
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

And you're a jerk, Joey...A JERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 06-30-2004 at 09:34 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:33 PM   #385
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, thats the perfect equation. It's so dumb it doesn't even deserve the smiley.

You said that if you didn't see a copywrite notice or a price tag you'd assume it was free, not me. That is indeed dumb and that's why I didn't use a smiley.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:33 PM   #386
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
So then we agree, calling SkyDog immoral because he downloaded and used pictures of baseball players in a baseball game is just....dumb.

That's exactly what he did, you know.

Yes, but by your logic, in order for you to be right, you would have to be wrong. I win.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:34 PM   #387
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

That is bizarre indeed.

I didn't mean you, honest.

We're just having a discussion.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:34 PM   #388
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
You said that if you didn't see a copywrite notice or a price tag you'd assume it was free, not me. That is indeed dumb and that's why I didn't use a smiley.

No no no, i said a picture on the internet. For you to make the leap of logic that it would stretch to your car, your tv or your toilet paper is dumb.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:36 PM   #389
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, but by your logic, in order for you to be right, you would have to be wrong. I win.

Look, my brain hurts enough balancing both full time work and an internet discussion at the same time. This one is just toooo much.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:36 PM   #390
The_herd
College Starter

And now this thread is dumb...
Old 06-30-2004, 09:36 PM   #391
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Well played.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #392
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm just being honest about it. I steal, I break the law, I break a commandment or two. I'm just not going to bullshit myself and say it's ok because it's only 5 mph. I abhor that and it's one of the main reason people are so screwed up IMHO. If we agreed to the same set of rules then maybe we'd treat each other a little bit better.

We don't though and we get problems like today.

Again, if it's the same thing then the fine is the same right?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #393
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:

hahahaha! that makes my head hurt
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:40 PM   #394
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
No no no, i said a picture on the internet. For you to make the leap of logic that it would stretch to your car, your tv or your toilet paper is dumb.

Again, only because you subscribe to a sliding scale of morality and I don't. I think stealing is stealing and stealing is wrong, whether it's a picture on the internet, a piece of candy or my car.

Yes, there are degrees of theft but they are ALL morally wrong and therefore if you're in that glass house you shouldn't throw stones. That's what I've been trying to say. It's not a difficult concept.

You, amongst many, seem to be saying that certain theft is indeed morally correct because it's so minor. This is what I object to.

Strongly.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:40 PM   #395
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Well played.

Thank you very much.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:41 PM   #396
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Again, if it's the same thing then the fine is the same right?

How does that follow?

Read my second to last post to see my answer to this. I'm not retyping it.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:43 PM   #397
vtbub
College Starter

*is glad he drinks bottled water*

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:46 PM   #398
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

man, I don't think any post after Subby tearing into Noop was really worth reading here. If you got that far, the rest is just redundant.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:46 PM   #399
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Again, only because you subscribe to a sliding scale of morality and I don't. I think stealing is stealing and stealing is wrong, whether it's a picture on the internet, a piece of candy or my car.

Yes, there are degrees of theft but they are ALL morally wrong and therefore if you're in that glass house you shouldn't throw stones. That's what I've been trying to say. It's not a difficult concept.

You, amongst many, seem to be saying that certain theft is indeed morally correct because it's so minor. This is what I object to.

Strongly.

If you feel so strongly about it I would hope you don't ever use and roster packs/face packs/tweaked sliders/mods without express written consent from the appropriate people.

EDIT: And, according to you a theif can't call another person a theif even when they are?

Last edited by Chubby : 06-30-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:47 PM   #400
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop

Wow I was getting hammered for a sentence mistake god forbid i should every mess up a sentence.

The hits...they keep on coming!!

noop is at least golden for UIC!